Integration In Thai Society Made Easy

JurgenG

Ah so you deal in absolutism. That means there is no point of a discussion with you which makes my former conclusion the more legit. You are full of baloney.

Yet again, no idea where you're getting these ideas.

Maybe you thought I was being sarcastic? Not so. Remember, I'm not British. . .

Brits are famous for their dry humor but there is nothing that is funny about you.

"OK fair enough. It's true that if you have no need to "integrate" as being respectable, and just want to be perceived as another down-and-outer in a wifebeater drinking lao khao with the lads that's your right."

You just pulled it down to either black or white. You're not special, you are like an open book, too predictable but that comes with your age I'm afraid. Not everybody thinks the same you laid back geezers do and thank god for that.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I do not understand that Bangkok is the Nation's Capital City.

You would not dress so casually in say Manilla, Tokyo or Singapore.

The heat, which we all struggle with, is a determining factor.

Smart casual is definately the go.

Works for me ...

Not only in Bangkok.

When I'm working in my garden in Isaan, I usually wear a sleeveless shirt, dirty pants and army boots. If I've to buy something in the hardware store I just jump in the car the way I am and go. Now if we have a lunch with friends, I take a quick shower and change to a polo shirt and clean short pants if we're going to meet foreigners, long pants if we have lunch with Thais.

And this is not specifically Thai. As a kid I use to spend my free time in my grand father farm and it was exactly the same, except that short pants was not an option.

OK so if i follow your theory, I would have to wear what 40 yo Thai women are wearing :

- Hello Kitty/Dysney clothes (shirt/sweaters) and accessories (bags/umbrellas) -apparently a big fashion hit with over 40's here even if a huge fashion faux-pas anywhere else in the western world.

- Flowery synthetic (no cotton, far too comfortable by this weather) clothes clashing, that my grandma could have worn (without the clashing)

- Plastic shoes when your feet get swollen and super sweaty in this heat

- or fake "School" looking "sensible" shoes for tired feet that even my grandma refused to wear up until she died at the ripe age of 87, but which are the cheaper thai version so not comfortable but just ugly and make you look like a 100yo.

Now the classier younger attire :

- leopard leggings, leopard skirts, and yes even leopard mini skirts for over 40's, leopard tops, scarf... well really leopard anything seems to be the real classy look for middle age women

- Drop the fake hello Kitty to go uptown for fake Chanel or Dior Tshirt/top (j'adore) accessorized obviously with a fake DG or Gucci bag

- Gold everywhere: sunglasses (asian dictator's wife style) loads of gold rings, tons of gold bracelets and chains, but also on shoes.

- Add silver to gold; considered as super rude anywhere else, here like Christmas decoration are favored all year long, looking like a Christmas Tree is considered hot.

- Plaster my face with white foundation + white powder to look as white as poss and go berserk on colors ie super bright pink lipstick black crayoned eyebrows and vivid eye shadow and end up looking like a clown

- For hair have it long, or choose between the 5 different 1970's haircuts available

If your a girly, anything goes smile.png and the ladies will copy in the future.

I am talking about Gentlemen, yes there are a few out there and whether Thai lady or man, they expect the best from a farang guy. I can continue but it will be off topic. Soooooooooooo, girly, do what you want, as long as your bits are covered. laugh.png

Well yes there quite many Farang women in thailand

Sorry I don't agree,

Hello Kitty at 50 just does not work

Leopard acrylic and gold shades accessories do make you look like a dictator's wife

OK so if i follow your theory, I would have to wear what 40 yo Thai women are wearing :

- Hello Kitty/Dysney clothes (shirt/sweaters) and accessories (bags/umbrellas) -apparently a big fashion hit with over 40's here even if a huge fashion faux-pas anywhere else in the western world.

- Flowery synthetic (no cotton, far too comfortable by this weather) clothes clashing, that my grandma could have worn (without the clashing)

- or fake "School" looking "sensible" shoes for tired feet that even my grandma refused to wear up until she died at the ripe age of 87, but which are the cheaper thai version so not comfortable but just ugly and make you look like a 100yo.

- leopard leggings, leopard skirts, and yes even leopard mini skirts for over 40's, leopard tops, scarf... well really leopard anything seems to be the real classy look for middle age women

- Drop the fake hello Kitty to go uptown for fake Chanel or Dior Tshirt/top (j'adore) accessorized obviously with a fake DG or Gucci bag

- Gold everywhere: sunglasses (asian dictator's wife style) loads of gold rings, tons of gold bracelets and chains, but also on shoes.

- Add silver to gold; considered as super rude anywhere else, here like Christmas decoration are favored all year long, looking like a Christmas Tree is considered hot.

