Manchester United

redrus

46 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

For you Mancunians, you need to buy yourselves a copy of Gary James 'Manchester: A Football History - The Story of City, United, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stalybridge, Stockport and More' to learn about ALL the clubs in Manchester area as some of you seem to know bugger all about City pre-2008 and it's a seriously good book.

I'd always understood that pre-WW2 City were the bigger Manchester club, post-WW2 United are the bigger Manchester club. I'd read this (in the book above and others) and was told this by my old man and my granddad. So I did a quick look at the respective league positions and average attendances of City and ManU (and Liverpool) based on the details at http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/manc.htm etc., as a basis means of showing club size relative to others, which showed: 

• pre-WW2, City finished above united in 29 of 43 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 35 of 43 seasons - City bigger crowds AND in the league out performed United pre-WW2
  • pre-WW2, City finished above Liverpool in 16 of 42 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 29 of 42 seasons - City bigger crowds but in the league Liverpool out performed City pre-WW2
  • pre-WW2, United finished above Liverpool in 8 of 42 seasons and united had bigger average attendance in 12 of 42 seasons - United smaller crowds and in the league were out performed by Liverpool pre-WW2

• post WW2, City finished above united in 15 of 71 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 0 of 71 seasons - United bigger crowds AND in the league out performed City post-WW2
  • post WW2, City finished above Liverpool in 21 of 71 seasons and City had bigger average attendance in 12 of 71 seasons - Liverpool bigger crowds AND in the league out performed City post-WW2
  • post WW2, United finished above Liverpool in 41 of 71 seasons and united had bigger average attendance in 57 of 71 seasons - Liverpool smaller crowds and were out performed by United post-WW2

Obviously during those years the clubs had good and bad seasons, periods when they finished higher/lower and had better/worse attendances than the other 2 clubs.

But in the last 10 seasons:

• City finished above United 5 times. United have bigger crowds.
  • City finished above Liverpool 8 times and had bigger crowds in 8 seasons.
  • United finished above Liverpool 8 times and had bigger crowds in 10 seasons.

The moral of this story is times change in football and none of us know which of the teams will prosper in the coming years.

Taking the piss, with the bigger crowds, that's got nothing to do with fan base, it's seating capacity.

I could get a ticket every week at the Etihad, no chance at Anfield and for all your "sell out" matches there always seems to be empty seats on the tv. A great example being your last 16 home match, holes everywhere on a Europe last 16 night....?

Anyway, it's the big club match day, off you pop ?

• Haha 1

Bob these days clubs post 'sold seat numbers' as attendance not 'bums on seat numbers' attendance. Arsenal the other day was half empty but a big attendance was recorded. Think for most City games you'd struggle to get a City ticket unless you know someone who has enough points of whatever it is these days (big brother gets mine).

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The moral of this story is times change in football and none of us know which of the teams will prosper in the coming years.

With a lot of luck and money City may overtake United regarding honours/support in the coming years  :whistling:

unfortunately your lifespan does not stretch far enough for you to be able to witness it.....perhaps your great great grandchildren may be the lucky ones......:thumbsup:

Liverpool and United are English footballs most successfull clubs,the rivalry between the fans is well documented however the mutual respect at boardroom level has been in place for a long time.

Here you go Bob, you disbeliever you.

Season Tickets sales club by club by July 2016 as compiled by Talksport:
40,000 Man City
25,000 Liverpool

City sold out all seasoncards for the 2017-18 season...Last season, Premier League games at the Etihad Stadium averaged 54,019 fans, around 98% of capacity (bearing in mind 100% is impossible due to segregation and away allocation is not always sold out).
https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/07/01/manchester-city-sell-out-all-seasoncards-for-the-2017-18-season/

Edited by Bredbury Blue

16 minutes ago, petermik said:

With a lot of luck and money City may overtake United regarding honours/support in the coming years  :whistling:

unfortunately your lifespan does not stretch far enough for you to be able to witness it.....perhaps your great great grandchildren may be the lucky ones......:thumbsup:

Kind of think that's the kind of comments Liverpool fans would have been saying to ManU fans back in 1991 when Liverpool stopped winning and manu started winning...don't you?  :sleep:

Didn't take that long really did it for Manu to catch up and pass..did it. 

