Darkening Of The Car Windows

albhol

I had my new car done with 3M. The only problem was that the 3M screen has their logo "3m" in the tinting. Be careful with what you select

You do realize those are removable. Just ask the place for the liquid used to remove them. Or better still take it back and have the installers remove the logos, just a few minutes to do. Believe isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls will do it.

I had my new car done with 3M. The only problem was that the 3M screen has their logo "3m" in the tinting. Be careful with what you select

Will be ordered from the Mazda dealer, as part of the BT-50 purchase

Quite common is 40-60.

If you do a search here on the forum you'll find more threads about this.

yep i too have 40 front and 60 rear on my BT.

You do realize those are removable. Just ask the place for the liquid used to remove them. Or better still take it back and have the installers remove the logos, just a few minutes to do. Believe isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls will do it.

Yep, a bit of isopropyl alcohol will do the trick. I just removed the logos last night. no damage to the film.

If you are getting it done at the dealer then they will probably have a few cars in their service section already tinted so you can get an idea of what you prefer. They will also have a sample book showing the different levels of tint. Don't be like some people I know who selected the darkest tint and then have to keep lowering their windows when driving at night so they can see where they are going... doesn't seem to be any enforced limit in Thailand on how dark you can go unlike some countries.

If you are getting it done at the dealer then they will probably have a few cars in their service section already tinted so you can get an idea of what you prefer. They will also have a sample book showing the different levels of tint. Don't be like some people I know who selected the darkest tint and then have to keep lowering their windows when driving at night so they can see where they are going... doesn't seem to be any enforced limit in Thailand on how dark you can go unlike some countries.

You've made my point, I'm afraid that I choose to dark and then regret it in practice.

For me, the look is not interesting, just the everyday (night and rain) suitability.

By law 40% is the limit.Recall it being enforced in Bangkok a couple of years ago,but as with all law enforcements in Thailand these occur for a couple of weeks and then dissapear till the next crackdown.

As another poster already mentioned don't go too dark ( 80%) as it will be a problem driving at night.Also keep in mind not to have the front screen done especially when you use the reflection type of foil as it will work as a mirror from the inside at night.

My preference is always 40% green or reflective on side and rear windows, and a stroke of 80% of the same type as a sunvisor on the front window.

Edited by pipo1000

You've made my point, I'm afraid that I choose to dark and then regret it in practice.

For me, the look is not interesting, just the everyday (night and rain) suitability.

I did the same - OK by day, but a bugger at night.

Why don't you try sitting in some cars to see what one you prefer and what suits your personal liking, as said too much on the front can make night driving a problem to some.

Even if you don't want a tint on the front a sunvisor dark tint strip at the top is a must IMO.

Edited by Kwasaki

By law 40% is the limit.Recall it being enforced in Bangkok a couple of years ago,but as with all law enforcements in Thailand these occur for a couple of weeks and then dissapear till the next crackdown.

As another poster already mentioned don't go too dark ( 80%) as it will be a problem driving at night.Also keep in mind not to have the front screen done especially when you use the reflection type of foil as it will work as a mirror from the inside at night.

My preference is always 40% green or reflective on side and rear windows, and a stroke of 80% of the same type as a sunvisor on the front window.

The law might not be enforced on the roads by BIB, but too dark could give you problems with DLT. About a year ago I went to DLT to change registration and was told to come back after removing the very dark film on the windows. After scraping and peeling for half an hour in the parkinglot, back into the testhall. This time no problem thumbsup.gif

What is the cost of getting car windows tinted?

You know already don't you?smile.png .

I would not ask if I knew.

It varies depending on the tint and the brand.

Tinting my Vios cost 3,000 Baht new at the dealers.

Some places include it as one of the 'freebies'

Edited by PattayaParent

You know already don't you?smile.png .

I would not ask if I knew.

OK thanks for that PP it gives me an idea of cost.

If I were to tint again (I have 60/40 also), I'd go for something lighter but higher quality - something like 3m crystalline. I would think something like this still keeps the car relatively cool but is lighter for better night driving.

http://solutions.3mthailand.co.th/wps/portal/3M/th_TH/Thailand_3M_Auto_Film/Home/Products_Main/Crystalline/

OK thanks for that PP it gives me an idea of cost.

