The Continual Noise Of Barking And Howling Dogs - 24/7

simon43

I own 2 dogs and i certainly don't like it when they bark. But they are dogs and will bark at times. It is anoying when all the dogs in the village are starting to bark together because something is up. But last time that happened we caught a burglar because of it. (not our property somewhere else).

Dogs will be dogs get used to i t (occasional barking not the 24/h kind)

This post is about incessant dog barking - also depends on whether the occasional barking actually means barking sessions during the night - personally I will not "get used to it", that is the usual uncaring response from dog owners.

Cry me a river, dogs will bark even at night. I don't like it it happens. People are allowed to keep pets. There you have it. I also don't like it when my neighbors have party at night. But people hold parties i accept it. If you want complete silent you will have to move to a place without people.

This is the kind of response you get from irresponsible dog owners. I own a dog, it barks, get used to it. No one has suggested complete silence, but if you have an incessant barking dog it's your responsibility, not for your neighbours to uproot and move somewhere else. If someone has a party a couple of times a month I'd put up with it, but if it was every night, different story.

My dogs bark a lot.. sometimes 5 minutes in a row. Wow, so bad, in general they won't bark at night unless something fishy is happening. Good grief im an irresponsible dog owner.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were studies done at a major university of the most disturbing, stress inducing noises in modern society. Airplanes, thunder, loud music, mufferless motor vehicles, and dog barks, among many others.

Dog barking won by leaps and bounds. If chronic, it is physically and emotionally debilitating and illness producing.

Whatever choice of appropriate action you chose, do it soon.

There were studies done at a major university of the most disturbing, stress inducing noises in modern society. Airplanes, thunder, loud music, mufferless motor vehicles, and dog barks, among many others.

Dog barking won by leaps and bounds. If chronic, it is physically and emotionally debilitating and illness producing.

Correct irregular sleep can induce physical systems. Without sounding dramatic it's a well known form of torture. Medium size dogs bark at around 100db. For me I ended up in hospital for a type of herpes outbreak on my back that was very painful. I went to a tier 1 hospital & they couldn't identify the root cause until they asked about my sleep patterns. Had to relocate on the doctor's recommendation.

My dogs bark a lot.. sometimes 5 minutes in a row. Wow, so bad, in general they won't bark at night unless something fishy is happening. Good grief im an irresponsible dog owner.

Ever bothered to ask your neighbours if your dogs barking annoys them?

In Phuket the dog charities definitely will not remove Soi dogs unless they are sick or injured. These dogs are barking all the time because there are 2 opposing packs who occupy ground about 300 metres apart - the middle ground where they decide to fight is opposite my hotel entrance!

Right now, me and my staff throw stones at the dogs whenever they approach the hotel. (We haven't hit any of the mutts but perhaps they will learn a-la-Pavlov not to come near our property).

As others have said, barking is acceptable (in Thailand), but not 2 packs of howling mutts all day and especially at night.

Simon

For those who miss Songkran and wished they could play with big guns all day, well now's the chance to dig up that high pressure super duper rocket propelled rocket water cannon and go do some pretend big game hunting. Don't forget the safari suit!biggrin.png

Usually, most of the barking is to do with the new bitch on heat and the males are fighting for first honours. So aim and scare away the bitch and you might get a few hours rest. Shoot at the males too if you want to for fun, it's just a water gun.

Water cannons are definitely a good idea.

Simon, can you connect a couple of PVC lines, to your pumps, and have them handy at either end of your property (or in the middle), so you can turn on a tap, and give them a good blast, with high pressure? Make up something like the supposedly banned Songkran guns, with the PVC size reducing sockets to give it more kick.

Nope why should I i moved in there before they did plus they make far more noise then me. This is Thailand not the West. I can't stop the idiot from revving his car up early mornings or turning up his stereo at night.

Like i said 5 minutes of barking pure hell (i mean if you can't stand that better move to the north pole or something.). These are normal day to day sounds.

Nope why should I i moved in there before they did plus they make far more noise then me. This is Thailand not the West. I can't stop the idiot from revving his car up early mornings or turning up his stereo at night.

Like i said 5 minutes of barking pure hell (i mean if you can't stand that better move to the north pole or something.). These are normal day to day sounds.

Well, could it be that he revs his car up in the early morning and turns up his stereo late at night to get back at you for the barking dogs?

I guess as long as you guys are both happy with all those (doesn't sound like you are) then carry on.

Correct irregular sleep can induce physical systems. Without sounding dramatic it's a well known form of torture. Medium size dogs bark at around 100db. For me I ended up in hospital for a type of herpes outbreak on my back that was very painful. I went to a tier 1 hospital & they couldn't identify the root cause until they asked about my sleep patterns. Had to relocate on the doctor's recommendation.

