Pcx 150 Tyre Recall

ianthai

I received a letter dated 5 June 2012 from AP Honda by registered mail asking me to bring my PCX 150 (with a specified VIN range) to change both the front and rear tires. The letter was in English no less! The letter states that the change of tires is to "prevent wobble rides resulting from swelling or deformation of the rubber tires that may occur in some vehicles. According to the producer of the rubber, the process of merging the tire layers with the solvent was incomplete. The layers can become separated during riding, causing deformation of the tires. It would make your motorcycle wobble and possible (sic) lead to an insecure riding. Therefore, we strongly recommend you to bring your PCX150 into Honda Service Center immediately." The service is free.

Enough?

Edited by Thailaw

Thanks for the "heads up" have just rang the dealer who conformed that the rear tyres on certain model numbers are faulty and need to be replaced mine being oner of them. They are currently waiting for the new tyres to arrive and advised caution when riding on the faulty tyre.

Thanks for the "heads up" have just rang the dealer who conformed that the rear tyres on certain model numbers are faulty and need to be replaced mine being oner of them. They are currently waiting for the new tyres to arrive and advised caution when riding on the faulty tyre.

As I said, the letter i received from AP Honda says that both FRONT and REAR tires are to be replaced.

As I said, the letter i received from AP Honda says that both FRONT and REAR tires are to be replaced.

According to the dealer, the recall letter is in the post from Honda, must be a standard letter so sounds like both tyres as you say.

and they laughed when i said i was keeping my PCX 125

Ha-ha, well at least they recall the effected no's and replace for free.

If you loose say 20k bath or more for swapping to 150cc model I would say its not worth it but keep your 125cc for min. a couple of years more.

I will call my dealer tomorrow and ask them regarding the tires on my pcx.

and they laughed when i said i was keeping my PCX 125

I fail to see your point -- Honda identified a problem with an outside supplier's tires installed in the PCX150; they notified owners promptly, requested that they bring their motorbikes to a Honda shop anywhere in Thailand for an immediate and free replacement of the potentially defective parts. What more do you expect them to do? This situation can happen to any manufacturer, and many will not deal with it as effectively and efficiently as Honda is doing with the PCX 150's tires. This gives me added confidence in Honda and the PCX150. You made the right choice with your PCX 125, but this situation is not the reason for it -- it sounds more like dumb luck.... Next.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

1st of all thanks to mention the recall as my dealer Mytion Sukhumvit wasn't able to inform me on my visit(got white number plate) last Thursday. Today i was there and they send me to the dealer/garage/branch on 3rd road about 800m on the left after the south pattaya rd. junction), there i was told i should come back Sunday as they open on this day only for the tire change for all PCX from any dealer in Pattaya.

So lets wait ans see what Sundays brings..............

Cheers

MLHKF128 c_5000001 TO MLHKF128 c_5007400 is the range on engine numbers for the recall. Has anybody out of this had them changed? i almost got my done but they realised i was just outside the recall numbers. I had IRC going to be changed to Dunlop, for those had them changed what was on and changed to what brand. I still might get a set of Dunlops on anyway as my engine number is not far off the recall.

Edited by marstons

Hi all,

1st of all thanks to mention the recall as my dealer Mytion Sukhumvit wasn't able to inform me on my visit(got white number plate) last Thursday. Today i was there and they send me to the dealer/garage/branch on 3rd road about 800m on the left after the south pattaya rd. junction), there i was told i should come back Sunday as they open on this day only for the tire change for all PCX from any dealer in Pattaya.

Cheers

what a surprise - i was at the garage yesterday like ask to do so but the shop was closed without any sign. I let my staff call today and they just mentioned they ran out of tires so didn't open - nice, i got up 8am on Sunday for nothing ;-)

Now i waiting for a call once they get new tires delivered......

I recently had mine replaced which was pretty hassle free other than they had over inflated the tyres to 40 PSI both front and rear instead of the 29 & 33 PSI as recommended. I am particular about tyre pressures on both my car and two bikes. I always check for myself and adjust accordingly with the small compressor I have at home. Recently on my wife's Honda Wave when the tyres were replaced they had inflated the tyres to 60 PSI !!ermm.gif

Hi all,

Cheers

what a surprise - i was at the garage yesterday like ask to do so but the shop was closed without any sign. I let my staff call today and they just mentioned they ran out of tires so didn't open - nice, i got up 8am on Sunday for nothing ;-)

Now i waiting for a call once they get new tires delivered......

Those Mityon dealers just get more incompetent every day i hear something about them .........its never good

I recently had mine replaced which was pretty hassle free other than they had over inflated the tyres to 40 PSI both front and rear instead of the 29 & 33 PSI as recommended. I am particular about tyre pressures on both my car and two bikes. I always check for myself and adjust accordingly with the small compressor I have at home. Recently on my wife's Honda Wave when the tyres were replaced they had inflated the tyres to 60 PSI !!ermm.gif

they love to put 60 PSI

Yamaha do it as well on the elegance and i tried to tell them

but they said because mag wheel needs to be higher pressure

Its not worth arguing with thai logic ,i just go outside and deflate

them down to about 30 psi

When I once produced a tyre pressure gauge after a tyre repair they looked at me as if to say don't tell me how to do my job !

Never heard that before about a higher pressure required for mag wheels, as you said not worth arguing as they will lose face, just except it and finish the job yourself when away from the garage.

just got my tires replaced a Mytion Pattaya 3rd road yesterday - both tires were at 28 PSI, i usuly go with sozia so i changed it to 31/39 respectively......

Cheers

• 1 year later...

I received a letter dated 5 June 2012 from AP Honda by registered mail asking me to bring my PCX 150 (with a specified VIN range) to change both the front and rear tires. The letter was in English no less! The letter states that the change of tires is to "prevent wobble rides resulting from swelling or deformation of the rubber tires that may occur in some vehicles. According to the producer of the rubber, the process of merging the tire layers with the solvent was incomplete. The layers can become separated during riding, causing deformation of the tires. It would make your motorcycle wobble and possible (sic) lead to an insecure riding. Therefore, we strongly recommend you to bring your PCX150 into Honda Service Center immediately." The service is free.

Enough?

I've only just returned to Phuket, can I still get this replacement?

My Honda too has these awful IRC Tyres...

Enough?

To be honest, I think you should just go and change the stock IRC's to some Pirellis. They don't cost too much and might just save your butt.

• Like 1

Not all tires are the same OD so if changing you might lose a bit of top end speed. IRC's are faster than Michelin for instance.

Seems riders from the US are more interested in top speed. That maybe the suburban nature of there ridding and the fact that they have no choice but to use express ways.

Enough?

To be honest, I think you should just go and change the stock IRC's to some Pirellis. They don't cost too much and might just save your butt.

And this is what I shall do...

But shouldn't I try to wangle a 'free' set before doing so?

mine finishes 79xx I'm afraid to report...

Enough?

And this is what I shall do...

But shouldn't I try to wangle a 'free' set before doing so?

mine finishes 79xx I'm afraid to report...

Good point about trying to wangle a free set. If you can, why not? However, considering that it's been such a long time since the recall........

Give it a try anyway and let us know if you're successful. Good luck!