Manchester United

redrus

Just now, RickG16 said:

Totally agree mate. Plus he is a strong character, which we need. 

It's a great move if he comes back. I'd fancy him too I'd love it if we nicked him and gave him a real chance in the competitions we are gunning for. 

8 hours ago, RickG16 said:

So has Rooney too by all accounts. 

Why not get him back too. 

Evidence that playing well and scoring out there isn’t any indication that either could cut it now on the Premiership. 

Seems a backward step to me. 

Edited by Kadilo

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Evidence that playing well and scoring out there isn’t any indication that either could cut it now on the Premiership. 

Exactly.

Shows how far United have fallen, and how desperate the fans are.

And how mental Rc is. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I have been keeping a close eye on Rooney, and the thought did occur to me ???? But with Wazza I think he is really enjoying the freedom of playing abroad, and the lower level.

We all know Wazza went down hill a bit once he lost his pace. Ibra has never really relied on it. That's why even though he is older (I think) he would be a good addition to the squad.

Over the years we have had a history of these 'old but proven class' signings. Henrik Larsson came in and did well when we won the title in 2006/07. Laurent Blanc also came in as a squad player and did well, and was considered to have played an influential role in Rio's development.

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I have been keeping a close eye on Rooney, and the thought did occur to me ???? But with Wazza I think he is really enjoying the freedom of playing abroad, and the lower level.

We all know Wazza went down hill a bit once he lost his pace. Ibra has never really relied on it. That's why even though he is older (I think) he would be a good addition to the squad.

Over the years we have had a history of these 'old but proven class' signings. Henrik Larsson came in and did well when we won the title in 2006/07. Laurent Blanc also came in as a squad player and did well, and was considered to have played an influential role in Rio's development.

I get it from the experience aspect and his influence etc in the dressing room. 

But as a player.......nah, I’m not buying into that. He left for a reason and that reason was the right one, same as Rooney. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

Just now, Kadilo said:

He left for a reason and that reason was the right one, same as Rooney. 

Not correct. Rooney was told he wasn't probably wasn't going to be playing many games, and left. Zlatan had a career threatening injury which he hadn't fully recovered from when it came to contact extension time, so we let him go as we couldn't take the risk.

Since then he has recovered amazingly well. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not correct. Rooney was told he wasn't probably wasn't going to be playing many games, and left. Zlatan had a career threatening injury which he hadn't fully recovered from when it came to contact extension time, so we let him go as we couldn't take the risk.

Since then he has recovered amazingly well. 

he's 30-<deleted>-7.

You need 2 VvD's, 3 Messi's, and 2 Mbappe's.

A geriatric legend is not the answer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

he's 30-<deleted>-7.

Nobody is suggesting he will come in and be the answer to everything long term. The question is 'would you rather have Zlatan in the squad for the next 6 months or not?'. There is a lot of football to be played (including the cup competitions etc), and he might even chip in for some PL / CL games.

Larsson came to us when he was 36, and was useful (when Saha was injured if I remember correctly). But ask any Sweden fan who they think is the better player?

• Like 2

Just now, BangrakBob said:

he's 30-<deleted>-7.

Bob sometimes I get the impression you just want to be a minus to a plus. Geriatric? The guy scored 29 goals in 1 season and pretty much created the professional approach needed to boost that team and he come back from a major injury as Ricky Martin sings so accurately in above posts. If United are looking at him I dare say other top teams will be too, even madrid given they are goal shy. I'm far from mental but you my handsome sugar lips speak without thinking sometimes. 

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Exactly.

Shows how far United have fallen, and how desperate the fans are.

And how mental Rc is. 

Maurine wanted to buy players and was denied, that handicaps a manager who is trying to form up the team he wants

9 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

he's 30-<deleted>-7.

Correct.  Ones of the biggest clubs in the world buys world class players in their prime, and most definitely not 37 year olds.  Zlaten was a wonderful players, Rooney was a very good player, both being right for United in their prime but right now they play for lesser clubs in lesser league where they still look good because they are playing against lesser players.

A club like United should be buying world class players in their prime.  Bring back Zlaten in a coaching capacity but as a player....ridiculous.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, carmine said:

A club like United should be buying world class players in their prime.  

Lukaku, Alexis, Pogba....