I don't know how bad it was where you lived so i can't make any judgements. You could also be real sensitive to sound and then Thailand is definitively not the place for you.

I hate it when my sleep gets interrupted but im not as sensitive to it as i once was then i lived in a quiet village in the West. Mind you my dogs sleep inside the house not outside so I would be the first to wake up from them.

Well, could it be that he revs his car up in the early morning and turns up his stereo late at night to get back at you for the barking dogs?

I guess as long as you guys are both happy with all those (doesn't sound like you are) then carry on.

The guy is an idiot, neighbors agree with me. Also the other neighbors dont have a problem with my dogs (except some muslim guy a bit furter down the road but that is normal).

Seems you guys are all too sensitive to live in Thailand and expect it to be like the west. In Thailand there are dogs, they make sounds. Some more then others. Just live with it unless it gets extreme like in Simon's case. Dogs barking all the time are of course too much. Dogs barking 5minutes (maximum) is quite normal.

The guy is an idiot, neighbors agree with me. Also the other neighbors dont have a problem with my dogs (except some muslim guy a bit furter down the road but that is normal).

Seems you guys are all too sensitive to live in Thailand and expect it to be like the west. In Thailand there are dogs, they make sounds. Some more then others. Just live with it unless it gets extreme like in Simon's case. Dogs barking all the time are of course too much. Dogs barking 5minutes (maximum) is quite normal.

I might be sensitive to my neighbors feelings since we all live so close to each other I want to keep the peace. If I have any issues I can take it directly to them and they can do the same with me. This is part of living in harmony and doesn't matter where in the world you call home you will always be better off practicing a bit of the golden rule.

I might be sensitive to my neighbors feelings since we all live so close to each other I want to keep the peace. If I have any issues I can take it directly to them and they can do the same with me. This is part of living in harmony and doesn't matter where in the world you call home you will always be better off practicing a bit of the golden rule.

Im in tune with my other neighbors.. this one is an ass.. Has problems with the other neighbors too. When he moved into the house i started with greetings and politeness. Never got a response. So he is kinda a lost cause.

Thank god I have great neighbours either side of me, both falangs. I love to play my music loud, but I don't out of consideration for them. If I want to hear music loud, I put on a set of headphones. The new falang who has moved in 6 doors down (with the 5 barking dogs) also rides his motorbike at breakneck speed inside the village. Basically, he's a frickin' idiot who doesn't give a rat's about anyone but himself. Unfortunately you can't escape people like that (unless you live in a monastery), they are everywhere.

Simon I am surprised that this has happened to you of all people. You normally do intensive due diligence in your develpements including using this forum for assistance. Surely due dilagence would have shown the prior claims of these nice animals to your farang kennel.

I don't know how bad it was where you lived so i can't make any judgements. You could also be real sensitive to sound and then Thailand is definitively not the place for you.

I hate it when my sleep gets interrupted but im not as sensitive to it as i once was then i lived in a quiet village in the West. Mind you my dogs sleep inside the house not outside so I would be the first to wake up from them.

Don't get the light sleeper bit when dogs barking generate around 100db. However from your post above if your dogs are inside the house during the night, can't see any real problem, unless barking all day & again from your posts doesn't appear to be so...

Thank god I have great neighbours either side of me, both falangs. I love to play my music loud, but I don't out of consideration for them. If I want to hear music loud, I put on a set of headphones. The new falang who has moved in 6 doors down (with the 5 barking dogs) also rides his motorbike at breakneck speed inside the village. Basically, he's a frickin' idiot who doesn't give a rat's about anyone but himself. Unfortunately you can't escape people like that (unless you live in a monastery), they are everywhere.

There are dog owners all though this village plus some soi dogs too. But there is seldom a lot of noise. Must be something terribly wrong with those dogs. When my dogs start fighting and barking when im around i quickly break them up. I don't like listening to them barking anymore then the next guy. But i do accept that they bark. You cant keep dogs from barking at the mailman and stuff like that.

Don't get the light sleeper bit when dogs barking generate around 100db. However from your post above if your dogs are inside the house during the night, can't see any real problem, unless barking all day & again from your posts doesn't appear to be so...

If my dogs were barking at night id be the first to strangle them. I would not let them outside at night because if they bark then others have more problems then me. That is just not fair. When i am talking about my dogs barking, its during the day when the postman comes around or when an other dog stands in front of our gate. Stuff like that. I am home all day most of the days. So i know what happens.

There are dog owners all though this village plus some soi dogs too. But there is seldom a lot of noise. Must be something terribly wrong with those dogs. When my dogs start fighting and barking when im around i quickly break them up. I don't like listening to them barking anymore then the next guy. But i do accept that they bark. You cant keep dogs from barking at the mailman and stuff like that.

