Manchester United

redrus

Heres one for you people....

United Make Thierry Henry Approach - Reports

redissue

Friday, 25th July 2008

United have have reportedly made an approach for former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry.

Media reports on Friday are suggesting that United have asked Barcelona about the availability of the French international striker.

The reports suggest that if United fail to land Dimitar Berbatov from Tottenham they will try to tempt Henry into returning toThe Premier League.

redrus

If it's true, I think we'd all be happy about that, although maybe not Mig.

You should post this in the Arsenal forum :o

Edited by mrtoad

Happy indeed, although Henry has gone on record a number of times saying that the only club he'd play for in England is Arsenal. Not that players of course don't change their minds, but he is a man with a bit of loyalty and integrity, unlike some we know!

Happy indeed, although Henry has gone on record a number of times saying that the only club he'd play for in England is Arsenal. Not that players of course don't change their minds, but he is a man with a bit of loyalty and integrity, unlike some we know!

I agree. Can't see him going to play for United. Arsenal are in his heart.

Barcelona ace Thierry Henry admits Liverpool's Anfield is the best stadium to play at for atmosphere. "It's the atmosphere I love. It's unbelievable. I've played in a lot of stadiums but for me there is nothing like playing at Liverpool.

"Nothing can beat Highbury, of course, but playing at Anfield was great. The fans always sing and hold up their scarves before and after the game - whether they have won or lost.

"It must be amazing if you are a Liverpool player."

Henry at Anfield? Don't know why, but i just can't picture him in a Liverpool shirt.

Besides, the Scousers already have arguably the best striker in the Premiership. I don't think Henry could displace him.

Man U is more likely and that's not very likely, IMO.

United set to complete permanent deal for Tevez

Updated: July 26, 2008, 5:28 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester United are expected to make Carlos Tevez a permanent signing before the end of the year.

Reports suggest the fee will be £32million, which will make Tevez the most expensive player in English football.

The Premier League champions are believed to be close to agreeing a deal with Tevez's owners - sports investment firm MSI - which will turn his current two-year loan deal into a permanent move.

United chief executive David Gill earlier this week admitted: 'We have spoken to Carlos and see him as part of our long-term squad.

'We have been pleased with his first season. He is a good age - a great player and well liked within the team.

'We know what we have to do and what we have to pay. The only issue is that we would have to sort out a long-term contract for him.

'But it's not a problem - we can do it in September, October, November or December.'

Without a new contract, the 24-year-old Argentina striker would be free to talk to other clubs in January.

Kia Joorabchian - whose MSI company have owned the player since last year - explained today: 'We will help him accelerate the deal to make sure it goes through.

'Everyone's keen to make sure his future is dealt with in the correct way. Manchester United have been fantastic with Carlos - he's very lucky to have them and they are lucky too because he's been very good for them.

'It looks like it should happen - but we don't know the timing, whether it will be a month, two or six. But we'll make sure when the time is right everything is done smoothly.'

United did the Premier League and Champions League double last season - and the Argentinian wants a repeat this year - with the FA Cup to boot.

Joorabchian continued: 'He wants to do the treble - that's his ambition at the moment.

'He had six months at West Ham struggling at the bottom but managed to help them survive - and in his first season at Manchester United he won the double.

'He's won 11 major titles and he's only 24 - but winning the Champions League meant the most to him - he's extremely proud to win that with Manchester United. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world.'

Joorabchian also moved to clarify Tevez's position on Cristiano Ronaldo.

Tevez was quoted earlier in the week claiming his United team-mate should be allowed to join Real Madrid if he wishes.

However, Joorabchian explained: 'Carlos isn't the type to talk about other players or their futures.

'He said that Cristiano has to make up his own mind and that it's up to him - obviously we want him to stay but if he wants to leave there's nothing we can do.

'That was what he said through his broken English - which is getting much better.'

Ferguson rubbishes talk of playing Shield overseas

Updated: July 26, 2008, 2:16 PM UK

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes the idea of hosting the Community Shield outside England is a non-starter.