Could it happen between City and United? I don't think so but it is possible in my life time

:smile:

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Bob these days clubs post 'sold seat numbers' as attendance not 'bums on seat numbers' attendance. Arsenal the other day was half empty but a big attendance was recorded. Think for most City games you'd struggle to get a City ticket unless you know someone who has enough points of whatever it is these days (big brother gets mine).

I'd reckon its pretty easy to get a home ticket for a bottom half team.

Away tickets you need those points for.

Assuming its the same system as we use.

56 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I'd reckon its pretty easy to get a home ticket for a bottom half team.

I went back to the UK last year and really struggled to get a ticket against Hull. Ended up with a ticket from my nephew's mate who is a season ticket holder

Cracking first goal by The Rash. Thought you deserved to win. Didn't see much threat there from Liverpool. Mourinho got that pretty much right.

Can't believe the size of your team. The midfield of Fellatio, Manic and McTomoi must be the tallest midfield of all time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I went back to the UK last year and really struggled to get a ticket against Hull. Ended up with a ticket from my nephew's mate who is a season ticket holder

Fair dues...I forget we're at Wembley lol.

12 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Pleased to see we've woken up this once busy thread. ..keep it going you Reds.

no need for Fizzles to contribute to this thread with a Romper Stomper Posts as his first paragraph of his comeback post a couple days back, some nice banter was posted all footy related,sure difference of opinion was there but with no personal malice intended, Btw played  Rugby League  for Salford around 1972, for about  3 months largely in reserves,with a few run ons in first grade, could,nt hack the place so fluffing cold and no sun, and not playing well, went back to London with my tail between my legs, but stayed until 1978 and absoulately luved London, back to the match , Mou got it right again,somehow he pulls a rabbitt out of the hat,in the big ones,but has long way to catch up with M/city present outfit, they are twice the better squad then M/U fullstop

ManU have a talent (bit similar to Matic though to play together? ).

why not ?? they were perfect pairing last nite .they were absoulately a stone wall operating directly in front of their back four. hence no supply at all to salah and company .tbh  do u ever stop playing with your pud.bet u got big blisters

They were a perfect pairing in that game but Mourinho seems to play TWO defensive midfield players in most games. I think this is THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between City and United this season: we play Silva and KdB and go out to win it, whereas ManU play Matic plus another defensive midfielder and go out not to lose it.

Yeah, that was classic got it just right Mourinho. I hate to see it but it doesn't do to avoid the obvious.

FWIW I thought that was a clear handball penalty, but still glad there's no VAR to take a second look. They could argue about that until the cows come home, and VAR would add zilch to the debate.

47 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I’m not complaining but 2 penalties should have been given and it was 2 mistakes by one idiot and a young defender that gave the goals away. 

Fair play to young Rashford, took his chances. 

at least one penalty for sure,  (the rub of the green  was not there y/day,) have watched a re=run and still strongly feel a draw( when taking everything into consideration)would have been a very fair result for  both clubs, great game to watch if you know the mechanics(tactics) of football ,sadly there is one on this board who does,nt,and goes off in wild tangents not related to the match  y/day,, read post#22549  he is a  fluffin lulu

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

I’m not complaining but 2 penalties should have been given and it was 2 mistakes by one idiot and a young defender that gave the goals away. 

Fair play to young Rashford, took his chances. 

Fortunately it’s not the end of the season for us, which makes it a little easier to take. 

Yeah, I forgot about the one on Mane. Clear pen.

• Like 2

My post #22549 "

They were a perfect pairing in that game but Mourinho seems to play TWO defensive midfield players in most games. I think this is THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between City and United this season: we play Silva and KdB and go out to win it, whereas ManU play Matic plus another defensive midfielder and go out not to lose it".

It's about ManU. This is the ManU page. Not "off at a tangent" then is it!

• Haha 1