90 Day Reporting - Comments And Experiences

Tywais

Mania,

Thanks for the post and yes it looks to me Assist is ideal for those who never leave Thailand, but maybe not so good for those who travel out of the country. It looks like one would have to supply a new arrival card and new entry stamp and also notify them beforehand you were leaving the country so they did not submit the unnecessary 90 day report.

Probably a lot easier to not use them in this case, but I'll give them a call.

I guess it all depends as you say on each persons situation.

I know folks in the South that pay another visa service a flat fee per year.

For that fee they get their yearly renewals done, a couple of re-entry permits each & their 90 day reports done.

Why can they in the South get there yearly renewals done with out going in when we here in the North have to go in?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why can they in the South get there yearly renewals done with out going in when we here in the North have to go in?

TIT?

Most folks that have been here awhile know/accept that at some price

or for some fee anything is possible in many sectors. Within reason of course.

I do not think you will ever find an official statement that states

you can get your visa done without going in.

But really is it any different anywhere else in the world?

That saying "it is not what you know it is who you know" is common in many countries.

As is the odd traffic ticket fixing on up to major offenses.

Edited by mania

TIT?

Most folks that have been here awhile know/accept that at some price

or for some fee anything is possible in many sectors. Within reason of course.

I do not think you will ever find an official statement that states

you can get your visa done without going in.

But really is it any different anywhere else in the world?

That saying "it is not what you know it is who you know" is common in many countries.

As is the odd traffic ticket fixing on up to major offenses.

Yes this is Thailand.

The reason I asked is the manor in which you posted it would suggest a business doing it as a matter of routine not just some special cases which I am sure happens here.

May he Rest in Peace, the unfortunate fellow named "LJW" -who committed suicide a while back - had messaged me in Sept 2011 that he had not been inside Immigration for ten years - his maid had handled everything. This was in Chiang Mai. I believe he had a medical condition that made it very difficult if not impossible to go there, though.

Edited by mesquite

May he Rest in Peace, the unfortunate fellow named "LJW" -who committed suicide a while back - had messaged me in Sept 2011 that he had not been inside Immigration for ten years - his maid had handled everything. This was in Chiang Mai. I believe he had a medical condition that made it very difficult if not impossible to go there, though.

I have no doubt as to the truth of that news.

What I am wondering is how did he accomplish it. One would think that with the amount of hostility some have against immigration they would have researched this news and posted the results. Lord/Buddha/Allah knows they are willing to do the work to get out of the 90 day reporting so they have more time for Thai Visa.

I am quite sure it had some thing to do with his health but never the less it would be a good thing to know in case one ever gets in that position or for ones who are already in very bad physical shape.

• Like 1

What I am wondering is how did he accomplish it. One would think that with the amount of hostility some have against immigration they would have researched this news and posted the results. Lord/Buddha/Allah knows they are willing to do the work to get out of the 90 day reporting so they have more time for Thai Visa.

You seem to have a bit of a problem with

the fact that some folks prefer to do things in a way that is more

comfortable to them.

Why would that be considered in this case as having a hostility towards immigration?

If someone prefers not to face a crowd or eat Lima Beans for that matter does that mean they

are hostile towards Lima Beans? It is just a simple preference nothing more.

Yet you say silly things like "One would think that with the amount of hostility some have against immigration"

or "so they have more time for Thai Visa."

As for the work you claim we did to get out of doing it or your sincere? question to know

how someone who is invalid may get out of it. Well the answer to that is simple....GO ASK

Really if your sincere in wanting to know go ask a company that specializes in doing such things. There are many.

If instead your waiting for advertisements on how to get things done outside of Standard Operating Procedures

you may have a long wait ahead of you.

On the one hand you seem to be a champion of the "Do It Yourself" line of thinking

yet on the other hand demand others to tell you how to do it yourself?

Jai Yen Yen wink.png Try to be accepting in the fact that one size never did fit all & never will.

