Vitara Fuel Filter 13,000Bt! Make Up My Own?

Hi there

Went to fill up with gas after years of trouble free first time start.

Went to start......it turned over well, and even caught very slightly a couple of times, but would not run.

Shit they put diesel in I thought.

No it's gasohol 91 he said.

I asked for 5 baht worth in a small can.

It looked clean and was indeed gasohol 91.

I asked the CM Suzuki dealer to pick it up and expected some dirt in the filter or something like that.

Today they called and told me I needed a new fuel pump. The part alone to cost 13,000 baht!!

Now this was a lot so I went there.

They said it was an intermittent fault and at 12 years it was "mot ayu".

They had the feed elec wire separated so guess they were right and it wasn't about the signal from the relay being dodgy they're quite good there.

We took it out of the tank.

Rather horrified, I decided to take it home and said I'd call tomorrow (Thursday).

It is the type which sits in the tank in a frame with an arm the height of the tank, with a circular top which screws in the tank.

In the frame is the pump with a rubbery pipe connector, a flat nylon filter bag at the bottom, and the wires and connectors. Also a soft rubbery doughnut with U cutout for taking up the squeeze-in.

For 13,000 you get the lot.

I have already found I can take it apart and get the actual pump separate.

On me asking, he said after market pumps would last four or five months.

First question:

Is this likely to be true, if not what?

Secondly:

How about if I got a quality pump of some type and, if necessary getting a pipe coupling made specially or more likely an extended bit of connector hose or maybe just squeeze it all together, fitted it into the frame, maybe using a screw ring to connect to the frame arm, maybe with a spacer?

It's very similar or identical to this one which is $75 abroad......2300 baht:

63631.jpg

13,000 baht is, after all, 30 baht per week for ten years expected life, just for one of hundreds of parts in the car!

Thanks and rather urgent as the car's sitting there in Suzuki.......

ps already found this kit in US for $99!

M26254997.jpg

13.000 bath is robbery, the pump should not cost more than 3000 tops. Friend of mine had a Toyota engine (used) installed in his Citron car for about 30.000 bath (2.0 Ltr engine + installation).

Is it possible to source a used pump in BKK? Or try find a small car shop that can work on Suzuki cars and ask them.

Well it looks like they have had about 5 or 6 different pumps on the Vitara.. you would need to check which one.. from the US they are pricing from $98 to $238.

If its Denso then they have a factory here in Thailand ,,you never know it may be worth contacting them.

Well it looks like they have had about 5 or 6 different pumps on the Vitara.. you would need to check which one.. from the US they are pricing from $98 to $238.

If its Denso then they have a factory here in Thailand ,,you never know it may be worth contacting them.

Today I went to a respected local mechanic, and he came up with another pump and filter to fit into the whole apparatus.

Price, as I had kind of guessed, 1200 baht. GF called Suzuki and they said bring it over we'll fit it (i'm a long time customer and always leave a tip with the staff and foreman).

I took it.

They were concerned that

1. the bottom stump of the pump wasn't long enough

2. The two wires didn't have fittings on the end. ( cncerned about arcing and explosion which had already crossed my mind)

They said take it back to where you got it and ask them to try to do it. If they can we'll fit it.

I went to a roadside motorbike shop and together we had it ready in 20 minutes. It seems all the bits are pretty firmly together.

Tomorrow will try to fit.

I am rather surprised that uninsulated electrical fittings are washing in petrol in the tank, they were before, and we have done the same again, simply trying to make well done connections taht won't come apart to arc.

Any comments on that appreciated.

Interestingly the local mechanic said the aftermarket pump would last a long time, more than 5 years, but also asked if

I used gasohol.

When i said yes he said the life will be more like two years. But I was already committed and got on with it as I hear gasohol being phased out very soon.

Edited by cheeryble

When i said yes he said the life will be more like two years. But I was already committed and got on with it as I hear gasohol being phased out very soon.

Isn't gasohol supposed to be replaced with a fuel that contains 85% methanol instead of the current 20%.Would shorten the live of your pump even more,if that's correct.

Isn't gasohol supposed to be replaced with a fuel that contains 85% methanol instead of the current 20%.Would shorten the live of your pump even more,if that's correct.

Actually it looks like non-gasohol fuels are being phased out.

Apparently though few pre 2007 cars are prepared for this. Seals can be less resistant to gasohol, and from what we hear, fuel pumps too.

Ended up getting Suzuki to put in my modified pump.

Even at their prices, and including them towing my car across town, I spent a total of 3270bt including the 1200 bt pump, plus as always 100 bt each for chung and foreman.

Better then the 13,910 I was quoted!

Wish I had spent more time researching for a pump which dealt with gasohol OK (limited life maybe guess it's the diaphragm) but wanted to keep it moving I'm off on a trip very soon.

Even at their prices, and including them towing my car across town, I spent a total of 3270bt including the 1200 bt pump, plus as always 100 bt each for chung and foreman.

Wish I had spent more time researching for a pump which dealt with gasohol OK (limited life maybe guess it's the diaphragm) but wanted to keep it moving I'm off on a trip very soon.

I wouldn't worry to much about the pump. Gasahol will eat your rubber fuel lines anyway :D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Yes that is not too bad and you got a car again. If you used gasohol in the past, I would not be afraid to use that again if I was you.