Why Are There Proportionately So Many More Brits Than Americans In Thailand?

FreedomDude

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the fact that many more Americans don't have an outright tantrum over the fact that they, inexplicably, can't travel to Cuba is a very telling point in this discussion.

Shame about 1959 if I got it right, how many Americans would love a genuine cuban cigar

Edited by MB1

I personally think the fact that many more Americans don't have an outright tantrum over the fact that they, inexplicably, can't travel to Cuba is a very telling point in this discussion.

Shame about 1959 if I got it right, how many Americans would love a genuine cuban cigar

The funny part of it is if you go to Miami the same right wing Cubans who have forced this absurd travel ban on ALL Americans will happily SELL you a Cuban cigar (at an inflated price). Yes, really. Bloody hypocrites. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

They can travel to Cuba.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

They can travel to Cuba.

Not legally except for some specific limited exceptions.

They can travel to Cuba.

Not legally except for some specific limited exceptions.

Correct, not legally. But, very easy to do. Very low risk.

^Well, I mean that required the "cooperation" of the Cuban government, by not stamping US passports. Further, you say "easy" but unless you are rich it isn't so fun to fly up to Canada, and THEN fly to Cuba, if you get my drift. But yes, I agree... not legal but probably pretty easy (never done it), but people don't like to worry about the government coming after them when going on vacation.

Edited by meand

There is no legal prohibition on US citizens traveling by any method to Cuba. The 'ban' is actually enforcement of a US Treasury Department regulation that prohibits US citizens from spending US dollars on any aspect of a Cuban trip or, accepting payment by a third party for their trip and travel expenses in US dollars. Since the US has no physical presence to monitor compliance on the island beyond a proxy representation via the Swiss legation, they happily turn a blind eye to the fact that the US dollar is openly available and accepted legal tender on the island and is the 'best' currency for locals and legitimate tourists. Cuban immigration doesn't stamp a US citizens passport either. However, US immigration is very well versed on examining passports and travel itineraries that may indicate an unaccountable period of overseas travel in the region. That is why visiting Cuba while cruising offshore Gulf of Mexico is the preferred method of staying below the radar. If a US citizen is suspected to have been in Cuba, they will get a visit from the Treasury Department as the precursor to further legal action and prosecution by other government entities.

• Like 1

There is no legal prohibition on US citizens traveling by any method to Cuba. The 'ban' is actually enforcement of a US Treasury Department regulation that prohibits US citizens from spending US dollars on any aspect of a Cuban trip or, accepting payment by a third party for their trip and travel expenses in US dollars. Since the US has no physical presence to monitor compliance on the island beyond a proxy representation via the Swiss legation, they happily turn a blind eye to the fact that the US dollar is openly available and accepted legal tender on the island and is the 'best' currency for locals and legitimate tourists. Cuban immigration doesn't stamp a US citizens passport either. However, US immigration is very well versed on examining passports and travel itineraries that may indicate an unaccountable period of overseas travel in the region. That is why visiting Cuba while cruising offshore Gulf of Mexico is the preferred method of staying below the radar. If a US citizen is suspected to have been in Cuba, they will get a visit from the Treasury Department as the precursor to further legal action and prosecution by other government entities.

So you can get on a plane to Cuba "legally", but if you spend a dime there it's illegal. Not to mention there are no flights, even though it is "legal". So it is effectively a travel ban, but that is good info. Any way you slice it, it is kind of outrageous, and Americans don't seem to care in the slightest, is the point.

Edited by meand

The funny part of it is if you go to Miami the same right wing Cubans who have forced this absurd travel ban on ALL Americans will happily SELL you a Cuban cigar (at an inflated price). Yes, really. Bloody hypocrites.

President John F. Kennedy extended measures by Executive Order, first widening the scope of the trade restrictions on February 8 announced on February 3 and again on March 23, 1962.

In 1999, U.S. President Bill Clinton expanded the trade embargo even further.

So you can get on a plane to Cuba "legally", but if you spend a dime there it's illegal. Not to mention there are no flights, even though it is "legal". So it is effectively a travel ban, but that is good info. Any way you slice it, it is kind of outrageous, and Americans don't seem to care in the slightest, is the point.

There are 1,000,000 Cubans in Miami and with them food and cigars. They were making fine cigars in Tampa with Cuban rollers 100 years ago. I really think the reason Americans don't care is Miami is just like Cuba with better food.

The only people old enough to really miss the Cuba of old like me have gone to Thailand or other places where there are few restrictions on living.

The funny part of it is if you go to Miami the same right wing Cubans who have forced this absurd travel ban on ALL Americans will happily SELL you a Cuban cigar (at an inflated price). Yes, really. Bloody hypocrites.

President John F. Kennedy extended measures by Executive Order, first widening the scope of the trade restrictions on February 8 announced on February 3 and again on March 23, 1962.

In 1999, U.S. President Bill Clinton expanded the trade embargo even further.

Under JFK, there was a war on. Long time ago. The all US presidents since JFK have kept this silliness up is pressure from the voting block of right wing Cubans in Florida. At this point, even the majority of Cubans in Florida don't support restrictions any more! I predict Obama will end all the restrictions after he is reelected.

I didnt realise Cuba was part of Thailand chaps...?whistling.gif ....further more didnt realise they roll cuban cigars in Thailand either...thumbsup.gif

Boy you read funny. Good thing I didn't mention Jeb Bush who used to work for a Cuban guy and has a Mexican wife. Or the cigar store on Soi 7 in Bangkok. Actually till Obama I think Bush was the most pro Cuban president the US had. I almost wish JT hadn't thrown this thread out of whack by talking about right wing Cubans. Because now you think Cuba is part of Thailand.

