Manchester United

redrus

2/08/2008 12:48

Berbatov Close To United Move

Tottenham Hotspur striker Dimitar Berbatov is said by the London Evening Standard to be close to completing his ‘dream move’ to Manchester United.

According to the Evening Standard, Dimitar Berbatov is close to joining Manchester United for a fee of around £28million.

The newspaper reckons the log-jam could be about to be broken in this long-running saga because Spurs may be close to signing a new striker themselves.

That has made them more receptive to the idea of allowing Berbatov to leave - but only at the highest possible price they can achieve.

That begs the question of who Spurs might be about to sign.

They have been pursuing Zenit St Petersburg forward Andrei Arshavin and Spartak Moscow’s Roman Pavlyuchenko.

Mark Hinton, Goal.com.

redrus

Striker Bid Rejected - Agent

redissue

Tuesday, 12th August 2008

The agent of David Villa has revealed that United had failed in a bid to sign the Valencia striker.

Silva's agent, Julio Llorente, has been quoted as saying that United had tried to sign the 22-year-old Spaniard but Valencia rebuffed their offer.

"Manchester United made an offer for David Silva, but this has been turned down by Valencia," Llorente told Sky Sports.

"Silva doesn't want to play in England because he is happy at Valencia.

"His family are settled and if he was to move it would only be to another Spanish club, like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

"David Silva will start the new season at Valencia."

Fergie Hopeful Of Striker Signing

By Site Editor

Monday, 11th August 2008

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that he is hopeful of signing a new striker before the start of the new Premier League season.

United begin the defence of their Premier League Crown against Newcastle this coming weekend and Fergie is hopeful of having a new forward signed by the time the game takes place.

It's possible I'll sign someone this week," the United boss has said.

"We like to operate with four strikers and we haven't been able to do that.

"We're trying and we're looking at one or two options. Hopefully we'll get something done."

redrus

Terry expresses Utd doubts

By Paul Griffiths - 13/08/2008 00:23

John Terry has spoken to express his doubts about Manchester Utd's ability to retain their Premier League crown in the forthcoming season. Last year, Chelsea finished in second place in the Premier league, two points behind Sir Alex Ferguson's side and were also beaten by them in the Champions League final in Moscow.

Responding to taunts from Utd's Scottish manager, Terry said: "I don't think United have another level to go to. They had a lot of players at the peak of their form for the last two years."

Referring to the Manchester Utd squad, terry said: "Rio Ferdinand has been awesome for the last two years and Cristiano Ronaldo was unbelievable - I don't think you'll see that again."

Terry continued: "Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Ryan Giggs - they have all been fantastic. I think we can close the gap because Man United were at the very top of their game last season."

The Chelsea and England captain added: "But we've been very close to them and we had injuries and a change of manager."

You've got to hear the other side.... :o

redrus

Spurs consider former striker Kanoute as replacement for the departing Bulgarian Berbatov

By Neil Ashton Daily Mail

Juande Ramos is exploring the possibility of bringing former Tottenham striker Fredi Kanoute back to White Hart Lane as he prepares for the departure of Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester United.

Spurs will finally sell Berbatov to Manchester United and Ramos has urged sporting director Damien Comolli to sign the Sevilla striker

Kanoute worked with Ramos when he was in Sevilla and he is among a list of strikers who could replace Berbatov at White Hart Lane.

Stroppy striker to sign for Man Utd ‘within 24 hours’

August 13th, 2008 ·

The Spoiler

Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester Utd

Yesterday evening, The Spoiler correctly predicted that Valencia’s refusal to sell David Silva to Man United would force Sir Alex Ferguson to up his Dimitar Berbatov bid. Reports today suggest that the Red Devils have thrust £28 million in Spurs’ direction. Will Spurs cave in and leave themselves open to ‘feeder club’ jibes again this close to kick-off? The latest whispers suggest Juande Ramos will be desperately trying to fill the gaping Bulgarian-shaped hole in his strikeforce within the next 24 hours.

redrus

Thursday, August 14, 2008

From a Manchester United Blog

Berbatov's arrival will pose Fergie huge selection dilemmas...

On the face of it, the expected arrival of Dimitar Berbatov should be a good thing for United, but with having so little time to bed in with his new team-mates, the manager is facing something of a selection nightmare - especially in the early weeks of the season. Here's why.

United will be without Ronaldo (recoving from injury) and Nani (suspended), so in the flank positions Fergie's options are limited to Giggs, who is the only recognised genuine wide player, alternatively the manager could deploy Tevez on the left as he did in the Champions League Final.

If the situation isn't so bad on the left, the opposite flank is much more of a concern, because the manager must ensure that his team has the right balance when attacking and importantly defending.

While Ronaldo isn't noted for his tackling and tracking back, he strikes fear into the oposition and for this reason there's usually a reluctance on the part of opponents to attack United down the left flank, especially if there's any chance of leaving the door open for a Ronaldo counter raid.

Without Ronaldo on the right, the opposition will try to expose any perceived weekness in United's midfield knowing that there's little danger of being caught out by the pace of the Reds star man.

In order for Fergie to counter any possible threat down United's right flank the manager will expect his front players to drop back into midfield when required. As we have seen on many occasions, while Berbatov has great skill, industry off the ball and general scrapping is not his game - he is no Wayne Rooney.

Given the problems in midfield and the Reds lack of pace on the flanks the manager has much to ponder selection wise; Does he go with a 4:3:3 as in the Champions League Final, or does he start with 4:4:2 and if so should he leave out Berbatov and play Tevez and Rooney as his main strike pairing? But with no recognised pacy winger to select on the right this is by no means an easy choice with Fletcher and Rafael da Silva coming into contention.

A third option would be to deploy 4:4:1:1, using Berbatov as the focal point of the attack with Rooney dropping into midfield when required.

Given the complexities of the variations permutations, my gut feeling is that 4:3:3 is the one which could leave United most vunerable to the counter attack, while at the same it will not carry more of an attacking threat with no obvious pacey candidate for the wide right position.

Here's my two suggested most likely starting formations for United in the early part of the season:

4:4:1:1

.....................................VDS........................................

Neville (or Brown)...........Rio.........Vidic.........Evra

Hargreaves..............Scholes(or Rodrigo)Carrick........Tevez (or Giggs)

(da Silva or Fletcher)

....................................Rooney......................................