The Red Devils will face Portsmouth in this year's showdown at Wembley on August 10 and Ferguson maintains that the national stadium is the perfect venue for the match.

United have been building up to the game by participating in the Vodacom Challenge in South Africa.

Asked whether the Community Shield should be played in another country, Ferguson said: 'I would hope not, for the simple reason that you're only seven days before the start of the season.

'To be thinking of going to other countries, far away, at that time, it's too close to the start of the season as far as I'm concerned.

'If you look at our pre-seasons over the years, we've always given players plenty of time to recover from our trips. I would not want it to happen. I think Wembley is the perfect stage.'

United, in fact, will face Portsmouth tomorrow in Nigeria in a dress rehearsal of the Community Shield.

They will fly out straight after the final of the Vodacom Challenge against Kaizer Chiefs.

Ferguson explained the reasons why they decided to play a second game in the space of 24 hours.

He said: 'We have never been to Nigeria. It was just an opportunity. You could say it was partly financial, of course. Today you have to take money into consideration because we have a big operation to run.'

Ferguson is impressed by the progress of football in South Africa.

He continued: 'There has been a marked improvement in the standard of the game in the last two years.

'The teams' competitive attitude has also improved. To play at the very top level you need players who can play at good intensity and at a good speed.

'I think a lot of them would be comfortable playing in England - they have athleticism, speed, determination and these are qualities any top club looks for.'

Meanwhile Ferguson has targeted a goalkeeping coach to replace Tony Coton, who was forced to quit because of injury.

Ferguson added: 'We have approached someone for the job and we're waiting for clearance to employ him. We hope we will have clearance by the beginning of August.'

• 2 weeks later...

United are facing a very difficicult opening to their title defence as injuries and illness have decimated the squad.

Rooney out for an undisclosed period with a mystery virus.

Carrick on the sick list with a similar complaint.

Hargreaves has not been able to play as tendonitis has hit him again and that must be a real worry for his footballing future. He struggled with it last year and is shows no sign of getting better.

Nani suspended for 3 matches, a carry over from last years head butting episode.

Anderson with the Brazil Olympic team.

Gary Neville with a calf injury.

Ronald sulking in his mansion, out until early Oct at best.

Saha apparently on his way to Uniteds B team, Sunderland.

Things are pretty dire not in the defensive positions but only Tevez as a recognised goal scorer.

Time for the young ones to stand up and if anyone saw the Peterborough game what a revelation the new young Brazillian twins were.

At last some good news.....its official,Ronaldo is staying at least for one more season and accepts that a lot of the speculation about his future was down to him.

www.bbcsport.com

Good news for United,their supporters and Fantasy League teams with Ronaldo in the side :o

At last some good news.....its official,Ronaldo is staying at least for one more season and accepts that a lot of the speculation about his future was down to him.

www.bbcsport.com

Good news for United,their supporters and Fantasy League teams with Ronaldo in the side :o

some excellent revisionism going on from manyoo fans. a week ago ronaldo was the son of satan, a selfish, greedy, arrogant tosser and it was good riddance to bad rubbish. now he's decided that he'll stay for a while, clearly against his ego's wishes, he's welcome back into the fold again.

www.bbcsport.com

some excellent revisionism going on from manyoo fans. a week ago ronaldo was the son of satan, a selfish, greedy, arrogant tosser and it was good riddance to bad rubbish. now he's decided that he'll stay for a while, clearly against his ego's wishes, he's welcome back into the fold again.