• Like 1

I didnt realise Cuba was part of Thailand chaps...?whistling.gif ....further more didnt realise they roll cuban cigars in Thailand either...thumbsup.gif

Boy you read funny. Good thing I didn't mention Jeb Bush who used to work for a Cuban guy and has a Mexican wife. Or the cigar store on Soi 7 in Bangkok. Actually till Obama I think Bush was the most pro Cuban president the US had. I almost wish JT hadn't thrown this thread out of whack by talking about right wing Cubans. Because now you think Cuba is part of Thailand.

Well done mate..you have responded to one of my posts without accusing me of spouting "Vile Anti-American Rhetoric"....thumbsup.gif..things must be looking up

BTW Castro is not a bad chappie...very misunderstood...tongue.png ....but do we think there are more Brits visit Cuba than American's...in a subtle attempt to get this thread back on topic..whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Well done mate..you have responded top one of my posts without accusing me of spouting "Vile Anti-American Rhetoric"....thumbsup.gif..things must be looking up

BTW Castro is not a bad chappie...very misunderstood...tongue.png ....but do we think there are more Brits visit Cuba than American's...in a subtle attempt to get this thread back on topic..whistling.gif

Actually Canadians go there by the thousands. Brits go to Florida.

Well done mate..you have responded top one of my posts without accusing me of spouting "Vile Anti-American Rhetoric"....thumbsup.gif..things must be looking up

Actually Canadians go there by the thousands. Brits go to Florida.

Not if you are a ski fan, then we go to Canada.

Call the typical American these days a "septic" and he'll reply, dam_n right I'm a skeptic, don't believe in that there global warming!

I don't think that's true. I think a typical American would say "how do you get septic from American or Yank"? I think a typical Brit would then say "It's the cockney rhyming slang, what?". Then the typical American would say "uhhuh, but septic doesn't rhyme with American or Yank". I think the typical Brit would say "blimey, Yank rhymes with septic tank and since there's no deprecative value in calling you tanks we call you septics instead" Then I suppose the typical American would say "you know Brit rhymes with shit don't you"? That's when the typical Brit says "you bloody septics don't understand this cockney rhyming slang at all".

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 2

I'm American and I've been to Cuba. It's not that hard.

Not for savvy international travelers. Rules out most Americans!
  • Like 1

It is due to the old British empire: after the war, many people from the British empire emigrated to the U.K to boost the workforce. so brits have been exposed to more cultures, so are more likely to travel abroad. The most commonly eaten dishes in the U.K are now chinese and indian curries, due to the immigrants from Hong Kong and the Indian continent.

Call the typical American these days a "septic" and he'll reply, dam_n right I'm a skeptic, don't believe in that there global warming!

I don't think that's true. I think a typical American would say "how do you get septic from American or Yank"? I think a typical Brit would then say "It's the cockney rhyming slang, what?". Then the typical American would say "uhhuh, but septic doesn't rhyme with American or Yank". I think the typical Brit would say "blimey, Yank rhymes with septic tank and since there's no deprecative value in calling you tanks we call you septics instead" Then I suppose the typical American would say "you know Brit rhymes with shit don't you"? That's when the typical Brit says "you bloody septics don't understand this cockney rhyming slang at all".

I don't understand your point. Also, I think that you don't understand the rhyming slang. The part of the rhyming pair that is used is the part that doesn't rhyme, as in plates, or apples, or in this case, septic. So a more appropriate counter-example would be to refer to Brits as horses. Or ladyboys' breasts, because Brits rhymes with 'joke tits'

SC

It is due to the old British empire: after the war, many people from the British empire emigrated to the U.K to boost the workforce. so brits have been exposed to more cultures, so are more likely to travel abroad. The most commonly eaten dishes in the U.K are now chinese and indian curries, due to the immigrants from Hong Kong and the Indian continent.

And the outstanding qualities of our o

(2:05)

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I don't understand your point. Also, I think that you don't understand the rhyming slang. The part of the rhyming pair that is used is the part that doesn't rhyme, as in plates, or apples, or in this case, septic. So a more appropriate counter-example would be to refer to Brits as horses. Or ladyboys' breasts, because Brits rhymes with 'joke tits'

SC

I bow to the master as I'm gonna have to study on that a bit. Is there a crib sheet published somewhere I might refer to? Anything that works with wanke_rs or effete <deleted>?.

SC

I bow to the master as I'm gonna have to study on that a bit. Is there a crib sheet published somewhere I might refer to? Anything that works with

?. (SC: Link added)

We don't really use cockney rhyming slang in Scotland - its more of a cockney thing, but we're brought up to understand other cultures

SC

That's wrong. America is fantastically multicultural. That's a reason Americans travel less. So much is already THERE. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

SC

I bow to the master as I'm gonna have to study on that a bit. Is there a crib sheet published somewhere I might refer to? Anything that works with

We don't really use cockney rhyming slang in Scotland - its more of a cockney thing, but we're brought up to understand other cultures

SC

My grandmother who died before I was born was from Sterling. I've been there and didn't wonder why she thought San Francisco might hold more in store for her. Loved the coast in winter and summer and the highlands though.

Ex scoooooos me.... the Indian curries that are known and loved to this day, were not created by Indians..... Well, they may have given names to them, but have little resemblance to the scraps of meat in a mud sauce they used to be.

They same way that the Welsh invented the condom in 1873, but the English perfected it later by removing it from the sheep first.

• Like 2

SC

My grandmother who died before I was born was from Sterling. I've been there and didn't wonder why she thought San Francisco might hold more in store for her. Loved the coast in winter and summer and the highlands though.

That's sterling, but the city in Scotland is Stirling.

95% of Scots think their country is the best in the world (remember, Trainspotting was a work of fiction) and 15% would live there, if they had to.

SC