Chronic Diseases Kill 75 Percent Of Thais

webfact

Also note that the WHO classifies obesity as a chronic disease, one that is increasing rapidly in Thailand.

I'm afraid that DIET is the big killer here. Processed foods, white bread, white rice. white potatoes, sugar, sugar replacements (other than stevia), cakes, pastries, biscuits along with the bad fats and oils they are drowned in is responsible for the rapid increase in type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and strokes, nowadays. This allied to peoples sedentary lifestyles is a recipe for health disaster and until people can take this onboard and act on it then nothing will change!!!

Smoking clearly exacerbates the situation and causes lung disease and respiratory disorders but this and alcohol are not such big players in this particular health time-bomb.

Yes, you are talking about what scientists call the modern obesenegenic environment and modern Thailand has that in spades. Contrary to popular belief, it is not only about imported western fast foods which are actually a luxury item for poor Thais. Many modern Thai foods, such as the notorious MAMA NOODLES are highly processed, high fat, as well. How to deal with this? Not easy. Education. Poverty relief. But then you get into Nanny state issues such as forcing food producers to push different cheap foods.

Indeed, but what people need to realise is that it is not necessarily fats that are making people obese - it is the carbohydrates that are the big killers, especially relating to the diabetes epidemic.

Insulin resistance and the constant sugar spiking of the blood is ruining peoples livers and then kidneys as well as damaging their hearts.

Using coconut oil to cook with and virgin olive oil on salads and for 'light' cooking are actually highly beneficial for you and results in weight loss if anything. Vegetables (and less so fruits) along with high fiber foods such as oats as well as changing to complex carbohydrate foods such as wholemeal bread and flour as well as brown rice and sweet potato will help to alleviate the problem, but these are more expensive and so normal' Thai's will not be able to afford these foods and doesn't really help the matter.

The road side stalls should have 'toxic stickers' on them as they sell only poison (those selling fruit excepted) but they are too convenient (and cheap) and then you have Mcdonalds, KFC etc: meaning that the USA is exporting their 'fat culture' to unsuspecting innocents!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What puzzles and annoys me in Thailand is the ridiculous amount of sugar they put in nearly everything. By doing this, they ruin quite unnecessarily basic food like most bread and milk, and with supermarket shelves filled with yoghurt, you cannot buy unsweetened plain yoghurt even in a city the size of Udon Thani). Pizza, and bakery products, already containing sugar, are often smeared in sickly sweet salad cream, and If u read the ingredients of Thai salad cream and most mayonnaise, especially the large commercial packs they use in restaurants, they often contain as much as 25% to 40% sugar.

Also I have never seen such a bewildering array of packet snacks as u you see in Thailand. Nearly every other house is a mini mart full of them, and the kids are in and out all day as soon as they have a few baht to buy them. Most are full of sugar and salt not to mention the colourings, preservatives and additives. As for the absolute gold mines that 7/11 represent.....If I go for something late at night, even in a small town, I just cant believe how busy they are with mostly young adults coming and going, and they are not just buying the odd thing they forgot to buy earlier like me, but they are buying carrier bags full of mostly unhealthy junkfood!

I read somewhere that there is a 'Sugar Mafia' or a very powerful and influential sugar producing industry in Thailand. I dont know if this is true but as I learn more and more about the irrational and often corrupt way that things work in Thailand it would not surprise me at all.

I think it needs a popular Western supermarket chain like Tesco, which have all its experience and know-how from the West, to gradually introduce and promote healthier ingredients, products and choices as we now have in the West. Combined with healthier eating campaigns, (super)marketing can be a powerful means to educate people and not just to irresponsibly sell them any old garbage to eat or drink! It is also a huge marketing opportunity and area to exploit in Thailand, with huge profits to be made as in the West.

What cracks me up is that "health" foods which are often the same foods with less or no sugar/fat/salt are MORE expensive. Same way in the west. It's like being concerned about health is something for the elite.