Sounds like sour grapes from a Chelsea / Arsenal / Liverspot fan who doesn't fancy the idea of Ronnie back where he belongs.

www.bbcsport.com

Good news for United,their supporters and Fantasy League teams with Ronaldo in the side :D

:o

Er, no he's not. While he wears the Red shirt, he will be supported as a player but will never be looked at in the same light ever again and, good riddance when he goes....!

redrus

Sounds like sour grapes from a Chelsea / Arsenal / Liverspot fan who doesn't fancy the idea of Ronnie back where he belongs.

nah, not sour grapes at all. he's a fantastic player but a horrible, nasty little scrote. so perhaps being a nasty little scrote, old trafford is indeed where he belongs. :o

Er, no he's not. While he wears the Red shirt, he will be supported as a player but will never be looked at in the same light ever again and, good riddance when he goes....!

redrus

fair play, that's about the attitude my manc mates back home have. i don't think he'll get quite the same support from match-going manyoo fans anyway, his behaviour this summer has been shameful.

redrus

fair play, that's about the attitude my manc mates back home have. i don't think he'll get quite the same support from match-going manyoo fans anyway, his behaviour this summer has been shameful.

I can recall a similar statement following the Rooney incident a few year's back. Another 40 goals this year, and soon he will be toast of the town AGAIN.

I tend to agree with bkkjames.Remember a couple of years ago after the World Cup incident with Rooney,Ronaldo was public enemy number 1.

This only seemed to inspire Ronaldo.His last two seasons have been fantastic.

So whose to say that this will not happen again and,if it does,this saga with Real Madrid will be forgotten by most fans.

I blame Real Madrid rather than Ronaldo for all the speculation and for that <deleted> Blatter to get involved was disgraceful.

That said,I will be surprised if Ronaldo is still at United in 2012 but the fact he has decided to stay,if only for a season or so,gives the club time to plan for the future.

United may well face bigger problems when Sir Alex finally decides to call it a day.

nah, not sour grapes at all. he's a fantastic player but a horrible, nasty little scrote. so perhaps being a nasty little scrote, old trafford is indeed where he belongs. :o

WUM alert....! :D

Ronaldo has been made by United and mainly SAF. He would not be the same player if was anywhere else, like it or not.! Therefore if we can get 50 to 80 million for him then, let it be. SAF can quite easily spend that money 4 new players, 1 in each position GK, DF, MF and ST and, develop Nani into a better player than Ronnie.

This is not the first bleedin season this has happened, it's 3 in a row now so, next summer, sell him to Barcelona........... :D

redrus (match going red)

I blame Real Madrid rather than Ronaldo for all the speculation and for that <deleted> Blatter to get involved was disgraceful.

You are being too kind on Ronaldo. Yes, Real Madrid chased him, but which team wouldn't if he said "come and get me", which he clearly did. It all started right from the final whistle of the Champion's League victory, when he was evasive about his future. Of all nights, that one he really could have done with shutting his mouth and letting the team enoy the moment, but instead all the headlines were on him.

It always annoys me how supporters don't see it when one of their own players is a complete wonker. Take Drogba, Robben or Ballack. All shameless cheating <deleted>, but how often do you hear a Chelsea supporter say so.

If you are a Man U supporter and you defend Ronaldo for his cheating, his winking or his complete lack of loyalty or principles, shame on you i say. To me it doesn't matter how good he is, or how many goals he scores, the guy is a twunt and isn't worthy of wearing the shirt. Man U should have cashed in on him now, whilst he is hot property. In a season or two, who knows what will have happened to his form. Maybe the weight of his ego will bring it crashing down!

You are being too kind on Ronaldo. Yes, Real Madrid chased him, but which team wouldn't if he said "come and get me", which he clearly did. It all started right from the final whistle of the Champion's League victory, when he was evasive about his future. Of all nights, that one he really could have done with shutting his mouth and letting the team enoy the moment, but instead all the headlines were on him.

It always annoys me how supporters don't see it when one of their own players is a complete wonker. Take Drogba, Robben or Ballack. All shameless cheating <deleted>, but how often do you hear a Chelsea supporter say so.

If you are a Man U supporter and you defend Ronaldo for his cheating, his winking or his complete lack of loyalty or principles, shame on you i say. To me it doesn't matter how good he is, or how many goals he scores, the guy is a twunt and isn't worthy of wearing the shirt. Man U should have cashed in on him now, whilst he is hot property. In a season or two, who knows what will have happened to his form. Maybe the weight of his ego will bring it crashing down!