...................................Berbatov.....................................

OR 4:4:2

.....................................VDS....................................

Neville (or Brown)...........Rio.........Vidic.........Evra..........

Hargreaves)..............Scholes(or Rodrigo)Carrick........Giggs

(da Silva or Fletcher)

...............................Rooney....Tevez...............................

Either of the above selections should see the Champions winning their opening games, subject to the Berbatov deal actually being agreed and providing both Rooney and Hargreaves are fit, but if Fergie goes with 4:3:3 it could lead to problems with United being vunerable to the counter attack.

Not bad thoughts but, good selection dilemma for most other managers in the PL.... :o

redrus

August 13th, 2008

“I Know Arsenal Are Interested…But I Dream Of United”

Manchester United have been linked to Ghana midfielder Anthony Annan in the press, a long with several other clubs. Like Aaron Ramsey, who recently signed for Arsenal, Annan grew up supporting United. Arsenal have recently requested that the player joins them for training.

The midfielder has been in England undergoing a trial with Blackburn Rovers, however Paul Ince has yet to seal the deal for the player who is tipped to be the next biggest thing out of Africa, following in the footsteps of his national team mate, Michael Essien.

If you need convincing any further, Anann poked John Obi Mikel in the eye during the recent African Cup of Nations, which I’m sure could inspire a jolly chant or two when the rent boys come to town.

After being out muscled from the Essien deal by Chelsea, is now the time for United to dip in to the African market?

“I know that Racing Santander, Blackburn and Arsenal are interested,” said Annan. “I have not heard anything about the United interest myself. I let my agent manage this. United was my favourite club as a child. If I get the chance, it would be a dream for me. I cross my fingers that something will happen in the next days.”

By all accounts, this player is supposed to be pretty special, and at 22-years-old, should have a long career ahead of him. However, in contrast to the barren period around 2005 and 2006, United are now packed to the rafters with talented central midfielders. Paul Scholes is the only one of these who is likely to have said goodbye to his United career in the next couple of years, with Anderson (19), Owen Hargreaves (27) and Michael Carrick (27) all with plenty of time in our shirt.

However, with a transfer fee likely to be around the £1.5 million mark, is it worth us putting in a bid? Or will Arsenal end up with another United fan on their books?

redrus

Thursday, August 14, 2008

From a Manchester United Blog

Berbatov's arrival will pose Fergie huge selection dilemmas...

On the face of it, the expected arrival of Dimitar Berbatov should be a good thing for United, but with having so little time to bed in with his new team-mates, the manager is facing something of a selection nightmare - especially in the early weeks of the season. Here's why.

United will be without Ronaldo (recoving from injury) and Nani (suspended), so in the flank positions Fergie's options are limited to Giggs, who is the only recognised genuine wide player, alternatively the manager could deploy Tevez on the left as he did in the Champions League Final.

If the situation isn't so bad on the left, the opposite flank is much more of a concern, because the manager must ensure that his team has the right balance when attacking and importantly defending.

While Ronaldo isn't noted for his tackling and tracking back, he strikes fear into the oposition and for this reason there's usually a reluctance on the part of opponents to attack United down the left flank, especially if there's any chance of leaving the door open for a Ronaldo counter raid.

Without Ronaldo on the right, the opposition will try to expose any perceived weekness in United's midfield knowing that there's little danger of being caught out by the pace of the Reds star man.

In order for Fergie to counter any possible threat down United's right flank the manager will expect his front players to drop back into midfield when required. As we have seen on many occasions, while Berbatov has great skill, industry off the ball and general scrapping is not his game - he is no Wayne Rooney.

Given the problems in midfield and the Reds lack of pace on the flanks the manager has much to ponder selection wise; Does he go with a 4:3:3 as in the Champions League Final, or does he start with 4:4:2 and if so should he leave out Berbatov and play Tevez and Rooney as his main strike pairing? But with no recognised pacy winger to select on the right this is by no means an easy choice with Fletcher and Rafael da Silva coming into contention.

A third option would be to deploy 4:4:1:1, using Berbatov as the focal point of the attack with Rooney dropping into midfield when required.

Given the complexities of the variations permutations, my gut feeling is that 4:3:3 is the one which could leave United most vunerable to the counter attack, while at the same it will not carry more of an attacking threat with no obvious pacey candidate for the wide right position.

Here's my two suggested most likely starting formations for United in the early part of the season:

4:4:1:1

.....................................VDS........................................

Neville (or Brown)...........Rio.........Vidic.........Evra

Hargreaves..............Scholes(or Rodrigo)Carrick........Tevez (or Giggs)

(da Silva or Fletcher)

....................................Rooney......................................

...................................Berbatov.....................................

OR 4:4:2

.....................................VDS....................................

Neville (or Brown)...........Rio.........Vidic.........Evra..........

Hargreaves)..............Scholes(or Rodrigo)Carrick........Giggs

(da Silva or Fletcher)

...............................Rooney....Tevez...............................

Either of the above selections should see the Champions winning their opening games, subject to the Berbatov deal actually being agreed and providing both Rooney and Hargreaves are fit, but if Fergie goes with 4:3:3 it could lead to problems with United being vunerable to the counter attack.

Not bad thoughts but, good selection dilemma for most other managers in the PL.... :o

redrus

Having Berbatov would be a selection dilemma most Managers would love to have.

He is a class act. Has so much time on the ball ,great vision and a deadly finisher. His height in front of goal will not go astray either.

Without a player of his stature I think Man U will struggle tp produce the heroics of last season

August 16/2008

Written by Soccerlens.

United’s squad numbers for the 2008/09 campaign have been registered with the Premier League and there are some notable inclusions, especially for the younger players.

Newcomers Fabio and Rafael have been handed the number 20 and 21 shirts respectively, while young strikers Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda will wear no.19 and no.41 if and when they are used this term.

