What'S Your Favourite Pub?

The Offshore being that place with the Fish & Chip shop attached in Soi 23?

Yeah thats it.

Smokie knows all the classy joints, personally I think its a dive, and think even less of the chippie.

Its only redeeming qualities are the seats and proximity to Soi Cowboy. Oh and the beer was cold. Not that bad really.....on my only visit there was one other customer....but Jimbo wasn't for introducing himself I think. biggrin.png

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I useta like The Bus Stop on soi nana as they have good food and a good pint of beer but since they have rearranged the place it ain't as nice as before...and now Bully's and places like that that are cool, dark and quiet are more appealing and you can see Bukowski in one of the back booths with a burger and a beer and scribbling his notes...just like some bar in LA in mid afternoon...

a gathering of writers, poets and critics like at the snug at the Scotia Bar in Glasgow...and then the beerbelly and t-shirt brigade would say: 'they ain't even got no wimmin there?' and then the artists will smirk: 'ignorant beerbelly POS...get back to soi nana...we got more important things to discuss'...but they should allow us to smoke tobacco...

I had the Thai food at the Bus Stop one time...me and my harem took over the upstairs....nice setting....excellent food.

I useta like The Bus Stop on soi nana as they have good food and a good pint of beer but since they have rearranged the place it ain't as nice as before...and now Bully's and places like that that are cool, dark and quiet are more appealing and you can see Bukowski in one of the back booths with a burger and a beer and scribbling his notes...just like some bar in LA in mid afternoon...

a gathering of writers, poets and critics like at the snug at the Scotia Bar in Glasgow...and then the beerbelly and t-shirt brigade would say: 'they ain't even got no wimmin there?' and then the artists will smirk: 'ignorant beerbelly POS...get back to soi nana...we got more important things to discuss'...but they should allow us to smoke tobacco...

I had the Thai food at the Bus Stop one time...me and my harem took over the upstairs....nice setting....excellent food.

yeah...I was thinkin' about their excellent beef stew with garlic bread...

Yeah thats it.

Smokie knows all the classy joints, personally I think its a dive, and think even less of the chippie.

Its only redeeming qualities are the seats and proximity to Soi Cowboy. Oh and the beer was cold. Not that bad really.....on my only visit there was one other customer....but Jimbo wasn't for introducing himself I think. biggrin.png

My Old Dutch is closer to Soi Cowboy and more of a decent pub imo

Yeah thats it.

The great thing about the Old Dutch is that you can sit outside and watch the passers-by, when recruiting.

SC

Sounds like you need to visit The Tavern on suk soi 4 just by Jools.

Bus Stop used to be good but I dont like the new place.

Another place worth a visit for decent prices, cold pints and hassle free is The Big Mango.

Yeah thats it.

The only redeeming quality it had the last time I visited was the owner wasnt there.

Where is Jimbo these days? Still trying to arrange a visit to Old Trafford, my mrs has been more times than him and she doesnt even support Manure.

• Like 1

Yeah thats it.

That place has never been the same since Henk left.

Used to love the draft Amarit in there, always freezing, half litre glass for about 50 baht, last time I was in it was poxy glasses that looked like something my mrs would put flowers in.

Another place worth a visit for decent prices, cold pints and hassle free is The Big Mango.

yeah...I remember The Big Mango when it was located at the entrance of NEP; good burgers, Beer Lao and a relaxed atmosphere and the two falang guys that ran the place were friendly as well...

gonna haveta check out the new premises...

Yeah, I do recall that from Bulls Head, was quite small and same people night in, night out, which is cool. Ah forgot about Londoner, they do have women in there IIRC.

I don't mind it being packed with women all the time although that's a bonus. I guess for the packed with women option you need to be heading to Thonglor these days.

Not sure too many women like coming into lower Sukhumvit though with all it's joys

What's the deal with places like that CheckIn? Seems like a pub or is it a thinly disguised hostesses type place as well?

What are some of the better bars with women in Thonglor? Names, please, as well as street names?

Thanks.

my favorite: mixx pub walking st. pattaya

i also liked to drink at pattaya beer garden.

if you're really low on funds head on over to mickys british bar in new plaza. 35 baht beers can't go wrong.

Yeah, I do recall that from Bulls Head, was quite small and same people night in, night out, which is cool. Ah forgot about Londoner, they do have women in there IIRC.

I don't mind it being packed with women all the time although that's a bonus. I guess for the packed with women option you need to be heading to Thonglor these days.

