How To Deal With Bangkok Heat?

LiamEuujin

Hey all,

Ive been in Bangkok for just over a week now.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on dealing with the heat? Every time I go out Im sweating so much within just a few min outside. As soon as I get back to A/C environment im all ok :)

Thanks

1. try to wean yourself off air-conditioner as much as you can tolerate and use fans instead; this may help you acclimatise.

2. wear sensible clothes; i find light cotton works best for me. I only "dress politely" when the occasion demands like going to Immigration or meeting a VIP (there are none in Pattaya, lol)

3. i do my errands in the morning so I can just relax by 10am! But if I need to be out on the street 10am to sunset, I try to walk in the shady side of the street.

4. walk slowly, no point rushing about in the midday heat.

5. break-up the day with cool drinks, cooled fruits, a swim or even a cold shower

that's just my list...hope it helps!

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on dealing with the heat? Every time I go out Im sweating so much within just a few min outside. As soon as I get back to A/C environment im all ok

Asked and answered.

Sadly, most of doggie888888's suggestions don't work too well for those of us that work here.

I wear one shirt to the office and change to another after I cool down a little and the A/C kicks on here in the building.

Get some antifungal cream for the (almost inevitable) crotch rot you'll be getting from never being truly dry "down there".

And I've just gotten used to walking around sweating like a pig. In fact, I enjoy the sweat but not the perpetual pit stains and soaking wet rest of my clothes.

Other than that, I can just commiserate and say welcome!

"4. walk slowly, no point rushing about in the midday heat."

This one works the opposite for me. I need to move a little, not too much, to get out of the heat (i'm usually headed toward ac when i'm out). The longer I am "out there", the more I sweat, and many times if i walk just a little faster, I make that bts train with the doors just closing. The sitting there and slowly walking is what gets me, no wind hitting you (ie you moving creating wind). That is me though.

Use the prickly heat powder after shower. And preferably while you are still a bit wet. You will feel this cooling sensation.

Wear light cotton clothe, or linen

Try not to use air con too much and too cold, in order to avoid big temperature differences

Use roll on wink.png

Before coming to Thailand I lived in the tropics in Australia for over 30 years. When I go to Bangkok I do not feel the heat. But I am now living in the north so I will soon acclimatise to this temperature. The main danger i found was crotch rot. Be very careful. First sign seek medical attention.

I believe silk it good for humid conitions. Slightly absorbant, but doesn't stick and is thin.

For the putrifaction around the gusset region, I use fungicide spray designed for athletes foot. Burns for a few mins, but feels better that the itchiness.

Is this a serious question ??? It's like how do i avoid getting wet swimming in the sea. Thailand can be very hot so get use to it or stay indoors all day with the aircon at 25 celsius. Al the proposals are very very very short term solutions.

Before coming here, you did realise that Thailand has a "tropical" climate, right?

You could try one of thre things:

1) move to a cooler climate

2) stay indoors all day (and night) with the air-con running or

3) just come to terms with it and try to enjoy it.

I wear button down cotton shirts , they breath a little more and do not cling to your body like a Tshirt,

I also wear long pants , thin cotton ones, I hate getting sunburn and Sunscreen on my legs keeps them hotter and sweats off anyway ,

and a hat all the time.....

plus drink lots of water because you will sweat it out....

BK

and I live in California where its also hot but not humid

Try to not depend on the A/C as much and use a fan more. Bangkok doesn't feel nearly as hot nearly when there is a breeze. But you will get used to it if you just endure it for a little longer. Wear loose fitting cloths and socks and sneakers are for sure a no no, get used to sandals but stay away from flip flops (the ones that are supported with only a piece between your toes) unless you are used to wearing them ... even then they can cause problems with your feet, legs and back.

Personally, I rarely wear any underwear (is that too much info) except when I am wearing boxers around the home. No matter how long I've been here, wearing boxers under my shorts always causes discomfort in terms of getting wet. The only other thing that gets hard to get used to is the lack of combo Deodorant / Anti-Perspirant sticks or spray. Asians don't produce the same odors like westerners and finding anything but Anti-Perspirant is difficult.

You can always take a lesson from some of the Thai girls and be sure to take an umbrella with you every day it looks like it will not rain (sunny) and plan out your route to be able to move (sprint) from one shaded spot to another. And if you find yourself without shade or an umbrella -- improvise with a newspaper or something to hold above your head as you walk to create your own shade.

Stock up on the cool polyester polo's......Adidas Climalite or Climacool.

Most brands have the same type of material on offer too...you'll still sweat but it will be absorbed into the material.

Without these I would not have coped over the years!!!!

You do not get used to it, you just learn to cope

Been here for years and I still look like I just came out of a

swimming pool as soon as I step outside

Just learn to deal with it and carry a bottle perfume/eau de toilet

When I first moved to Thailand 6 years ago. The heat and humdity was terrible. Finally after about a month into my stay, i just told myself, "Get used to it." After that I really had no problem and adjusted very quickly. It's all in the state of your mind or a mental thing. After a while you will just grow used to it. It also depends on the climit you came from that can cause you some problems with heat.

Just carry lots of water with you and when you feel like you need it, then drink it. Stay away from Coke (soda) products and alcohol.

Good day

When I first moved to Thailand 6 years ago. The heat and humdity was terrible. Finally after about a month into my stay, i just told myself, "Get used to it." After that I really had no problem and adjusted very quickly. It's all in the state of your mind or a mental thing. After a while you will just grow used to it. It also depends on the climit you came from that can cause you some problems with heat.

Just carry lots of water with you and when you feel like you need it, then drink it. Stay away from Coke (soda) products and alcohol.

Good day

I think (at least for me) the magic time frame is about a month to get used to any new climate.

One tip is not to go outside straight after you've had a shower. I always find that having a (warm) shower opens up my pores or something, and then if I go straight out after a shower then I start sweating like a pig immediately. Give yourself a chance to cool down and dry out before you go out.

All the advice about acclimatization is all good, but you also have to avoid the situation where your body goes into sweating mode. Sometimes I find if I'm sweating too much, my body will go into overdrive and sweat like crazy for no real reason. Some time out in cool air con - enough to let the sweat cool and dry - resets my internal thermostat and stops me sweating so much when it's time to go out again.

Stop relying on air con so much and get yourself a fan. Thailand is a hot country and you just need to adjust to the heat, simple as. If I come home and I'm sweating, I turn the air con on for about 10 minutes, cool down and then turn it off and I have fans about my apartment the rest of the time.

Snake brand cooling powder also works well and makes you feel cooler. :)

Also I read somewhere that eating a lot of chilli and spicy foods will make you sweat but then also after a while your body will adjust better to the heat.