Squad Numbers:

1.Van der Sar, 2.Neville, 3.Evra, 4.Hargreaves, 5.Ferdinand, 6.Brown, 7.Ronaldo, 8.Anderson, 9.Saha, 10.Rooney, 11.Giggs, 12.Foster, 13.Park, 15.Vidic, 16.Carrick, 17.Nani, 18.Scholes, 19.Welbeck, 20.Fabio, 21.Rafael, 22.O’Shea, 23.Evans, 24.Fletcher, 26.Manucho, 27.Silvestre, 28.Gibson, 29.Kuszczak, 31.Campbell, 32.Tevez, 33.Hewson, 34.Possebon, 35.Cleverley, 36.Gray, 37.Cathcart, 38.Zieler, 39.Chester, 40.Amos, 41.Macheda

redrus

Fergie responds to Chelsea challenge

16/ 8/2008

UNITED open their bid for a hat-trick of Premier League titles by confidently snatching up the gauntlet thrown down by Chelsea skipper John Terry.

The Stamford Bridge captain got under the Reds' skins this week when he claimed that United do not have a higher gear into which they could shift.

He said: "They have a lot of players in their team who have hit peak form in the last two years."

But with no decline in the Reds' old guard and improvements being made among the younger element in the squad, Sir Alex Ferguson is itching to get his teeth into the task - and his 22nd English league campaign.

The European and Premier League champions are ready to hit the ground running against Kevin Keegan's Newcastle at Old Trafford tomorrow and prove to the Chelsea defender that United have more gears to slip up into.

"That is a challenge for us," says United boss Sir Alex Ferguson. "With the young players we have like Anderson, Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani there is improvement there. Our players have the capacity to improve. So we'll see.

Dinosaurs

"I am optimistic because I see no deterioration. We have to protect the dinosaurs a little bit more - Giggs, Scholes and Gary Neville - but they are fit guys.

"Giggs' endurance tests were the best in the club this summer. Unbelievable. He will play a lot of games for us. He is lucky because he has never carried any weight. He has always looked after himself.

"Scholes and Neville are much the same. There's a lot of football left in them. Edwin van der Sar is the normal van der Sar. He is looking fantastic for his age and he is a great example of how to look after yourself and give yourself extra years. I am expecting a natural progression from the younger ones. It is the same as what I said about Rooney and Ronaldo last season.

"A year ago I was asked if Ronaldo could score more than 23 goals and I replied that I was looking for improvement.

"Improvement can come in different ways for Ronaldo this season. Forty-two goals is a target, it is still possible for him to achieve it given the talent of the boy and his goal-scoring ability but you have to say it's a big target for him.

"Where you will see the improvement is in his authority and decision-making which comes with experience, whichgives you a lot of things, timing especially."

United, of course, will launch their League programme against the Geordies without Ronaldo but he is expected to return to action ahead of schedule.

Recovering

Having sorted his future out following the summer saga with Real Madrid the 23-year-old winger is currently recovering from the ankle surgery he underwent after Euro 2008.

Fergie is expecting to be able to name him again in a United XI and insists there is no hangover from his transfer saga.

"There has been no problem at all," he added. His progress has been great, he has never missed a session, morning or afternoon.

"He has been doing excellent. He is well ahead of schedule."

United have Owen Hargreaves, Louis Saha, Ji-sung Park as well as Ronaldo absent through injury.

Nani is suspended for two matches as a result of his red card against West Ham last May and Anderson is away in Beijing with Brazil at the Olympic Games.

What do you think? Have your say.

redrus

Edited by redrus

Man Utd v Newcastle

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will spearhead their attack as they begin the defence of their title.

He has recovered from a virus, but Nani is suspended and Cristiano Ronaldo injured, so Michael Carrick may start.

Newcastle have included new Argentine defender Fabricio Coloccini, but Joey Barton has not been considered.

Skipper Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Andy Carroll are all injured and Shola Ameobi is talking to Ipswich, but Obafemi Martins is set to feature.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, R Da Silva, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Evans, Evra, Silvestre, F Da Silva, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson, Possebon, Giggs, Martin, Tevez, Rooney, Campbell.

Newcastle (from): Given, Beye, N'Zogbia, Taylor, Coloccini, Enrique, Cacapa, Bassong, Edgar, Butt, Geremi, Milner, Duff, Guthrie, Gutierrez, Martins, Smith, Edgar, Harper.

Sir Alex Ferguson on speculation Manchester United are poised to sign Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov:

"I cannot give you an answer because there isn't one.

"We have been trying to add to the squad but nothing has changed, I have nothing else to say.

"You might be surprised at what is going to happen over the next two days.

"The challenge is for us to improve.

"You would think with young players like Anderson, Ronaldo, Rooney and Nani we have the capacity to do that.

"There is no doubt this team will win championships long after I have left. There is a good foundation here now."

Newcastle's new signing Jonas Gutierrez on fellow Argentine Carlos Tevez:

"I am friends with Carlos and we will talk before the game.

"He's very good and our defenders will have to pay a lot of attention, because he can score a goal at any moment.

"There are many good players in the United team but Carlos is playing very well and had a great season last time."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Manchester United begin the challenge for a record 11th Premier League title. A second hat-trick of such titles would see Sir Alex Ferguson's Red Devils crowned champions of England for the 18th time, and put them on a par with Liverpool's 18-year-old record.

Newcastle last won the league championship in 1927, and have not claimed a major piece of silverware for 39 years, since the European Fairs Cup in 1969.

Manchester United ran riot against Newcastle last season. Cristiano Ronaldo scored his first hat-trick for the club as they won this corresponding fixture 6-0, three days after the Magpies had parted company with Sam Allardyce, and four days before the arrival of Kevin Keegan.

The Red Devils went on to complete the 'double' over the Magpies with an 11-1 aggregate.

Distance between clubs: 152.9 miles (246 kilometres)

CLUB FORM

MANCHESTER UNITED

Club stats

Fixtures

2007-08 Premier League performance

Last season's finishing position: 1st, two points clear

1. One of 10 founder members of the Premier League competing this season.

2. One of seven ever-presents competing in their 17th Premier League campaign. The others are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool and Tottenham.

3. Never finished outside the Premier League's top three.

4. Last week's Community Shield was the 30th piece of silverware United have claimed in the tenure of Sir Alex Ferguson, which this season moves into its 23rd year.

5. Starting the Premier League campaign at home for the third season running.

6. Held at home to a goalless draw by Reading on the opening day 12 months ago, and failed to win their first three matches, before building an eight-match winning sequence.

7. Lost on the opening day only once in 12 years; that being 1-0, away to Chelsea on 15 August 2004, which was Jose Mourinho's first match in charge of the Blues.

8. Challenging for a sixth successive home league win. Not dropped a point at Old Trafford since the 1-2 loss to Manchester City on 10 February.

