Democrat-Led Chaos On House Floor Was Unavoidable: Abhisit

webfact

Democrat-led chaos on House floor was unavoidable: Abhisit

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Members of the Democrat Party had no choice but to be rude in order to block a dangerous legislative move that could bring the country to ruin, party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday.

"Insolence on the part of the Democrats was unavoidable because they were denied the right to speak on the House floor," he said.

Abhisit went on to say that the chaos in the House of Representatives on Wednesday and Thursday had happened because the ruling coalition refused to let the opposition air its dissenting opinions on the draft provisions for national reconciliation.

"Certain academics reminded the Democrats to abide by the majority vote, but I think the majority rule does not apply to nor sanction the other side's bullying the opposition to abuse the legislative process," he said.

The fracas between Democrat and Pheu Thai MPs broke out after House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont decided to give the reconciliation draft top priority without allowing for the issue to be debated first.

The Democrat Party leader said the prime minister should take the lead in resolving differences over the draft instead of trying to skirt the issue.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra cannot deny that there is a conflict of interest in the proposed amnesty bill, because she has a Bt900-million stake in the Bt46 billion in assets seized from her brother Thaksin, Abhisit said.

He went on to insist that the draft should be deliberated upon as a financial issue, because the government would be obliged to return the seized assets. Although the 35 House committees voted to classify the draft as a non-fiscal issue, this decision was arbitrary, he said.

As for the rallies being held in protest of the draft, he said he hoped they would encourage the Parliament to resolve the differences. However, Abhisit denied Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung's allegations that the Democrats were backing the protests led by the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Promphong Nopparit has also said that the Democrats under Abhisit's leadership have brought shame to Parliament.

Promphong has also promised to spearhead an impeachment drive against certain Democrats, including Rangsima Rodrasamee, Warong Dechgitvikrom and Apichat Supapang.

Meanwhile, Deputy Agriculture Minister Natthawut Saikua said Abhisit should quit the Democrat Party because of his role in trying to undermine Parliament.

"Abhisit's action was meant to destroy Parliament," he said, adding that the Democrat leader wanted |to make it appear as if mainstream politics had failed in order to pave the way for an intervention to usurp power.

Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadol Pattama said Abhisit and Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban had shown their true colours - they were not democracy advocates but opportunists who wanted to grab power regardless of the means and consequences.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-02

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I see the Korean or Taiwanese Parliament kicking off I grin as "Everybody Was Kung <deleted> Fighting" by Karl Douglas runs through my head

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

... Meanwhile, Deputy Agriculture Minister Natthawut Saikua said Abhisit should quit the Democrat Party because of his role in trying to undermine Parliament.

"Abhisit's action was meant to destroy Parliament," he said, adding that the Democrat leader wanted |to make it appear as if mainstream politics had failed in order to pave the way for an intervention to usurp power....

If this isn't libelous speech I can't see what is.

Of course trying to silence dissenting opinions in debate in the Parliament

is exactly against the whole parliamentary function. ie. Un-democratic.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Imagine,a PTP placeman telling others about undermining parliament,Hypocrite.Talking about what the government is planning with so called reconciiiation needs to be aired.but when a speaker prevents then anger will explode. Somsaks a KK thaksin bidder , I know

nt from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by KKvampire

And some time ago, I hear he said, ...

"Insolence on the part of the UDD was unavoidable because they were denied the right to vote for the government,"

just kidding smile.png

TV3 had a nice piece showing parliaments around the world 'getting a bit out of control' - a bit humorous except for the fact that all of the people seen beating on each other were supposed to be there to govern...

......the nation, and not to give absolute priority to bills beneficial to their master and themselves.

A bill which could cost the country at least B46 billion is not financial. The same bill which will reap the PM B900 million, and save several MPs from facing possible execution is not a conflict of interest. Why is that - because they said it is so.

Whenever I see the Korean or Taiwanese Parliament kicking off I grin as "Everybody Was Kung <deleted> Fighting" by Karl Douglas runs through my head

Yes,"it was a little bit frightening", but I'm not so sure that, "those cats had expert timing"....??

• Like 1

Another stellar example of how the Democrat party under the titular leadership of Mr. Abhisit lost another opportunity to position itself as an alternative to the other political parties. A feeble excuse is given by Mr. Abhisit to explain away his inability to maintain party discipline. There are parliamentary procedures that can be used to hold up a bill and through which those opposed can both oppose a bill and make the governing party look foolish. Unfortunately, the Democrats did not heed the advice of some of its sitting MPs that have the knowledge and instead, the Democrat "managers" allowed some members to run wild.

