Why Are There Proportionately So Many More Brits Than Americans In Thailand?

FreedomDude

The main reason there's not a lot of Americans in TH is what we have in our own hemisphere. Canada to the north if you like to freeze your ass off but beautiful nonetheless, Mexico and Central and South America for the beautiful women, cheap food and cheap accommodations. The Caribbean with the best beaches and resorts in the world. And then of course the US itself with every climate and terrain imaginable. So with all that I can see why most Americans don't venture too far from home. And yes, believe it or not, some of us know where Thailand is on the map, even a dumbass Midwesterner (Indiana.. Whoot!!) like me as someone suggested earlier.

But since I've been to Thailand 3 times in the last 9 months, I love it and plan to retire there with my soon to be Thai wife.

• Like 2

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason there's not a lot of Americans in TH is what we have in our own hemisphere. Canada to the north if you like to freeze your ass off but beautiful nonetheless, Mexico and Central and South America for the beautiful women, cheap food and cheap accommodations. The Caribbean with the best beaches and resorts in the world. And then of course the US itself with every climate and terrain imaginable. So with all that I can see why most Americans don't venture too far from home. And yes, believe it or not, some of us know where Thailand is on the map, even a dumbass Midwesterner (Indiana.. Whoot!!) like me as someone suggested earlier.

But since I've been to Thailand 3 times in the last 9 months, I love it and plan to retire there with my soon to be Thai wife.

Don't tell anyone but Vancouver Island and Victoria BC have a more temperate climate than many Southern States in the US and the best fishing both fresh and saltwater in the world. And the best hunting. And the best hot buttered tarts.

Don't tell anyone but Vancouver Island and Victoria BC have a more temperate climate than many Southern States in the US and the best fishing both fresh and saltwater in the world. And the best hunting. And the best hot buttered tarts.

But the women ............... :(

But the women ............... sad.png

It has been a while since I lived there but speaking of tarts the professional ladies in Vancouver were the prettiest in the world when I was a younger man.

It has been a while since I lived there but speaking of tarts the professional ladies in Vancouver were the prettiest in the world when I was a younger man.

OK. If we're talking professionals, then perhaps... I prefer the variety of Quebec, but that's another topic.

OK. If we're talking professionals, then perhaps... I prefer the variety of Quebec, but that's another topic.

I was on a ski holiday, eating country French Quebec crepes and drinking beer with some kind of fruit liquor in a glass when I met my first French stripper in Montreal. It's like the first time one has Cuban coffee in Miami with a Cuban dancer on a nude beach at sunrise. It is just a 4 hour plane ride (Canada to Florida), if memory serves. When I was a kid we used to take a boat to Cuba as dad liked the rum. Cuba is only 1 1/2 hours by speed boat. The Bahamas the same but a different direction. While the Brits were in charge Nassau was the place to have a vacation home close to Florida, 30 min by air.

• Like 1

I love the fact that people are having a pop at the UK, trying to get a reaction and the other country what is it? oh yes America. If we gave a <deleted> we wouldn't be on this forum or shacked up in Thailand :-) :-)

I love the fact that people are having a pop at the UK, trying to get a reaction and the other country what is it? oh yes America. If we gave a <deleted> we wouldn't be on this forum or shacked up in Thailand :-) :-)

Brits can take a lot more flak IMO than the yanks, we are thicker skinned and insults are like water of a ducks back, some of us don't give a flying duck and sure don't go crying to mummy when called nasty names. Most Canadians I've met have a similar sense of humour to Brits and enjoy and can handle a good drink. Most yanks I've met are pis*sed at the smell of the bar mans apron.

Let battle commence.:blink:

As for Canadian women I've sampled them and are far better IMO than American women.

Edited by MB1

Mexico is why.

Actually, this very short reply is probably the most pertinent. In North America, we have our Thailand right to the south. Indeed the women are much sexier (and better in bed), the weather is nice (Mexico, Costa Rica, Columbia, etc), and the food is also among the most diverse in the world. Oh, it's also cheap. Oh, the beer is better, too. Oh, the locals speak more English, too. It is probably less safe, though (in many of the countries to the south of the border).

Not probably. Definitely less safe.

Because most British people

a) realise that there is more than one country in the world

cool.png have passports (or even know what one is)

.... oh and yes, they have Mexico to go for their sex tours which is closer and cheaper when all told.