9. Not brought in any players during the close season.

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Club stats

Fixtures

2007-08 Premier League performance

Last season's finishing position: 12th

1. This is their 79th season in the top tier, but only their 16th in succession.

2. Twice Premier League runners-up, in 1995-96 and 1996-97, but outside the top 11 for the last two seasons, and only managed one top-half finish in the last four years.

3. Gained 43 points last season, equalling their lowest ever tally in this league of the year before.

4. Average Premier League finish: 8th (7.93)

5. Beat Wigan and Bolton respectively in their last two opening fixtures in the Premier League seasons.

6. Won 25% of their league games in Keegan's current spell (four of 16).

MANCHESTER UNITED

Ins and Outs

Cristiano RONALDO was Manchester United's top scorer last season with 42 goals.

The Portuguese also won the Barclays Golden Boot as the Premier League' top marksman with 31. He is one of only five different players to score 30 or more goals in a Premier League campaign.

If selected:-

Goalkeeper Edwin VAN DER SAR will be making his 100th Premier League appearance for Manchester United.

Mikael SILVESTRE will be making his 250th Premier League appearance for Manchester United.

If on the field from the outset:-

Gary NEVILLE will be making his 350th Premier League start for Manchester United.

Michael CARRICK will be making his 250th career league start (West Ham, Swindon, Birmingham, Tottenham and Manchester United).

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Ins and Outs

Michael OWEN was Newcastle's top scorer last season with 13 goals, and leading Premier League marksman with 11.

Alan SMITH will be facing former colleagues. The 27 year old England international forward made 93 appearances (61 in the league) and scored 12 goals (seven league) for the Red Devils between May 2004 and his move to Newcastle in August 2007.

HEAD TO HEAD

Manchester United are vying for a fifth successive home league win over Newcastle.

The Magpies have never won a Premier League match at Old Trafford. Their last maximum there was 36 years ago; a 0-2 top-flight triumph on 12 February 1972.

The Toon have not celebrated a victory against the champions in 13 Premier League meetings, since an odd goal in seven victory at St James' Park on 15 September 2001.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Man United 68 wins, Newcastle 38, Draws 34

Prem: Man United 18 wins, Newcastle 3, Draws 9

at Man Utd only

League (inc PL): Man United 43 wins, Newcastle 9, Draws 18

Prem: Man United 10 wins, Newcastle 0, Draws 5

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Manchester United 6-0 Newcastle United

12 January 2008 - Ref: Rob Styles

Man Utd scorers: Ronaldo 49, Tevez 55, Ronaldo 70, Ferdinand 85, Ronaldo 88, Tevez 90

Sent Off: Smith (Newcastle) 90

REFEREE

Mike Riley (Leeds, Yorkshire)

redrus

You won't win the league with kids...............................

06/08/2008 09:30, Report by Adam Bostock post-16343-1218891133_thumb.jpg

Meet the da Silva twins

The surprise first appearances of Fabio da Silva and Rafael da Silva in United's pre season friendly at Peterborough on Monday 4 August has left fans wanting to know more about the boys from Brazil.

How old are they?

The twin brothers turned 18 last month, a milestone which enabled the club to gain clearance for the pair to play. For the record, they were born on 9 July 1990 in Petropolis, Rio de Janeiro - the spiritual home of Brazilian football.

What positions do they play in?

They are primarily full-backs - Rafael on the right, Fabio on the left. But the attacking ability and desire they demonstrated against Peterborough suggests that, like Patrice Evra, they would be equally adept at wide midfield.

Who did they play for previously?

The da Silva twins joined United from Fluminense, one of the four main football clubs in Rio (the others being Botafogo, Flamengo and Vasco da Gama). Legendary Fluminense players include the late Tele Santana, who went on to manage Brazil's World Cup squads of 1982 and 1986.

How did United find them?

The brothers were spotted by Les Kershaw, then Academy Manager, in the summer of 2005 while playing for Fluminense in a Hong Kong youth tournament.

Have they played for Brazil?

Fabio captained and top-scored in the Under-17 World Cup finals in Korea. Rafael also impressed during the same competition in which Brazil were unfortunate to bow out at the last 16 stage. FIFA.com's report on their final game against Ghana says "Brazil's calm and intricate build-up play was impressive to behold as the imperious Fabio pulled the strings."

How does Sir Alex rate them?

"I think they're both excellent footballers, I really do. They've got great enthusiasm and desire to play the game. It's a typical Brazilian situation, they just love playing. They're quick and they're determined.

"What we don't know is their game appreciation because they haven't played for a year. Their old club Fluminense didn't play them because they were joining us. Then they joined us in January (2008) but it was too late for the work permit application.

"Their 18th birthday meant we could apply through international clearance which we got only a couple of days ago. We're all delighted for the kids because they've worked so hard in training, they never miss a session and I'm really hopeful they'll do well."

The new boys from Brazil

Fabio da Silva (above left)

Born: 9 July 1990, Rio de Janeiro

Former club: Fluminense

Position: Left back / left midfield

Rafael da Silva (above right)

Born: 9 July 1990, Rio de Janeiro

Former club: Fluminense

Position: Right back / right midfield

I like it, I like it a lot....! * Lets just hope they're better than the Djemba twins.... :o

redrus

Edited by redrus

After the dissapointing draw, some good news........... :o

Manchester United man set for SURPRISE move!

Manchester City are reportedly looking to raid their arch-rivals for a very useful, albeit ageing, defender!

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is lining up a move for Mikael Silvestre.

Frenchman Silvestre has been told he can leave Manchester United and is being offered to Premier League clubs, with a move across the city his No.1 choice.

Hotline understands United are willing to let the defender go in a cut-price £750,000 deal.

Silvestre has been at Old Trafford for nine years, but he has fallen out of favour with Sir Alex Ferguson.

And the fact the 40-cap left-back can double as a centre-half appeals to Hughes. (The People)

This is an interesting development indeed and one that may or may not be what the Eastlands fans were looking for from their new boss. There is no doubt that the Frenchman has been a top-quality player but is he now past it? He could well be a bargain capture but after a long injury lay-off it could be a brave move to make. Sunderland are also said to be keen on signing the former Inter man. How would City fans feel about such a move? Do United fans think that Sir Alex should hold on to the player?

redrus

excellent point there from those plucky barcodes. manyoo missing their effete portuguese matchwinner more than anticipated?