Thailand needs an alternative to the the PTP and as long as Mr. Abhisit cannot command the respect of his MPs to the point that they will follow a proper strategy or maintain discipline in the House, the Democrats will never be perceived as that alternative. The Democrats could have thought this out, devised a plan and stuck to that plan, but planning and discipline are apparently foreign concepts. Maybe, the vote would have been lost, but the Democrats could have staked out the moral higher ground and been seen as the voice of reason. Now, they are no better than a rowdy mob. How can they be taken seriously?

The military leadership will pay attention to those that are strong and have discipline.Is it any wonder, why the military is distancing itself from Mr. Abhisit and his flighty coterie of well dressed and nicely coiffed advisers?

• Like 1

Yes,"it was a little bit frightening", but I'm not so sure that, "those cats had expert timing"....??

laugh.png

"Insolence on the part of the UDD was unavoidable because they were denied the right to vote for the government,"

just kidding smile.png

You are suggesting that what UDD got up to in 2009 and 2010 was akin to insolence?!

OK. I see why you are kidding. The comparison is nonsense.

Another stellar example of how the Democrat party under the titular leadership of Mr. Abhisit lost another opportunity to position itself as an alternative to the other political parties. A feeble excuse is given by Mr. Abhisit to explain away his inability to maintain party discipline. There are parliamentary procedures that can be used to hold up a bill and through which those opposed can both oppose a bill and make the governing party look foolish. Unfortunately, the Democrats did not heed the advice of some of its sitting MPs that have the knowledge and instead, the Democrat "managers" allowed some members to run wild.

Thailand needs an alternative to the the PTP and as long as Mr. Abhisit cannot command the respect of his MPs to the point that they will follow a proper strategy or maintain discipline in the House, the Democrats will never be perceived as that alternative. The Democrats could have thought this out, devised a plan and stuck to that plan, but planning and discipline are apparently foreign concepts. Maybe, the vote would have been lost, but the Democrats could have staked out the moral higher ground and been seen as the voice of reason. Now, they are no better than a rowdy mob. How can they be taken seriously?

The military leadership will pay attention to those that are strong and have discipline.Is it any wonder, why the military is distancing itself from Mr. Abhisit and his flighty coterie of well dressed and nicely coiffed advisers?

Biased b***it.and I tell you why.PTP are so wedded to the ultimate result of getting their beloved fugitive criminal ex PM back and facing no legal charges.Taking any moral high ground and sitting back will achieve nothing. The Thai people who are not Thaksin lackies need to wake up and see what ir going on

Sent from my LG-P350 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by KKvampire
  • Like 2

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Promphong Nopparit has also said that the Democrats under Abhisit's leadership have brought shame to Parliament.

This ridiculous bill brings shame to parliament and is an insult to democracy everywhere

Posters suggesting let bygones be bygones are puddled in the head, someone kills your mother and you say never mind. Unforgivable is the word and all who do very wrong should have to pay the penalty. Agreed some VERY lesser charges could be looked at again for review. What the Government is doing is shut up-you cannot speak, and we will do everything we can to get the money back. All the pro government posters should see this is BAD and NOT good and fair governance. (NO MATTER WHAT THEIR OPINION IS OF THE OPPOSITION)

• Like 1

Translated from Khun Korn's Facebook:

Why are the Dems so adamant about opposing the reconciliation (read "get out of jail free") bill? Some see the Dems actions in parliament as being inappropriate and perhaps even barbaric.

Why can't we just let it go and let bygones be bygones, some ask...

The simple answer is: if we let this Bill pass then Thaksin will in effect reverse two court decisions, get his money back, be able to run for office again - as someone who has done no wrong.

The more complex answer is: Thailand will become a democracy in name, but in effect we will have a parliament that can do anything, even reverse court decisions and turn wrongs into rights.

Any society where leaders can whitewash themselves of corruption verdicts is a weak and unstable one.

One of our neighbors, the Philippines is also sliding into a slippery slope, not because of the on-going corruption investigation on former President Arroyo but because President Aquino has been allegedly accused of illegally interfering with the Supreme Court - resulting from a personal vendetta by President Aquino following a landmark Supreme Court ruling in 2011 to break up Hacienda Luisita, a giant sugar estate owned by the president's clan.

