Manchester United

redrus

Report: United 1 Barca 0

Before the game the message was to believe. Now you can. United are going to Moscow.

And what sweet irony it is that Paul Scholes, the man who along with Roy Keane missed the Champions League final in 1999, scored the goal to take United there.

United were dealt a real blow when Nemanja Vidic and Wayne Rooney were ruled out before kick-off. Vidic hadn’t recovered after losing a tooth in a challenge with Didier Drogba against Chelsea on Saturday, while Rooney was kept out with a persistent hip problem. Fortunately, Wes Brown had slotted in seamlessly in the Nou Camp last week when Vidic was ill. And Rooney’s replacement, Carlos Tevez, has scored important goals in big games this season – notably Chelsea, Liverpool, Lyon and, recently, Blackburn.

Barcelona, meanwhile, are considered a club in crisis in Catalonia. But Frank Rijkaard was able to rest several key players in their weekend defeat to Deportivo la Coruna, so they arrived at Old Trafford fresh and with the Champions League representing their only chance of silverware this season.

Before kick-off, United’s fans held up cards in the Stretford End and the old schoreboard end. Behind one goal, a picture of the European Cup and the years 68 and 99, at the other end the simple message: Believe. After press claims that Sir Alex’s side had cracked under pressure, it was exactly what United had to do.

Old Trafford buzzed with anticipation and the atmosphere was as electric as it has been for years. But hearts were in mouths when, after barely a minute, Lionel Messi went tumbling in the box. Paul Scholes committed the foul, but referee Herbert Fandel judged the offence to have taken place outside the box.

Sometimes semi-finals are an occasion that call for supporters to be on their game as much as the players, and the Red army weren’t about to let anyone down. The fans cheered each intricate move, every tackle won, even throw-ins. It was no surprise that the first 10 minutes were fraught and frenetic. As the dust settled, Barcelona did as the European away manual dictates: they kept the ball, attempting to quieten the support and frustrate United’s players.

The Reds almost expected it, sticking to the game plan and picking Barcelona off when they did venture forward. And at the first opportunity Cristiano Ronaldo had to open up and run at Barcelona, the approach paid off. His run was halted on the edge of the area, but the ball fell to Paul Scholes and he hit a humdinger into the top corner. He may no longer give many reasons to legitimately air the song ‘Paul Scholes, he scores goals’, but if he has become more selective, he’s not lost his sense for the big occasion. Old Trafford erupted. The dream start.

Barcelona, of course, still represented a danger – Messi’s darting runs and the presence of Samuel Eto’o made sure of that. The point was highlighted when Messi had Edwin van der Sar at full stretch to stop a curling effort five minutes after United took the lead.

United, with Ronaldo ever the outlet, were hardly sitting on the lead. The Portuguese winger’s pull-back found Ji-sung Park on 25 minutes, whose side-footed shot was desperately close to doubling the lead. Deco twice went close from long range efforts, while Nani headed just wide from Park’s pinpoint cross. As the play ebbed and flowed, this tie became the product of two clubs built only to attack.

The Reds had to be careful that the lead at half time did not lull United into a false sense of security, knowing that a Barcelona equaliser would be enough to send them through. United attacked without reservation, and on 55 minutes Tevez went close to making it 2-0. A neat one-two with Ronaldo on the edge of the box and he was aware, with three defenders in pursuit, but his shot from 12 yards was saved well by Victor Valdes.

Former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry was introduced on the hour as Barcelona looked to penetrate, and seconds later Deco again went close with a 30-yard free-kick that deflected off the wall. The tension at the precariousness of United’s lead may have added to the drama for any neutral, but for Reds fans it was hel_l. But credit to the supporters, the noise rarely inside the stadium rarely dropped.

Sensing the need to keep the ball – Barcelona held the vast majority of the possession – Sir Alex swapped Nani and Scholes for Ryan Giggs and Darren Fletcher.

Entering the final ten minutes, it had become a game of surprisingly few chances, although Barcelona were virtually camped in United’s half and continued to relentlessly probe and press. The Reds’ performance was epitomised by Tevez. His tireless display took on the role of closing down defenders, tracking back and tackling anything that moved in a Barcelona shirt.The six minutes of injury time seemed like an age, but United defended bravely, valiantly, and finally held out.

Follow, follow, follow, United are going to Moscow.

Team Line-ups

Manchester United: Van der Sar; Hargreaves, Ferdinand, Brown, Evra (Silvestre 90); Nani (Giggs 76), Carrick, Scholes (Fletcher 76), Park; Ronaldo, Tevez.

