Non-O Visa For Spouse And Children Of Non-B Holder

So our visas are up quite soon. Until my family and I have enjoyed the easy-to-get non-O visas from some the consulates in North America (since we're all of us American). My wife has found a job at a local school, and will be getting a non-B through working there - will this be enough for myself and the two kids to qualify as dependents and get non-O's through her? I found this topic in another thread (http://goo.gl/ETK8X), but it's two years old. Everything is still the same as then? As dependents of a work permit holder, will the kids and I need to make border runs every 90 days, or do we get to slide in with her report/fax every 90 days instead?

Thanks!

jn

After your wife gets her work permit and extension you can get extensions based upon her working.

If she gets a single entry B visa before you travel you and family should be able to get single entry non-o"s.

Edited by ubonjoe

Non immigrant visas are issued for family if that member has an extension of stay in passport. Do not believe Consulate will issue prior to that - and to obtain matching extensions from immigration it would be required first.

If she gets one year extension of stay you and your kids can apply for one year extension of stay as dependents.

Only need for 90 day reporting at immigrations, don't forget re-entry permit if you leave the kingdom.

Non immigrant visas are issued for family if that member has an extension of stay in passport. Do not believe Consulate will issue prior to that

My friend has had 14 years of multiple non-B from Malaysia, his wife has always got a multiple non-O as dependent at the same time.

Is there any age limit to qualify as a dependant child? If the child is for example over 18 can they still get a visa like this if a parent has a work permit?

Only a child under 20 years old can be a dependent.

Getting a visa to visit you is soemthing else then an extension of stay. The visa might be possible, depending on where you apply, the extension of stay is not possible for a child older then 20 (The age one becomes of age in Thailand).

I came last October on a 90-day Non-O (Business) Visa and my wife and 1.5 yr old son were granted Dependents Visa (provided for under Thai Immigration Laws - classified under spouse and children). When I had my 1 year extension done before the 90-day Visa expired, their Visa were similarly extended to match my expiry date.

Recently in March, I brought my 2 step-children (aged 12 and 10) here on 90-day dependents Visa (allowed under Thai Police order 777-2551 extension of stay rules - EN version). We had no problems getting the 90-day visa Dependents Visa in Philippines but when we wanted to extend their visa to match expiry date as mine, the Immigration officer at the Immigration Office Branch we went to initially firmly did not want to grant the extension as I had not officially adopted them. I showed her the above Police Order and she showed me hers (same document, 555) and pointed to me the clause that she claimed said I had to adopt my kids. I re-read that same clause to her and explained politely that she had made a mistake and misunderstood that Clause, and helped her to understand it. She then consulted with 2 other lady officers in tat office, and finally all agreed I was correct. So the extension was granted without any more problems and she became much softer/nicer after this; even made small talk with me (in Thai). Obviously their poor command of English can possibly cause problems for foreigners (even if it was not intentional), unless we know what we are entitled to. Be patient to explain and never lose one's cool.

NOTE: Immigration Visa, as I understand cannot be applied for within Thailand. If your family is already here, you may have to exit the country to apply for the 90-day Non-B Visas outside and then get the 1-year extension before the visas expire. If yr current Non-O Visa is not for Business, I am not sure if yr wife can start work - she may need to get a Non-B (as commonly called). Maybe other TV members can advise better on this.

I assume she will be applying for Work Permit under the school? Work Permit Holders can get 1-year Visa extension and apply for renewal yearly. Dependents ride on this.

Police order 777-2551 extension of stay rules EN - T&G (short).pdf

Edited by thanchart