Manchester United

redrus

What's this Christianuty thing he speaks of? Is it as boring as baseball? :unsure:

:lol: Very subtle

Shhh I think the scouser might be from south Mississippi.....:D

Then he should be having Banjo lessons and not wasting time on here :D

You don't mean James do you?? :ph34r:

Interesting that Carms 39.gif just how do people get to support a team that's home is hundreds of miles away, could never get me head around that one, still i'm sure many of our long distance supporters will enlighten us 105.gif.

37.gif Must be the fact that they were the most successfull team at the time otherwise i'm sure we would have had some answers :D

Interesting that Carms 39.gif just how do people get to support a team that's home is hundreds of miles away, could never get me head around that one, still i'm sure many of our long distance supporters will enlighten us 105.gif.

37.gif Must be the fact that they were the most successfull team at the time otherwise i'm sure we would have had some answers :D

I think that might just have something to do with it :whistling::rolleyes:

scholesy's an Oldham fan...wonder what he thought of ex team Beckham from Leytonstone not supporting Orient. I bet there was some piss taking

Edited by carmine

I seem to remember meeting a lot more Liverpool fans back in the '80s.....:whistling:

I seem to remember meeting a lot more Liverpool fans back in the '80s.....:whistling:

When I was at school 70's / 80's it was mainly Liverpool - a sprinkling of Man Utd, Arsenal, Spuds and Everton.

This thread might be more suited to your topic of interest:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/212269-why-do-you-support-the-club-you-do/page__p__2212039__fromsearch__1#entry2212039

One poster out of 52 admitted to having chosen the club they support because of its success.

I think though that success has to be considered a factor for all of us, save for those who do actually live within walking distance to the grounds of their club, and how many people here can say that? Not many.

Fact is, the vast majority of those who say they support the club they do because it is nearest their home, are being a little economical with the truth. More accurately, they support the club they do because it is near their home - not nearest... and, it also just so happens to be the biggest club in the area (or in the case where there are two big clubs close together, one of biggest). Glory hunting on a smaller more local scale? Some might say so.

Anyway, as i say, a discussion for another thread.

This thread might be more suited to your topic of interest:

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry2212039

One poster out of 52 admitted to having chosen the club they support because of its success.

I think though that success has to be considered a factor for all of us, save for those who do actually live within walking distance to the grounds of their club, and how many people here can say that? Not many.

Fact is, the vast majority of those who say they support the club they do because it is nearest their home, are being a little economical with the truth. More accurately, they support the club they do because it is near their home - not nearest... and, it also just so happens to be the biggest club in the area (or in the case where there are two big clubs close together, one of biggest). Glory hunting on a smaller more local scale? Some might say so.

Anyway, as i say, a discussion for another thread.

Not really its far more relevent on this thread with all you Man Yooo fans :) Most of those polled were probably Utd supporters anyway, expats, probably never been to the ground but wanting to support a winning team, following the red nose of success.

We could start a separate thread i suppose but it would'nt change opinions either way

Not really its far more relevent on this thread with all you Man Yooo fans :) Most of those polled were probably Utd supporters anyway, expats, probably never been to the ground but wanting to support a winning team, following the red nose of success.

We could start a separate thread i suppose but it would'nt change opinions either way

:coffee1:

Well, if it's relevant on this thread, it's equally as relevant on the Spurs thread. Man United might have a larger catchment area in terms of its supporters, but i'd wager this season's title that proportionately, Spurs supporters who can truthfully claim to support the club closest to their home, is no different from the number of Man United's supporters who can make the same claim.

Truth is, 96.7%* of all supporters of all clubs, don't support the club nearest to their home. Otherwise, all clubs, big and small, up and down the breath of the country, would all enjoy fairly equal support. Fact is, they don't. Why? Cos nobody wants to support a crap team. And by crap, i don't mean West Ham (sorry Singh), by crap, i mean the top player in the team juggles his time playing for the team with a full time job stacking shelves in Sainsburys.

*Made up statistic for the purposes of proving a point.

:coffee1:

But its true. Theres expats from all over the place on here....Canada, United States, Australia, even the depths of wales and cornwall.

success attracts fans, this is hardly news. go back eight or ten years and i can't imagine there were many chelsea fans in southeast asia for example. nowadays after repeated champions league exposure there are plenty.

success attracts fans, this is hardly news. go back eight or ten years and i can't imagine there were many chelsea fans in southeast asia for example. nowadays after repeated champions league exposure there are plenty.

Very true.

How else though do new football fans in SouthEast Asia, who follow English football, choose a team to support, if not by how well the team plays. Of course they are bound to start supporting the team with the best players. Natural i would say, and it doesn't make them any less of a fan than anybody else... until the day when they drop their support because the team isn't playing well, and switch it to a more successful team. Now that is the definition of a glory-hunter, and they deserve all the mocking and ridicule that comes their way. The guy who in 40 years is still supporting Chelsea, having started his support a few years ago when they were winning everything, he on the other hand, who has seen the team go through thick and thin (hopefully a lot of thin) is as much a valid supporter as anybody else, even though the beginnings of his support were down to the success of the club.