Some like Lima Beans some don't. Those that do not are not hostile towards Lima Beans at all.

Why be hostile towards their choice not to eat them?

I mean this all in the most constructive way

While I can't address LJW's situation specifically, I do know it is possible for a third party (like a maid, caregiver, spouse) to obtain retirement extensions for someone IF that person has a medical condition that is well documented by a doctor and the 3rd party also has a limited power of attorney granted by the visa holder. It isn't something that's easy to obtain from CM Immigration and to my knowledge, they grant it only when they've seen someone decline over the years and know their situation well.

So, when people say, what happens to my retirement extension when I'm too old and infirm to go into the Immigration office, don't worry -- your visa extension will be the least of your worries. Better to be worrying if you have enough money set aside for care and a network of family and friends to help you if you reach the point that you have difficulty making decisions and remembering things like where the Immigration office located! With a bit of planning, a third party can obtain a retirement visa extension for someone known to CM Immigration.

• Like 1

You seem to have a bit of a problem with

the fact that some folks prefer to do things in a way that is more

comfortable to them.

Why would that be considered in this case as having a hostility towards immigration?

If someone prefers not to face a crowd or eat Lima Beans for that matter does that mean they

are hostile towards Lima Beans? It is just a simple preference nothing more.

Yet you say silly things like "One would think that with the amount of hostility some have against immigration"

or "so they have more time for Thai Visa."

As for the work you claim we did to get out of doing it or your sincere? question to know

how someone who is invalid may get out of it. Well the answer to that is simple....GO ASK

Really if your sincere in wanting to know go ask a company that specializes in doing such things. There are many.

If instead your waiting for advertisements on how to get things done outside of Standard Operating Procedures

you may have a long wait ahead of you.

On the one hand you seem to be a champion of the "Do It Yourself" line of thinking

yet on the other hand demand others to tell you how to do it yourself?

Jai Yen Yen wink.png Try to be accepting in the fact that one size never did fit all & never will.

Some like Lima Beans some don't. Those that do not are not hostile towards Lima Beans at all.

Why be hostile towards their choice not to eat them?

I mean this all in the most constructive way

I believe that any one who takes the route of a hired company to take care of the detail for them would not be interested in a thread titled 90 day reporting-comments and experience.

They might look in on it but to cont5inue posting on it when they have nothing to offer seems to me they have a problem and are striking out in the only way they know.

I could be wrong but I see no reasons for all the attention they give some thing that they no longer have an experience in.

don't mean to offend any one but I do find it curious.

I believe that any one who takes the route of a hired company to take care of the detail for them would not be interested in a thread titled 90 day reporting-comments and experience.

They might look in on it but to cont5inue posting on it when they have nothing to offer seems to me they have a problem and are striking out in the only way they know.

I could be wrong but I see no reasons for all the attention they give some thing that they no longer have an experience in.

Thanks for that explanation & I can I guess see that someone might take that view.

On the other hand I can give you my actual reasons for reading this thread & responding.

I started reading this thread for information about the 90 day process as my first was approaching.

after visiting twice in failed attempts due to my unwillingness to deal with the crowds on the days I chose I

opted for an alternative route.

I then posted in case others may also be seeking an alternative that I found convenient & inexpensive.

As to why I continue to read this thread, well mainly it is because this is how I view the forum.

I log in & hit the My Content Button under my name.

There I see topics that I have participated in have replies so I read them.

I do not want to seem rude if someone has quoted me or asked me a question.

So I read in case I was quoted or asked.

Or like the other day when Tywais asked a question regarding Assist I felt I could offer a response from my experience with Assist.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562436-90-day-reporting-comments-and-experiences/page-15#entry6162015

Lastly I read the topic in the hopes that some day things will be much less hectic there.

I do not think anyone who does it themselves or has it done by a service will ever no longer have an experience in it as you say.

Unless of course they drop this silly rule altogether smile.png We can hope eh?