Thailand's respect for the rule of law is no better, even though we have agencies like the DSI (Dept of Special Investigations), the Chief of the DSI seems to change his position / policy every time there is a change in government. He once found Thaksin being guilty of corruption, today he is reversing his decision.

Worse, is when the parliament rams through a Bill that reverses a judicial ruling for self-interest - that is the lowest of low.

If we don't fight now, there might be nothing left to fight for. Our behavior in parliament is a reflection of how we feel about the "Amnesty Bill" - absolutely, totally, unmentionably unacceptable.

I have no respect for this man.

The same man ( a pad member) who accused thaksin of avoiding tax on the sale of his company having done the exact same thing already. "well I'm not the PM."

The "assets scrutiny committee" set up by his pad colleagues after the coup only ever scrutinized the assets of one man.

As thaksin himself has said:

"the charges (and the convictions) are a joke. Everybody knows this."

6 yrs after the coup and no substantial charges have been brought against thaksin.

All we ever hear is (sinister voices off) further more serious charges are being prepared.

We saw plenty of blatant examples of corruption under the abhisit regime.

Let's not forget after the demonstrations the redshirts were labelled terrorists and 150 major presumed donors to the udd had their accounts frozen etc.

Remember the aim in seizing thaksin's assets was supposed to thwart the udd but and the bbc and others (Rachel harvey, good reporter, not yet charged with LM unlike Jonathan head, 2 counts!) showed funds were raised through gala dinners raffles etc. By the poor.

My brother went to Winchester

With Korn, they're the same age and he doesn't remember him.

What's one more stockbroker amongst many. That's what most of my brothers contempories

seem to go on to do.

How daring!

Makes me think of Cameron's father. Very rich.

But then I'm supposed to be a Tory

• Like 1

Why are the Dems so adamant about opposing the reconciliation (read "get out of jail free") bill? Some see the Dems actions in parliament as being inappropriate and perhaps even barbaric.

The simple answer is: if we let this Bill pass then Thaksin will in effect reverse two court decisions, get his money back, be able to run for office again - as someone who has done no wrong.

The more complex answer is: Thailand will become a democracy in name, but in effect we will have a parliament that can do anything, even reverse court decisions and turn wrongs into rights.

Any society where leaders can whitewash themselves of corruption verdicts is a weak and unstable one.

One of our neighbors, the Philippines is also sliding into a slippery slope, not because of the on-going corruption investigation on former President Arroyo but because President Aquino has been allegedly accused of illegally interfering with the Supreme Court - resulting from a personal vendetta by President Aquino following a landmark Supreme Court ruling in 2011 to break up Hacienda Luisita, a giant sugar estate owned by the president's clan.

Thailand's respect for the rule of law is no better, even though we have agencies like the DSI (Dept of Special Investigations), the Chief of the DSI seems to change his position / policy every time there is a change in government. He once found Thaksin being guilty of corruption, today he is reversing his decision.

Worse, is when the parliament rams through a Bill that reverses a judicial ruling for self-interest - that is the lowest of low.

If we don't fight now, there might be nothing left to fight for. Our behavior in parliament is a reflection of how we feel about the "Amnesty Bill" - absolutely, totally, unmentionably unacceptable.

As a Financier I can understand him not knowing the nuances of the Judicial System but surely even Korn must realise that the DSI can only recommend to the Attorney General that charges are forwarded to the courts. He cannot decide the outcome of the investigation. Talk about disrespect for the Rule of Law!

The same man ( a pad member) who accused thaksin of avoiding tax on the sale of his company having done the exact same thing already. "well I'm not the PM."

The "assets scrutiny committee" set up by his pad colleagues after the coup only ever scrutinized the assets of one man.

6 yrs after the coup and no substantial charges have been brought against thaksin.

All we ever hear is (sinister voices off) further more serious charges are being prepared.

Let's not forget after the demonstrations the redshirts were labelled terrorists and 150 major presumed donors to the udd had their accounts frozen etc.

Remember the aim in seizing thaksin's assets was supposed to thwart the udd but and the bbc and others (Rachel harvey, good reporter, not yet charged with LM unlike Jonathan head, 2 counts!) showed funds were raised through gala dinners raffles etc. By the poor.

