Why Are There Proportionately So Many More Brits Than Americans In Thailand?

FreedomDude

It is due to the old British empire: after the war, many people from the British empire emigrated to the U.K to boost the workforce. so brits have been exposed to more cultures, so are more likely to travel abroad. The most commonly eaten dishes in the U.K are now chinese and indian curries, due to the immigrants from Hong Kong and the Indian continent.

That's wrong. America is fantastically multicultural. That's a reason Americans travel less. So much is already THERE.

I don't think there's a civilization on Earth that isn't present in the US of A's multicultural society. After a generation or two they are assimilated into the melting pot.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bow to the master as I'm gonna have to study on that a bit. Is there a crib sheet published somewhere I might refer to? Anything that works with

?. (SC: Link added)

We don't really use cockney rhyming slang in Scotland - its more of a cockney thing, but we're brought up to understand other cultures

SC

My grandmother who died before I was born was from Sterling. I've been there and didn't wonder why she thought San Francisco might hold more in store for her. Loved the coast in winter and summer and the highlands though.

That's sterling, but the city in Scotland is Stirling.

SC

I knew that, sorry.

It is due to the old British empire: after the war, many people from the British empire emigrated to the U.K to boost the workforce. so brits have been exposed to more cultures, so are more likely to travel abroad. The most commonly eaten dishes in the U.K are now chinese and indian curries, due to the immigrants from Hong Kong and the Indian continent.

That's wrong. America is fantastically multicultural. That's a reason Americans travel less. So much is already THERE.

I don't think there's a civilization on Earth that isn't present in the US of A's multicultural society. After a generation or two they are assimilated into the melting pot.

That's an exaggeration. Yes there is assimilation as an American ideal, but the reality on the ground is a lot different.

Call the typical American these days a "septic" and he'll reply, dam_n right I'm a skeptic, don't believe in that there global warming!

I don't think that's true. I think a typical American would say "how do you get septic from American or Yank"? I think a typical Brit would then say "It's the cockney rhyming slang, what?". Then the typical American would say "uhhuh, but septic doesn't rhyme with American or Yank". I think the typical Brit would say "blimey, Yank rhymes with septic tank and since there's no deprecative value in calling you tanks we call you septics instead" Then I suppose the typical American would say "you know Brit rhymes with shit don't you"? That's when the typical Brit says "you bloody septics don't understand this cockney rhyming slang at all".

I don't understand your point. Also, I think that you don't understand the rhyming slang. The part of the rhyming pair that is used is the part that doesn't rhyme, as in plates, or apples, or in this case, septic. So a more appropriate counter-example would be to refer to Brits as horses. Or ladyboys' breasts, because Brits rhymes with 'joke tits'

SC

I bow to the master as I'm gonna have to study on that a bit. Is there a crib sheet published somewhere I might refer to? Anything that works with wanke_rs or effete <deleted>?.

CRS for wank*r is a Merchant Banker

CRS for A/hole is a Jam Roll

I think it is two different cases: America is a country of immigrants, where the immigrants overwhelmed the native Americans, and cultures have become more mixed. Whilst in the U.K, it was not multicultural at all before the war, and it has only become so after.

That's an exaggeration. Yes there is assimilation as an American ideal, but the reality on the ground is a lot different.

You're telling me that one to two generations later they're not assimilated? I'm calling bullshit on that, and I've got countless examples, much to their parents dismay. The Hmong, one of the most difficult to asssimilate cultures on Earth now have doctors lawyers and politicians amongst them. I'm not sure how the New Guinea folks are coming along.

Edited by lannarebirth

I think it is two different cases: America is a country of immigrants, where the immigrants overwhelmed the native Americans, and cultures have become more mixed. Whilst in the U.K, it was not multicultural at all before the war, and it has only become so after.

That's a fair assessment.

Anything that works with wanke_rs or effete <deleted>?.

He's a bit of a merchant for the first and chocolate prophet for the second.

It's a mindbender Thad. I hope your schools are offering a Masters program innit.

Sorry LR, Edwin explained the Merchant Banker one (you can also use Barclays) as you used the word effete, I went for the ORS of Profiteroles.