Edited by Jingthing

What cracks me up is that "health" foods which are often the same foods with less or no sugar/fat/salt are MORE expensive. Same way in the west. It's like being concerned about health is something for the elite.

copied from a website:

According to the USDA "Cheap food that provides few nutrients may actually be 'expensive' for the consumer from a nutritional economy perspective, whereas food with a higher retail price that provides large amounts of nutrients may actually be quite cheap."

Food should be valued based on the nutrition it provides. To be fully nourished, you need to eat a balanced diet that includes portions from each food group — fruits and vegetables, proteins, grains, and dairy. Junk foods and processed foods are rich in rich in fats, sugars, and salt (and calories) with little nutritional value; they are 'empty calorie' foods.

That's why when I selected the World's Healthiest Foods I took both the food's absolute nutrient content and its caloric content into consideration. Opposite to 'empty calorie' foods, they are rich in nutrients and low in calories — I call them nutrient-rich.

You get more 'bang for your nutritional buck' by selecting nutrient-rich foods. Purchasing foods that are in season and locally grown also help to keep your costs down. Frozen fruits and vegetables, which have retained much of their nutritional value, are a good substitute when fresh produce is not available.

Many from 3069 years of age.

Sounds like a good innings to me.

My father-in-law died in the prime of his life, he was only 1345 years old, so the situation is getting worse.

All joking aside, my advice is; make the most of everyday that we breath, because we never know when the grim reaper will be paying us a visit.

I agree, but when the 'Elite' or '<deleted>', sorry, High souls, start buying it, then the masses will aspire to be like them, even though they cant afford it. But, the more important knock-on effect is that when 'healthy eating' becomes trendy, then all food & drink manufacturers will be under pressure to modify their ingredients to make their products healthier and more appealing. It then benefits the masses. Also junk food such as Muckdonalds, KFC, etc. becomes exposed for what it really is in health and ethical terms, and the attitude towards it reverses. It becomes unfashionable and then a lot less appealing to the masses.

"He said these diseases cause immense losses - 41 million people will die from them in the next three years."

He's saying that 60% of the population of Thailand will die in the next 3 years? Where do these clowns come from?

This article is really badly written. What it should actually say is this:

41 million people worldwide will die from chronic diseases within the next 3 years. 75% of the people that will die in Thailand within the next 3 years will die from chronic diseases.

Thailand eats more sugar per capita than most countries. Excess consumpion feeds cancer, causes diabetes and a whole lot of other .problems. The latest campaign to reduce fat in products has resulted in increasing the sugar content instead and claiming the product is healthy. However it is unlikely the government will do anything about cutting consumption. Politicians will block any efforts claiming that it would hurt thier constituants who produce sugar producers.

The biggest killer in Thailand is Liver Fluke infection, for both males and females; where the liver is infected by OV infestation.

This in turn leads to cholangiocarcinoma, which unfortunately my Mother-in-Law died of early last year, and at a young age.

Fluke infestation comes from eating undercooked or raw fish, a common place staple diet in the North, and is well know worldwide in the medical fraternity as being pertinent to Thailand. My M-i-L lived in Ubon.

So just a warning, for all of my colleagues here. Don't even consider eating raw or undercooked fish, ever; not that you would anyway.... wink.png

One badly infected piece of fish can infect your liver, and slowly and surely kill it off over a few years, and even shorter if no treatment is given, or is given too late.

In essence, the Govnt advisors should be starting with cooked fish advice, before they even venture into anti-smoking and other warnings.

-mel.

Fully agree! It has long been my position that I'll put off eating sushi until I've spent a week in a lifeboat.

Sent from my Cray XT5-HE laptop computer

I will not eat any fish in Thailand. Not only is it under cooked, most of the fish comes from contaminated waters, lakes, klongs, rivers, etc. and I refuse to eat it.

It's a bit embarrassing to constantly read remarks from people that chose to live in Thailand but spend all there time knocking it. If this country is that bad, that you have to make fun of it's people, health and governments all the time, maybe it's time you moved on. Or at least come up with something more contructive than one liners that are derogatory.