'erm, Excuse me, we were also missing Teves, Nani, Hargraves, Anderson, Park. Carrick went off with a swollen ankle and Giggs pulled a ham-string.

Young Frazer impressed in the 1st half, Fletcher was hot & cold, and for me Scholes once again, man of the match.

I thought Evra was probably Uniteds best player overall.Fletcher and Campbell did well in the first half.

Rooney was disappointing,in particular,but maybe hes not fully over that virus he picked up in Nigeria.

Silvestre for Man City.....they are desperately short of strikers so maybe they could take Saha as well ? :o

'erm, Excuse me, we were also missing Teves, Nani, Hargraves, Anderson, Park. Carrick went off with a swollen ankle and Giggs pulled a ham-string.

Young Frazer impressed in the 1st half, Fletcher was hot & cold, and for me Scholes once again, man of the match.

whoa there hoss, all i said was it was a good point for the barcodes. who were also missing major players in the forms of owen, viduka and the lunatic barton.

so, what was that mosaic all about then? sponsored by nike and saying "More Goals Now Please"? how small time is that? :o

After the dissapointing draw, some good news........... :o

Manchester United man set for SURPRISE move!

Manchester City are reportedly looking to raid their arch-rivals for a very useful, albeit ageing, defender!

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is lining up a move for Mikael Silvestre.

Frenchman Silvestre has been told he can leave Manchester United and is being offered to Premier League clubs, with a move across the city his No.1 choice.

Hotline understands United are willing to let the defender go in a cut-price £750,000 deal.

Silvestre has been at Old Trafford for nine years, but he has fallen out of favour with Sir Alex Ferguson.

And the fact the 40-cap left-back can double as a centre-half appeals to Hughes. (The People)

This is an interesting development indeed and one that may or may not be what the Eastlands fans were looking for from their new boss. There is no doubt that the Frenchman has been a top-quality player but is he now past it? He could well be a bargain capture but after a long injury lay-off it could be a brave move to make. Sunderland are also said to be keen on signing the former Inter man. How would City fans feel about such a move? Do United fans think that Sir Alex should hold on to the player?

Jonny Evans is being groomed for a place in the back four if there are any injuries so maybe its time for Mikael to go. Having said that he has been a loyal and deciated player and he will miss out on his testimonial. That may seem a liitle unfair to some.

redrus

Man Utd fans give Ronaldo rousing welcome back

tribalfootball.com - August 18, 2008

Manchester United fans gave Cristiano Ronaldo a rousing 'welcome back' at Old Trafford yesterday.

Sport says Ronaldo, recovering from his ankle surgery, took his seat behind the United dugout and was greeted warmly by fans - so ending any doubts over how he would be treated after the summer's courting by Real Madrid.

The Portuguese also showed his passion for his teammates when he leapt to his feet after Darren Fletcher managed an equaliser in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Newcastle.

Berbatov Should Have Dreamed About United In 2006

Dimitar Berbatov pleaded Spurs to allow him fulfil his dream.

Our protracted chase for the Bulgarian has been all over the media yet it seems we are no nearer to an agreement than we were in June. The clubs, amazingly, still could not agree a fee while we are woefully short on attacking options for various reasons.

Berbatov is getting impatient, it's clear: he broke his silence and told Spurs through the press to allow him to fulfil his dream of joining United. It should be good news but I feel a little bitterness about it.

Because it is Dimitar Berbatov's fault. If it's a dream for him to play for Manchester United, then why didn't he seize the opportunity to sign for the club in 2006 when we were looking for a replacement for Ruud van Nistelrooy? Perhaps he's not as confident as he's pictured to be?

But of course it does not matter now. What matters is to seal this signing before Friday so that we can register him with the Premier League in order to be able to field him at Fratton Park. That's the most important now, not the past.

redrus

Manchester United challenge Lyon for €3million French Star

Manchester United are reportedly ready to rival Lyon for French starlet Thimothee Kolodzieczak, who is currently at Lens.

The 16-year-old looks set to depart the Northern French side with a big battle now on to land him.

The left-back has been offered a five-year contract to remain at the Felix Bollaert, but it seems he could be prised away before making his first-team debut.

Lens are asking €3million for the player, who is already part of the French Under-18 squad.

However, Lyon are only offering €1million and the two clubs are continuing to talk, although the French champions say they will not pay over the odds.

“Regarding a possible newcomer on the left to support Fabio Grosso, we are looking at the youngster at Lens, but Lens are being too greedy,” Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas told the club’s official website.

“If their position is not changed within 48 hours, then Claude Puel (coach) will guide us towards another player of a very high level.”

Reports in France suggest that United are also interested in Kolodzieczak and could put together a package to take him across the Channel.

redrus

August 18th, 2008

Glory glory Man United - Any wonder we have glory fans?

The sun was shining as we left Old Trafford yesterday, but the usual chants of us being Champions that have filled the tunnels under the ground upon exit were missing. We weren’t a happy bunch of fans.

Walking out under the Sir Matt Busby statue, the two opposing sets of fans began to mingle. The usual families weaved their way through the crowd, whilst a few mental Newcastle fans, with their shirts off, started mouthing off. They were very excited you see, picking up a point at Old Trafford.

Some United fans, not showing their colours, started mouthing back at the geordie lot, talking about their ‘cup final’ and prick for a manager. These were Manchester lads, their accents clear proof of this.

“fuc_k off you glory supporting cun_ts,” one shirtless geordie shouted, before getting a slight dig in the ribs. There was no trouble, the mouthy geordie made his way through the crowds whilst the angry group of Manc lads just watched him, not saying anything more.

United have more than their fair share of ‘glory fans’, it tends to be the result of any team immersing themselves in glory and success, but what is your opinion of them.

My opinion of ‘glory fans’ has changed over the years. Whilst I have no time for people who chop and change clubs, opting to ’support’ whichever team is at the top, I do have more team who support United from afar. My local team happens to be one of the most successful and biggest in the World, so am I in a position to tell people from Scunthorpe they have to support their local League 1 side? I don’t think so.

My mate was after a ticket for the Liverpool match last season, so showed up at Old Trafford the day before trying to see what he could find. No tickets available and no touts in site, but his blood was boiling when he saw a coach load of Americans pull up, all buzzing with excitement about tomorrow’s match.