Anyway I hope this clears it up & I assure you I am not striking out.

At the end of the day I see it as just trying to be helpful & do not begrudge anyone from which ever

method they choose to use to accomplish their required tasks.

Good luck

Edited by mania

Do we use the online que system for 90-reporting? Or do we have to take a number? Or can we just walk up to the 90-reporting desk? AND does having a bar code affect anything (other than no need for copies)?

No

Yes

No

No

Why is it that such a simple thing as 90 day reporting has to be so difficult for some? I have photo copied all doc's to cover the whole year.I have never stayed in any line more than 20 minutes. If that is too much hassle give an agent a thousand a year and it will be done for you.Chiangmai immigration folk are great and do a top job . Get your papers in order...all 4 of them and it's a breeze.

• Like 1

Mania,

Thanks for the post and yes it looks to me Assist is ideal for those who never leave Thailand, but maybe not so good for those who travel out of the country. It looks like one would have to supply a new arrival card and new entry stamp and also notify them beforehand you were leaving the country so they did not submit the unnecessary 90 day report.

Probably a lot easier to not use them in this case, but I'll give them a call.

I guess it all depends as you say on each persons situation.

I know folks in the South that pay another visa service a flat fee per year.

For that fee they get their yearly renewals done, a couple of re-entry permits each & their 90 day reports done.

Yes, but then you have to live in the South and I don't think it's worth it.

• Like 2

mania, on 02 Mar 2013 - 18:00, said:

hellodolly, on 02 Mar 2013 - 17:44, said:

Thanks for that explanation & I can I guess see that someone might take that view.

On the other hand I can give you my actual reasons for reading this thread & responding.

I started reading this thread for information about the 90 day process as my first was approaching.

after visiting twice in failed attempts due to my unwillingness to deal with the crowds on the days I chose I

opted for an alternative route.

I then posted in case others may also be seeking an alternative that I found convenient & inexpensive.

As to why I continue to read this thread, well mainly it is because this is how I view the forum.

I log in & hit the My Content Button under my name.

There I see topics that I have participated in have replies so I read them.

I do not want to seem rude if someone has quoted me or asked me a question.

So I read in case I was quoted or asked.

Or like the other day when Tywais asked a question regarding Assist I felt I could offer a response from my experience with Assist.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/562436-90-day-reporting-comments-and-experiences/page-15#entry6162015

Lastly I read the topic in the hopes that some day things will be much less hectic there.

I do not think anyone who does it themselves or has it done by a service will ever no longer have an experience in it as you say.

Unless of course they drop this silly rule altogether smile.png We can hope eh?

Anyway I hope this clears it up & I assure you I am not striking out.

At the end of the day I see it as just trying to be helpful & do not begrudge anyone from which ever

method they choose to use to accomplish their required tasks.

Good luck

I look to it for information on 90 day reporting. there seems to be a wealth of information about every thing else. I recently did my 90 day and posted my experience. I had been looking prior to the day for information and got all kinds of other information. I was hoping that some one would post there recent experience rather than what ever. My mistake.

I silly me had no idea of the reality so I went in on the 27th and reported my experience. Silly me.

By the way I think a 1,000 baht for 4 reports is a good bargain.

I notice you never tried to get a 90 day saw huge crowds that had nothing to do with it and walked away.

Edited by hellodolly

I suspect keeping us folks on topic is akin to herding cats. Opps, I'm guilty now also.

Now that he brings it up ... wink.png

The idea of the topic is to keep up to date on the current situation at immigration for 90 day reporting to help others make an informed decision. The Assist questions are valid ones as that gives some an alternative mechanism for the reporting and I feel a good one. Just because one person gets by on 5 minute visit for 90 day reports does not preclude others having 1+ hour waits. Just luck of the draw mixed with some advanced planning. That planning includes checking for holidays, Fri/Mon busy points and time of day.