Ronaldo is a brilliant footballer, one of the best we have ever seen but he is also impulsive ,petulant and after winning every award possible last season carrying an inflated value of his worth. However the prospect of playing in sunny Spain for a huge wage and having access to beaches loaded with semi naked women at his beck and call opposed to dreary, grey Manchester is pretty hard for anybody ,at his age ,to resist. However through all this saga no one listened to his Mum who said weeks ago "He is staying at Old Trafford" We all know Mothers are invariable right, right?

Fergie played his cards brilliantly and the boy is back where he legally and morally belongs. The fans will get over it ,well most of them and when he smashes one in the back of the net to win a game all will beforgotten....almost !

This rumour's been going around for a while, hope it's right!! :o

Ferguson to launch £20m bid to land Henry

By Bob Cass Last updated at 10:07 PM on 09th August 2008

Manchester United will launch an astonishing £20million bid to land Thierry Henry before next weekend's Premier League curtain-raiser against Newcastle United.

Sir Alex Ferguson, whose team warm up against FA Cup winners Portsmouth in the FA Community Shield today, has made the ex-Arsenal hitman his top priority following the breakdown of United's attempt to sign Dimitar Berbatov from Tottenham. Appropriately, if a deal goes through this week, Henry could make his United debut against Newcastle on his 31st birthday next Sunday.

United will move quickly with their approach to Barcelona, the mercurial Frenchman's club, now that any interest they had in Berbatov is almost certainly at an end. The relationship between the domestic and European champions and Spurs has hit rock bottom, with bitterness deteriorating into open warfare.

Tottenham are determined to press home with their charge that United made an illegal approach for the Bulgarian, despite strong indications that a Premier League inquiry will rule that the champions have no case to answer.

Only a totally unexpected and completely unforeseen climbdown by Spurs could put the Berbatov deal back on, but by then it is likely to be too late - and Henry could be in the bag for the big kick-off.

The Frenchman is by no means a consolation prize. He has long been admired by Ferguson, coveted during his eight seasons with Arsenal from 1999-2007 and never off the United manager's radar, even after what many people regarded as, by his own standards, an uneventful season at the Nou Camp.

Ferguson has not forgotten that Henry, capped 102 times by France, was top scorer almost every season at Arsenal, achieving the distinction of becoming the club's all-time leading marksman with 226 goals in all competitions. He was Footballer of the Year on three occasions, and the main man in Arsene Wenger's march to two League titles and three FA Cups.

It has also not escaped Ferguson's notice that in a season at Barcelona when he was employed mainly on the wing, he still finished top scorer with 19 goals, one more than Samuel Eto'o and three more than Lionel Messi. Ferguson is also reassured that the series of injuries that blighted Henry's final months at the Emirates Stadium are behind him.

Cabinet-Makers Required for Trophy Room Extension

Required urgently.

Rumour has it that Darren Fletcher ran around like a man possessed and was almost MoM but Teves took the honours. Anybody see it, as we here in Thailand were denied the opportunity due to yet another UBC c*ck up........

Wasn't great mate, we were all over them and should have won in time.

Report by Steve Bartram on The Official Site.

Report: United 0 Pompey 0

United lifted the Community Shield for a record-extending 13th time, after overcoming Portsmouth in a penalty shootout at Wembley Stadium.

The Reds dominated for long spells against Harry Redknapp's side, but found themselves frustrated by another superb display from Pompey goalkeeper David James, who made fine second-half saves from Darren Fletcher and Carlos Tevez.

The England international was unable to extend his heroics into the shootout, however, as Tevez, Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick all found the net, while Pompey missed three of their four kicks.

In normal time, the only clear opening of the first 45 minutes fell to Fletcher after Nani superbly robbed Glenn Johnson and crossed into the box. In sliding to reach the ball, Fletcher ended up stubbing his effort into the ground and effectively blocking his own shot.

United's dominance continued in the second period, with James called upon to superbly tip Fletcher's chip onto the crossbar and then clutch the rebound gratefully as Tevez managed to head an effort goalwards.

