Bank Savings Interest Rates

Rates in Thailand seem to have pegged at around 3% whereas rates in NZ are sliding down --- from around 6% a couple of years ago to 4.75% last week. :( If this keeps up it'll be worth using Thailand as a " hub of investment" w00t.gif

On special fixed deposits seems the following are among the top:

TMB Quick Interest 12m @ 2.7%

CIMB 17M @ 3.25%

As mentioned above, you wont actually be able to open that CIMB 3.25% account unless you also open a Speed Saver account and also deposit 1MB in a 5-month TD that only pays 2.6%

If you work all that out most people would be better off just going with the no-strings 11-month CIMB TD that pays 2.9% Which is what I did last Friday.

As far as I know it's the best of the no-strings TDs at the moment. At least it is for any bank near me.

I am thinking of opening a Sinmathaya Subthawee Deposit Account with Bangkok Bank for myself and my child.

TAX-FREE (ACCUMULATIVE) INTEREST

2.50% for 24 months

2.75% for 36, 48, or 60 months.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

• You can open a Sinmathaya Subthawee Deposit Account for a 24-month,
    36-month, 48-month, or 60-month term.
  • The monthly deposit must be at least 1,000Bt and not exceed 25,000Bt.
    The total amount must not exceed 600,000Bt.
  • Receive tax-free interest if you complete the full deposit term

DEPOSITS

You need to make your deposit no later than the last working day of the month.
  • If you miss more than two deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account, but you are still eligible for the interest rate according to terms and conditions.
  • If more than four deposits are missed, your account will be closed. The tax benefits of this account will be lost and the interest rate will revert to 60% of the interest rate according to the terms and conditions.
  • If a withdrawal is made prior to the maturity of the account, your account will be closed. The tax benefits of this account will be lost and the interest rate will revert to 60% of the interest rate according to the terms and conditions.

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

• Your citizen ID card or other government ID with your photo on it
  • Passport and work permit (in the case of an expatriate)
  • Your tax payer identification card

Does anyone have any experience with this account? It seems pretty decent.

I am thinking of opening a Sinmathaya Subthawee Deposit Account with Bangkok Bank for myself and my child.

TAX-FREE (ACCUMULATIVE) INTEREST

2.50% for 24 months

2.75% for 36, 48, or 60 months.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

• You can open a Sinmathaya Subthawee Deposit Account for a 24-month,

36-month, 48-month, or 60-month term.

• The monthly deposit must be at least 1,000Bt and not exceed 25,000Bt.

The total amount must not exceed 600,000Bt.

• Receive tax-free interest if you complete the full deposit term

DEPOSITS

You need to make your deposit no later than the last working day of the month.
  • If you miss more than two deposits, you will lose the tax benefits of this account, but you are still eligible for the interest rate according to terms and conditions.
  • If more than four deposits are missed, your account will be closed. The tax benefits of this account will be lost and the interest rate will revert to 60% of the interest rate according to the terms and conditions.
  • If a withdrawal is made prior to the maturity of the account, your account will be closed. The tax benefits of this account will be lost and the interest rate will revert to 60% of the interest rate according to the terms and conditions.

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

• Your citizen ID card or other government ID with your photo on it
  • Passport and work permit (in the case of an expatriate)
  • Your tax payer identification card

Does anyone have any experience with this account? It seems pretty decent.

i have tried twice to open one of these accs.cimb and LH.but they all quote different rules.AND REFUSED ME,allthough i have 4different fixed accs.with diff.banks

being retirered,i have retirerment imm.status,tax id.thai driver,s licence,proof of perminant residence.the interest that you quoted i am sure you can beat it elswhere,try land and house. bank[LH] oh nearly forgot the wife opened one of these saving plans with the

THAI UNION CREDIT BANK this month over 2yrs,same rules as the rest 600,000 max.3.60%.