• Like 1

The USA is massively multicultural -- today. New York City, our greatest city includes 35 percent foreign born residents. Like I said, the world is largely already there in the USA and there is less reason to travel. Living in Thailand I get MUCH BETTER Chinese food back on my trips to the USA than in Thailand, so much closer to China. And I don't mean Americanized Chinese food. One example.

I also feel the breadth of the multiculturalism in the USA is much wider than in the UK.

I didn't mean to suggest that third generation Thai Americans are using squat toilets!

Edited by Jingthing

I bow to the master as I'm gonna have to study on that a bit. Is there a crib sheet published somewhere I might refer to? Anything that works with

?. (SC: Link added)

We don't really use cockney rhyming slang in Scotland - its more of a cockney thing, but we're brought up to understand other cultures

SC

My grandmother who died before I was born was from Sterling. I've been there and didn't wonder why she thought San Francisco might hold more in store for her. Loved the coast in winter and summer and the highlands though.

95% of Scots think their country is the best in the world (remember, Trainspotting was a work of fiction) and 15% would live there, if they had to.

SC

Where do the Scottish Lassies go?

With so many proportionally Scots men 'over here', by definition, that must leave so many more Lassies back home 'over there' ?

95% of Scots think their country is the best in the world (remember, Trainspotting was a work of fiction) and 15% would live there, if they had to.

SC

Where do the Scottish Lassies go?

With so many proportionally Scots men 'over here', by definition, that must leave so many more Lassies back home 'over there' ?

I think you might find that Scots are represented in similar proportion amongst our female members (if I can use that turn of phrase on a public forum).

SC

Also, due to the old British empire, the British passport gave you easier and longer entry into many countries. It also allowed Brits to work in many countries, which mean't longer stays. For example, before the handover, Brits could live and work in Hong Kong for 12 months on just a British passport alone, and it was easily extended, so many stayed for much longer.

I also feel the breadth of the multiculturalism in the USA is much wider than in the UK.

So why do a significant proportion of them want to stick another word before American?

To emphasise the breadth of their multi-culturalism.

SC

Also, due to the old British empire, the British passport gave you easier and longer entry into many countries. It also allowed Brits to work in many countries, which mean't longer stays. For example, before the handover, Brits could live and work in Hong Kong for 12 months on just a British passport alone, and it was easily extended, so many stayed for much longer.

Good point, there is a common perception among many that the Empire was a bad thing and is still resented, many people I have met in former Commonwealth countries don't think that, in fact they think the opposite. It's strange though how people tend to believe " universal truths ".

Edited by theblether

Good point, there is a common perception among many that the Empire was a bad thing and is still resented, many people I have met in former Commonwealth countries don't think that, in fact they think the opposite. It's strange though how people tend to believe " universal truths ".

I know the Australians are eternally gratefulrolleyes.giftongue.png

So why do a significant proportion of them want to stick another word before American?

That's what multiculturism is all about. Sticking another word in front. It disappears in a generation or so.

A " Bad Thing" depends on one's perspective. I think there are many in the Iraqui political, military and merchant class that see America's adventure in their country as a a "good thing". At the same time there may be many in lower classes that judged their lives not so fulfilling under the old regime but still their relatives weren't getting blown up. The difference between the American's and the British was the timing. The Brits could go in and secure valuable resources and start their own companies exploiting those resources and local labor. The American's tend to buy their way in corporation by corporation after the military has softened resistance. Eventually the bombing stops when the population is subsumed, though that can take many years sometimes.

Edited by lannarebirth

Down south (London) to get work David and to look for real menrolleyes.gif

London is the multicultural centre of Europe.

Oh please. London is full of beer like piss and big girl's blouses. It's worse than Australia.

Oh please. London is full of beer like piss and big girl's blouses. It's worse than Australia.

That bad is it? Let's take it up a notch and discuss the shortcomings of Australians.

Seriously now ... yep, I know we all hate that word here.

I've lived in the States, the UK and Ireland so have a fair understanding of the lay of the various lands ... but that was 20 years ago.

Many a time when I have commented about the UK here, many a member have tapped me on the shoulder and says 'sonny ... the UK has changed a lot since you last pissed in a potty there'.