I do read this topic for any updates as it affects me also and appreciate members keeping us current. Then there is my function as the OP and moderating the topic. biggrin.png So relax guys, keep it all in perspective that we are trying to help each other.

• Like 1

Why is it that such a simple thing as 90 day reporting has to be so difficult for some? I have photo copied all doc's to cover the whole year.I have never stayed in any line more than 20 minutes. If that is too much hassle give an agent a thousand a year and it will be done for you.Chiangmai immigration folk are great and do a top job . Get your papers in order...all 4 of them and it's a breeze.

Don't worry, the novelty wears off eventually.

I had to visit immigration today for my nonsensical 90 day reporting requirement. I couldn't help notice hundreds of people milling around outside immigration and standing room only inside the building. I received my number at 1020. My number was finally called at 1200 hours. There was only one person processing the 90 day reporting from around 1100 until my number was called.

I was at immigration at the end of January, for my one year retirement visa but of course was unable to complete my 90 day reporting requirement that day because you have to wait until the 90 days are up. I look forward to the day that the ringleader of this circus comes to the conclusion the 90 day reporting has absolutely no merit and puts an end to this requirement. I think it is excessive to have to wait 1 hour and 40 minutes to get your number called for a process that takes less than five minutes to complete. I did sign the immigration petition and was surprised at how few people bothered to add their name to it.

Edited by CMNightRider

I had to visit immigration today for my nonsensical 90 day reporting requirement. I couldn't help notice hundreds of people milling around outside immigration and standing room only inside the building. I received my number at 1020. My number was finally called at 1200 hours. There was only one person processing the 90 day reporting from around 1100 until my number was called.

Ah, but did you get your share of the newly implemented, happy smile service?

Ah, but did you get your share of the newly implemented, happy smile service?

The majority of immigration staff did appear to be smiling. I'm not certain if it was because of the newly implemented "happy smile service" or because it was lunch time, lol. The whole experience was less than enjoyable for me, although I did appreciate having my 90 day processed before they went to lunch. smile.png

I was at immigration at the end of January, for my one year retirement visa but of course was unable to complete my 90 day reporting requirement that day because you have to wait until the 90 days are up. I look forward to the day that the ringleader of this circus comes to the conclusion the 90 day reporting has absolutely no merit and puts an end to this requirement. I think it is excessive to have to wait 1 hour and 40 minutes to get your number called for a process that takes less than five minutes to complete. I did sign the immigration petition and was surprised at how few people bothered to add their name to it.

Back in early January, the day I made my 3rd 90-day report, I booked an online reservation for Friday, March 1 to extend my 1-year retirement. The retirement stamp was set to expire on March 9. My 4-th 90 day report day was Sunday, March 3.

At exactly 2:00 I was called for processing. During that roughly 10 minutes time, I was told after I get my passport back I would have to:

1) make 2 copies of my new passport page with updated retirement stamp, plus the original visa page and personal info page

2) get in line at counter 1 to submit one set of copies to update my single re-entry Non-O visa to multi-entry visa, and following that,

3) get in line at 90-day report window to do that with 2nd set of copies (and 1 picture).

I sat and waited 1 hour, 55 minutes to receive my updated retirement stamp. It was now exactly 4:05. I rushed back to the photo-copy shop, got copies made, went back to line 1 and was told that they were done for the day. He said I could probably still do my 90-day report. I went to that counter (4:10 now) and presented my passport. I got 90-day report done in 2 minutes. The nice man at counter one (he used to hand out the numbered tickets from machine back in the 'olden days') said I should make appointment for earlier in the day next time.

I have no idea when I'll go back and update to a multi-entry non-Imm. O visa.

For what its worth, an appointment is wonderful since the woman doing the appointments only does one every 15 minutes, and it takes her only 7 to 10 minutes to deal with each applicant. (She wandered around the office the rest of the 15 minute window.)