Edited by meatboy

• 3 weeks later...

looks like a lean time ahead for us savers,the big 2 are not giving nothing,rakeing in tooooooooooooooo much.

the next few weeks we are going to be on the prowl for something decent,2,3,5yrs fixed interest paid monthly.

there are a couple that the wife is going to check out,but they have strings attached.

will report back.

Yes looking lean at the moment.

Did a quick scan this morning.

Tanachart still seems top for promos in the 12 to 24m period. Up to 3.5%

On 12m TMB have a "quick deposit" paying 2.7%

TMB's ME online only acc (for Thais only) is giving 2.75% including a 0.5% bonus

Stan Chart recently brought out series 12 of their Marathon accs. In the past these have been decent rates. Average rate is now only 1.99% compared to series11 which I have that averages 2.52% so quite a drop. Their eSaver still currently pays 2.3%. So I see no point rolling over my Marathon series 11 when it matures and it'll likely go in the eSaver.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile

What bank and what account should I go for to get the best rate with good access.I dont want instant access but a reasonable one without loosing to much of the interes.

your best take out a fixed term,you can draw out at any time but you will loose some of the interest.short term accs.if you think you might need funds.

instant acess rates are not very good,there are some accs.that allow some withdrawing without penalties'

try LH BANK but you must be a resident for starters and then some of the banks have their own rules as to whom can have what.

Just noticed Krungsi Mee Tae Dai took another hit as at 20 March 2015. From 2.25 down to 2.00 now.

CIMB Speed Savings still paying 2.3%, until the end of the month at least. No withdrawal conditions.

I went into the local CIMB bank on Tuesday and they gave me a new A4 sheet with all their latest rates for different accounts

Speed Savings has been cut down to 2.1% as from Monday 23rd March 2015

I went into the local CIMB bank on Tuesday and they gave me a new A4 sheet with all their latest rates for different accounts

Website still says 2.3%

http://www.cimbthai.com/CIMB/en/personal/promotion/deposit/speed-savings-deposit_mar2015/

Ah well, TIT.

Website still says 2.3%

http://www.cimbthai.com/CIMB/en/personal/promotion/deposit/speed-savings-deposit_mar2015/

Ah well, TIT.

" *Interest rates and conditions are subject to the Bank's announcement. "

I think you need to look at the 'official' announcement (ie. the A4 sheets) rather than the web-page advertising the account. I've noticed other banks do not always update the 'ad' page.

I'd post the link to the announcement rates but the page isn't showing up as of now - probably being updated...

What bank and what account should I go for to get the best rate with good access.I dont want instant access but a reasonable one without loosing to much of the interes.

There are a whole host of different types of accounts depending on what you're looking for, how long you're tying your money up for, cards etc and you'll get a flavour from reading the last few pages. Best is subjective.

Over the last few years of all the accounts I hold Standard Chartered's eSaver has probably been the best and most consistent account for me.

Not best on everything but consistently a decent rate - currently 2.3% - so I rarely bother switching it to other accs. Tho I do have other accs I consider this a simple core one. Also have for my wife and kids.

Promotional rates continually change between banks and I cant be bothered keep switching at these levels. Very easy to manage as it is online only. No restrictions, limits etc. All instant access online.

If you want an ATM card or debit card you just run a normal acc alongside it and you can sweep your XS funds into and out of the eSaver as and when you want.

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Website still says 2.3%

Ah well, TIT.

" *Interest rates and conditions are subject to the Bank's announcement. "

I think you need to look at the 'official' announcement (ie. the A4 sheets) rather than the web-page advertising the account. I've noticed other banks do not always update the 'ad' page.

I'd post the link to the announcement rates but the page isn't showing up as of now - probably being updated...

I know. I tried the interest-rate link on the website too, without success.

When I do a website it's always up to date. Always. If I couldn't keep it up to date I wouldn't do it at all. Just saying "information provided may all be wrong" doesn't cut it for me.

But TIT.

