What'S With Farangs & Their Thai Gfs Holding Hands All The Time

xthAi76s

If I don't drag her along, she'll stop at the first shoestand and after walking forwards for 15min it's a major pain to retrace back.

Though we've progressed to the stage where I have my hand on my stomach and she hooks hers through the loop formed by arm. Should satisfy even the most stringent fashion police.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread.

When i lived in India I would often walk along the street holding a friends hand. They were of course exclusively male....to have walked along holding an Indian girl's hand would have caused great consternation.

Between male friends it was commonplace.

Things are fairly similar in Thailand really.(except for the male/male hand holding of course!) Outside the obvious fleshpots you don't see much evidence of this behaviour although in student areas etc its fairly common.

Just like most places in the world....young love flourishes in similar ways.

Exactly. You most certainly don't often see full on Thai/Thai adult couples walking around holding hands. Well, to be fair, you don't often see them together at all and for dam_n sure not walking!

If I don't drag her along, she'll stop at the first shoestand and after walking forwards for 15min it's a major pain to retrace back.

Though we've progressed to the stage where I have my hand on my stomach and she hooks hers through the loop formed by arm. Should satisfy even the most stringent fashion police.

I found the hand on my stomach emphasised my fat midriff as if I was trying to cover it. So now both hands are firmly in the pockets where I can play with myself with one hand, hold my money with the other, whilst the gik's arm, like your good wife's, hooks through my looped arm.

I would wonder where the Oil Consultant and Proud Father OP is witnessing this terrible culturally distressing tendency for older farang men to be walking about hand in hand in public with clingy Thai girls that look like they come from the low end of Sukhumvit? Stopping off for a few cold ones on the way home from work are we?

You're being unfair these type of couples are everywhere

What? Older farang men with, and I quote, "BG-looking GFs/wives".

Apart from the bottom end of Sukhumvit and around Soi Asoke, where are these rare specimens to be seen in such abundance as to provoke the OP into raising the issue here?

PS. Pattaya and Patong doesn't count.

MBK, kao san rd

Yes usually new couples do hold hands; In my country anyway

it's called RO-MANCE

does not last unfortunately sad.png

I never see real, respectable Thai women holding hands with their Thai boyfriends/husbands... Only Falangs. Are Falangs the only ones making new relationships?

Have you never seen farang couples holding hands? A lot of people do it in my country.

In your country, for sure, but in Thailand it's not that common.

Have you never seen farang couples holding hands? A lot of people do it in my country.

Farangs hold hands at home. What's so weird about them doing it here when they're with their Thai GF/wife?

Farangs hold hands at home. What's so weird about them doing it here when they're with their Thai GF/wife?

In my limited experience its usually the Thai GF instigating this. She is saying to the other BG's "Hands off! This one is mine".......

• Like 2

I would wonder where the Oil Consultant and Proud Father OP is witnessing this terrible culturally distressing tendency for older farang men to be walking about hand in hand in public with clingy Thai girls that look like they come from the low end of Sukhumvit? Stopping off for a few cold ones on the way home from work are we?

You're being unfair these type of couples are everywhere

What? Older farang men with, and I quote, "BG-looking GFs/wives".

Apart from the bottom end of Sukhumvit and around Soi Asoke, where are these rare specimens to be seen in such abundance as to provoke the OP into raising the issue here?

PS. Pattaya and Patong doesn't count.

MBK, kao san rd

I guess there's no great number of TEFL'ers in those two locales then?

No, no, no. You missed the OP's subtle distinction of "BG-looking GFs/wives". He thinks it may have significance way, way beyond the cultural norms of LOS.

In the end, it is immaterial if it is the farang instigating the hand holding since it is culturally acceptable in his homeland or if it is the "BG-looking GFs/wives" initiating it to indicate genuine affection or warning off other predatory "BG-looking GFs/wives." As long as the farang involved doesn't assimilate the culturally acceptable Thai habit of digging knuckle-deep in his nose while holding the young lady's hand with his other, free hand.

In my limited experience its usually the Thai GF instigating this. She is saying to the other BG's "Hands off! This one is mine".......

Chai chai....hole in one!

easy, Thai girls don't like anything to do with sex.

its either romance or either party is trying to ensure the other cant get away

The b/g is holding on to her Fish. She doesn't want to lose him.

In the end, it is immaterial if it is the farang instigating the hand holding since it is culturally acceptable in his homeland or if it is the "BG-looking GFs/wives" initiating it to indicate genuine affection or warning off other predatory "BG-looking GFs/wives." As long as the farang involved doesn't assimilate the culturally acceptable Thai habit of digging knuckle-deep in his nose while holding the young lady's hand with his other, free hand.

I'm guessing by the number of times you've quoted "BG-looking GFs/wives" that you find something wrong in my posting it. It is just an observation. Nothing more.

easy, Thai girls don't like anything to do with sex.

its either romance or either party is trying to ensure the other cant get away

punctuation makes all the difference

its either romance, or either party is trying to ensure the other cant get away

Well, I don't look like a bar gir and neither does my wife.