- Plaster my face with white foundation + white powder to look as white as poss and go berserk on colors ie super bright pink lipstick black crayoned eyebrows and vivid eye shadow and end up looking like a clown

- For hair have it long, or choose between the 5 different 1970's haircuts available

If your a girly, anything goes smile.png and the ladies will copy in the future.

I am talking about Gentlemen, yes there are a few out there and whether Thai lady or man, they expect the best from a farang guy. I can continue but it will be off topic. Soooooooooooo, girly, do what you want, as long as your bits are covered. laugh.png

Sorry I don't agree,

Leopard acrylic and gold shades accessories do make you look like a dictator's wife

Still waiting for your photo :)

Sorry I don't agree,

Still waiting for your photo smile.png

Me too. For honest comments. smile.png

True integration very very difficult, for 99% of us impossible.

We can find our place within a particular community/group, but we'll always be the farang.

I wonder if it is any easier for non-Thai Asians who speak passable

Thai, but who physically are indistinguishable from the locals ? unsure.png

Just a thought.

For people who WANT to integrate (as much as that is possible for you in the Thai system), good on you!

For those who don't accept that MOST of us here have no desire to "integrate" for our own varied reasons, bad on you!

If you're actually on track to become a Thai citizen, a tiny percentage of foreigners, of course you're in a different boat.

Just a thought.

Maybe indistinguishable for you - "they all look the same".

I've gotten to the point where I can tell what a Thai's first language is, often get the province right within a few hundred K by looking at their facial structure, about half the time.

More like 75% hit rate when they're Buriram/Surin/Sisaket Khmer or Suai speakers.

No way would a native Thai not recognize that a Japanese, Korean etc are foreigners at first glance. . .

Just a thought.

I've gotten to the point where I can tell what a Thai's first language is, often get the province right within a few hundred K by looking at their facial structure, about half the time.

More like 75% hit rate when they're Buriram/Surin/Sisaket Khmer or Suai speakers.

No way would a native Thai not recognize that a Japanese, Korean etc are foreigners at first glance. . .

Just for fun then, where is this Thai lady from. ?post-41816-0-59739100-1339770118_thumb.j

this will not stop the starring. you just have to get used to it. i guess my daughter attracts a lot of attention but today on the BTS, chick across from us is full in full "I can't blink death stare" mode. i look away. look back her and just stare back for a few seconds and she is still just totally transfixed on us/me/probably my daughter. our western senses make us feel uncomfortable but at the end of the day you just need to get over it.

this will not stop the starring. you just have to get used to it. i guess my daughter attracts a lot of attention but today on the BTS, chick across from us is full in full "I can't blink death stare" mode. i look away. look back her and just stare back for a few seconds and she is still just totally transfixed on us/me/probably my daughter. our western senses make us feel uncomfortable but at the end of the day you just need to get over it.

Were you wearing a lot of gold?

Just a thought.

One of my co-workers is Korean - he doesn't speak Thai...yet everybody keeps speaking to him in Thai, and getting surprised that he is not.

If i go to Pattaya, or tourist areas in Bangkok people of russian/slavian decent speaks russian to me, yet I'm Scandinavian (and NO, i do not dress in bright green shorts and a flaming red top. But is mostly in business wear: slacks/white shirt. smile.png

Sorry I don't agree,

Still waiting for your photo smile.png

Where is yours ?

Just a thought.

Just for fun then, where is this Thai lady from. ?post-41816-0-59739100-1339770118_thumb.j

Come on, no guesses yet, some think they know what Thai region a lady comes from. biggrin.png

Sorry I don't agree,

Why don't you try looking at what stylish Thai women wear (or those who are not living on the breadline) instead of making silly generalisations? If you went to certain areas in the UK a few years ago you could easily come away with the impression that they all wear cheap shell suits and generally dress like crap but that isn't actually the case.

I don't think I've ever seen a woman in leopard print acrylic clothes with gold sunglasses, here or anywhere else. Where on earth do you hang out?

Just a thought.

Come on, no guesses yet, some think they know what Thai region a lady comes from. biggrin.png

This isn't your daughter who could be hi-so Bangkok Sino-Thai but comes from your seed spilled in Isaan again is it?

Sorry I don't agree,

Why don't you try looking at what stylish Thai women wear (or those who are not living on the breadline) instead of making silly generalisations? If you went to certain areas in the UK a few years ago you could easily come away with the impression that they all wear cheap shell suits and generally dress like crap but that isn't actually the case.

I don't think I've ever seen a woman in leopard print acrylic clothes with gold sunglasses, here or anywhere else. Where on earth do you hang out?