For my old Corolla I was quoted 6,000 Baht at a non-dealer tinting shop.

Even if you don't want a tint on the front a sunvisor dark tint strip at the top is a must IMO.

Have seen today at Mazdadealer the window again and detected a clear existing base tint.

Therefore, windows relevant to the driver's view will be tinted up to maximum 40, if at all.

Can hardly imagine how a save night ride with a complete tinted frontwindshield should be possible even if the tint is only 40.

From the frontwindshield, probably just the above part will be tinted (40? 60? 80?),

on the other hand, just for this area the foldable sun shield is mounted...

By the way, the cost for tinting a Mazda BT-50 will be 5900 THB for 3M-stuff.

Edited by albhol

In my Toyota Fortuner I have a 70% film, and I have to say it's a bit to dark, but in my case there is another problem, the car has navigation and if there is metal in the screen, the nav dos'nt work very well, many times it wont see the satelites, tomorrow I have to go back to the dealer for that problem (3M-film)

Thanks for the useful tip.

I was wondering what to do about the 3M logos too.

What is the thinking? Here's my take.....

The usual reason is that it keeps the car cooler - true but I don’t reckon that’s even half the case.

Is it safe? Well not really as it is reducing the amount of light that enters the car and therefore the driver’s eyes. Limit the light and you limit the observation range - in certain circumstances - e.g. dawn or dusk or at night it can lead to the driver either not noticing something or not recognising it properly.

But in Thailand the main reason I think is the national obsession with lack of confrontation and the avoidance of eye-contact.

Driving in Thailand is undisciplined and many drivers make mistakes - however unlike most countries, they don’t use the horn etc. etc. - IMO this is partly due to the fact this might lead to eye contact - solution; tint the windows so much that no-one can see you.

Of course in the long term this leads to further accidents as in close proximity driving - stop signs and deciding priority etc. eye contact is very useful but so often not possible in Thailand. (just being able to see a hand waving you on or even the expressionnon the other driver's face).

Of course it also stops the police seeing you are a foreigner.......

It also prevents caual thieves from seeing what you've got in your car.

• Like 2

What is the thinking? Here's my take.....

The usual reason is that it keeps the car cooler - true but I don’t reckon that’s even half the case.

Is it safe? Well not really as it is reducing the amount of light that enters the car and therefore the driver’s eyes. Limit the light and you limit the observation range - in certain circumstances - e.g. dawn or dusk or at night it can lead to the driver either not noticing something or not recognising it properly.

But in Thailand the main reason I think is the national obsession with lack of confrontation and the avoidance of eye-contact.

Driving in Thailand is undisciplined and many drivers make mistakes - however unlike most countries, they don’t use the horn etc. etc. - IMO this is partly due to the fact this might lead to eye contact - solution; tint the windows so much that no-one can see you.

Of course in the long term this leads to further accidents as in close proximity driving - stop signs and deciding priority etc. eye contact is very useful but so often not possible in Thailand. (just being able to see a hand waving you on or even the expressionnon the other driver's face).

Of course it also stops the police seeing you are a foreigner.......

It also prevents caual thieves from seeing what you've got in your car.

My main point is to do with your first point. Those who put the stuff on the windshield are asking for trouble. Main reason, it does reduce the light getting to your eyes 24/7, so at night when many bikes do not have lights, you may not see them. Try wearing sunglasses at night through a normal clear screen.

I have been told that folk who put that chrome looking stuff on (that looks naff) the screen are more likely to get stopped, the BiB don't like it.

Don't put it on the windscreen, you will regret it at night. except the top 6/8 inches above you line of sight. smile.png

Correct and you must also leave space for the Buddha/flower things that your wife will hang from the rearview mirror. biggrin.png

Don't put it on the windscreen, you will regret it at night. except the top 6/8 inches above you line of sight. smile.png

Correct and you must also leave space for the Buddha/flower things that your wife will hang from the rearview mirror. biggrin.png

Not if you get there first with your furry dice......

post-99758-0-62000300-1339728517_thumb.j