Bank Savings Interest Rates

Hmmm....... Getting close but still not enough yet to send me back to being a desert nomad, wandering around looking for the next best oasis paying a few points more.

I'm with you on that. No point in panicking over a 0.1 or so % change, but the writing does seem to be on the wall... I keep an eye on this for trends, but nothing much is showing that would encourage me. http://www.deposits.org/

There seems to be a levelling out now and rates are becoming more similar across the developed countries. Oz an NZ were an exception for a long time, but now they must be feeling the heat.

As for Thailand -- it's impossible to tell what's going to happen. Crude prices go down and today they increase petrol, etc. The Baht is strong at the moment, but only enough to annoy the FX watchers, not enough to make investors pile in..

A quick look at UK Gilts and US Treasury yields provides clues, here's one:

http://www.sharingpensions.co.uk/gilt-yields-chart-latest.htm

And the relationship between gilt yields, retail bank interest rates and the BOE rate is what?

==================

We're really talking about rates in Thailand, and while global economics will have an effect, we're really looking at the differences between the various banks in Thailand.

And the relationship between gilt yields, retail bank interest rates and the BOE rate is what?

==================

We're really talking about rates in Thailand, and while global economics will have an effect, we're really looking at the differences between the various banks in Thailand.

Is there an echo in this room! whistling.gif

==================

Just the crappy "quote" function that screws the formatting,,,, ;)

==================

Just the crappy "quote" function that screws the formatting,,,, wink.png

jpinx: as the person who started this thread three years ago and who has posted repeatedly (go check) asking so many posters to stay on topic, it comes as a breath of fresh air that you might have a similar objective, I was certain, in the absence of any policing, that somebody with similar ideals night come along one day, big sigh!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-4#entry5385271

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-62#entry8939568

==================

Just the crappy "quote" function that screws the formatting,,,, wink.png

jpinx: as the person who started this thread three years ago and who has posted repeatedly (go check) asking so many posters to stay on topic, it comes as a breath of fresh air that you might have a similar objective, I was certain, in the absence of any policing, that somebody with similar ideals night come along one day, big sigh!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-4#entry5385271

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/560837-bank-savings-interest-rates/page-62#entry8939568

Can't comment on "policing" (against the rules) - but you can use the report button. ;)

Back to rates - it's not unreasonable to point out that there is a thread somewhere giving a guys experience with cambodia banks, but nothing has surfaced about the 9% supposedly available in Myanmar.

The relationship between Bank of Thailand and the individual banks' rates is influenced by dark forces nowadays. Not easy to know where they're going. If you make a plot over time you'll see that it's very random. :) If someone had the skills and time to make a auto-plot of this it'd be a really handy thing for reference. ;)

As noted by another poster, please get back on topic and stay on topic. If you wish to discuss other matters, then open another thread or find an existing one.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

interesting to note that the central base rate remains unchanged yet bank interest rates are on the decline

even the smaller ones are cutting rates.we have had a few fixed with LH.BANK 3.50% and 3.20% over 15months which at the time was the best allround.5months ago they had a 2yr.savings plan max 600,000 at 4.10% now its down to 3.40%.

today the wife is going to have a look at THAI RETAIL CREDIT BANK they seemed to have done ok.over the past and they have a few accs.she's interested in,24month saving plan at 3.6% and a 3yr.fixed term at 3.25% if this one pays the interest monthly thats fine for anyone looking to top up their pension.

as for farangs opening accs.here she will find out. i will post the findings.

• Like 1

interesting to note that the central base rate remains unchanged yet bank interest rates are on the decline

even the smaller ones are cutting rates.we have had a few fixed with LH.BANK 3.50% and 3.20% over 15months which at the time was the best allround.5months ago they had a 2yr.savings plan max 600,000 at 4.10% now its down to 3.40%.

today the wife is going to have a look at THAI RETAIL CREDIT BANK they seemed to have done ok.over the past and they have a few accs.she's interested in,24month saving plan at 3.6% and a 3yr.fixed term at 3.25% if this one pays the interest monthly thats fine for anyone looking to top up their pension.

3.6% on 24 months is a good deal these days -- I look forward to hearing if it's available to farangs on visa retirement extension wink.png

http://www.tcrbank.com/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%86/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9D%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A8%E0%B8%A9

--- no English version sad.png

Edited by jpinx

3.6% on 24 months is a good deal these days -- I look forward to hearing if it's available to farangs on visa retirement extension wink.png

http://www.tcrbank.com/โปรโมชั่นโดนๆ/โปรโมชั่นเงินฝากปลอดภาษีพิเศษ

--- no English version sad.png

The key points from the Thai document are:

- Deposit between 2,000 and 25,000 Baht every month for 24 months. (I.e. maximum possible saved is 600,000 Baht.)

- One account per person

- No interest if closed within 3 months. After that savings account rate if closed before maturity.

• Like 1

what trcb.told the wife is no farangs allowed to open the tax free savings ac.but what is interesting is the 3.60% for 2yrs.

doesnt go down or up. not the same as land and house,and they stamped it in the pass book.

we are allowed a fixed term acc.

she did open a fixed acc.at 3.25% x 3yrs.interest paid on maturity.

• Like 1

what trcb.told the wife is no farangs allowed to open the tax free savings ac.but what is interesting is the 3.60% for 2yrs.

doesnt go down or up. not the same as land and house,and they stamped it in the pass book.

Shame about farangs not being allowed the 3.60% for 2 years sad.png

Are we allowed the 3.25% for 3 years ?

