Why Are There Proportionately So Many More Brits Than Americans In Thailand?

FreedomDude

Many Americans have never heard of Thailand?

Must explain all the Thai resturants in the US. I even found them in small cities in Oklahoma.

Can they point it out on a map?

A lot of Englsh kids don't even know where France or Scotland are on a map when they leave school let alone Thailand!

Gee is that a fact?

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many Americans have never heard of Thailand?

Must explain all the Thai resturants in the US. I even found them in small cities in Oklahoma.

Can they point it out on a map?

A lot of Englsh kids don't even know where France or Scotland are on a map when they leave school let alone Thailand!

When you say a lot, do you mean 10? 100? a million?

Personally, I quantify all the facts (not all, but about 84%) of the facts that I invent, to give them bonus credibility.

Anyway, most kids nowadays wouldn't even know where the map was...

SC

• Like 1

Thanks for enduring my questions and for the link. I looked through the portfolio and other parts but didn't see anything about the 6.6 billion acres of land I have read about elsewhere. Does your head of State also run your Government? That's the primary job of our President and his ceremonial duties are minor in comparison and that's why we think of him as the President (limited to 8 years now) rather than a head of state (permanent elite).

Tourism revenue generated by the institution of the monarchy in the UK far exceeds any payments received by the royal family. In any case £226.5 million (2010) profit was passed to the Treasury by the Crown Estate that also exceeds payments received.

Thanks for enduring my questions and for the link. I looked through the portfolio and other parts but didn't see anything about the 6.6 billion acres of land I have read about elsewhere. Does your head of State also run your Government? That's the primary job of our President and his ceremonial duties are minor in comparison and that's why we think of him as the President (limited to 8 years now) rather than a head of state (permanent elite).

Tourism revenue generated by the institution of the monarchy in the UK far exceeds any payments received by the royal family. In any case £226.5 million (2010) profit was passed to the Treasury by the Crown Estate that also exceeds payments received.

Does anyone ever get worked up over envy of the institution of the US presidency?

SC

Does anyone ever get worked up over envy of the institution of the US presidency?

SC

I don't think envy is the right word. But a lot of people get worked up over the cost of his wife's vacations to Europe and England that cost more than a royal visit. Especially when there is so much poverty at home. The let them eat cake thing, don't you know. Americans didn't like Nixon's royal uniformed palace guard either. Americans prefer Harry Truman type people in high office as far as spending money goes. With the possible exception of Jackie who ended up with a Greek sexpat. Oh well what can you saywub.png

I reckon because in America if you get fed up with where you are then you can move to another state and it's like being in a completely different country but with all the advantages of a common language and currency.

Whereas everywhere is the same in England and although we have freedom of movement throughout the EU they talk funny and have a worthless currency.

So we Brits tend to move overseas but you Yanks tend to move within USA.

I can assure you that Wimbledon and Weybridge have absolutely nothing in common with Liverpool, thanks be to God. As far as I'm concerned Glasgow is abroad.

• Like 2

I reckon because in America if you get fed up with where you are then you can move to another state and it's like being in a completely different country but with all the advantages of a common language and currency.

Whereas everywhere is the same in England and although we have freedom of movement throughout the EU they talk funny and have a worthless currency.

So we Brits tend to move overseas but you Yanks tend to move within USA.

I can assure you that Wimbledon and Weybridge have absolutely nothing in common with Liverpool, thanks be to God. As far as I'm concerned Glasgow is abroad.

On behalf of Glasgwegians, I can second that. Thank God. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I'm sometimes bemused by the way that some Americans regard the UK. They seem to think that we live in the Middle Ages sitting round the village duckpond in our moleskin breeches sining 'Hey Nonny No' and doffing our caps to Liz when she rumbles past in the Carriage of State.

Pretty much, but they haven't even heard of most of those details; probably

Actually I think most Americans would probably be surprised to find that the UK was even still a real place, probably visualized mostly as one of the less interesting historical exhibits at Euro Disney. . .

But I'm sure they appreciate the exhibit's full support of our so-essential adventures battling the Evil Scourge of Islamic Terrorism, thanks so much for that. . .

So am I getting the hang of this "dry wit" shit yet?

It cant be dry wit when it is true

Again, thanks for the multitude of opinions. These 12 pages have been quite an entertaining read!