Very true.

How else though do new football fans in SouthEast Asia, who follow English football, choose a team to support, if not by how well the team plays. Of course they are bound to start supporting the team with the best players. Natural i would say, and it doesn't make them any less of a fan than anybody else... until the day when they drop their support because the team isn't playing well, and switch it to a more successful team. Now that is the definition of a glory-hunter, and they deserve all the mocking and ridicule that comes their way. The guy who in 40 years is still supporting Chelsea, having started his support a few years ago when they were winning everything, he on the other hand, who has seen the team go through thick and thin (hopefully a lot of thin) is as much a valid supporter as anybody else, even though the beginnings of his support were down to the success of the club.

probably warrants its own thread this discussion really.

i agree about fans in SEA, i have no problem with how fans in this part of the world choose the team they follow - it's human nature. i do think that there's a definition to be made between 'fan' and 'supporter' though and think we've had that chat before on here.

had a chat with a mate recently about the weirdness of 40something year old MK dons fans. either they switched allegiance from wimbledon to MK when the club was moved or they have begun supporting MK at 40 meaning they are totally new to football or switched from someone else.

had a chat with a mate recently about the weirdness of 40something year old MK dons fans. either they switched allegiance from wimbledon to MK when the club was moved or they have begun supporting MK at 40 meaning they are totally new to football or switched from someone else.

You are right Stevie, that is a weird one.

I have a mate, about that sort of age, who is totally new to football having never shown much interest at all in the game before. He now supports Chelsea. Why? Well because his son of about 10 is very much into football and that was the team he decided to support - not because they live in Chelsea i hasten to add. Of course it is usually the other way round, with son carrying on the support of the father.

Anyway, perhaps the same phenomenon is at work here with young lads in the area starting to support MK Suki... whoops... MK Dons, and their fathers getting behind their sons, so to speak. Who knows...

So there is hope for Sheffield United then?

I can see the shirts all over SE Asia when they become sucessful. Unfortunately this probably won't be in my lifetime though :(

I can see the shirts all over SE Asia when they become sucessful. Unfortunately this probably won't be in my lifetime though :(

Well, i'm sure Man City supporters would have felt the exact same way a few years ago, and ok, their shirts may not be that common a sight yet, but you can bet that will change if they start winning stuff regularly (i would add, heaven forbid, but it goes without saying i think).

When I was at school 70's / 80's it was mainly Liverpool - a sprinkling of Man Utd, Arsenal, Spuds and Everton.

You are havin a laugh there Toady 70's / 80's haha more like 50's and 60's B)

BT :jap:

You are havin a laugh there Toady 70's / 80's haha more like 50's and 60's B)

BT :jap:

:lol: V funny mate, I'm not that old :unsure:

Don't Sheffield United have a tie up with one of the Chinese teams?

It's probably why there is so much biterness from Spuds fans :)

This is what us spuds have been getting at for the last few days and finally it looks like man u are agreeing thats why they have so many distant supporters 41.gif well at least we got there in the end 15.gif.

Edited by alfieconn

I have a mate, about that sort of age, who is totally new to football having never shown much interest at all in the game before. He now supports Chelsea. Why? Well because his son of about 10 is very much into football and that was the team he decided to support - not because they live in Chelsea i hasten to add. Of course it is usually the other way round, with son carrying on the support of the father.

Anyway, perhaps the same phenomenon is at work here with young lads in the area starting to support MK Suki... whoops... MK Dons, and their fathers getting behind their sons, so to speak. Who knows...

yes, could be some truth in that rix. suddenly they have a pro team in a place they've never had one, lads get interested dads go along with them etc. pissed me right off what charles koppel did with wimbledon though all the same.

hehe. i've been in thailand over three years and don't think i've ever seen a local wearing a spurs shirt. though given the amount of fakes and copies here i don't imagine that they're losing out on that much official revenue.

hehe. i've been in thailand over three years and don't think i've ever seen a local wearing a spurs shirt. though given the amount of fakes and copies here i don't imagine that they're losing out on that much official revenue.

Actually Stevie, I saw one of the tramps on Sukhumvit wearing a Spuds shirt :) Poor bloke, really down on his luck.

Edited by mrtoad

Actually Stevie, I saw one of the tramps on Sukhumvit wearing a Spuds shirt :) Poor bloke, really down on his luck.

yes, alan hutton's career has really nosedived since his 9m move to the seven sisters hasn't it?

yes, alan hutton's career has really nosedived since his 9m move to the seven sisters hasn't it?

Yeah - come to think of it, he did have a can of Tennants Super in his hand and pissed stained trousers :ph34r:

Going over old ground chaps :o , we've already ascertained that long distance supporters only support successfull clubs so why would locals wear spurs shirts ;):D

Going over old ground chaps :o , we've already ascertained that long distance supporters only support successfull clubs so why would locals wear spurs shirts ;):D

So was it you or carms then that I saw staggering around Sukhumvit in a Spud shirt? :ph34r: