Binoculars

seeker108

Hello all! I just moved into a new apartment nestled up near Doi Suthep (2 km north of Huay Kaew) and I have a huge, wrap around corner balcony with fantastic views. A nearby resort reports 53 different species of birds spotted on their property as well. I figure it is time to get a good pair of binocs and/or telescope and a tripod for steady viewing. I saw two previous threads on where to possibly buy, but those are at least one year out of date, so any update on best places to buy would be appreciated. Also I am not very knowledgeable about such things and so if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for to get as good a quality and power as possible within a modest budget would also be appreciated. Finally, if anyone has something like this that you wish to sell feel free to PM me

Thanks! wai.gif

Edited by Tywais
Changed to standard font for readability

Why dont you go to the nearby resort then and save yourself the bother of binocs or a telescope.

You do realise that looking at "birds" through telescopes on a tripod could be construed as "peeping" and you can get yourself in a lot of trouble.

• Haha 1

Hello Seeker,

I just want to let you know that I was once looking for a telescope and received some good advice on this forum.

I decided, in the end, to settle on a binocular. I found a set which is not very powerful BUT is of a multi-focal configuration. Sorry I can not provide any technical description of how it works but it is constantly in focus no matter where you choose to view - near or distant - without having to make any adjustment to the focal length. In fact there is no mechanism to even make such adjustments.

These may be quite unsuitable for bird-watching but for general viewing they are an absolute pleasure to use.

Perhaps some of the bird-watchers might like to comment on this type of binocular.

Cheers.

Can I suggest that you get the very best pair that you can afford? If you are going to try to really 'see' the birds, differentiating between them, perhaps checking them off a Bird Guide book list as you see them, you will be spend a fair amount of time using them. Cheap ones just don't really get all that sharp... The DO magnify, but not so clearly, especially at higher magnifications. If you think that you will be seeing more late afternoon/early evening birds, in lower light, you will need 10x50 or 7x50 to allow more light gathering. Be sure that which ever you do buy, that there is a receiver for a tripod or monopod, especially if you get the high powered 10x50, otherwise there is just waaay too much jiggling in your sight picture. It's hard to hold any binoculars steady (unless you opt for image stabilized binoc which, these days, aren't out of sight price wise) for any length of time.

What you do NOT want are the cheap binoculars from the Night Market... or worse yet, the monoculars!

Just remember, with optics, you get what you pay for. You can get a cheap pair of binoculars in the Night Bazaar for 200 baht or you can blow 50,000 baht on a nice pair of Swarorvskis. When viewing, the difference is like nght and day. Some people are tempted to get the more powerful 10x units, but bird watchers often prefer the 8x units becasue they have a broader field of vision. I would strongly suggest that you spend five or six hours on the Internet personally researching your options.

I think bird watchers like the 8x40's

I agree with other posters to not go higher or be tempted by 10x50's etc because the problem will be in holding them steady

I had a nice pair of Nikon 7x50's & used them for both Astro ( looking at stars ) & Terrestrial ( land objects )

Very nice optics...wide field of view & plenty enough magnification

You can order these online from places like Amazon

Here is a basic guide....

http://www.chuckhawk...ular_basics.htm

Note what it says about exit pupil size.

As we age it changes so that will be your limiting factor.

Edited by flying