After reading ALL of the responses and weighing the strengths and implications of ALL points - good and bad - I've reached the following conclusion as the main cause for the disparity in British and American expat populations here:

British men just aren't that attracted to French and Indian women.

Again, thanks for the multitude of opinions. These 12 pages have been quite an entertaining read!

After reading ALL of the responses and weighing the strengths and implications of ALL points - good and bad - I've reached the following conclusion as the main cause for the disparity in British and American expat populations here:

I dont know about the froggie women..but have you seen some of the indian women...w00t.gif

I believe I should adjust my statement to also acknowledge the possiblity that French and Indian women don't really like British men!

I dont know about the froggie women..but have you seen some of the indian women...w00t.gif

I believe I should adjust my statement to also acknowledge the possiblity that French and Indian women don't really like British men!

French Canadian?

I have. And they are stunning. Ever wonder why Indian women win Miss World contests?

Wanna post a photo of your wife and see how she measures up against Miss Indias?

Do it. It'll make my day. I'll die laughing.

Cool

I am not sure about that, I think you will find that many of us English guys have a soft spot for French ladies and their accents are to die for!

There you go objectifying women again. There is so much more to a woman than an accident of birth. You aren't that old are you?

I am not sure about that, I think you will find that many of us English guys have a soft spot for French ladies and their accents are to die for!

There you go objectifying women again. There is so much more to a woman than an accident of birth. You aren't that old are you?

Kerry old chap keep your toupe on please... There has to be an attraction in the first place.. I said that I find the French accent very attractive, where the harm is that! It is not objectifying at all!

What is wrong with expressing positive view towards women of a certain nationality?

As a reminder, a few days ago you said "I like Italians".

We all know you love an argument but you look rather foolish when you argue against yourself.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Like 1

What is wrong with expressing positive view towards women of a certain nationality?

As a reminder, a few days ago you said "I like Italians".

We all know you love an argument but you look rather foolish when you argue against yourself.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Are you being obtuse today? Isn't it obvious? I like Farang women because of their big xxxxxxx. See what I mean? I like straight guys because they are neat and have clean apartments. Do you get it yet.

Oh and I argue with myself all the time. I am the only one whoever wins.

Edit I thought about it. I and you were right about the Italians. I am wrong about the above so forget about it. You are right and I'm wrong.

Edited by kerryk
  • Like 1

Jing has it mostly right in my view. It's very far here, there is only one direct flight (it's from LA) and even that is I think 17 hours. A flight from Florida to the West Coast is 4.5 hours non-stop or about 7 with a layover, then off to TH from there through NRT, HK, or Seoul for another 20 - 24 hours. It's a haul.

Then there is South/Central America that draws probably more expats than Thailand altogether and only increasing. That being said, I still like Thai food and Thai women more. Thailand is pretty nice too!

One thing I have noticed is that the age of the expat in Thailand keeps getting younger. What I can see happening is that so many young Westerners realize that they are like slaves in their own country. They get taxed to death to pay for the pensions and health benefits of the older generation. The problem is that the growth rate declines as an economy advanced. The USA baby boomers are expected to average benefits in medical care 3x-3.5x more than what they paid into Medicare adjusting for inflation. Of course, many of them paid in almost nothing and will average much more than that. Remember, that means someone else will pay for it... You can't expect to keep passing this on to every generation. It is like the old scheme where we form a line and you give me $2 and the next person gives you $2.5 and the next person gives him $3 and it keeps going so that everyone is profiting except that you need an infinite number of players in this game. Eventually it collapses.

So for my generation. We expect that we get to pay for this generations plush retirement and medical bills yet we expect to get nothing in return. So many of us are revolting from our chains and moving overseas.

All you hear from the baby boomers in the USA is "more", it really is a terrible situation.

Edited by farang000999

One thing I have noticed is that the age of the expat in Thailand keeps getting younger. What I can see happening is that so many young Westerners realize that they are like slaves in their own country. They get taxed to death to pay for the pensions and health benefits of the older generation. The problem is that the growth rate declines as an economy advanced. The USA baby boomers are expected to average benefits in medical care 3x-3.5x more than what they paid into Medicare adjusting for inflation. Of course, many of them paid in almost nothing and will average much more than that. Remember, that means someone else will pay for it... You can't expect to keep passing this on to every generation. It is like the old scheme where we form a line and you give me $2 and the next person gives you $2.5 and the next person gives him $3 and it keeps going so that everyone is profiting except that you need an infinite number of players in this game. Eventually it collapses.