What's one more stockbroker amongst many. That's what most of my brothers contempories

seem to go on to do.

How daring!

well what utter garbage.so Thaksin was convicted but as your PTPUDD buddies claim it was all a fix by the judges who didnt happen to be on Thaksins payroll.:lol:

Edited by KKvampire
  • Like 1

seem to go on to do.

How daring!

Korn a PAD member? No other serious charges against Thaksin? Gala dinners by the poor? You must be joking......

• Like 1

seem to go on to do.

How daring!

well what utter garbage.so Thaksin was convicted but as your PTPUDD buddies claim it was all a fix by the judges who didnt happen to be on Thaksins payroll.laugh.png

In its constant strive to attract foreign investment, Thailand has neglected to establish controls for any funds being transferred into the Kingdom from abroad. Meanwhile, control mechanisms do exist for outgoing funds. This is, for example, one of the reasons why it was discovered that former prime minister – and since fugitive convicted criminal – Thaksin Shinawatra had transferred his shares in Shin Corporation to a mailbox company in the British Virgin Islands audaciously called “Ample Rich Co., Ltd.”, a name that haunts him to this day. The influx of foreign funds has paralyzed Thailand in its actions how to trace the origins of such payments, which has effectively transformed the country into one of the easiest places where to hide your ill-gotten wealth – and made it attractive to the mafia.

http://www.thailawforum.com/foreign-mafia-thailand.html

"Share Transfers - The fascinating Ample Rich Tax Case comes to an end" By Steven Herring, April 2012

http://www.sherrings.com/Share-Transfers---The-fascinating-Ample-Rich-Tax-Case-in-Thailand-comes-to-an-end.php

"Thaksin accused over 'hot money'" May 1, 2007

"DSI uncovers links to laundering and other irregularities, Surayud charges"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/01/headlines/headlines_30033107.php

"Special Report: Thaksin´s 76 bn THB asset seizure case" News Date : 10 Febuary 2010

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255302100028

"TRT was found guilty of allowing its former leader, ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to abuse Thailand's April 2006 election as a "tool for monopolizing power" -- specifically for instigating the hiring and paying of smaller political parties to participate in the election. TRT now will be disbanded, and all of its present and former executives will be banned from domestic politics for five years"

"The party used the parliamentary election as "a means to achieve totalitarian power," Judge Vichai Chuenchompoonuj said. "It goes to show that the ... defendant does not believe in the democratic system." Associated Press

"During his five years as premier, Thaksin had grown too big for his fine Italian shoes for the establishment's liking. Even the king's speeches chastised Thaksin, whose wealth - second only to that of the monarchy - bought immense power and sway. He touched the masses through simple, though dubious, policies putting money in their pockets and health care in their hands. "It's a clash of elites within the Thai ruling class. Thaksin and the palace were

competing for the same things politically and economically, particularly the hearts and minds of the masses," said Kevin Hewison, professor of Asian studies at the University of Carolina at Chapel Hill."

"The Thai Rak Thai's crimes are very dangerous to democracy," Judge Krairerk Kasemsant said as Thai Rak Thai officials, including several former Thaksin cabinet colleagues, sat stone-faced as the verdict was read out."

http://www.sulak-sivaraksa.org/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=193&Itemid=77

seem to go on to do.

How daring!

Korn a PAD member? No other serious charges against Thaksin? Gala dinners by the poor? You must be joking......

Look it up.

If you want to post I suggest you appraise yourself of the facts.

Perhaps you didn't know but socialism is banned in thailand.

That's right. Only right wingers need apply.

seem to go on to do.

How daring!

well what utter garbage.so Thaksin was convicted but as your PTPUDD buddies claim it was all a fix by the judges who didnt happen to be on Thaksins payroll.laugh.png

In its constant strive to attract foreign investment, Thailand has neglected to establish controls for any funds being transferred into the Kingdom from abroad. Meanwhile, control mechanisms do exist for outgoing funds. This is, for example, one of the reasons why it was discovered that former prime minister – and since fugitive convicted criminal – Thaksin Shinawatra had transferred his shares in Shin Corporation to a mailbox company in the British Virgin Islands audaciously called “Ample Rich Co., Ltd.”, a name that haunts him to this day. The influx of foreign funds has paralyzed Thailand in its actions how to trace the origins of such payments, which has effectively transformed the country into one of the easiest places where to hide your ill-gotten wealth – and made it attractive to the mafia.