Me thinks you haven't lived in Thailand very long. smile.png

• Like 2

Not sure if this it is the right forum, but I just read an email from a friend that a vitamin/suppliment order he placed got confiscated by customs. Appartently vitamins now have to be ordered through a Thai agent? The "excuse" is that suppliments can be used to manufacture drugs which I've never heard of. Vitamin C etc. being used to make illegal substances? Not likely.

Does anyone know about this? I order vitamins as well through legit companies since the ones I find here are rather lame.

My only guess is that the Thai government has bought into the CODEX / big-pharma hoax.

Can anyone shed some light on this paradox? I'd rather order good vitamins online if that is still an option.

Thanks for any info.

Not sure if this it is the right forum, but I just read an email from a friend that a vitamin/suppliment order he placed got confiscated by customs. Appartently vitamins now have to be ordered through a Thai agent? The "excuse" is that suppliments can be used to manufacture drugs which I've never heard of. Vitamin C etc. being used to make illegal substances? Not likely.

Does anyone know about this? I order vitamins as well through legit companies since the ones I find here are rather lame.

My only guess is that the Thai government has bought into the CODEX / big-pharma hoax.

Can anyone shed some light on this paradox? I'd rather order good vitamins online if that is still an option.

Thanks for any info.

Found the original email:

"My vitamins just got lost at customs-new law passed this

week in Thailand so we can not get supplements anymore without going

through some sort of licensed broker-its in response to people

importing supplements to make some sort of illicit drug"

Honestly, I'm still very puzzled by this development. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

This news could cause tourists to not want to go to Thailand for fear they will 'catch it'..... But then again, I guess there is still enough Fake Rolexes to keep them coming............... (Just kidding, .... Not serious this time.........)

Thanks for any info.

Found the original email:

"My vitamins just got lost at customs-new law passed this

week in Thailand so we can not get supplements anymore without going

through some sort of licensed broker-its in response to people

importing supplements to make some sort of illicit drug"

Honestly, I'm still very puzzled by this development. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

It could be the same 'Customs Syndrome' as if you try to bring in some whiskey (or cigarettes) that they like. Vitamins are also in High Demand and very expensive in Thailand. What would you bet those supplements were not destroyed, but are now at some Customs Agents home? This will give 'Lady Gaga' something else to talk about on her next visit.

Some 20 years ago or more, I traveled from the US to Thailand with a little old Thai lady who didn't like to travel alone. As reward for our assistance the old ladies niece invited my wife and I to dinner. She worked for the Thai airport Customs and lived in a Govt Housing Estate for Customs workers. After dinner she rolled out a 'liquor cart' that would put wealthy people to shame. Need I say more??? (Lady Gaga, are you listening??) This was over 20 years ago - but some things never change.

• Like 1

The biggest killer in Thailand is Liver Fluke infection, for both males and females; where the liver is infected by OV infestation.

This in turn leads to cholangiocarcinoma, which unfortunately my Mother-in-Law died of early last year, and at a young age.

Fluke infestation comes from eating undercooked or raw fish, a common place staple diet in the North, and is well know worldwide in the medical fraternity as being pertinent to Thailand. My M-i-L lived in Ubon.

So just a warning, for all of my colleagues here. Don't even consider eating raw or undercooked fish, ever; not that you would anyway.... wink.png

One badly infected piece of fish can infect your liver, and slowly and surely kill it off over a few years, and even shorter if no treatment is given, or is given too late.

In essence, the Govnt advisors should be starting with cooked fish advice, before they even venture into anti-smoking and other warnings.

-mel.

Fully agree! It has long been my position that I'll put off eating sushi until I've spent a week in a lifeboat.

I will not eat any fish in Thailand. Not only is it under cooked, most of the fish comes from contaminated waters, lakes, klongs, rivers, etc. and I refuse to eat it.

Many people seem to think the fish sold, usually frozen, in Thailand as 'Dory' fish (Basa in the UK) is sea fish, but it is actually farmed Mekong river fish from Vietnam. I like it as It is very nice and can pass easily as sea fish in look and taste. But the thing I have discovered is that these usually quite thin Dory fillets take quite a bit longer to cook than a fillet of sea fish of equal thickness So there is a real danger of Westerners undercooking it especially when sea fish takes minimal cooking and is ruined when overcooked. Also twice I've ordered it in a 'Jeffers' and had to send it back when undercooked.