But in reality a squad of 25 or so can't all be players in their prime. Aside from the fact younger players needed to be blooded and older players offer much needed experience, young and older players are also more content to be part of rotation. 

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But in reality a squad of 25 or so can't all be players in their prime. Aside from the fact younger players needed to be blooded and older players offer much needed experience, young and older players are also more content to be part of rotation. 

I agree with you regards the experience, but there has to be an age cap.  I think it would be a great idea to get Zlatan back as a coach the existing forwards.  They could learn a lot from him and his presence around the squad would add value also.

Alexis and Pogba were world class players until they started playing under Jose.  I leave any comments on that to you!!

2 hours ago, carmine said:

I agree with you regards the experience, but there has to be an age cap.  I think it would be a great idea to get Zlatan back as a coach the existing forwards.  They could learn a lot from him and his presence around the squad would add value also.

Alexis and Pogba were world class players until they started playing under Jose.  I leave any comments on that to you!!

Pogba is still world class he had a brilliant game against Newcastle and if not for him no way we would have won.

Zlatan would lift the dressing room and some of the players who are under performing might get a clip around the ears, On the pitch games he will play in we will have a leader and focal point of our attack, That's is what I thought we was getting with Sanchez but he has not lived up to his hype.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, nev said:

Pogba is still world class he had a brilliant game against Newcastle and if not for him no way we would have won.

Zlatan would lift the dressing room and some of the players who are under performing might get a clip around the ears, On the pitch games he will play in we will have a leader and focal point of our attack, That's is what I thought we was getting with Sanchez but he has not lived up to his hype.

Yes i agree with all that but are you saying the only person to lift the dressing room and lead on the pitch has to be a 37 year old?

I totally agree, as i did with Rick about what is needed but completely disagree with the personnel you are suggesting.

Pogba is still a shadow of his former self.  Regards Sanchez, he was very much the leader and talisman for Arsenal.  What has happened?  More questions should be asked of the man that never ever accepts he is in any way to blame.

A club the size of Manchester United should never have to accept second best and should be signing players that can lift and lead but also a great deal younger than the ones you guys have mentioned.

Edited by carmine

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Sorry but Lukaku doesn't even get close to being labeled world class.  The other two are world class, just not as yet under Mourinho.

Edited by carmine

7 hours ago, jellydog said:

Usain Bolt is apparently available. :whistling:

Bolt scored 2 goals last night in a trial match but before we get too excited it was against a second tier team and both teams were understrength, ie a normal pre season game.My ex team mate who was there and whose judgement I trust said Bolt was knackered after only 20 mins and his first touch abysmal. Doing no harm, increased the crowd size but as a real footballer most likely will not get a contract

5 hours ago, carmine said:

Sorry but Lukaku doesn't even get close to being labeled world class.  The other two are world class, just not as yet under Mourinho.

I think with Pogba a WC hangover is a small part of the problem.Agree with lukakau a cart horse in comparison skill wise but did score 2 goals for his country,something he does regularly if you look at his goal returns over the years. 

Not sure Zlatan could do it again, great pity he didnt come in his early 30's 

25 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Bolt scored 2 goals last night in a trial match but before we get too excited it was against a second tier team and both teams were understrength, ie a normal pre season game.My ex team mate who was there and whose judgement I trust said Bolt was knackered after only 20 mins and his first touch abysmal. Doing no harm, increased the crowd size but as a real footballer most likely will not get a contract

Scoring two goals is better than what I expected of him. Other than that, attempting to develop decent football skills at his age would seem next to impossible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Scoring two goals is better than what I expected of him. Other than that, attempting to develop decent football skills at his age would seem next to impossible.

I still harbour dreams of representing Scotland.

The way things are going my boots are hanging right by the front door. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

On a point of order I don't think Sanchez was ever a leader (of the forwards or the team) when with us. He was certainly an inspiration in his workrate and outstanding for his goals but he just didn't feel like a leader to me. Nobody particularly did under Wenger post the glory years and when challenged specifically on that about 4 years ago he said "we don't have one leader, we have many leaders on the field" - that riled cos it was true but was also the obvious problem, so I remember it well! 

If anyone was looked up to to lead the front of the field it was probably a combination of Santi Cazorla and Giroud IMO.

That said as I said a week or so ago on here, it baffles me like it baflles Carmine why Sanchez is a serial underperformer at United. Lost it at Arsenal and has not re-found it.

• Like 1