But then it takes nearly 2 <deleted>' hours to get your passport back! What the hey!? Then you get number for line one - wait however long to update non-O visa, and wait more to get your updated passport back, then when that's done, get a number for 90-day report and wait some more? (gosh, at least once your 90 day number is called, you're there only about 2 minutes more thanks to their updated process! what a relief...)

One could easily spend nearly an entire day at CM Immigration doing all 3 passport updates.

Edited by qdinthailand

Back in early January, the day I made my 3rd 90-day report, I booked an online reservation for Friday, March 1 to extend my 1-year retirement. The retirement stamp was set to expire on March 9. My 4-th 90 day report day was Sunday, March 3.

At exactly 2:00 I was called for processing. During that roughly 10 minutes time, I was told after I get my passport back I would have to:

1) make 2 copies of my new passport page with updated retirement stamp, plus the original visa page and personal info page

2) get in line at counter 1 to submit one set of copies to update my single re-entry Non-O visa to multi-entry visa, and following that,

3) get in line at 90-day report window to do that with 2nd set of copies (and 1 picture).

I sat and waited 1 hour, 55 minutes to receive my updated retirement stamp. It was now exactly 4:05. I rushed back to the photo-copy shop, got copies made, went back to line 1 and was told that they were done for the day. He said I could probably still do my 90-day report. I went to that counter (4:10 now) and presented my passport. I got 90-day report done in 2 minutes. The nice man at counter one (he used to hand out the numbered tickets from machine back in the 'olden days') said I should make appointment for earlier in the day next time.

For what its worth, an appointment is wonderful since the woman doing the appointments only does one every 15 minutes, and it takes her only 7 to 10 minutes to deal with each applicant. (She wandered around the office the rest of the 15 minute window.)

But then it takes nearly 2 <deleted>' hours to get your passport back! What the hey!? Then you get number for line one - wait however long to update non-O visa, and wait more to get your updated passport back, then when that's done, get a number for 90-day report and wait some more? (gosh, at least once your 90 day number is called, you're there only about 2 minutes more thanks to their updated process! what a relief...)

One could easily spend nearly an entire day at CM Immigration doing all 3 passport updates.

The year before Immigration implemented the computer on-line appointment system, I reported to immigration at 0800 hours. That day it took me seven hours to get my one year retirement visa, multi-entry stamp, and 90 day report completed. I had a one hour lunch break during this seven hour period. I have often wondered why the Thai government doesn't follow Malaysia's lead and offer a ten year retirement visa, and why they think the 90 day reporting is so important.

• Like 1

The year before Immigration implemented the computer on-line appointment system, I reported to immigration at 0800 hours. That day it took me seven hours to get my one year retirement visa, multi-entry stamp, and 90 day report completed. I had a one hour lunch break during this seven hour period. I have often wondered why the Thai government doesn't follow Malaysia's lead and offer a ten year retirement visa, and why they think the 90 day reporting is so important.

They won't follow anyone's lead, if it didn't get initiated by a Thai, it can't be any good.

There are two words that make the 90 day reporting so important........paranoia & control.

• Like 1

They won't follow anyone's lead, if it didn't get initiated by a Thai, it can't be any good.

There are two words that make the 90 day reporting so important........paranoia & control.

You only think you know what paranoia is, Try taking a Thai to the states.Try it with out a visa like what millions of people do here every year. They just get off the plane get in line and are good for thirty days. Some object to proving they are here legally but that is to be expected. Canada is even worse. Ask any one who has taken there significant others if all they had to do was get on the air plane and go. Ask them what the response would have been if they just said I am a back packer with nothing here in Thailand just out to see the sights.

The longest I have ever waited for a 90 day was one hour and forty minutes the shortest was three minutes and that included the time to process it.

Can't really comment on the other things other than I have spent seven hours just to renew and three hours to renew and get a multiple reentry visa. Judging from all the responses here for the 90 day it is not bad at all with a few exceptions. The reentry is easy if you can book it but you will notice they only book 10 a day and probably service 40 a day. I just mention that for those of you who are new to the board it is not always as easy as people depict it.

