When A Person Pushes In Front At Counter Or Checkout.

Ron19

They interpret the empty space in front of you as in

"he isn't ready to pay yet" -which may or may not be the correct assumption.

-close the gap to make blatantly clear what your intention is.

I have seen many times people just hangin around blocking ways without actually waiting for pay, things gets worse in small areas

Edited by poanoi

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elbows out, body turned to block them. If they protest, you can just sneer at them condescendingly until they realise what they are protesting or people start laughing at them (including me).

If they've done it in a way that I haven't had a chance to block, and the cashier colludes with them, then the cashier gets punished - I put all of my erstwhile purchases carefully on the floor and then leave.

again pointless defiance. punishing poor manners with a show of much worse

Exactly my thoughts. Can't believe what I'm reading here. Some people seem to work hard to give a bad image of "farang".

Queue jumping happened very rarely to me, and then it is mai-pen-rai, another 2 minutes extra wait.

Why do they have the right to be more important than others? Would you let them them do the same in a hospital when waiting fot treatment?

You either have too much free time or just really scared of the outside world.

I assure you that Thais don't agree with queue jumping behaviour either and they would tell you their anger and disgust when asked them about it.

The only reason why they don't protest is their conflict-avoiding manner.

And it is not the 2 minutes but the principles.

My principle is that the abusive self-righteous behaviour some people demonstrate here is much worse than a queue jumper. You just don't notice how much you make an áss of yourselves.

My principle is that the abusive self-righteous behaviour some people demonstrate here is much worse than a queue jumper. You just don't notice how much you make an áss of yourselves.

Wrong. On one hand this is not abusive just put the person in his deserved place and on the other hand Thais will honestly support you. That is wrong if you believe this gives a bad image of farangs. Ask Thais and you will get to know their opinion.

Edited by garrya

Just say something, you would say it at home so do it here also. i always say something, not angry, be polite and just let them know that they seem to have missed the queue, this way it looks like an oversight on their part rather than just ignorance.

If they persist in pushing in them tell the staff that there is a queue and this person should join the queue, no need to be angry, no need to be aggressive. Now in my local 7/11 it still goes on, but not when I am in the queue, so they have not learned that it should be that way always rather than just when I am in the queue.

I also asked them to bag things properly but that's another story haha, when you scan something put it straight into a bag and not on the counter, only to have to pick it up again to put into a bag.

At Ikea yesterday I went to the tills and there were two women infront of me with nothing.

I was stood in the queue and then after minimum of 5 minutes I get a trolley bumped into my ankles. I look round and there is a woman with a trolley full of stuff saying excuse me, sorry, sorry sounds like the only English she knows.

She has already gone past everyone behind me. The two women in front of me then turn round and they are with this other woman. They both start with the same thing saying excuse me , excuse me sorry and gesturing to make space infront of me. They actually seem stupid enough to think I don't know what they are doing.

They walk to each other and back to me all saying and doing the same thing. They don't seem to be getting the hint so I just walk forward into the little space they were standing in before and say "Oh thankyou very kind. Thanks and take up the space they were standing in. smile.png

I only spoke English to hear what they said about me. Sadly they just laughed and and said "Farangs rolleyes.gif ".

I got plenty of smiles from other people in the queues for not letting these self important <deleted> get away with it. smile.png

Do people really think they can stand in a queue for someone and then wheel a trolleyful of items past everyone queuing when they like and not have to queue when they've finished like everyone else ? rolleyes.gif

are you certain they were smiling in support of your actions or out of discomfort?

Yes. Why would they look at me,smile if it was discomfort ? They would look away.

Do you not think that the millions of Thais who wait their turn aren't sick of these people too ?

Edited by arthurwait

its not like its rocket science, its basic social interaction.

tap tap tap on the shoulder.

excuse me i was here first.

sorted.

If that doesn't work, putting your shopping on the floor or storming out of the shop arent going to help. its childish, defeatist behavior and it makes you look a right prat should you ever return.