So for my generation. We expect that we get to pay for this generations plush retirement and medical bills yet we expect to get nothing in return. So many of us are revolting from our chains and moving overseas.

All you hear from the baby boomers in the USA is "more", it really is a terrible situation.

Last week the Doctors in England went on strike for one day, reason being they had to work past the standard retirement age because people were living longer.

Well, duh, who caused that then?

The alternative for supporting the health and welfare needs for the aging generation is exactly what? No idea of your personal circumstances, but assume that whilst growing up you accessed the infrastructure & services paid for by the previous generations taxes. Education has been bypassed by you with such a moronic post.

Edited by simple1

Maybe you should try rereading what I wrote or do some googling.

I have re-read your post & doesn't change my view, your argument is a zero sum game i.e. "So for my generation. We expect that we get to pay for this generations plush retirement and medical bills yet we expect to get nothing in return. So many of us are revolting from our chains and moving overseas".

Love to know your definition of a "plush retirement" funded by government. In Australia their has been in place for a number of years compulsory superannuation for retirees to be self funding. However the funds currently required to support a fair lifestyle in retirement is around $750k to S1m that will mean contributions for the average salary earner of approx 30/35 years; this of course excludes medical care. I suggest the real issue is that government has not invested a proportion of tax payer funds over the years for the aging populations health & welfare needs. Funding is only provisioned out of the annual budget.

Last week the Doctors in England went on strike for one day, reason being they had to work past the standard retirement age because people were living longer.

90% of doctors snubbed their union and kept on working

One thing I have noticed is that the age of the expat in Thailand keeps getting younger. What I can see happening is that so many young Westerners realize that they are like slaves in their own country. They get taxed to death to pay for the pensions and health benefits of the older generation. ......................

I'll let others speak of the government pension schemes in their countries.

It the U.S. we call it Social Security. I've worked and been forced to pay into it for decades. One of the big problems with it is that money is NOT saved or invested for me (or YOU) to take out later in life. The government likes to make people think that is so. They even talk about your "social security account" and the "social security fund". The fact is that it is, and always has been, a "pay as you go system". The money paid in is paid out to current beneficiaries.

Also, when social security started, the ratio of workers to retirees was 13:1. Now it is 3:1. See the trend?

And people are living longer and end up collecting longer. When I started working and paying in to it; the promise was to start collecting full benefits at age 65. Now, for me, the "promise" has been already changed to age 67.

Politicians have also continually expanded the payment of benefits to "disabled" workers and expanded what is considered "disabled"; Drug and alcohol addiction, "stress" conditions, “depression”, etc, etc, blah blah blah. Telling voters that they are going to get more money is always a popular choice among politicians. The fact that it did not have to be paid for then, during their terms in office, but rather years down the road by people like you was an added upside for those politicians.

Very few politicians want to attempt to fix any of the problems with Social Security. It has become known as the "third rail" of American politics. Touch it and you die! The last time any politician came up with the courage to propose anything substantial to fix it was President G.W. Bush. We could argue all day long over the merits of the changes he proposed and still get nowhere. But at least he tried to DO SOMETHING about it. …In the end all we ended up with is a huge amount of demagoguery and scare mongering.

Nobody currently in Washington, DC has the courage to make any serious attempt to fix it. It will probably need to reach absolute crisis stage before anything meaningful is done.

90% of doctors snubbed their union and kept on working

I know.

I am trying to think of a reason to visit England. To watch a football match? To visit some museums? Dunno, going to England to see some museums sounds like a very boring vacation. Also, doesn't England have a massive welfare system? The women seem rather ugly. When you watch football matches the other team always seems to have hotter women cheering them on. The food? I mean, all I see outside of England is fish and chips (fast food) and meat pies. Terrible weather. Generally it just seems like a miserable place to live. And when the african youth decided to burn down the country what I mostly saw were people being apologetic and saying how terrible it was that the government did this to them and forced them to loot every tv in sight.

To get a job as a leader writer with the Daily Mail?

compared to you ,everyone else probably isnt "that old "

did you ever think when your were younger ,that one day you would actually be that grumpy old XXXX that moaned at younger people for absolutely everything ?

tell them all theyre wrong because youve been here for longer than they have and youve bla bla bla..........