James made another stunning fingertip save to turn a Tevez effort wide of his right-hand post shortly afterwards, before Jermain Defoe burst through on goal in a rare Pompey attack, only to be denied by fine tracking back from Vidic.

With 15 minutes remaining, United should have been given the chance to win the game from the spot when Hermann Hreidarsson inexplicably held onto Tevez's leg inside the area, but ref Peter Walton saw no wrong.

Although John Utaka notched Pompey's first shot on target after 77 minutes (!), the impetus was still all United's. Substitute Fraizer Campbell fashioned space for himself but fired over the bar, and the Reds kept pressing until the very end.

Penalties were required though and, having triumphed against Chelsea in last year's Shield and the Champions League final, United had every cause to be confident. Serial spot-kick hero Edwin van der Sar was only required to make one save - from Arnold Mvuemba - as Lassana Diarra and Glenn Johnson both blazed their kicks over.

Johnson's miss sealed a 13th outright Community Shield triumph for the Reds - they've also shared five Shields - and ensured a silver-lined start to the 2008/09 season.

The teams

Manchester United: Van der Sar; Neville (Brown 67), Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher, O'Shea (Carrick 67), Scholes, Nani (Campbell 79); Giggs, Tevez.

Subs not used: Kuszczak, J Evans, Possebon, R da Silva.

Booked: Vidic, Neville

Portsmouth: James; Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson (Lauren 80); Diop, Mendes (Mvuemba 76), Diarra, Kranjcar (Utaka 60); Crouch, Defoe.

Subs not used: Ashdown, Sahar, Cranie, Traore.

Booked: Distin

redrus

08/08/2008 09:24, Report by Ben Hibbs at Carrington

Ronaldo's here for years

Having ensured that Cristiano Ronaldo will remain a United player this season, Sir Alex Ferguson feels the Portuguese winger will find it harder and harder to leave the club the longer he remains a Red.

The United boss was in an open and frank mood when quizzed about Ronny’s recent pledge of allegiance to the club, following a summer of intense speculation linking him with a move to Real Madrid.

Ronaldo's interview with Portuguese newspaper Publico earlier this week has, according to Sir Alex, drawn a line under the affair.

“We’re happy,” the Reds boss said at a press conference on Friday. “His interview was very good. From my perspective, he explained himself perfectly. As I said on Wednesday, the matter is now closed. He’s a Manchester United player and he’s happy to be here. He’s always been happy here. It’s just the unfortunate participation of Real Madrid in his life that has made it difficult for him.”

The United manager was equally bullish when presented with the notion that a repeat episode of Real Madrid's forthright pursuit of the player could take place next summer.

“The important thing is that we have ended all the stuff about Real Madrid,” he said defiantly. “As he gets older, I think Cristiano will appreciate being here more and more. That happens with players the longer they stay here. They don’t want to leave.

“If you look at Rio Ferdinand, who joined us as a young man from Leeds United, that’s exactly what has happened to him. He is now a real Manchester United person. He loves the club. And he comes from another country… he comes from London! It’s a different world there. There’s not a lot of difference from someone leaving London or Portugal

and coming to Manchester. You come north, you get a colder climate, a wetter climate. But you come to a real football city, which very few cities can say.”

Ronaldo, who is now back in Manchester and on a rehabilitation programme following ankle surgery over the summer, will pull on a United shirt again hopefully by the end of September. That is testimony to United and Sir Alex’s resolute stance.

“I think they (Real Madrid) now know they’re dealing with a different animal," added the boss. "I can’t deny that it was an important issue. There are very few players that have left me against my will. I’d have to think seriously about that one.

"It’s unusual for anyone to want to leave Manchester United. Cristiano realises that, too. We had a good meeting over in Portugal and clarified a lot of things. He was good, and I was pleased with that. That’s why I was confident that everything was going to be all right.