Subs not used: Kuszczak, Anderson, O'Shea, Welbeck.

FC Barcelona: Valdes; Zambrotta, Puyol, Milito, Abidal; Messi, Xavi, Toure (Gudjohnsen), Deco, Iniesta (Henry 60); Eto'o (Bojan 71).

Subs not used: Pinto, Edmilson, Silvinho, Thuram.

Attendance: 75,061

:o

redrus

Ferguson heaps praise on Scholes

Sir Alex Ferguson promised Paul Scholes he would play in Moscow after the midfielder's goal sent Manchester United into the Champions League final.

Scholes, who was banned for the 1999 final, scored with a superb drive to sink Barcelona at Old Trafford and set up an all-English showpiece in Russia.

"He's one of the great players to come through the ranks here," said Ferguson.

"But I'm so pleased for everyone. It's a great feeling, marvellous. This club deserves to be in the final."

Scholes's swerving strike from 25 yards was only his second goal of the season - and the 33-year-old's first in the Champions League since October 2006.

The United boss added: "We can't expect him to score 15-20 goals a season like he did when he was younger, but the one he got tonight makes up for all the ones he can no longer score."

Ferguson's side will now meet Chelsea or Liverpool on 21 May in the first all-English final in the history of the competition.

United, who were without injured duo Wayne Rooney and Nemanja Vidic, were under pressure for long spells but their defence ensured Barca had very few clearcut chances.

"It's not easy to beat Barca because they play fantastic football but several things won us the game," said Ferguson.

"The concentration at the back, we protected the space really well and with our play up front, we could have scored three or four goals.

"I think we were too nervous in the first half but in the second half we played with much more conviction.

"Towards the end of the game, they had a go and we're very glad we got through that spell in the last 15 minutes. It was a bit of a 'hang-on job' but they didn't really make any chances and that's down to our defence."

Captain Rio Ferdinand was among United's best players, along with defensive partner Wes Brown, midfielder Ji-Sung Park and the tireless Carlos Tevez.

Ferdinand said: "We had to dig deep at the end because they put us under pressure.

"It was our discipline and a moment of quality from a fantastic player that got us through. We don't care who we play in the final. Whoever comes we will be ready."

Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard admitted his side's inability to turn possession into chances had cost them.

"We did everything but score," he said.

"It was a very even game, if anything we had the better of the play. But the rules are that the team that scores goes through and they did that.

"It is a tough defeat to take and it is hard to stomach. The Champions League is very important and it is over for us now. But after this game can walk away with our heads held high."

As superb effort from all of the players, Ferdinand and Hargreaves were excellent IMO, but as pointed out in this Brown, Tevez and Park also had fantastic games. Wes Brown this season has almost been like getting a new signing, he's always been a good player, but now he's injury free he is really starting to fulfil the promise. Park is just getting better, and his work ethic is excellent, he was unlucky not to score as well. As for Tevez, well he's a world class player who is not afraid of hard work.

In the end all of the players did a good job, but why did he bring on Fletcher?

Edited by mrtoad

Absolutely superb :o

An absolute screamer from Paul Scholes to win it.

Like in the Nou Camp Barcelona had lots of possession without really threatening.

United looked the more likely to score again with efforts from Park Ji Sung,Nani and Tevez.

Messi was man of the match but Uniteds back 4 were all fantastic.

And a special word for Tevez who worked his socks off up front.

An all English final.....fantastic for the Premiership.Now we can all relax and enjoy the Chelsea v Liverpool game to see who will have the privilege of being runners up in Moscow :D

Hey,maybe Thaksin thinks he can line up Sir Alex as Svens replacement !!

Job done again. 4-1. Good performance. Nanin was an idiot for getting involved with Lucas Neill, who IMO should have also been red carded. N o complaints though, he deserved to go for that act of stupidity.

Always nice to beat WH, as they have been a bit of a bogey team over the last few years. Great goal from Tevez, who continues to get better and better.

One game to go now, and hopefully a decent result next week.

Good luck for Newcastle on Monday!!

Job done again. 4-1. Good performance. Nanin was an idiot for getting involved with Lucas Neill, who IMO should have also been red carded. N o complaints though, he deserved to go for that act of stupidity.

Always nice to beat WH, as they have been a bit of a bogey team over the last few years. Great goal from Tevez, who continues to get better and better.

The curse of ex-players strikes again. Good one from the Apache and he had the dignity to raise a hand in apology to the West Ham U fans and not celebrate too much :o Well done! Good luck for Wigan and Moscow, as well :D

The curse of ex-players strikes again. Good one from the Apache and he had the dignity to raise a hand in apology to the West Ham U fans and not celebrate too much :o Well done! Good luck for Wigan and Moscow, as well :D

Cheers Keddy, hopefully will put one over Chelski in Moscow.