http://www.thailawfo...a-thailand.html

"Share Transfers - The fascinating Ample Rich Tax Case comes to an end" By Steven Herring, April 2012

http://www.sherrings...s-to-an-end.php

"Thaksin accused over 'hot money'" May 1, 2007

"DSI uncovers links to laundering and other irregularities, Surayud charges"

http://www.nationmul...es_30033107.php

"Special Report: Thaksin´s 76 bn THB asset seizure case" News Date : 10 Febuary 2010

http://thainews.prd....id=255302100028

"TRT was found guilty of allowing its former leader, ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, to abuse Thailand's April 2006 election as a "tool for monopolizing power" -- specifically for instigating the hiring and paying of smaller political parties to participate in the election. TRT now will be disbanded, and all of its present and former executives will be banned from domestic politics for five years"

"The party used the parliamentary election as "a means to achieve totalitarian power," Judge Vichai Chuenchompoonuj said. "It goes to show that the ... defendant does not believe in the democratic system." Associated Press

"During his five years as premier, Thaksin had grown too big for his fine Italian shoes for the establishment's liking. Even the king's speeches chastised Thaksin, whose wealth - second only to that of the monarchy - bought immense power and sway. He touched the masses through simple, though dubious, policies putting money in their pockets and health care in their hands. "It's a clash of elites within the Thai ruling class. Thaksin and the palace were

competing for the same things politically and economically, particularly the hearts and minds of the masses," said Kevin Hewison, professor of Asian studies at the University of Carolina at Chapel Hill."

"The Thai Rak Thai's crimes are very dangerous to democracy," Judge Krairerk Kasemsant said as Thai Rak Thai officials, including several former Thaksin cabinet colleagues, sat stone-faced as the verdict was read out."

http://www.sulak-siv...d=193&Itemid=77

So we have just had the judgment on TRT. It's been in the news.

30,000 baht was the sum involved. An entire government and party banned for THIS?

And didn't the democrats get off their far more serious case because after 6 months of deliberation the court found that the election committee failed to conclude the charges in the alotted 2 weeks (that's because after the coup both courts were changed and the former election commitee members were all jailed for 6 months!)

http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=289461

When I read these gems and your sources it's useless arguing with you.

Are you Tony? If not go to land defender website and feast on the global conspiracies that Sondhi and the yellowshirts inform themselves with.

You know that the west has a global conspiracy to take over Thailand and all its resources.

The great SATAN.

They're rightwing losers.

• Like 1

Are you Tony? If not go to land defender website and feast on the global conspiracies that Sondhi and the yellowshirts inform themselves with.

You know that the west has a global conspiracy to take over Thailand and all its resources.

The great SATAN.

They're rightwing losers.

Unquote

What a fantasist, maybe you dont believe your own posts, dam_n sure no one else does

Everything is Thaksin's fault...everything that goes bad in the world is down to him, the floods, the droughts, the earthquakes, the famines, the plagues...having read the political 'comments' over the past few weeks I now understand that everything is down to him....we would be living in nirvana if we could just put him in jail and throw away the key ....

Abhisit is a saint and totally right about everything...like the pope he's infallible... clearly, if Democrats behave abominably it's because Thaksin behaved abominably 6 years ago....if Yellow shirts are forced to organize coups and violence on the streets to get their way, well, it's Thaksin's fault for having won the elections 10 years ago...really if people are so stupid to elect Thaksin then yellows and Dems should be able to use violence to correct the result...it's only fair because Thaksin is evil incarnate...and it's only fair that coup organizers could write a constitution forgiving their illegal acts, but it's morally bankrupt for the party elected to rule the country to try to get their man off yadayadayadayadayadayadayadayadayada

As a Financier I can understand him not knowing the nuances of the Judicial System but surely even Korn must realise that the DSI can only recommend to the Attorney General that charges are forwarded to the courts. He cannot decide the outcome of the investigation. Talk about disrespect for the Rule of Law!

You are being deliberately obtuse (again)! The DSI does decide the outcome of the investigation, it then forwards it with a recommendation to the AG, who upon receiving a recommendation not to proceed,has the perfect excuse not to froward to the courts.

To do this with Yingluk's perjury case Tarit had to express a definition of perjury different to the criminal code.

In high profile cases where conflict of interest is obvious, the case should be forwarded to the courts as a matter of course to prevent even the perception of corruption.