“As I’ve said, Cristiano will settle down and enjoy his career here. He’s got four years on his contract, and hopefully at some point we would like to extend it. That’s where we are.”

redrus

Ferguson eyes Henry as United misfire

by Steve Griffiths Mon Aug 11, 2:03 AM ET

- Sir Alex Ferguson will step up his bid to sign a new striker ahead of Manchester United's Premier League opener after refusing to rule out a move for Thierry Henry.

Ferguson has been considering a 20 million pounds (25 million euros) bid for Barcelona star Henry and the United manager must be reaching for the cheque-book after his side failed to break down Portsmouth in Sunday's Community Shield at Wembley.

After a tepid goalless draw notable mostly for United's failure to finish the few chances they created, it took a penalty shoot-out for the European champions to win the annual curtain raiser to the English season.

United's lack of cutting edge must concern Ferguson because Cristiano Ronaldo won't be back for several weeks after ankle surgery and Wayne Rooney is still recovering from the virus he contracted during the club's visit to Nigeria, while Louis Saha is struggling with injury as usual.

Ferguson has been keen to sign a forward since the end of last season but a move for Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov - his number one target - has stalled, forcing the Scot to look elsewhere.

Enter Henry, who found it hard to adjust to life at Barca last season and could be persuaded to leave the Nou Camp for Old Trafford.

When asked about reports linking him with the former Arsenal star, Ferguson could have rubbished the story but opted for a deliberately vague response.

"There is a name every day. That is the nature of the business," Ferguson said. "I can't answer it because I've not got a direct answer.

"It's possible we could sign someone this week. We are trying. We've got one or two options we are looking at and hopefully we can get something done before the start of the season.

"It has been pressing since the end of last season. We like to operate with four strikers and we have not been able to do that."

Although Ferguson will hope his strikers are sharper by the time Newcastle arrive at Old Trafford next weekend, he has no such concerns about his defence.

Marshalled superbly by Rio Ferdinand, United never gave Portsmouth's little and large duo of Peter Crouch and Jermain Defoe a chance.

"Rio is now the best centre-half in the world by far," Ferguson said. "That was an exemplary performance. He did not give one foul away and intercepted every ball that came towards him.

"He broke out of defence in comfort so many times it was unbelievable. He is a magnificent player.

"He is 30 now and because he has experience his potential is now being fulfilled in a big way."

With Rooney and Ronaldo out of action it was left to Carlos Tevez to carry United's attack. But at times the Argentine was too fired up and found himself accused of stamping on Portsmouth defender Hermann Hreidarsson.

Hreidarsson, who was grabbed round the throat by Tevez after the clash, said: "I was down and he stamped on me. I thought he could have avoided me, there was no need for it. That was why I reacted and why I grabbed his leg."

After a shocking miss in the first half Darren Fletcher hit the bar with a sublime chip and David James denied Tevez twice before the match went to penalties.

Lassana Diarra blasted Portmouth's first spot-kick over the bar, then Edwin van der Sar saved Arnold Mvuemba's effort with his legs and Glen Johnson shot wide to ensure United got off to a winning start.

Harry Redknapp's FA Cup winners barely registered as an attacking force and assistant Joe Jordan admitted they are still looking for more signings to follow the imminent capture of Tottenham defender Younes Kaboul.

"We came here with just 18 players and we know we are going to need a bigger squad because of the extra demands on the UEFA Cup which is new ground for us," Jordan said.

"It is going to take a lot for players to play Saturday-Thursday-Sunday but we have to be competitive.

"Kaboul should help. He's a been a long-term target of the manager. He's only 22 and is coming to a good place to learn, with Sol Campbell and Sylvain Distin."

redrus

August 11th, 2008

What Do We Expect From Ron? Would You Leave Real For United?

We finally got the clarification we were looking for on Ronaldo’s future last week, following a summer of comments of intent from Real Madrid and Manchester United, as well as vague messages from the player. He is staying.

Now, there’s plenty of time to reflect on our opinions of Ronaldo over the coming season. We’ve spent the past couple of months brewing with frustration, just wanting to know one way or the other what was going to happen. The anger and resentment fans have been feeling over being left out in the dark doesn’t just disappear because Ronaldo says he wants to stick around, however, now that we know he is definitely staying, it doesn’t hurt to see things from his point of view, whether we agree with him or not.