Sukhumvit Soi 55 Thonglor, Phrompong, Asoke,

Just today 4pm I saw a woman in Asoke wearing wooden platforms with black and white leopard inner sole and transparent plastic top and as if it was not enough she was wearing petrol blue nail varnish on her extra long toe nails

And I am not commenting on the rest of the attire, the shoes was already more than enough

The hilarious thing is she really looked like she was trying to make a fashion statement

Edited by aneliane

ah, but are you actually looking for it with a practised and disdainful eye?

Lol, not really, but I'm sure acrylic leopard print leggings or anything else of that nature would have stuck in my mind. Mostly I'm just checking the length of skirts / shorts as I am very interested in the clothing industry smile.png Edited by inthepink

Been a while since I've been in Bangkok but I didn't notice any as bad as that. Most girls / women I see in malls up in Chiang Mai are dressed quite normally.

Chiang Mai is more traditional than "trendy" Bangkok

obviously not everyone is tarted up like that, but quite an high number of cases compared to other capitals

And what's "normal"?

Been a while since I've been in Bangkok but I didn't notice any as bad as that. Most girls / women I see in malls up in Chiang Mai are dressed quite normally.

Chiang Mai is more traditional than "trendy" Bangkok

obviously not everyone is tarted up like that, but quite an high number of cases compared to other capitals

And what's "normal"?

Normal... shorts or a skirt and a blouse or t-shirt, or perhaps a dress - not man-made fibres of course. Can't say I really notice shoes.

The only really badly dressed people I see in CM are western men who think it's appropriate to wear beach clothes in a mall. Each to his own and all that but polyester vest tops and grubby shorts don't look good in my opinion (they don't look good anywhere but definitely not in city centre shopping malls).

Edited by inthepink

Just a thought.

One, you have missed my point.

Two, a native Thai half of of the time cannot recognize

a Japanese, Korean at first glance.

Three, "gotten to the point where I can tell what a Thai's

first language is" is baloney !

One, you have missed my point.

Two, a native Thai half of of the time cannot recognize a Japanese, Korean at first glance.

Three, "gotten to the point where I can tell what a Thai's first language is" is baloney !

Actually it's true, some sort of sixth sense, it does freak the girls out, eyes panicky scanning around "who told you? who talking about me?", funny as hell.

Not saying the exact province most of the time, but pretty close in the case of the ones where the physiognomy matches my preferred target profile.

Some guys are into legs, others different body parts, for me it's the cheekbones.

And wrt non-Thai Asians, even the country bumpkins that can't identify Japanese vs Korean vs Burmese vs Malay, they sure know they're not Thai without having to hear anything, and it's not based on clothing styles either.

You really are ignorant if you think all Asians look alike.

I'm sure I'm more accurate in the flesh. And of course the fact that I usually play the game in the bars does narrow down the usual pool of provinces. . .

Plus she's not my type so probably not that accurate, could be "pak glang" native Bangkok though.

I'll guess Chainat or a bit north and west of there?

And could easily be a trans. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I really like aneliane posts. Dr Porntip, a Thai traditional dancer, an excentric lady she met in the street, that's her examples of average Thai ladies.

The first question we want to ask her is where do you live ? These examples are so cliches they can't come for someone who lives in Thailand. But before we make fun of her, we must realize that unfortunately she is a typical kind of expat. Don't have much contact with the thai population, socialize mostly with other foreigners with similar problems, either here in TV or in their favorite waterhole, where they exchange stereotype, the more extreme the better, that reinforce their opinion that it's not them who have a problem but the 60 other millions people who inhabit this country.

This thread was not about dress code but how to have a better experience when living in Thailand (some people don't like the word "integration" so lets forget about it, just lets talk of "better experience"). IM very humble O, one solution is to spend less time with foreigners and more time with the inhabitants of the country where you chose to live.

I'm sure I'm more accurate in the flesh. And of course the fact that I usually play the game in the bars does narrow down the usual pool of provinces. . .

Plus she's not my type so probably not that accurate, could be "pak glang" native Bangkok though.

I'll guess Chainat or a bit north and west of there?

And could easily be a trans. . .

Nooooooooooo, totally wrong.

Her mum and dad are NE Isaan. My point, you never know smile.png . Look at all her skin colour, nooooooooooooo whitening stuff. It seems way back there is Chinese blood. Her brother is dark. A Genes thing eh. biggrin.png

Must ad, your type has nothing to do with it, you sound like an OLD leturous guy. sad.png

Edited by transam

Sukhumvit Soi 55 Thonglor, Phrompong, Asoke,

Just today 4pm I saw a woman in Asoke wearing wooden platforms with black and white leopard inner sole and transparent plastic top and as if it was not enough she was wearing petrol blue nail varnish on her extra long toe nails

And I am not commenting on the rest of the attire, the shoes was already more than enough

The hilarious thing is she really looked like she was trying to make a fashion statement

A woman dressed like this at 4pm in Asok. It's quite possible she was on her way to work.