Manchester United

redrus

6 hours ago, nev said:

We have signed two other players Fred and Dalot, Fellaini was only holding out for a two year contract as he was at first offered only a 1 year one, By the way he is not everyone's cup of tea but he gives 100% every game and a good addition to have in the squad.

Agree he is a decent squad player and gives 100%... but can't help thinking it's a step in the wrong direction, and hope it doesn't hurt McTominay's chance of developing.

Hopefully Fred will be bossing things so there will be no more doubt in central midfield!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nev said:

We have signed two other players Fred and Dalot, Fellaini was only holding out for a two year contract as he was at first offered only a 1 year one, By the way he is not everyone's cup of tea but he gives 100% every game and a good addition to have in the squad.

I think that as long as Mourinho's at United theres a use for Fellaini.

This lad Dalot, if he's as good as the reports suggest, is a bit of a coup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well Lukaku looked absolutely knackered today, and Rashford will also need more time off to recover from the WC. So.... I'm wondering whether Martial might get a few games at CF at the start of the season, and whether that could be a turning point for him?

The other option would be playing Alexis up there, which is probably the more sensible one. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be interested to hear what the likes of Nev think about the strange and erratic behavior of Mourinho at the moment.  This can't be good for the team and seems also seems to be creating a degree of friction with Woodwood.  

I'm sure there are United fans that will stick rigidly behind the manager, as did Real Madrid and Chelsea fans, but to many i'd have thought his current demeanor to be extremely concerning.  Thoughts?

1 minute ago, carmine said:

I'd be interested to hear what the likes of Nev think about the strange and erratic behavior of Mourinho at the moment.  This can't be good for the team and seems also seems to be creating a degree of friction with Woodwood.  

I'm sure there are United fans that will stick rigidly behind the manager, as did Real Madrid and Chelsea fans, but to many i'd have thought his current demeanor to be extremely concerning.  Thoughts?

<deleted> <deleted> 

13 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

<deleted> <deleted> 

No Rick, its not a troll, its actually a perfectly good question to a situation that has received a lot of coverage in the media.  His behavior is thoroughly bizarre and my questioning is backed up by the football media in general.  If you don't want to discuss your own club fine but a reality is that when a question is posed that you may not like, it doesn't make it a troll.

You may also have noticed i said "the likes of Nev" in the knowledge that he isn't quite so childish about things

Edited by carmine

27 minutes ago, carmine said:

IMO...……...I'm sure that the Utd board see what we are seeing and are astute enough to realise that his negativity does not make for a good club squad.

In addition to this his penchant for chasing after one defender after another surely raises alarm bells. Just read that Lindelhof is a possible departure, but I thought he has acquitted himself well at Utd and the World Cup...…..so go figure?

I hope Maurinho goes...…….and soon.

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Just read that Lindelhof is a possible departure

Interesting I hadn't seen this, cheers for the heads up.

If we buy Maguire or AN Other I think it's obvious one will have to go, be that Rojo or Lindelhof (judging by reports). That would leave us with 5 central defenders, which sounds a lot but really isn't. Especially if we are playing a back 3 some of the time. All it takes is 2 injuries and you're down to the bare bones.

14 minutes ago, xylophone said:

IMO...……...I'm sure that the Utd board see what we are seeing and are astute enough to realise that his negativity does not make for a good club squad.

In addition to this his penchant for chasing after one defender after another surely raises alarm bells. Just read that Lindelhof is a possible departure, but I thought he has acquitted himself well at Utd and the World Cup...…..so go figure?

I hope Maurinho goes...…….and soon.

And you have to say he's had very sound backing from the board since his arrival.  I always felt that Carlo Ancelotti was the perfect fit for United, and still do. And baring in mind that United have been striving to get back the stability since Ferguson's departure, selecting a guy with a "two season" track record was questionable.

Surely after all these years people should realise that Mourinhos media interviews are just a purposeful distraction.

We had a politician in Australia many years ago who used to describe his media interviews as "Feeding the chooks (chickens)"

I never wanted Mourinho and I guess I wasn't the only one.Ancelotti or Le Blanc would have been my pick but remember this is more to do with the owners and the share price as it is to do with football.The Directors had obviousy fallen in love with Mourinho, a proven winner ,style of football,behaviour came second.

If you made a list of all the departures and those coming in what the media call an "exclusive" you would have a squad of about a dozen players left.All pure speculation

Mata was going ,now he's playing his best football. Sanchez is useless now he's found his inner self and 2 succesive MOM performances ,on, and on, and on it goes

For me I just watch the games.You can't avoid the media comments but the only thing that matters to me is on the pitch not some journo needing to fill space with a "source said" nonsense.

Edited by Sparkles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, carmine said:

What he says to the media and what he says in dressing room I would hazard a guess is a complete opposite, He has also had a go at our leaches who own us and also Woodward who is a Glazier stooge, he was so tight last season he would not pay a extra 5mil to buy Periodic who would have been excellent for us.

I still back José and I am sure our play will be better this season.

Fred looked excellent against Real as did Pierrera and Sanchez looks fit and on top of his game.

