Booking Train Tickets On Koh Pha-Ngan

I tend to get a train one direction and a flight the other as I only have a few weeks on some visits and I usually spend a few days in Bangkok and then book the train ticket and sort the flight back up. However, in the next few weeks I may sort a flight out for the day I fly into Thailand online so means I won't be able to get to the Bangkok train station to sort the return out.

How reliable are travel places on Koh Pha-Ngan to book a return train ticket back up to Bangkok? Are they going to totally skank me on price? Will I get a physical train ticket in my hand or some receipt until I actually arrive at the station (and are there any hassles with that recently?)

I am not a fan of the buses, I like to sit in my chair and have a few drinks coffee1.gif on the train. Can't remember the last time I actually booked something on Koh Pha-Ngan itself. It won't be around full moon time and it's July so can't imagine it being too busy either

Also, stupid question but if I can make it to Hualumphong before flying out the day I arrive I assume it's not problem to book a ticket from the South back up to Bkk? No increased price as my point of departure isn't Bkk itself where I'd be buying the ticket?

Cheers muchly :)

Yeah, already have that site bookmarked, good for info and times but not keen on booking online for a train ticket though. I think I trust that less than most of the travel agents just wanted to know if anyone regularly books on Koh Pha-Ngan is it's all problem free and so on

การรถไฟแห่งประเทศไทย - State Railway of Thailand

Not sure if this link will work I just copied and pasted it from my favourites list, but if not just google state railway of thailand and you can book tickets on line then print them off. You pay the same price as at the station and not the inflated prices of sites like the one previously mentioned. I think you can book upto 60 days in advance. I have done this many times and it works fine.

Edited by iian23