As an aside.......

Most banks elsewhere pay more for you to lock up your money for longer -- but TiT and they pay less coffee1.gif

Edited by jpinx

Tbank - Tanachart still has up to 3.5% for 2 years. Or 3.6% on 3 years.

Not tempting enough for us to move from Stan Chart's existing marathon acc at 2.49% next available probably in March. Or their eSaver at 2.3% which is down from 2.5%.

TMB's ME acc for Thais only is around 2.5% plus bonus of 0.25% eaxh month you increase.

All instant access or for tge Marathon restricted access 2 withdrawals a month.

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

Tbank - Tanachart still has up to 3.5% for 2 years. Or 3.6% on 3 years.

Not tempting enough for us to move from Stan Chart's existing marathon acc at 2.49% next available probably in March. Or their eSaver at 2.3% which is down from 2.5%.

TMB's ME acc for Thais only is around 2.5% plus bonus of 0.25% eaxh month you increase.

All instant access or for tge Marathon restricted access 2 withdrawals a month.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Tanachart seems ok for farangs --

........... Non-residents (Baht accounts)

3.1 For individuals, required documents include the following:

1) A certified copy of the individual's passport...........

http://www.thanachartbank.co.th/TbankCMSFrontend/personalendetail.aspx?ptypeid=9&proid=59&pname=personal

but I can't find the rates of interest paid shown on their website.. .... sad.png

PS -- belay that -- you have to download their rate sheet from here...

http://www.thanachartbank.co.th/TbankCMSFrontend/rateen.aspx?rateid=4

top one is the latest...

...but they're not in English ;)

Edited by jpinx

I got 2.5% for 11 months at SCB last week. Had no time to try out other banks , interest on my deposit from last year matured on the day I departed , so I had to leave it there for 11 months . Lesson learned , I will make sure that interest matured on my deposit during my stay in Thailand . So that I can choose which bank offers the most .

As an aside.......

Most banks elsewhere pay more for you to lock up your money for longer -- but TiT and they pay less coffee1.gif

the 3.60% savings acc.is not available for us,as its tax free,but the fixed accs.are.

they seem more proffesional than the banks as they gave the wife copy's of interest she will earn on maturity.

the savings plan over 2yrs.paying in the maximum of 25,000bht.pr.month pays 22,192bht.tax free.

the same plan over 3 yrs.paying in the max.of 16,500bht.pr.month pays 33,870bht.interest.tax free.a wopping 3.75%.

As an aside.......

the 3.60% savings acc.is not available for us,as its tax free,but the fixed accs.are.

they seem more proffesional than the banks as they gave the wife copy's of interest she will earn on maturity.

the savings plan over 2yrs.paying in the maximum of 25,000bht.pr.month pays 22,192bht.tax free.

the same plan over 3 yrs.paying in the max.of 16,500bht.pr.month pays 33,870bht.interest.tax free.a wopping 3.75%.

What rates are paid by the fixed accounts available to farangs ?

As an aside.......

What rates are paid by the fixed accounts available to farangs ?

fixed term for farangs? the one the wife opened yesterday 3.25% over 3yrs.interest on maturity.

myself over a long period i would rather the interest be paid monthly,so you got a certificate every yr.of tax witheld.

as it is with yesterday it will mature jan.2018 so will have to wait till 2019 to file for the tax refund.another yr.

have a look what LH.BANK has on offer we have 2accs.maturing in april and the manager told the wife they should have something.he knows if they dont its TA TA.

with LH.BANK they are more of a building soc.who back in the uk.before the banks bought them out,they always beat the interest rates given by the banks.

• 2 weeks later...

CIMB:

3.25% for 17 months (up to 5 mill.), requires that you put 1 mill. into a 2.6% account also.

2.9% for 11 months, requires that you put 100k into a 2.3% account also.

3% for 12 months, if you have a tabien bahn.

2.6% for 5 months, no strings attached.

From memory, just glancing at signs in bank windows, 3.2% seems quite common, Kasikorn at least has the same but it's an interest averaging product designed to keep your money in the account for the full term.

CIMB:

3.25% for 17 months (up to 5 mill.), requires that you put 1 mill. into a 2.6% account also.

From memory, just glancing at signs in bank windows, 3.2% seems quite common, Kasikorn at least has the same but it's an interest averaging product designed to keep your money in the account for the full term.

Does a condo owned blue book count as a tabien bahn for this purpose?

CIMB:

Yes, it proves ownership of immovable property in Thailand.

• Like 1

A tabien bahn is a blue book but it proves residency not ownership and a farang is unlikely to get his name in one anyway. For farangs it's a yellow book and it still doesn't prove ownership. A yellow tabien bahn can be used in some areas instead of a residence certificate for driving licence renewals, but not in Pattaya.

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/property/thai-house-book-yellow-and-blue.html

A tabien bahn is a blue book but it proves residency not ownership and a farang is unlikely to get his name in one anyway. For farangs it's a yellow book and it still doesn't prove ownership. A yellow tabien bahn can be used in some areas instead of a residence certificate for driving licence renewals, but not in Pattaya.

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/property/thai-house-book-yellow-and-blue.html

Yes you are partially correct, it proves residency although the blue book (in the case of a farang) also proves condominium ownership.

The stated purpose of this thread, for several successful years, is to alert viewers as to what retail bank rate products exist currently in Thailand.

May we please stick to that topic, those interested in (semi/not) related debates about off-topic experiences, please, please, give it a rest and start another thread related to your interest (or lack of)!