Edited by KittenKong

at the end of the day, while the rest of the economic powerhouse world are now in the process of what is most likely an interest rate climb Thailands micro economy just struts along and alone fluctuating in the wind this and that as it suits the people with money, that is what happens in a 3rd world country that flops around clinging to basically nothing that matters to anyone on a global stage, what it does hurt howerver is the primary export business here which includes tourism, Thailand doesn't have a big enough economy to be effected by interest rates going up or down, they need to actually value or devalue the baht if they are really serious about changing something, dropping the interest rate last week had absolutely no effect whatsoever - in fact the baht has been climbing ever since, they need to take a long hard look at other measures to adjust the baht and they need to do it soon before it gets caught up as a twig an ocean of very large waves, it is valued way too high right now and that does not benefit the country and its primary export trade at all

Edited by smedly

Dream Savings is a regular saver: deposit a fixed amount between 500-25000B every month. Thais only, I think, but worth asking.

Up and up is a step bond that pays an average of 2.375% over the 24 months.

the wife opened a savings acc.last month with thai credit bank,25,000bht.month over 24months paying 3.60% it wont go down or up[fixed].as above THAIS ONLY.

i have to find a home for my retirement ext.this month and the best so far is LH BANK 2.70% fixed for 18months which is no good for me as my ext.falls in dec.so its either 12months or 24.

at the end of the day, while the rest of the economic powerhouse world are now in the process of what is most likely an interest rate climb Thailands micro economy just struts along and alone fluctuating in the wind this and that as it suits the people with money, that is what happens in a 3rd world country that flops around clinging to basically nothing that matters to anyone on a global stage, what it does hurt howerver is the primary export business here which includes tourism, Thailand doesn't have a big enough economy to be effected by interest rates going up or down, they need to actually value or devalue the baht if they are really serious about changing something, dropping the interest rate last week had absolutely no effect whatsoever - in fact the baht has been climbing ever since, they need to take a long hard look at other measures to adjust the baht and they need to do it soon before it gets caught up as a twig an ocean of very large waves, it is valued way too high right now and that does not benefit the country and its primary export trade at all

Good post - but you are ignoring the other side. Thailand is a huge importer, particularly of energy and luxury goods so it is not so simple as drop the currency to make money. If they could find loads of oil/gas they would be in fat city as the Americans (used to?) say.

Agree it is overvalued nonetheless.

gdaya folks

cimb bank offers 10 % for 12 months, yuan 30.000 min equal to about 140.000 thb

wbr

roobaa01

And the insurance premium against exchange rate risk costs how much, a rhetorical question!

More seriously, a person would have to be certifiably unwell to consider such an account.

The clue is: interest rates and comparative GDP growth.

Yes John, I know!

@chiang mai

god favours the brave since the yuan will be a world currency reserve with gold backing, i will be earning good interest, better than overvalued baht.

a anz in new zealand pays 5 % also good money.

wbr

roobaa01

"the yuan will be a world currency reserve", not within ten years it wont!

http://www.economist.com/debate/overview/213

gdaya folks

cimb bank offers 10 % for 12 months, yuan 30.000 min equal to about 140.000 thb

wbr

roobaa01

CIMB Website has "Accepted currencies = United State dollar (USD), Euro ( EUR), Australian dollar (AUD), Singapore dollar (SGD)"

More info please if this is a real offering (if so, appreciate the link)

www.cimbbank.com.sg, structured deposits.

@chiang mai

china, russia, india, brazil, indonesia etcc have formed a new economic block in order to absolve the usd hegemony, they will bundle their

goldreserve to achieve that goal. in this respect they established already a bank opposite to the imf.

wbrroobaa01

www.cimbbank.com.sg, structured deposits.

@chiang mai

china, russia, india, brazil, indonesia etcc have formed a new economic block in order to absolve the usd hegemony, they will bundle their

goldreserve to achieve that goal. in this respect they established already a bank opposite to the imf.

wbrroobaa01

Eligibility 18 years old & above; Singaporean, Permanent Resident or non-Permanent Resident (with work permit)

Useless unless you are eligible....

Edited by dinga