When reading over Ronaldo’s interview with Publico, I was drawn in when he was talking about his ‘dream’. His most overused words in the summer certainly have been his ‘dream’ and what ‘God knows’. So, can we forgive Ronaldo for his dream?

Since Ronaldo joined us in the summer of 2003, we have known the likelihood was he would one day leave us for Spain, whether that be Real Madrid or Barcelona if he fulfilled his potential, or a more average Spanish side if he didn’t. Taking in to consideration his Iberian roots, it just makes sense.

In the interview last week, Ronaldo was asked how he felt about the angry reaction he might receive from the fans when he returns. Whilst saying he hoped he wasn’t booed by us, he was keen to explain his behaviour over the summer.

“People have to understand one thing: at the age of eighteen I arrived at a dream club like Manchester United,” he said. “It was a dream come true. But, even at that moment, I was thinking about playing in England for some years and then going to play in Spain. Even at that time I was thinking that way, and I always gave 100% everything.”

Now, just imagine for a moment you’re a young up-and-coming footballer. Imagine you make your break to the big time with Real Madrid. The fans love you, you are shit hot, you can get all the birds you want, meaning pretty much, your life is perfect. Then you score 42 goals in 47 games one season, with Real Madrid winning La Liga, as well as scoring their only goal in the European Cup final against Villarreal. You lift the trophy and all the (bitter) fans of other clubs in Spain claim that you are the sole reason for Real Madrid’s success. Most people are claiming you’re actually the best player in the World.

You have soaked up every ounce of the limelight and the praise, you love playing in front of the thousands of adoring fans at the Bernabeu, you’ve got the pictures of you lifting the European Cup framed and above the mantelpiece at your mam’s in Manchester, but there’s this nagging feeling. You want to be a Manchester United player. When you first starting kicking the ball around as a young lad, scoring goals between the two jumpers put down as posts on the field, you were doing it imagining you were celebrating in front of the Stretford End.

So, on a daily basis, you hear Manchester United players and representatives saying how great you are and how they want you to come and play for United. Sometimes, they even say that it would be an honour if you went to play for them. Holy fuc_king shit, are you dreaming?

Now, what do you do? You don’t want to piss Real Madrid off, because they’ve been pretty decent to you over the past few years, but you also don’t want United to think you don’t want to know. Your boss goes on holiday and you don’t really know what’s going on. Would it be unreasonable to admit to the press that you dream of playing for United, but that you’ll still be happy and motivated to play for Real Madrid?

“Why lie? I’m not going to be a hypocrite and say the opposite of what I think, like some others do,” continued Ronaldo. “I said exactly what I thought: I have a dream of playing at Real and I thought it was time to move on. People can’t be upset about me fulfilling a childhood dream.”

United fans wanted to know one way or the other, was he leaving or was he staying, but quite simply, Ronaldo didn’t have an answer.

1. Stay completely quiet on the matter, revealing nothing to the press. However, this wouldn’t have satisfied us, because we wanted to know what was going on.

2. Categorically state that he wanted to play for Real Madrid next season and do whatever he could to ensure that happened. However, this isn’t what he wanted. He one day wanted to play in Real, but wasn’t hel_l-bent on leaving this summer.

3. Categorically state that he wanted to stay at United next season and Real Madrid should stop wasting their time. However, whilst the club put on a brave face with the media, claiming the player was not for sale, Ronaldo did not know what United’s intentions were. Don’t forget, David Beckham also ‘wasn’t for sale’ in the weeks leading up to his departure to Real!

So what did Ronaldo do instead? He spoke of what he one day dreamed of achieving, whilst not committing himself too strongly either way. As soon as he was able to resolve the situation with the club he had a contract with, he came out and confirmed that he was staying.

Whilst I have been frustrated with this whole saga, mainly because it has taken attention away from the praise we deserved as a club following last season, to get upset with Ronaldo following the events of the summer is fairly naive. We have been told since day one that he would one day leave us for Spain, but how did we envisage that happening?