Edited by nocturn

I speak out… nothing else to do.

But, sometimes we can misunderstand the situation. I nearly spoke out the other day, when while placing my items on the conveyor belt a Thai lady squeezed past me and handed a box of tampons to the cashier, I thought OK emergency but she could have said excuse me, the cashier scanned the box and placed it in one of the bags full of shopping. It was then clear the lady had simply forgotten and ran back to make her extra purchase… I nearly let my foot of the clutch to early with that one !!...

A few years back I saw ignorant queue jumping was while checking in at KLIA for a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok.

After 15 minutes of queuing for check in an Indian lady in front of me invited all her friends to join her (about 6 or 7 people). I complained and pointed out how unfair this was to everyone else in the queue. She simply let me jump in front of her. I then pointed out how unfair it was to ‘EVERYONE ELSE” in the queue (i.e. those behind me too. If she wished to queue as a group, join the back of the queue or go to group check in. She joined the back of the queue.

The Thai lady and her daughter behind me thanked me. But, it was plainly obvious they were not about to say anything to the Indian lady who was assembling the numbers in front of them.

It appears in many case people take advantage of the general ‘non-confrontationalism’ of others, this conconfrontational nature makes Asia and Thailand in general hugely enjoyable to live in. However, one of the negative aspects of this is that society rarely reprimands itself for poor behavior.

sorted.

If that doesn't work, putting your shopping on the floor or storming out of the shop arent going to help. its childish, defeatist behavior and it makes you look a right prat should you ever return.

Did you actually read my post you quoted ?

I was at Tops in Central Rama 3 a few years back. Having previously been in Korea for 2 years, I was a bit anti-Korean at the time. I was buying some fruit and veg and waiting for the weighing chick to put my things on the scales (she was preoccupied with changing the label stickers in the machine at the time). When she was ready I went to put my stuff on the scales, but just as I was doing it, these 2 snotty older Korean chicks came from the other side and put their stuff on the scales first. Naturally I removed it and got my stuff weighed first. The filthy look and derogatory comments they gave me were priceless as I smiled at them.

Even better, about an hour later I was walking to get a taxi and I saw them walking to get a taxi as well. A couple of metres before they reached their taxi I jumped in front of them, got in the cab, closed the door, told the driver where I was going, and gave the korean chicks my middle finger as I sped off. A bit immature....but very satisfying.

• Like 1

I was at Tops in Central Rama 3 a few years back. Having previously been in Korea for 2 years, I was a bit anti-Korean at the time. I was buying some fruit and veg and waiting for the weighing chick to put my things on the scales (she was preoccupied with changing the label stickers in the machine at the time). When she was ready I went to put my stuff on the scales, but just as I was doing it, these 2 snotty older Korean chicks came from the other side and put their stuff on the scales first. Naturally I removed it and got my stuff weighed first. The filthy look and derogatory comments they gave me were priceless as I smiled at them.

Even better, about an hour later I was walking to get a taxi and I saw them walking to get a taxi as well. A couple of metres before they reached their taxi I jumped in front of them, got in the cab, closed the door, told the driver where I was going, and gave the korean chicks my middle finger as I sped off. A bit immature....but very satisfying.

I suppose with middle-aged korean ladies that's reasonably safe.

I try to gear my manners towards behaving to people in a way that won't have them wanting to give me a kicking, whether they are bigger than me or smaller.

But as you say, there's nothing as satisfying as making yourself look like an ignorant, obnoxious lout, and now you've managed to get that self-same feeling all over again in front of uncountable strangers on the internet.

Good job!

SC

• Like 1

I suppose with middle-aged korean ladies that's reasonably safe.

I try to gear my manners towards behaving to people in a way that won't have them wanting to give me a kicking, whether they are bigger than me or smaller.