I don't think occasional barking at the mailman is what is being complained about here. It also doesn't sound like you are part of the problem. The issue is with dogs that are barking regularly at all hours of the day/night and the owners (or lack of owners) that allow this behavior to continue.

I don't think anyone is being to sensitive here. I'm sure you'd agree that listening to barking dogs all day and night would become quite a nuisance.

What's wrong with the dogs is that no one has bothered to train them, they probably sh*t and p*ss inside his house as well.

I don't think occasional barking at the mailman is what is being complained about here. It also doesn't sound like you are part of the problem. The issue is with dogs that are barking regularly at all hours of the day/night and the owners (or lack of owners) that allow this behavior to continue.

I don't think anyone is being to sensitive here. I'm sure you'd agree that listening to barking dogs all day and night would become quite a nuisance.

Of course i agree to that, i would go raving mad if dogs did that. But i also know that some night some soi dogs here bark when something happens in the village. I cant be bothered by that because its not a normal occurrence. Dogs barking 24/7 is just too much.

Fill up your bike, get a bitch in season and put her on the bike. Pass this flock of dogs slowly, so they get the scent. When you've got their attension, drive in a moderate pace far away (5-6 clicks), let go of the bitch and return home.

Edited by Semper

A previous poster is right - if they're barking and howling 24/7, there's a bitch in heat somewhere nearby.

Fortunately, the 'season' doesn't last v long - unfortunately, unless you spay the local soi dogs, it will happen again...

If the OP has a hotel business it would be in his best (i.e. financial) interest to pay for the local soi dog population to be spayed and neutered. The cost is minimal. Yes, he will have to do it every year or so - but financially it will be worth it.

Hope it's OK to expand the discussion as I believe it's relevant to the discussion on this topic.

For a few years I lived in a mid size town in Australia, population 50,000 with 25,000 registered dogs. The Council's local law enforcement office had five full time staff & guess the majority of complaints they had to deal with; barking dogs. Guess the usual response from the dog owners "that's what dogs do". So is a issue not solely in Thailand. The common TV member response if you don't like it leave Thailand is a very tired mantra. Let me assure you from my personal experience in my Moo Ban, many Thai's also do not enjoy the experience of constantly barking dogs.. TV is a platform for sharing both the good and bad experiences and sharing suggestions to address issues. I am fully aware that expats have minimal influence, if any, right now, but surely their has to be a starting point for the opportunity to improve quality of life in Thailand rather than "if you don't like it, leave".

Hope it's OK to expand the discussion as I believe it's relevant to the discussion on this topic.

For a few years I lived in a mid size town in Australia, population 50,000 with 25,000 registered dogs. The Council's local law enforcement office had five full time staff & guess the majority of complaints they had to deal with; barking dogs. Guess the usual response from the dog owners "that's what dogs do". So is a issue not solely in Thailand. The common TV member response if you don't like it leave Thailand is a very tired mantra. Let me assure you from my personal experience in my Moo Ban, many Thai's also do not enjoy the experience of constantly barking dogs.. TV is a platform for sharing both the good and bad experiences and sharing suggestions to address issues. I am fully aware that expats have minimal influence, if any, right now, but surely their has to be a starting point for the opportunity to improve quality of life in Thailand rather than "if you don't like it, leave".

I told you Thailand is not the place for you, did not mean you should leave. But if there was ever a place that was noisy it is Thailand. Ask anyone, so if you can't stand noise your in the wrong country. I go totally crazy every time i enter a big C with all the sounds blasting ect.

angry.png

I have a phone number for a guy in a red pickup from Nakhon Sawan. Upwards of 280 baht/mutt the last time.

Read the papers.This is an illegal practise and take a look at what happens to the dogs on the way to a Vietnamese dinner table. Edited by Ron19

I told you Thailand is not the place for you, did not mean you should leave. But if there was ever a place that was noisy it is Thailand. Ask anyone, so if you can't stand noise your in the wrong country. I go totally crazy every time i enter a big C with all the sounds blasting ect.

So perhaps Thailand "is not the place for you"?

So perhaps Thailand "is not the place for you"?

I accept it, does not mean i like it.

angry.png

I have a phone number for a guy in a red pickup from Nakhon Sawan. Upwards of 280 baht/mutt the last time.

Read the papers.This is an illegal practise and take a look at what happens to the dogs on the way to a Vietnamese dinner table.

I was thinking about 'reporting' Nan Laew's post - but it is far better to hold him in the contempt he deserves.

There are times when I wish I believed in reincarnation...