If when Ronaldo was 18-years-old someone told me in 5 years time we would have to sell him, but only after he scored 42 goals in a season, including one in the European Cup final, which we would go on to win, I would bite their hand off. Wouldn’t we all? However, now we’re in that situation, we want more and more from him. That is fair enough and I’m not being critical of fans who are angry with Ronaldo, but I do have a sense that we should be grateful for what we’ve got, things which Ronaldo helped us achieve.

I am also grateful for Ronaldo’s honesty. We haven’t been duped like some fans have by their idols. Ronaldo confessions this summer of it being his dream to play for Real Madrid shouldn’t have come as a surprise to us.

Now, this isn’t me kissing Ronaldo’s arse or trying to gloss over my feelings of frustration of the summer. He really brought to life how playing for the club we love isn’t as good as it gets for him, and whilst we may have always been aware of that, we haven’t been forced to recognise it in the way we were this summer. The players we love are typically the players who love playing for United and now Ronaldo has made it perfectly clear that he doesn’t love our club in the way we want him to, then it does bring about distance between him and the fans. We will never be able to have the relationship with him that we have with the likes of Eric Cantona and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who weren’t brought up loving United, but who ended up falling head over heels for it. I have no doubt that unlike last season, where Ronaldo was given the majority of our attention, it’ll be players like Rooney, Tevez and Anderson who get the majority of our songs.

However, once you can accept Ronaldo for what he is, then you can resolve your feelings of frustration and anger. Let’s take one more year of Ronaldo, after being victorious in our battle against Real Madrid, hoping he will score as many goals as possible and help us win as many trophies as we can, then say goodbye.

“I’ll be playing at Manchester United with my heart and soul,” said Ronaldo. “I will fight and honour the shirt with the same desire and dedication as I always have.”

That is all I expect him to do.

Author: Scott the Red Filed Under: Cristiano Ronaldo, Rants

1 Comment

Gabriel Said,

August 11th, 2008 @13:57

True true Scott… the truth is Ronaldo didn’t do anything wrong this summer and even acted more professionally than most other athletes out there. What did he even do wrong this summer?

From his interview and Fergie’s statements, it is obvious Ronaldo wanted to go to Real madrid and Real did attempt to sign him. At this point Ronaldo had not conversed with Fergie yet, and his mind was still set on going to Madrid. If he came out then and publicly declared his interest in moving to Real Madrid, would that not been the equivalent of handing in a transfer request?

He said he thought the money Real offered to pay United was good enough compensation to let him leave as he felt he had won everything here, plus he wanted a new challenge and to be closer to his family, but had he not won the Champions league with us, he wouldn’t have considered it. However, United were still refusing and he was hoping both parties would come to an agreement, but United still said NO. if he had come out then saying he wanted to join Real Madrid, would that not have been an insult to the club, disrespecting his contract and the club’s heirarchy and Fergie in the process?

I believe his silence in the whole saga was justified, as any comment ‘directly’ stating he wanted to join Real madrid would have put United and Fergie in a very tricky position and I’m sure he had more respect for us than that; that is why he wanted everything handled behind the scenes and without Real having an upperhand.

And to prove this guy is more of a man/professional than most other players out there, as soon as he met with Fergie and the decision was made for him to remain in United, he gave an interview, explaining everything and apologising to everyone, even taking the blame for the press’s crazed, obsessive speculation/disregard for our double.

This lad deserves so much more respect than he gets, he is a true professional and the reason most people ‘envy’ him is because he is very confident person, especially in the skills he possesses and is not afraid to let the world know it. When the other fans and tabloids do it, I can understand it’s because of envy, but I reckon ManUtd fans should not be swayed by the media and actually look at this objectively, what has he done wrong this summer? Is it trying to materialise a dream of playing for real madrid and gettin closer to his family(with his father deceased) or is it keeping quiet about the whole situation while negotiations were held as a sign of respect towards ManUtd and Fergie?

redrus