Any 'Worldly' Bars In Jomtien?

Tariya

Is there one or two bars in Jomtien above the mongering, people-watching levels where some conversationalists hang out- - journalists, or writers or teachers or mysterioso people and where a non-working girl might feel comfortable? You can save the cheeky retorts. I'd seriously like to find a place to exchange a thought or two.

Tariya

"Is there one or two bars in Jomtien above the mongering, people-watching levels where some conversationalists hang out- - journalists, or writers or teachers or mysterioso people and where a non-working girl might feel comfortable?"

The Sketch cafe on Thappraya next door to VT5, perhaps?

Much better choice would be Robin Hood bar - friendly staff and patrons and not a girly bar. Sketch has seats for maybe 80 guests but I hardly

ever see anyone in there. But Ok if you don't want conversation.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Sketch has seats for maybe 80 guests but I hardly

ever see anyone in there. But Ok if you don't want conversation.

I saw people in there last week, and they looked suitably arty. Dont know if they were talking or not.

• 2 weeks later...

"Is there one or two bars in Jomtien above the mongering, people-watching levels where some conversationalists hang out- - journalists, or writers or teachers or mysterioso people and where a non-working girl might feel comfortable?"

The Sketch cafe on Thappraya next door to VT5, perhaps?

The atmosphere is perfect for it but I never got that kind of vibe from the patrons. Every time I go in, it's usually 1 or 2 groups of Thais, who stick to themselves. May be an odd farang or two enjoying a coffee or some food in isolation. It is a nice place to go if you have a group of conversationalists ready but I think she is asking for a hang out where she can meet some intelligent people.

Honestly I get the sense that you have to get involved with some kind of group of people prior to choosing the location, or attend based on the event they are holding. I've never seen a place in Pattaya that consistently has journalists, or writers, or teachers or mysterioso people. If I did, I'd be going to it myself!

Bar /restaurant called Kaffta ? Its at the very beginning of Jomtien Beach road in front of Jomtien Plaza .

yeah it's def a little more upscale. I would imagine if you drive by and see people at the bar, there's a good a chance as any to start a conversation. I guess that goes for most of the upscale bars. Maybe if you go to Mango Tree Bistro (on the grounds of Central Festival, right by beach road on the south side) on a weekend? That seems a little more upscale. Possibly the Irish pub right downstairs as well, chances are you might be able to strike up a civilized conversation there if there are enough people.

I know this reply goes off at a bit of a tangent but I'll offer it anyway. I go scuba diving here regularly and I find that the dive boat is a great place to meet friendly and interesting people. The conversation and craic on the boat is always good and you meet people of all ages, both sexes and every nationality.

It's not even necessary to be a diver. Go along as a snorkeler and join in the craic.

Edited by Spalpeen

Appreciate all the thoughts and suggestions. Seems I'll have to dig to find the few hidden types I'm looking for. Not that there's anything hidden in Jomtien - it's a rather exposed, shallow area. And not that Bangkok is that much better than Pattaya. Other than the mausoleum atmosphere at the Foreign Correspondents' club, in these times of social media chit-chat, the days of conversation amidst sparkle and danger seem to be gone.