I assume this 'river fluke' comes from river fish and not sea fish? I'll google it anyway to be sure I have the facts, as this is a new Thai health hazard to me!

try looking up "supersize me" or "sugar, sweet poison"

As with most governments it appears they are motivated to act when its costing them money or want to make more money, its probably a money grabbing exercise, i have seen it many times before, grog and cigarettes going thru the roof, maybe they should impose higher taxes on fast food chains, excuses excuses excuses, bullshit bullshit bullshit

It's a bit embarrassing to constantly read remarks from people that chose to live in Thailand but spend all there time knocking it. If this country is that bad, that you have to make fun of it's people, health and governments all the time, maybe it's time you moved on. Or at least come up with something more contructive than one liners that are derogatory.

google "Damned by dysfunction" Voranai Vanijaka

The author is solidly 100% Thai though is freely expressing thoughts. Perhaps you care to email him and suggest he "move on" leave?

Perhaps you lost your "sense of humour" in the West? Perhaps the feeling of Thailand giving you companionship overrides the belief that (some) people have free thought?

• Like 1

As with most governments it appears they are motivated to act when its costing them money or want to make more money, its probably a money grabbing exercise, i have seen it many times before, grog and cigarettes going thru the roof, maybe they should impose higher taxes on fast food chains, excuses excuses excuses, bullshit bullshit bullshit

Excuse me but the percent of Thai's that eat at fast food chains is very small.

The percent of Thais who have never heard of them is huge.

I think an awful lot of Thai young people do eat fast food, and you might include 7-11 type crapola fast meals with that, but maybe not so many can AFFORD to eat at places like KFC very often. They do eat the MAMA noodles, arguably even WORSE.

I think an awful lot of Thai young people do eat fast food, and you might include 7-11 type crapola fast meals with that, but maybe not so many can AFFORD to eat at places like KFC very often. They do eat the MAMA noodles, arguably even WORSE.

Agree. The number of fastfood consumers in Thailand is rising fast.

And I would say the awful lot of sweets, sugar they stuff themselves with contributes to their unhealthy condition.

Im in vietnam and made some friends, I asked why do the viet girls bodies appear to be more fuller, the reply was fast food, and dear mr hello dolly, try reading my post again, Supersize me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SUGAR, its in reference to part of the obesity problem to a large extent, the original post refers to the world problem, not just thailand and thailand is NOT immune from this regardless of your misguided views

• Like 1

-mel.

If I had ever worried about all the food I eat in Thailand, I would had starved to death long ago.

Thailand eats more sugar per capita than most countries. Excess consumpion feeds cancer, causes diabetes and a whole lot of other .problems. The latest campaign to reduce fat in products has resulted in increasing the sugar content instead and claiming the product is healthy. However it is unlikely the government will do anything about cutting consumption. Politicians will block any efforts claiming that it would hurt thier constituants who produce sugar producers.

Where's your support for the claim that constituencies are full of people who are desperate to sire offspring who have career ambitions to manufacture sugar?

laugh.png

I didn't read all the replies, but am I the only one that thinks that 75% of Thai die from chronic disease is a good thing? I mean isn't death by chronic disease better than death by car accident, or accidental poisoning, or electrocution, or natural disaster, or sudden infant death?

Like one poster said on the first page, 100% of people die.

Thai's who have not heard of McDonnalds? Really!

Ironically the switch from infectious to degenerative diseases is one of the classic indicators of "development", as people live long enough to die of cancer or heart disease. Something has to stop the clock eventually.

Wealth brings with it a tendency for excess. Wealth, plus education, sees a chance of those excesses being curbed, if not it's all very Darwinian.

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

Also it gets boring reading posts where posters that are only giving their opinions are told maybe its time you moved on or if you don't like it go back to your own country, if it is embarrassing to you, Why do you read them ??, get a life

• Like 1