I like holding my wife's hand sometimes, she like's holding mine.

I enjoy intimacy between my wife and I, wether it be holding hands or just putting my hand on her lap whilst were driving.

Its just called affection, it's nice, I like it and something my wife and enjoy.

I see sometimes elderly couples who hold hands, it's quite endeering and really in a world thats full of so much crap these days, seeing a couple walk down the street holding hands is nice, it's like a little reminder that we are all just humans.

I understand what the OP is getting at though, it must seem shallow seeing punters everywhere living the GFE, knowing what it really is.

• Like 2

I think it has something to do with showing public affection. Thai people don't like it, it's considered impolite or something.

My boyfriend never shows public affection towards me in public and very rarely holds my hand unless we're crossing a busy road...

I asked him why once as I was a little miffed at first and he said "Thai people don't do that." - it was confirmed for me by other Thai friends of mine.

I think it has something to do with showing public affection. Thai people don't like it, it's considered impolite or something.

My boyfriend never shows public affection towards me in public and very rarely holds my hand unless we're crossing a busy road...

I asked him why once as I was a little miffed at first and he said "Thai people don't do that." - it was confirmed for me by other Thai friends of mine.

I would hold your hand but I'm still having my jaw wired from last time....rolleyes.gif

Yep that's pretty much it but judging by the speed with which I've seen men in their 50s barge through a crowd to get back to the bird they've clearly spent more than a few baht on as soon as they see a younger, slimmer, better-looking guy having a closer look at her, there's a definitely a bit of "Hands off, she's mine" going on with the guys too.

The guys instigate it just as much as the girls. I live close to Soi Cowboy and can't help but chuckle when I see a guy, hand-in-hand with freshly-barfined roadkill, bowling down the street with his chest puffed out and a proud grin on his face . . .

. . . right before she swerves him into that rip-off Thai restaurant opposite the 7-11 on soi 23 from which she'll earn a kick-back if he spends decent money.

• Like 1

I understand what the OP is getting at though, it must seem shallow seeing punters everywhere living the GFE, knowing what it really is.

Is it just that you don't like to see people living the dream?

When someone is spending tht sort of money to live it, surely it is churlish to resent it on his behalf.

Anyway, straying back on topic: Is it OK for me to hold my childrens' hands?

I realise my wife's hand is a bit questionable, and girlfriends are a no-no. What about policemen?

SC

You are not very observant , Thai girls hold hands all the time , the reason people with BG's might is so they don't get seperated from each other and lost ..... which is origionally an extra reason I used to hold my now wifes hand ! Not lost permanantly but I would not have known back then how to get back to my hotel so I held her hand to make sure we didn't get seperated in a croud ! lol

When my wife, as she does, frequently slips her hand into mine, I am surely not going to let go and inform her hand holding in public is to be avoided in Thailand. Likewise my children.....so onlookers better get used to it......or turn away in disgust if they feel affronted

Thais do not exhibit outward affection in public. it is a cultural thing, that is changing with the younger generation.

Married 3 years and counting, and we still hold hands, not Always but many times. we enjoy it, it is good for the heart and good for the soul.

PS: why the BG comment? you mean it is right for Farang with non "BG" looking wife to hold hands but not for the 'BG" looking wife?

I see. The BG comment was just an observation/interpretation. Nobody can deny that many of Falang male Thai female relationships fit this description (at least in Bangkok). I'm not one to judge though, so it's fine.

I do think the aneliane's last comment is certainly a possibility. Never thought of that one. I guess my bias against BG-looking women is showing.

BG means prostitute - what exactly do they look like - miniskirts and low cut blouses? Do Johns hold they're take-away's hand when leaving NanaPLaza - that's weird.

In my experience most farang are with Thai women who look like they're from Issarn and that doesn't mean they were found in a bar or ThaiLustLine.com or whatever it's called.

I don't hold my wife's hand often but used to when I found her desirabel.

Strangely, I found a few odd looks today when holding my eldest daughter's hand - I think some of them thought she was girlfriend!

IN the West what age do fathers stop holding their daughters' hands?

Edited by Johnniey

10 years married and we still hold hands whenever we're out together (actually, we often hold hands when we're at home just sitting watching TV).

If you feel embarrassed to hold your gf or wife's hand and think it makes you appear to be 15 years old, then you need to grow up and get over yourself.

Why anyone should give 2 f's about it is beyond me.

BTW - tell my wife that holding hands makes her look like a bargirl and you had better be a good runner!

And... yes, I know DON'T FEED THE TROLL.

Snap. If my wife of ten years isn't holding my hand then she's either holding my arm or we are out and about with young relatives who are holding our hands. We are proud that we have worked to build a lasting relationship - and it does take work, commitment and understanding. If anybody thinks that is wrong to hold hands then IMO they are lacking in jai dee and extremely sad sacks.

• Like 1