^^ What has 'visiting' someplace got to do with living their permanently? The above example: when Thais have their visas and are married to US/Canadian folk, do they then have to get in line every 90 days for 5/10/15/20/30 years etc, etc ad nauseum? Regards the visa waiver on entry, that is all about making it as easy as possible to ultimately score baht--not making it easy for the tourists' sake. There just are no comparisons to draw, try another tack.

Malaysia, and some of the others, do what they do because they were steered in the right direction.

^^ What has 'visiting' someplace got to do with living their permanently? The above example: when Thais have their visas and are married to US/Canadian folk, do they then have to get in line every 90 days for 5/10/15/20/30 years etc, etc ad nauseum? Regards the visa waiver on entry, that is all about making it as easy as possible to ultimately score baht--not making it easy for the tourists' sake. There just are no comparisons to draw, try another tack.

Malaysia, and some of the others, do what they do because they were steered in the right direction.

Reread my post for a Thai to get into the states or Canada they must pass a paranoia test first one that is far more difficult than paying some one 1,000 baht a year to make a 90 day report.

As you say No comparison.

If you read my post and don't try to rewrite it you will notice I was responding to another poster who called 90 day reports paranoia. On a side note he dosen't do them he pays some one a very reasonable price to do them. As I said he dosen't understand paranoia. If Thailand was Paranoid he would be down there in person every 90 days answering a barrage of questions.

As for Malaysia my understanding is you better have more than 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht you can just stick in a bank.

Reread my post for a Thai to get into the states or Canada they must pass a paranoia test first one that is far more difficult than paying some one 1,000 baht a year to make a 90 day report.

As you say No comparison.

If you read my post and don't try to rewrite it you will notice I was responding to another poster who called 90 day reports paranoia. On a side note he dosen't do them he pays some one a very reasonable price to do them. As I said he dosen't understand paranoia. If Thailand was Paranoid he would be down there in person every 90 days answering a barrage of questions.

As for Malaysia my understanding is you better have more than 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht you can just stick in a bank.

Could you please post exactly what the USA entry paranoia test consists of as I've never actually seen it.

The reporting is part of an overall paranoia, which includes buying a chunk of land to live on as you might be taking over.

What is the reason for doing a 90 day report two weeks after an annual extension, where they glean all the information needed plus address?

Perhaps you could deal with me personally rather than referring to me (assuming it was me and I'm not paranoid) through another post. Why don't you just have a drink a calm down, with the current influx of Russian's it's likely to get even worse for those who choose to go personally for the 90 day report, not fun in the rainy season.

• Like 1

Does anyone actually know why Thai immigration requires foreigners to report to immigration every 90 days? I have to agree with "Uptheos" that it appears to be nothing more than "paranoia & control." I did read a "City Life" article where the officer in charge of Chiang Mai's Immigration stated the reason for the 90 day reporting was to find wanted foreign criminals. If that were the case, the immigration officer processing the 90 day reports would be sitting behind a computer checking to see if you are one of those people they are looking for. Common sense would tell you a foreign criminal is not going to be concerned with a 90 day reporting requirement unless you still believe in the "tooth fairy or Santa Clause," lol.

• Like 2

Does anyone actually know why Thai immigration requires foreigners to report to immigration every 90 days? I have to agree with "Uptheos" that it appears to be nothing more than "paranoia & control." I did read a "City Life" article where the officer in charge of Chiang Mai's Immigration stated the reason for the 90 day reporting was to find wanted foreign criminals. If that were the case, the immigration officer processing the 90 day reports would be sitting behind a computer checking to see if you are one of those people they are looking for. Common sense would tell you a foreign criminal is not going to be concerned with a 90 day reporting requirement unless you still believe in the "tooth fairy or Santa Clause," lol.

Jimbo,

Common Sense? TIT my friend. Common sense is not a requirement.

• Like 1