Not sure too many women like coming into lower Sukhumvit though with all it's joys

What's the deal with places like that CheckIn? Seems like a pub or is it a thinly disguised hostesses type place as well?

What are some of the better bars with women in Thonglor? Names, please, as well as street names?

Thanks.

That Witches Taven? I think there are some newer ones around too. I just think they seem to attract your after work staffer for a drink over places in Suk

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been to 'The Game' or whatever it's called, relatively new sports(ish) bar, I think Sukhumvit 20-ish?

Yes and it didn't feel comfortable or have any atmosphere. Was a no no for me and my mate. It's actually between 11 and 9 just down from Nana BTS stairway. Great location, maybe it'll get better.

• Like 1

I like the Robin Hood but think its gone down hill in the last few years. It seems to me that there are a number of bars being run by x and owned by y, and x doesn't care too much if he fritters away the investment of y. Robin Hood is one of many bars that could be much better than what it is.

i think you should ask yourself if there could be any other reasons why they may not need to make that much money?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

GJ's at Sannsainoi Chiang Mai is my favorite! welcomeani.gifwelcomeani.gif But I have to say that as it's my wife's, and she will bash me if I don't.ermm.gif

I have been told by my wife, to let you all know that this Sunday we are doing a Sunday Roast. Beef, lamb, pork and chicken, with all the trimmings, plus apple pie to round things off. Roll on Sunday.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

GJ's at Sannsainoi Chiang Mai is my favorite! welcomeani.gifwelcomeani.gif But I have to say that as it's my wife's, and she will bash me if I don't.ermm.gif

I have been told by my wife, to let you all know that this Sunday we are doing a Sunday Roast. Beef, lamb, pork and chicken, with all the trimmings, plus apple pie to round things off. Roll on Sunday.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Celebrate Hari Raya in style, eh?

I'm off for a Hari Raya bevvy in Ronnie's, in the Village, with my mate from Dubai.

SC

-----------------

CanAhcome? CanAhcome?

'Course not, Imam, it'll clash with prayers

Naebauthermate; thir'syonbigmosque justacrosstheroad; Ah'll only miss yin roond, ina'

I always liked the Bus Stop, but the last few times I've been in it's been empty. Food still decent though.

Ship inn ( used to be bulls head) extremely cliquey always the same 6 to 10 people there every night it seems (I don't go there often) but the place is not bad.

The Ship Inn is on Sukhumvit 23 and has been around for ages.

The Bulls Head was on Sukhumvit 33/1 , just down from the Robin Hood. Its now called the Royal Oak.

There is also The Black Swan at the bootom of the BTS stairs opposite Terminal 21.

Durty Nellys on Ekamai between soi 2 and 4.

The Dubliner

Hanrahans

Chequers

The Sporstman

The Queeen Vic

Crossbar

The Club House

The Australian

Hare and Hounds

The Huntsman

and probably many more and thats just in and around lower to mid Sukhumvit.

Edit for sp.

Describing horrible, plastic, imitation alehouses like the Robin Hood/Dubliner/Hanrahans, even Bully's, (add O'Reilly's and the Irish Xchange) as pubs is an insult to the word, and shows how lacking Bangkok is in decent drinking dens.

Try Jools and a few others in that part of Soi 4, The Soi 8 pub, The Silver Dollar, perhaps The Crossbar, they are what you would at least call drinking places.

Will be in BKK in a week or so, and might try Soi 22 and 26 for a change, one or two likely looking places thereabouts that I've never had the time to try before.

rgs, never actually been in either of these but will remedy that shortly.

Great idea. You'll find yourself surrounded my falangs with tattoos on their arms, earrings in their ears, and ogling over god knows what on the soi. In the meantime, you can get comfortable with an older bar girl who will tell you wonderful things. she'll be sure to be winking at her friends and looking to bleed you dry.

On that note...c'mon in! Ripe for pickens.

Great idea. You'll find yourself surrounded my falangs with tattoos on their arms, earrings in their ears, and ogling over god knows what on the soi. In the meantime, you can get comfortable with an older bar girl who will tell you wonderful things. she'll be sure to be winking at her friends and looking to bleed you dry.

At least they don't have earings in their arms and tattooed ears. That normally indicates a fairly decent drinking establishment.........tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth

Thats the beauty of TV, you can post any old tosh and someone will believe it.

For those not familiar with the places mentioned above, dont worry youre not alone, its obvious from the above comments the poster has never set foot in these places.