Now my mate is a local lad, followed United all his life, and he couldn’t get his head around how 50 or so Yanks were getting tickets for the biggest game of the season, and he got nothing. There’s a big part of me that agrees with this, the local fans, whose family have been reds for generations, should not be forced out of the ground.

However, that doesn’t mean I believe there isn’t a place for people from outside Manchester supporting our team. The Cockney Reds, for example, have been following United up and down the country for decades. Can a 12-year-old Manchester lad claim these southerners aren’t ‘proper’ United fans?

People from all over the World started following United after hearing about the Munich Air Disaster, or once they’d seen the likes of George Best and Sir Bobby Charlton play. 50 years of loyal support later, can we claim they aren’t proper United fans because they’re not from Manchester?

redrus

I want to leave, says Berbatov

Monday, 18 August 2008

Dimitar Berbatov has declared that he wants to leave Tottenham which could see him finally make a £25 million move to Manchester United.

It may not have gone on all summer like Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Real Madrid which didn’t happen or Gareth Barry’s proposed switch from Aston Villa to Liverpool, but the Berbatov to United story is now reaching saga proportions.

That may come to an end though with a new twist, courtesy of the Bulgarian who until yesterday had kept quiet.

The striker’s position at Tottenham looks increasingly untenable though after he asked to be given the chance to "follow my dream".

The 27-year-old did not allude to Sir Alex Ferguson's side by name but with the Red Devils believed to be inching ever closer to agreeing a fee for him, the implications of his words are clear.

"I'm now in Tottenham but no one can disagree with me wanting to follow my dream," he said ahead of his country's midweek friendly with Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Ferguson has not made a formal offer for the player since seeing a first bid of £20.5million turned down but with Ronaldo out injured and Carlos Tevez missing due to a bereavement, United's shortcomings up front were laid bare against Newcastle in yesterday's 1-1 draw.

That means Tottenham's hand is as strong as it has been since negotiations began and a deal now looks certain to be completed before the end of the month.

Emil Dantchev, Berbatov’s agent, said: "We have two more weeks until the end of the transfer window and I think this will be the most important week.

“ I read Alex Ferguson's statement that he wants another striker and I hope that this striker is Dimitar Berbatov."

The player himself, meanwhile, has already started steeping himself in United folklore after he took his demotion to the bench with noticeable frustration.

"If I had been laughing when I was on the bench, people would say I was an idiot," he said.

"Eric Cantona never smiled, but I don't know if anyone ever asked him why he didn't look happier."

United could certainly have done with Berbatov or Cantona yesterday as they struggled to break down Kevin Keegan’ s side.

Obafemi Martins opened the scoring in the first half for the Geordies before Darren Fletcher equalised minutes later at Old Traffford.

The home side had chances to win but they were denied by an inspired Newcastle goalkeeper, Shay Given.

In contrast Luiz Felipe Scolari’s Chelsea strolled to a 4-0 home win over Portsmouth with Joe Cole, Nicoals Anelka, Frank Lampard (penalty) and new signing Deco on target.

In yesterday’s other Premier League game Martin O’Neill’s Aston Villa beat Manchester City 4-2.

redrus

Wayne Rooney’s jaw broken at Stereophonics concert

August 18th, 2008 The Spoiler

Manchester Utd star suffered for attempting to steal tour merchandise....!

Over the last weekend, the greatest popular music artists in the world (and Scouting for Girls) assembled for the annual V Festival. Most notable among the celebrity fans was Coleen McLoughglin/ Rooney, who was spotted pulling on her Hunter wellies to enjoy the Stereophonics.

The Welsh rockers, of course, are Wayne Rooney’s favourite band: his classy tattoo and the fact that they played at his wedding are testament to this fact.

During a live TV interview with cockney Channel Four presenter (and avid Charlton fan) Dave Berry, girly-named singer Kelly Jones revealed that Rooney has been going to see the band in concert since for many years. The tiny Welshman also let slip that at the tender age of thirteen, Rooney had his jaw broken by a member of the Stereophonics entourage for attempting to steal a T-Shirt.

On a slightly more diplomatic note, when asked for his thoughts on Wayne’s hideous ‘JEEP’ tattoo, the Welsh rocker paused and said: “It looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in the papers”.

Did I get ya....? :o

redrus

Aug 19th 2008

Transfer deadline extended - more time For Berbatov, Barry and the rest

The Premier League has confirmed the first transfer deadline of the season has been extended until 1 September.

The window is scheduled to close 24 hours earlier but, following normal league guidelines, it has been put back because August 31 falls on a Sunday.

The move has been agreed between the Premier League, Football League and Football Association.

Once the deadline passes, teams will then have to wait until January 2009 to sign players from other clubs.

Next Soccer Star

redrus

Arsenal swoop for Manchester United ace, as Manchester City and Sunderland look on.

Should Fergie sell to arch rival Wenger?

YES....!

With Mark Hughes and Roy Keane already showing interest in Man Utd and France defender Mikel Silvestre, Arsene Wenger has joined the race to sign his fellow countryman. Although Wenger wanted Beckham when he left Old Trafford and Fergie wanted Vieira when he left Highbury, it's interesting to note that the bitter rivals have never before traded players in the 12 years they have been in opposition in the Premier League.

Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre was last night on the verge of an astonishing move to bitter rivals Arsenal.

The 31-year-old France international had appeared to be on his way to Manchester City or Sunderland. But Sportsmail can reveal that Arsenal came in with a late offer to tempt Silvestre into one of the summer's most unexpected transfers.

Sources close to the player revealed last night that the 31-year-old had been won over by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, one of his home country's most revered coaches, and the promise of Champions League football at the Emirates.

Arsenal will expect to pay United around £750,000 for a player who moved to Old Trafford from Inter Milan in the 1998-99 season and will offer him £50,000-a-week.

Wenger wants to integrate Silvestre into a defensive unit that already contains Frenchmen Gael Clichy and William Gallas. The arrival of Silvestre — if the transfer goes through — would also probably spell the end for Arsenal's unreliable Switzerland centre back Philippe Senderos. (THE DAILY MAIL)

Would the signing of a Man Utd cast off send out the wrong signals from Arsenal? Considering they were named as one of the richest clubs in Europe, why on earth won't Arsene Wenger go out and spend £15m plus on a top class defender?