Not sure what to make of the Dean Ashton rumours about him going to United, seems a little unlikely, but anything is possible I suppose. Cracking goal he scored, but he's limped off injured again. United need a another striker for sure, but not one who has lots of injuries like Balsa Boy.

As for Tevez, he showed a little bit of class not to rub it in, and it was a fantastic goal.

Hello,

I'm going to be in Bangkok during the Wigan United game and I was wondering which channel is the game on? Will most 5 star hotels have the channel?

Last time I was in Bangkok I watched EPL on ESPN, however after checking their website I found out their not showing any football next Sunday.

Who has the TV rights now?

Hello,

I'm going to be in Bangkok during the Wigan United game and I was wondering which channel is the game on? Will most 5 star hotels have the channel?

Last time I was in Bangkok I watched EPL on ESPN, however after checking their website I found out their not showing any football next Sunday.

Who has the TV rights now?

Turdvisions, I have put it on you're other thread. You'll probably need to go out to watch it.

United 4 West Ham 1

Thought it was going to end up about 6-0 but a good goal from Dean Ashton plus Nanis sending off ensured the scoreline stayed respectable.

Ronaldo,what more can you say ..... :o:D

Just two wins away from the double now.

Ryan Giggs = Legend

I'm going to bed a happy bunny tonight, even if the very strange ESPN feed on eurosport got cut before I got to see the boys lift the cup.

Now, I have EVERYTHING crossed for a week on Weds.

Ryan Giggs = Legend

I'm going to bed a happy bunny tonight, even if the very strange ESPN feed on eurosport got cut before I got to see the boys lift the cup.

Now, I have EVERYTHING crossed for a week on Weds.

Couldn't agree with you more. Giggs is a legend, and a deserving goal for a great player.

Now for Wednesday week.

they showed only one game in Aus last night :D

and I dozed off in the midst of it :D

so nah I dont know who won, who lifted what cup.....:o

'

:D

Well Done Lads

You've made an old bloke very happy once again.

To Ryan, congratulations on a fitting finale to a fantastic career.

and may the good spirits of all Red Devils past & present be with you on the 21st.

:o:D:D:D:D

Premiership Champions,next stop Champions of Europe :D:D

Avram Grant made a big issue of the title being decided by a play off if the teams finished level on points so good to see Matty Taylors equaliser in the fifth minute of injury time for Bolton :o

Looking forward to the game. The momentum is with us now, so with any luck we will be lifting that trophy next week. United do their talking on the pitch!!! :o

I agree but I am sorry that I can't be in BKK to watch the game with you guys. I Hope its a great game with Man Utd winning 3 - 0 - so Mig can stop whistling :D

BT :D

Man Utd 1 Chelsea 1 (United win 6-5 0n penalties)

What a great match.What a fantastic advertisment for the Premiership.

What a shame such a game had to be decided on penalties.John Terry was my man of the match and,even as a United fan,I felt sorry for him when he missed.

United were superb for the first 35 minutes.How Chelsea were level at half time even the KGB would find difficult to explain !

But the second half Chelsea were in control and United were grateful for the final whistle.Extra time was pretty even.

What was that melee that had Drogba sent off all about....handbags at dawn! Earlier I thought Makelele and Carvalho were harshly booked but one person who deserved to go was Ballack for his continual whingeing at the ref.

So United end up with the two major trophies...a bit harsh on Chelsea who were so close,but theres always next season....coming soon !!

Genuinly pleased that you won. Although if they'd have kept playing as in the first half it would have been better. Chesea came back with a vengence I guess.

But the unique mixture of feelings I felt when the West Ham boy lifted the Cup is something that I'll never forgeet.

'

My finger-nails have been chewed down to my elbows.

Winning by penalties doesn't do my old heart any good.

All in all I have to agree with Macclad, 1st half was ours and the 2nd was theirs and all pretty even in E.T.

Thought it was all over when Ronaldo missed ( I wish he would stop doing that stutter run - it's now a dead give away) and my heart went out to J.T. when he fired wide - but when Van der Sar saved the shot from Anelka I was ecstatic.

Well Done Lads - Same again next year please.......... :o

'With the history of the club we deserved this trophy'

Daniel Taylor in Moscow The Guardian, Thursday May 22

2008 Article historyAbout this articleClose This article appeared in the Guardian on Thursday May 22 2008 on p3 of the Sport news & features section. It was last updated at 01:20 on May 22 2008.