So it goes to the core of the OP's question ... what has changed so much about the UK that makes living in Thailand a viable and apparently appealing option?

OH ... just for interest ... favourite European country for it's people ... the Dutch ... just a fondness for their relatively mild manner, amazing language skills and incredible adaptability yet maintain that unique 'Dutchness' to them.

That bad is it? Let's take it up a notch and discuss the shortcomings of Australians.

That could be interesting but, you need a few of them to bite back and it's Winter and 5.30 on a Sunday morning there and anyone worth having a pissing contest with is well tucked up and won't be up and about for many an hour yet.

Anyway ... that discussion would be restricted to one liners anyway ... not much to discuss there.

How much time have you got?

• Like 1

Because- if an American takes enough time off for a decent trip to Thailand or anywhere you have to cross an ocean, his employer is pretty likely to decide they don't really need him.

Dangerous in an American career to take long vacations... So we take short jaunts to closer locales.

Besides:

We have Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Southern California, Alaska, The Smokey Mountains and... and... and...

It's pretty easy to live your entire life, vacation somewhere great every year and never go to the same place twice- all without a passport.

Wanna cross a border? We have Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica, The Virgin Islands and.. and.. and... all within a few hours by air- no 20 hour flights required.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Only about 20% of Americans even have a passport.......................

30 percent now.

The percentage is higher for those that have ever had a passport. Historically most Americans get their passport in order to serve overseas in the military and then let it lapse. Currently percentages are indeed higher, but the fact is a much higher percentage of Yanks have been involved in our current/recent conflicts, not only as soldiers but private contractors. And also more places require a passport to get to that didn't used to, Canada for cheaper drugs, little island states in the Caribbean etc. Texas will probably require one soon. . .

If you ask the average American why they don't go overseas - and I'm just talking a short holiday - the answer would be "why would I ever want to do that?"

Out of those that do travel overseas regularly very very few would even want to consider living abroad, and out of that tiny percentage 99% of them would be considering Europe or maybe Australia/NZ, certainly not a third world country like Thailand.

Generally Americans consider their standards and way of life "the way the world should be" to an even greater extent than other nationalities, they're usually not willing to open up their minds to the degree necessary to adapt to living in other circumstances, and therefore very few places "measure up".

thats not true ...historicaly your military id card was your passport ..... it's not until 911 that military passports were issued to military folks .... the brown ones .... and most seem to have the blue one as well im not sure why

Only about 20% of Americans even have a passport.......................

30 percent now.

The percentage is higher for those that have ever had a passport. Historically most Americans get their passport in order to serve overseas in the military and then let it lapse. Currently percentages are indeed higher, but the fact is a much higher percentage of Yanks have been involved in our current/recent conflicts, not only as soldiers but private contractors. And also more places require a passport to get to that didn't used to, Canada for cheaper drugs, little island states in the Caribbean etc. Texas will probably require one soon. . .

If you ask the average American why they don't go overseas - and I'm just talking a short holiday - the answer would be "why would I ever want to do that?"

Out of those that do travel overseas regularly very very few would even want to consider living abroad, and out of that tiny percentage 99% of them would be considering Europe or maybe Australia/NZ, certainly not a third world country like Thailand.

Generally Americans consider their standards and way of life "the way the world should be" to an even greater extent than other nationalities, they're usually not willing to open up their minds to the degree necessary to adapt to living in other circumstances, and therefore very few places "measure up".

thats not true ...historicaly your military id card was your passport ..... it's not until 911 that military passports were issued to military folks .... the brown ones .... and most seem to have the blue one as well im not sure why

One reason is that the blue one does not automatically identify you as working for the U.S. government. In the 1980s, people in my unit were advised to get a regular blue passport. This was after the hijacking of TWA 847 by a gang of Pigsbollah vermin. The piglicking vermin singled out Navy Seebee Robert Dean Stethem and killed him.

before the handover, Brits could live and work in Hong Kong for 12 months on just a British passport alone, and it was easily extended, so many stayed for much longer.

Not quite true, a British pp made it easier to work in HK, and stay there for extended periods, but having the passport wasnt the only requirement. just having a British PP did not give you "right of residence" or the "right to work" in HK

Edited by Soutpeel