And in Berba News Today....

SPURS TALK: Berbatov's 'dream' move to United hangs in the balance

3:03pm Wednesday 20th August 2008

DIMITAR Berbatov's dream move to Manchester United looks to be in jeopardy with Spurs refusing to budge from their £30million asking price.

The 27-year-old has made it clear he wants to complete a switch to Old Trafford and handed a transfer request in last week.

However, the Red Devils are reluctant to stump up the cash to meet Tottenham's valuation of the player. They previously had a £20million bid rejected.

Now United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to be turning his attention to a cheaper option elsewhere, with Dutch strike ace Klaas-Jan Huntelaar top of his list.

Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz, Lyon's Karim Benzema and ex-Arsenal forward Thierry Henry have also been linked with the Premier League and European champions this summer.

Manchester United look elsewhere as Berbatov deal stalls

Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Tottenham are still refusing to compromise on their £30m valuation of Dimitar Berbatov, prompting Manchester United to look elsewhere according to reports.

Berbatov has made it clear that he wishes to move to Old Trafford, calling it his "dream move". He handed in a formal transfer request last Friday. But Tottenham will not budge on their valuation and Manchester United have refused to meet their figure.

A report in El Mundo Deportivo claims United have sounded out Ajax about the availability of striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. It is thought that he would be available at a cheaper price than Berbatov.

The Dutch international, 24, said earlier in the summer: "It's a club (Manchester United) that makes me dream, especially as Ruud van Nistelrooy played there and did great things with them."

Ferguson's options as he attempts to bolster his strike force appear to narrowing. Reports last week suggested David Silva had turned down a move to the European champions - opting to stay at Valencia. United were also linked with Blackburn forward Roque Santa Cruz but Rovers boss Paul Ince seems to have done enough to hold on to his star striker. Karim Benzema was another name linked with Old Trafford but has since signed an extension to his contract with Lyon.

There were also reports that United were interested in signing the former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry.

Alex Ferguson will be desperate to bolster his front line as soon as possible following their scoreless draw with Portsmouth in the Community Shield and their opening day draw at home to Newcastle.

redrus

FootyMAD's Portsmouth match preview

By Footymad

Sunday, 24th August 2008

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Portsmouth take on Manchester United in a Premier League match on Monday, 25th August 2008 at 20:00.

Footymad preview

History of the Portsmouth v Manchester United fixture

Man. Utd. face a trip to Portsmouth at Fratton Park on Monday evening, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 32 games played, Red Devils have recorded 9 wins, and Portsmouth have come away with 12 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was just last season, in August 2007, where the two sides shared the spoils courtesy of a 1 - 1 final scoreline in a Premier League match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, click here

Recent encounters between the teams:

2008/2009 Sun 10 Aug Man. Utd. 0 - 0 Portsmouth SHLD

2007/2008 Sat 08 Mar Man. Utd. 0 - 1 Portsmouth FAC

2007/2008 Wed 30 Jan Man. Utd. 2 - 0 Portsmouth PREM

2007/2008 Wed 15 Aug Portsmouth 1 - 1 Man. Utd. PREM

2006/2007 Sat 07 Apr Portsmouth 2 - 1 Man. Utd. PREM

2006/2007 Sat 27 Jan Man. Utd. 2 - 1 Portsmouth FAC

2006/2007 Sat 04 Nov Man. Utd. 3 - 0 Portsmouth PREM

Recent respective form guides

Portsmouth have only performed averagely at home, winning 3 and losing 2 of their last six. A total of 8 goals have been scored by the Pompey in those games, with 4 conceded.

Man. Utd. have an average recent record on the road, collecting 2 wins and 3 draws from the last six. The games have constituted a decent return of 8 goals for the Red Devils, and 3 goals against.

Portsmouth find themselves stuck right at the bottom of the division. Their 1 games have yielded only 0 points. Man. Utd. find themselves struggling down in 14th position in the league having picked up 1 points from their 1 matches.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, click here

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Portsmouth 6 1 1 4 1 8 4

Man. Utd. 6 3 3 0 9 3 12

FootyMad's prediction ...

Man. Utd. are in reasonable form away from home coming into this match, and the Madmen are quite confident that they should come away with a comfortable victory from this contest. Away win

Sequence statistics:

Portsmouth 4 games since last home draw.

Not won in the 2 most recent games.

Man. Utd. Drawn each of the last 3 games.

No win in the 3 most recent games.

redrus

Berbatov: Tottenham And United’s Avoidable Own Goal…

August 25, 2008

Berbatov: Finally On His Way To United

After weeks of bitter to-ing and fro-ing, United reportedly submitted a final bid in the region of

£25 million on Saturday - an increase of around four and a half million from their previous bid.

Whilst United fans can be happy that the summer’s machinations have yielded this one headline signing, the Spurs board and manager have a major headache to contend with.

Tottenham suffered a second defeat in as many matches at home to Boro on Saturday and whilst the reasons for that defeat may have had more to do with defensive-midfield frailties, they were not helped by the lack of proven goalscorers up front.

Berbatov had sulked himself into such a state of mental agitation that Ramos and Poyet deemed him unfit to play and as a result Darren Bent was the only experienced striker available. Whilst Bent had a remarkably prolific pre-season, as yet he has failed to rediscover his scoring touch when it matters.

Our gain of Berbatov is very much Spurs’ loss, but it would be difficult not to sympathise with their predicament.

It is reasonable, although not always pleasant, for clubs to dispense with players who want away. Reasonable when the overall strength of the squad means the loss of that player doesn’t cause too much disruption. However, Spurs have already lost Defoe and Keane this year already and the departure of Berbatov leaves them at least two attacking players down with less than a week of the transfer window left.

Momentarily removing our red-tinted glasses we can understand precisely why Levy has stuck to his guns over the transfer of Berbatov - stuck to his guns in the sense of insisting on the right price for the player, not contesting his eventual move per se.

Where he could perhaps have done better, Tottenham fans might argue, is in cueing up a replacement for Berbatov as soon as it became apparent that he was going to leave. The realisation that it was highly like he would leave must have come at least one month ago - so where is the replacement striker/s for Tottenham?

In final analysis, both United and Spurs have player a very poor strategic game over Berbatov.