It was the night that Manchester United reminded the world they yield to nobody as producers of drama. Cristiano Ronaldo buried his face in the turf and screamed with joy. Ryan Giggs wiped tears from his face and, in the midst of all the bedlam, a 66-year-old man could be seen dancing in the rain, kicking out his legs in uncoordinated little circles.

Sir Alex Ferguson, it must be said, did not have the grace of Gene Kelly, but his face was suffused with the kind of smile that might be a permanent fixture this summer. "I'm so proud of my players," he said, his hair stuck to his forehead at the end of a night when the rain was almost as incessant as the tension. "We deserved it. With the history of this club we deserved to get this trophy tonight."

The last time we saw Ferguson in this state of ecstasy was nine years earlier at the Nou Camp when, in the space of one crazy minute, they had gone from 1-0 down against Bayern Munich to winning the European Cup. Last night was another reminder, as John Terry's haunted expression made clear, that, as far as Manchester United are concerned, it is never over until the fat lady has had a heart attack.

"I think the first half we were fantastic," said Ferguson. "We should have been three or four up by half-time. Second half, I thought they were the better team. Extra time, we got better again. Then that's the first penalty shoot-out I have ever won in a big game. I won the Charity Shield that way, but that doesn't really count. The European Cup? The FA Cup? The Scottish cups? Never. I've lost three with Aberdeen and three with United, so seventh time lucky — magnificent."

The party at United's hotel was scheduled to go on until 7.30am local time and Cristiano Ronaldo was determined to add to the sense of celebration. "I'm going to stay," he said — four words that will go down like a lead balloon at Real Madrid. "How could I leave after that?"

When Edwin van der Sar pushed away Nicolas Anelka's penalty, Ronaldo was the one player who did not rush to the scrum of celebration. Instead he collapsed to the turf and covered his face with his hands, a private moment in a very public scene. "I thought we would lose when I missed my penalty," he said. "I thought it would be the worst day of my life. Now it's the happiest day of my life."

It would be difficult to find a more exhilarating night in Giggs's career. "I couldn't have done it on a better night," said Giggs, having broken Sir Bobby Charlton's appearances record. "To play that many games for this club is brilliant but it's about winning trophies. I have been fortunate to win a lot. Hopefully I will have more. We've won it three times now but we want to win it more."

Ferguson identified Edwin van der Sar for special acclaim, presenting him with a plaque as Uefa's man-of-the-match, and going on to compare him with Peter Schmeichel. "That penalty save was no accident," said Ferguson. "I have to say I thought it was over when Cristiano missed his penalty. But the slip by John Terry gave us an opening. Maybe it was fate, him missing his kick like that. I really think fate has played its hand."

By that, he was referring to a team-talk in which he had reminded his players it was the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. "I said that we wouldn't let down the memory of the Busby Babes," he said. "We had a cause and that was very important because people with causes are very difficult for people to barter against. So I'm very, very proud. Sometimes you have to pinch yourself but the thing about me is that I don't get carried away. Tomorrow morning I will be thinking about next season. It drains away very quickly — that drug, that final moment, that save, it vanishes for me. I will be thinking about the future and looking into the players' eyes to make sure their hunger is still there. Iwill not be retring."

:D:D

What a game, and in the end I think we did deserve it. First half all United and Second half all Chelsea, but we were certainly better in Extra time. I think more interesting is that it looks like the Ronaldo rumours have been put to bed, abd Ferguson also has no intention of retiring. United conducted themselves in a proper manner, which was in great contrast to the whinging, whining, diving and disputing off all the decisions that the ref made. Ballack in particular IMO is a very lucky man not to have been sent off for persistent dissent, and he was the initial casue of the fracas that resulted in the "Idiot Drogba" getting sent off. OK, they might not have liked the fact that United knocked the ball into touch, but Chelsea had done the same on three previous occasions when United had given possession away for injuries. A case "TOUGH SHIT".

Well done to United and Sir Alex once again, a great night ableit a late one. I'm hoping there'll be a couple more in the near future. As for Chelsea, they played their part in a dramatic final, but I really can't feel sorry for them. I very much doubt they have won any new friends with their behaviour on the pitch last night.

It was great to win in such dramatic fashion and see United led up the steps by the Legend Bobby Charlton, in contrast Chelsea were led up the steps by Peter Kenyon :o (<deleted>?).,I think that sums it up. :D

top post mr toady.

i am over the moon,i had to leave for work straight after end of extra time i could not bring myself to watch just got updates in the car.

look forward tonight to see the full replay.

john terry is a man utd fan wonder if he slipped on purpose.