Ability To Delete Our Own Posts Would Be Great Feature

Jayman

Why can't we delete our own posts? Often times, for whatever reason (like a double post), the need arises for a user to delete their own post. Why is this not possible? We can edit the post but not remove it? Or do we already have this ability and I just can't figure it out?

Yeah, just delete the content and perhaps add a comment like Posting error, Post withdrawn, double post, etc. I wouldn't mind the power to delete either, but see it would need to be under a severe time limit, probably less than editing.

Certain members may also use it to delete the evidence...............................

Your point is very overblown because there would have to be a time limit if there was a delete option as there is now for the edit option, so if you regret your post or make an error, you can NOW just wipe the content out anyway. Obviously if someone has included your post in a reply before you do that, there is no turning back. Edited by Jingthing

I realize there is a time limit to edit. I am asking to add the delete function to that same set of options. If you can edit it then you can remove all the text anyways so why not give the option to just delete the post if within the editing time limit.

Of course, if someone has used your post in a quoted reply then that will not be removed by either editing or deleting your post.

• Like 1

I realize there is a time limit to edit. I am asking to add the delete function to that same set of options. If you can edit it then you can remove all the text anyways so why not give the option to just delete the post if within the editing time limit.

Of course, if someone has used your post in a quoted reply then that will not be removed by either editing or deleting your post.

Good idea. thumbsup.gif

Hahahahaha The best option, I find, is never post if you've recently had a drink!

I agree

Funny but really for some of us "volume posters" (ha ha) mistakes happen without the aid of recreational substances.

i do appologise to you as you are a "volume ..........

'

Use the Report function if you wish a post deleted. The mods will evaluate it and its affect on the rest of the topic and remove if appropriate.

Mods don't evaluate the affects of someone deleting the entire contents of their post though do they. What is the difference? Doesn't seem to be much to me.

Obviously allowing members to delete posts after some time has elapsed would potentially lead to confusion, but as with time limit on editing posts, don't see why the same thing can't apply to deleting posts, just make it a shorter window. Five minutes perhaps.

I'm pretty sure the software would allow for self deletions and as trashing the text and leaving a blank post within a time limit is already enabled, don't see any logical reason to not allow self deletions. As said, reporting can mean waiting several hours or more for an action.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Not required, it could encourage more wayward posting, and the following deletions would cause choas and misunderstanding

Let the Mods clear the 'edited' blank posts if this is considered neccesssary, easy enough for the poster to advise

Not required, it could encourage more wayward posting, and the following deletions would cause choas and misunderstanding

Let the Mods clear the 'edited' blank posts if this is considered neccesssary, easy enough for the poster to advise

That way just adds extra unnecessary work for the mods, work that in the case of people double, triple posting in error, they often don't do as no doubt they have their hands full with other stuff.

Your argument would make more sense if it was impossible to delete the whole contents of your post. It isn't, and quite what the difference is between deleting post contents and deleting posts, that would create all this choas and misunderstanding you speak of, i know not.

That way just adds extra unnecessary work for the mods, work that in the case of people double, triple posting in error, they often don't do as no doubt they have their hands full with other stuff.

Your argument would make more sense if it was impossible to delete the whole contents of your post. It isn't, and quite what the difference is between deleting post contents and deleting posts, that would create all this choas and misunderstanding you speak of, i know not.

What 'argument'? my comment was 'Not required'.......................no more work for the mods at all!!!!

"Let the Mods clear the 'edited' blank posts if this is considered neccesssary"

It would appear there is clearly enough confusion,misunderstanding and misinterpretation without posts disappearing!!!

Edited by 473geo

I have been informed that it is technically not possible. I don't know the software, so let's leave it at that.

If you want your post removed, just use the Report button, as Tywais said. Not a problem.

What 'argument'? my comment was 'Not required'.......................no more work for the mods at all!!!!

"Let the Mods clear the 'edited' blank posts if this is considered neccesssary"

It would appear there is clearly enough confusion,misunderstanding and misinterpretation without posts disappearing!!!

You mentioned about posters advising if blank posts needed removing and this was the work i was referring to. And as i say, if posters are able to remove the entire contents of their post - and we know they are - i struggle to understand what extra confusion,misunderstanding and misinterpretation there would be, by allowing posters to remove the post itself. As i say, the window with which one was able to do this, would only be short.

By the by however, as tom says it is technically not possible. Reason enough for me.

I think the current system is ok; the only improvement would be automatic deletion of double posts

I also don't think the mods should have to waste time deleting posts that have been made in error

It doesn't take long to scroll past an erroneous post and it must be a very boring task for the mods

So someone makes a post and then realise that what they have posted is complete nonsense or downright nasty and they can delete the post and hope no one has quoted it.

No I say to delete option, let the forum see what has been posted and it makes people think twice about what they post.

You already have the chance to edit and IMO that's all we really need.

As for time limit to edit,15 to 30 minutes maximum.IMO.

As a mod has already said you can contact them to ask for removal.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

So someone makes a post and then realise that what they have posted is complete nonsense or downright nasty and they can delete the post and hope no one has quoted it.

No I say to delete option, let the forum see what has been posted and it makes people think twice about what they post.

That's irrational if the deletion time limit is the same as the editing time limit.

Next ...

That's irrational if the deletion time limit is the same as the editing time limit.

Next ...

And where did I mention a time limit for deletion.

Edit. I said NO to a delete option.

Edited by MB1

Oh please! It's obvious there would NEED to be a time limit for self deletions. That's a given.

Oh please! it's obvious I said No to a delete function

So if their is NO delete option no NEED for a time limit.

Next.

Edited by MB1

Yeah, just delete the content and perhaps add a comment like Posting error, Post withdrawn, double post, etc. I wouldn't mind the power to delete either, but see it would need to be under a severe time limit, probably less than editing.

Time for a poll eh JT. You already know my vote.

No no no no no no no.!