United should have realised weeks back that Levy’s FA dossier was designed to do nothing more than convince them that he was serious on his fee demands for Berbatov. As it is, United will end up paying precisely the same figure that back then would have wrapped up the deal in time for the start of the season.

Spurs on the other hand should have appraised the situation from United’s perspective - it was manifestly clear Berbatov was the only serious target and United would buckle at some point. Knowing that they should have lined up replacements in good time and not left themselves sweating over the fast approaching deadline date with no points garnered.

redrus

Six reasons Manchester Utd won’t beat Portsmouth

August 23rd, 2008 · 19 Comments

The Spoiler

If you were one of the lucky few to witness the Community Shield, you’ll probably be hesitant to park yourself in front of the TV for this one. There’s no promise of goals, but it’s always fun watching Fergie descend into an angry rage as his team struggle to take anything away from the fortress/dilapidated shed that is Fratton Park. Everything points to a disappointing Bank Holiday weekend for the reigning champions. Here’s why…

1. Manchester United have only won one of their last five league visits to Fratton Park, losing on three occasions and drawing once.

2. Ferguson’s men have failed to score in their last two meetings with Portsmouth, losing 1-0 in the FA Cup and playing out a 0-0 draw in the Community Shield.

3. United began last season with a home draw, before securing a point at Portsmouth in their second league contest. Ferguson’s men drew at home on the opening day of this campaign.

4. In the previous two seasons, Pompey have won two, drawn five and lost just one of their eight league contests with the top four clubs at Fratton Park.

5. chickendinner superfact: While Cristiano Ronaldo only missed four Premier League games last season, Manchester United lost twice and scored just twice in his absence. Ronaldo will be on the sidelines until at least September.

6. Only once in their previous ten campaigns have Portsmouth lost both of their first two league fixtures. Portsmouth lost 4-0 at Stamford Bridge on the opening day this season.

Some more terribly useful betting information…

» The last four league and cup meetings between the sides produced a total of just four goals, each of which saw fewer than 2.5 goals.

» Manchester United have lead at half time in six of their last seven league encounters with Portsmouth.

» Jermain Defoe scored eight times in twelve games for Portsmouth last season, netting the first goal on four occasions. The diminutive striker has scored three career goals against United.

Posted: August 23rd, 2008 by Ryan Bailey

Next/Previous stories:

Previous blog post Video: 20-year-old David Beckham playing for Preston North End

19 responses so far

1 reddevil // Aug 24, 2008 at 4:56 pm

chickendinner superfact: While Cristiano Ronaldo only missed four Premier League games last season, Manchester United lost twice and scored just twice in his absence. Ronaldo will be on the sidelines until at least September.

^^ the above is totally wrong, last season he missed 4 games and we won 3…scoring 5 goals and conceding only 1

2 David // Aug 24, 2008 at 5:05 pm

6 reasons this, 10 reasons that. You don’t know shit, your articles are pathetic.

3 mong // Aug 24, 2008 at 5:50 pm

very keen on football eh - very keen on affiliate marketing for betting sites more like.

too many sites like this shoite….

4 hammersatboleyn // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:06 pm

reddevil, I think you’ll find Ronaldo missed United’s 1-0 defeats at City and at Bolton. The other two games were 1-0 home wins over Tottenham and Sunderland. I make that four games, two defeats and just two goals scored!!!

And yeah, I’m really gutted that Spoiler told me that Chelsea would win, score the first goal and there would be fewer than 2.5 goals.

5 michael bihon // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:39 pm

But the reality is in the reverse way Manutd win 2 - 0 the portsmouth

6 yemane dinkayehu // Aug 24, 2008 at 6:52 pm

It will not stay the same way for pompe, it will be night mare to beat united this seasons

7 Pompey dude // Aug 24, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Pompey will murder the fookin United tomorrow, and send the glory boy fans home to where ever they live heads in hands……PLAY UP POMPEY, POMPEY PLAY UP!!!!!!!!!!!

8 reddevil // Aug 24, 2008 at 8:12 pm

hammersatboleyn, well you are half true

we beat fulham 3-0 without Ronaldo :o beat Tottenham 1-0 and Everton 1-0 without Ronaldo :D thats 3 wins…..i thought he played at bolton if not then thats 5 games, 3 wins and 4 goals

9 reddevil // Aug 24, 2008 at 8:15 pm

*sorry we beat sunderland 1-0 not everton

10 hammersatboleyn // Aug 24, 2008 at 8:58 pm

reddevil, Ronaldo was involved at Fulham, he came on in the 69th minute. So, I think we can now agree that in the four league games last season that Ronaldo did not appear at all, United lost two and scored just twice.

I’m going for United at half time and a draw at full time.

11 Me-who-Judge // Aug 24, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Manchester United will win tomorrow!It is so clear in my vision!!woott woot yay!

12 Papaey // Aug 25, 2008 at 8:11 am

I’ll go for 1x big stakes!!! United wont win tonight, it is so clear…

13 RedbyDawn // Aug 25, 2008 at 10:37 am

“send the glory boy fans home to where ever they live heads in hands”

That’ll be Surrey mate.

14 Troutman // Aug 25, 2008 at 10:53 am

We beat them at Old Trafford in FA Cup , got a 0-0 at Wembley , the Surrey fans wont have far to travel home BUT it will be EMPTY HANDED,unless of course the nick anything while their on the day out at the seaside.

15 Chris // Aug 25, 2008 at 1:26 pm

These stats are all very well, but more important is the fact that Portsmouth just aren’t playing well at the moment and United will have both Tevez and a now match-fit Rooney up front, so they should score. United to win.

16 Troutman // Aug 25, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Chris , We have only played one game so far and that against the Premier League Champions Elect,did you win your 1st game of the 2008/2009 season ????????????????????????.

17 Chris // Aug 25, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Well we’ll know who’s right in a few hours time…

18 6000 // Aug 25, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Too tight to call. Man U aren’t great without their big names, Pompey aren’t great…

0-0. Again?

19 Red0rDed // Aug 25, 2008 at 3:28 pm

One reason United WILL beat Portsmouth - they will score more times in the match than Portsmouth will, and that will matter more than all this statistical drivel that you’re spouting, dumbass

I'm think 1-1, its not a good time for us at the mo but, these times have to be ridden and its better to have the blip now as it was last season....

redrus

Edited by redrus