When all the team is back we will be hard to beat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nev said:

What he says to the media and what he says in dressing room I would hazard a guess is a complete opposite, He has also had a go at our leaches who own us and also Woodward who is a Glazier stooge, he was so tight last season he would not pay a extra 5mil to buy Periodic who would have been excellent for us.

I still back José and I am sure our play will be better this season.

Fred looked excellent against Real as did Pierrera and Sanchez looks fit and on top of his game.

When all the team is back we will be hard to beat.

Your last sentence summed it up...and the purse string comment.

Mourinhos ManU team has been very difficult to beat with easily the 2nd best defensive record last season, a really tall team, 2 defensive midfielders, but it's winning games that doesn't come easily, with not enough flair/guile. Maybe 2nd season Sanchez and Pogba coming off a good WC can solve that.

I guess we'll see a lot of the same from United as last season , solid in defense and not a lot of attractive football , but a win is a win I guess. 

Edited by balo

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

yeah 300M spent with Mourinho and that extra 5M was the straw that broke the camels back. 

I reckon the chairman believes this to be Mourinho's last season so not willing to commit more funds.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11462377/manchester-united-preparing-harry-maguire-bid-with-transfer-deadline-looming

I hope this is true. While we have 5 central defenders, Jones and Smalling are never going to be top drawer, Lindelof isn't ready and Rojo looks like he is leaving.

We do have one undeniably world class centre half and that is Bailly. With Maguire alongside him, we might even get close to the Vidic-Rio partnership that was so good for many seasons.

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11462377/manchester-united-preparing-harry-maguire-bid-with-transfer-deadline-looming

I hope this is true. While we have 5 central defenders, Jones and Smalling are never going to be top drawer, Lindelof isn't ready and Rojo looks like he is leaving.

We do have one undeniably world class centre half and that is Bailly. With Maguire alongside him, we might even get close to the Vidic-Rio partnership that was so good for many seasons.

Jones gets injured too often because of the way he commits in tackles, but Smalling can still turn in a good game and Lindelhof has come along well IMO and he is quick as well as distributes well. For my money Bailly looks clumsy on occasion and not an accomplished player...……..

Sell Rojo, Darmian, Young, Valencia (one dimensional now) and perhaps Jones and free up some space at the back for newcomers!

However with Mourinhos style of play he could even turn the best team in the league into average.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Jones gets injured too often because of the way he commits in tackles, but Smalling can still turn in a good game and Lindelhof has come along well IMO and he is quick as well as distributes well. For my money Bailly looks clumsy on occasion and not an accomplished player...……..

Sell Rojo, Darmian, Young, Valencia (one dimensional now) and perhaps Jones and free up some space at the back for newcomers!

However with Mourinhos style of play he could even turn the best team in the league into average.

Mourinho is far more likely to buy Alderweirald.  He's goes for the experienced tried and proven.  Its his way.  Anyone that understands Mourinho will know this.  Maguire had a very good season with Leicester and five good games for England against relatively poor opposition, bar ofcourse Croatia. Bailly,  if he can stay fit will be very good alongside a world class center back.  Along with good backs and a great keeper Mourinho will have the defense it wants to build from.

24 minutes ago, carmine said:

Mourinho is far more likely to buy Alderweirald.  He's goes for the experienced tried and proven.  Its his way.  Anyone that understands Mourinho will know this.  Maguire had a very good season with Leicester and five good games for England against relatively poor opposition, bar ofcourse Croatia. Bailly,  if he can stay fit will be very good alongside a world class center back.  Along with good backs and a great keeper Mourinho will have the defense it wants to build from.

Looks like Mourinho is hot for Jerome Boateng now.

https://youtu.be/O_bgFbOO2nQ

56 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Valencia is the biggest surprise for me this pre season. Jose has said he turned up very unfit from holiday. I agree his forward play has become a lot less penetrating, but it's still quite a turnaround from being Cap and a very effective full back for most of last season to possibly being dropped!

On Bailly I can't agree though, yes possibly clumsy at times, but he has the total disregard for his own safety that Vidic had. I.e. A ruthless defender that will put his body on the line. We just need a ball playing centre back next to him in the mould of Rio and I think Maguire is the one. If anything the fact he's English makes him underrated!

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I'd be uncomfortable with buying a City reject tbh.... I think it was more his decision to leave but still.

he joined bayern munich and became one of the best centre backs in the world. not sure that's being "rejected" to be honest. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StevieH said:

he joined bayern munich and became one of the best centre backs in the world. not sure that's being "rejected" to be honest. 

But didn't he leave city because he hadn't settled? He obviously didn't like living in Manchester the first time around, so what's changed?

^He couldn't nail down a position. He was 3rd choice RB behind Zaba and Micah and 2nd choice RCB behind Vinny. Big things were expected from him but he just deliver for us. Don't recall him having a good game for us. That's why we moved him on. I'm not knocking him - he's been very good at Bayern.

22 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^He couldn't nail down a position. He was 3rd choice RB behind Zaba and Micah and 2nd choice RCB behind Vinny. Big things were expected from him but he just deliver for us. Don't recall him having a good game for us. That's why we moved him on. I'm not knocking him - he's been very good at Bayern.

Fair enough... but he was also one of the worst players for Germany at the WC. And that's saying something.