But as you say, there's nothing as satisfying as making yourself look like an ignorant, obnoxious lout, and now you've managed to get that self-same feeling all over again in front of uncountable strangers on the internet.

Good job!

SC

^

Hilarious.

Feels damm good too SC.

Edited by nottocus

sorted.

yes, yes i did.

then i moved on to something else.

i'm over you

sorted.

yes, yes i did.

then i moved on to something else.

i'm over you

Not like this

SC

TV Cricket - the team with sleepers

I don't see much queue jumping these days in Bangkok. I think people have come to realise it's not on. One thing I have seen occasionally, though, is people leaving a full trolley in the queue while they go off and get the extra stuff they forgot (and I don't mean quickly dashing off and grabbing one last quick item). If I come across one of these I just push it away to one side and carry on through. One time though, I was doing this and another woman in front of the abandoned trolley said "that's my friend's", as if I should just leave it there and wait while the friend continued shopping. Instead I said "Oh really? OK thanks for telling me", pushed it away and continued on to the conveyor belt. 5 minutes later the friend came back and gave me a filthy look while she took her trolley and went off to find another queue. It looks like she really was expecting me to wait there doing nothing while she finished her shopping... blink.png

Another time I saw 2 guys come right to the front of the queue and stand there with their basket trying to load their stuff on the conveyor belt. No-one said anything, but they didn't give them an inch until the person who they would have been behind if they'd queued properly had been served. Then the next person let them in. Worked quite well and the guys' attempted queue jumping achieved nothing except making an obvious spectacle of them for 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

This is a little off topic. The biggest type of queue jumpers of sort are motorcycle riders. Why do they have to weave through traffic to be ahead of all cars. I hvae seen some so close to car it is crazy.

Because our acceleration is WAY faster...

This is a little off topic. The biggest type of queue jumpers of sort are motorcycle riders. Why do they have to weave through traffic to be ahead of all cars. I hvae seen some so close to car it is crazy.

Not the ones where I live

Fair enough, but that is why I always move in front of cars at traffic lights!

Incidentally, this has just reminded me, does anyone know if the front 'box' at traffic lights is supposed to be for 'bikes?

Fair enough, but that is why I always move in front of cars at traffic lights!

Incidentally, this has just reminded me, does anyone know if the front 'box' at traffic lights is supposed to be for 'bikes?

Hope you jest. ermm.gif

It doesn't happen that often to me, and I find even the Thais don't appreciate queue jumpers. Sometimes even the counter people will ignore them and point at me as next. Hands on the hips, elbows out as a block sometimes does the job. biggrin.png

During one of my first trips to Thailand this happened to me. Being a native New Yorker, to me this kind of behavior was absolutely unacceptable. I threw my hands out to the side in a "are you f*ing serious!" gesture, and began to condescendingly scold the woman for being obnoxious and rude.

Everyone in the 7-11 seemed absolutely shocked. The woman meandered slowly to the back of the line unsure of why this foreigner had been mean to her. She stood there looking very unsure for about 10 seconds before returning her goods and walking out of the store looking embarrassed.

I of course later found out that this was not how things were done here. I made a mental note to myself to handle things more appropriately should the same thing happen again. However, about a year and a half later the same thing happened in another 7-11, can you believe.

I reacted the exact same way without thinking. Once again, the entire 7-11 stopped and stared at me in horror.

There are some things in this country that we all have to just chalk down to differences in culture. For me, rudeness is not one of them.

Back home I nearly got into a fist fight with a black guy who skipped me in a McDonalds (ridiculous, I know!). In the end, if you're right then you're right, and no-one can argue in such a situation.

You must remember that Thailand is far behind the West in many aspects. Common sense is one of them. By berating a Thai (or farang) who skips the line in a store, you are contributing to the continued progress of the human race!

They do it so they get where they're going faster.

Because they can.

If I didn't have the option to get on a motocy taxi when the traffic backs up I'd have to scale my booking back and lose at least 25% of my monthly income.