Thailand To Get Two New International Cables

lomatopo

http://www.telecomasia.net/content/thailand-get-two-new-international-cables

Thailand to get two new international cables

Dylan Bushell-Embling | June 18, 2012

telecomasia.net

China Telecom and Thai state-owned operator TOT will join forces to build two new international telecom cables running into Thailand.

The companies will deploy landline cables - one linking Thailand with Laos, China and Russia, and the other running from Thailand to Cambodia and Vietnam - Bangkok Post reported.

The new cables are designed to ease the strain of the subsea cable operated by fellow state-owned telco CAT, currently Thailand's main international link.

• Like 1

Good news but the maintenance of the equipment is important, and what equipment will they put on the head-ends? WDM or DXC? Probably Huawei equipment as it is with the Chinese.

Edited by beano2274

If they are running land cables which will be fibre, then they are gonna require sites every some many kilometres to carry the signals further (ILA) and also to check the quality of the signal (3R site), these sites will be in the middle of nowhere and knowing Thais will probably be suspect to being used for other things as well.

3R, Dont think so. optical amp with error correction. The main problem they will have is the theft and damage of/to the cable if it is run above ground. when we installed the Thai network back in the mid 2000s we were getting 8 breaks per day. A lot of this is because the locals were pinching the cable thinking it was copper. To bury this cable will be very expensive. All the buildings the equipment were installed in were existing TOT/CAT sites. No probs with the buildings being used for anything else. Quite secure.

I'm seeing a lot of improvements with 3BB Premier line i've been given the 8285 / 1024 that's what been shown via D-link as we speak and i'm only paying 2500bht a month ..

Torrent speed has been going throw the roof also 8000 kB's down to about 600 kB's happy day this for me ...

wspukn.png

Edited by Notstupid30

I'm seeing a lot of improvements with 3BB Premier line i've been given the 8285 / 1024 that's what been shown via D-link as we speak and i'm only paying 2500bht a month ..

Torrent speed has been going throw the roof also 8000 kB's down to about 600 kB's happy day this for me ...

ONLY 2500 per month?

That's right also don't mind paying that as it saves me loads on movies and tv shows and what not .. Plus also why i'm getting this sort of speed is because being with them for 5 years now even throw that time not really had any problems with them ..

That's right also don't mind paying that as it saves me loads on movies and tv shows and what not .. Plus also why i'm getting this sort of speed is because being with them for 5 years now even throw that time not really had any problems with them ..

I think you choose the wrong username, because with True online you will get a steady 8 Mb down for about a quarter of that price.

wspukn.png

i got the same and paying only 632 baht per month ;-) 3bb indy

I got the 3BB #2, 9/1, and all tests to US and Europe run about 10/1-1.5

I downloaded Safari browser a few days ago and was seeing 900mb and 1000mb speeds.

biased tests by a cache server in thailand, use dslreport to know your true US speed.

780kB/s (kiloBytes per second) is approximately equal to 8Mb/s (megabits per second)

I seriously doubt that any ISP in Thailand is offering 8MB/sec (MegaBytes/second)

A small or large B makes a world of difference

8 bits in 1 Byte :D

Speedtests are pretty pointless. What matters is maintaining bandwidth over time and this is what is affected by traffic-shaping, and poor connectivity outside of Thailand. These are the two areas where Thai ISPs fall over.

So now TOT can stick two fingers up at CAT when it comes to renting bandwidth or hardware and in the ensuing pseudo-political pissing contest between the state-owned entities, the subscriber will see bugger all change apart from higher prices.

780kB/s (kiloBytes per second) is approximately equal to 8Mb/s (megabits per second)

I seriously doubt that any ISP in Thailand is offering 8MB/sec (MegaBytes/second)

A small or large B makes a world of difference

8 bits in 1 Byte biggrin.png

I get 5MB/sec downloading torrents with True's 50Mb cable service so it could be possible with their 100Mb offering.