Hundreds of thousands of nudists and swingers in the US. Sex is free. Not much reason to travel for sex.

Oh god, if you only knew. I'd have to say the women in US and UK are equally prudish (guessing really). I'd also guess the male populations are equally horny/frustrated (=very) -- everyone is supposedly a serial killer or has aids nowadays. <deleted> nightmare.

Anyway, i'd say those are a wash. Thailand is simply one of the closest and cheapest places to go to get the groove on, and lets face it, these brits are cheap bastards smile.png Really though, no matter what tourists are traveling for, Americans have many more closer options.

"Thailand is simply one of the closest and cheapest places to go to get the groove on," giggle.gif

"these brits are cheap bastards" violin.gifcoffee1.gif

I reckon because in America if you get fed up with where you are then you can move to another state and it's like being in a completely different country but with all the advantages of a common language and currency.

Whereas everywhere is the same in England and although we have freedom of movement throughout the EU they talk funny and have a worthless currency.

So we Brits tend to move overseas but you Yanks tend to move within USA.

From my experience living in the UK, you could move 20 miles and feel like you were in another country ,,, at least from a language point of view.

• Like 2

I reckon because in America if you get fed up with where you are then you can move to another state and it's like being in a completely different country but with all the advantages of a common language and currency.

Whereas everywhere is the same in England and although we have freedom of movement throughout the EU they talk funny and have a worthless currency.

So we Brits tend to move overseas but you Yanks tend to move within USA.

From my experience living in the UK, you could move 20 miles and feel like you were in another country ,,, at least from a language point of view.

Not even that far. Dialect can change from village to village,

Most Americans only travel abroad in a uniform.

61.5 million non military trips outside of the US in 2009. Why don't you just come out and put it in your avatar, "I hate Americans." So to sum up you are wrong 61.5 million times.

Honestly I believe the answer is simply lack of vacation time.

and a lack of a passport in 80% + of the population

If you can't get the vacation time to make it worth a trip outside the US, why bother getting a passport?

Getting a passport in the US is rather simple.

1421.jpg

My gosh, are you that jealous? To repeat 61.5 million non military trips outside of the US. Not only are you a little wrong but 61.5 million times wrong.

.... oh and yes, they have Mexico to go for their sex tours which is closer and cheaper when all told.

Hundreds of thousands of nudists and swingers in the US. Sex is free. Not much reason to travel for sex.

But they do!! whistling.gif

Only to see you Sempersmile.png

1421.jpg

My gosh, are you that jealous? To repeat 61.5 million non military trips outside of the US. Not only are you a little wrong but 61.5 million times wrong.

Not jealous, its called having the ability to laugh at oneself.. My father is a Yank but he has an amazing sense of humour!

1421.jpg

Not jealous, its called having the ability to laugh at oneself.. My father is a Yank but he has an amazing sense of humour!

I am not an Aussie.

Only to see you Sempersmile.png

Well, you know the smog in CM, can't see much really.

61.5 million non military trips outside of the US in 2009. Why don't you just come out and put it in your avatar, "I hate Americans." So to sum up you are wrong 61.5 million times.

About 71% of Brits have a passport. How many Americans.? dam_n I forgot the founding farthers just invaded.

About 30 percent of Americans have passports (with a huge spike in recent years due to changing laws) and like I said a significant percentage of the foreign travel is to Canada and Mexico. To me the big issue is VACATION TIME. Imagine if Americans had a month off by law. It would reduce unemployment and stimulate the economy, because still most Americans would spend their tourism dollars in the USA.

http://articles.cnn....es?_s=PM:TRAVEL

There's another aspect mentioned in this article that I think isn't mentioned enough. Within the USA there is a fantastic global diversity. World "travel" at home.

While plenty of home bound Americans are culturally narrow and intellectually incurious, there are also plenty of worldly types as well, world class Vietnamese for lunch, world class Ethiopian for dinner, then go out to a Mexican gay nightclub and a Filipino after party.

Edited by Jingthing

About 30 percent of Americans have passports (with a huge spike in recent years due to changing laws) and like I said a significant percentage of the foreign travel is to Canada and Mexico. To me the big issue is VACATION TIME. Imagine if Americans had a month off by law. It would reduce unemployment and stimulate the economy, because still most Americans would spend their tourism dollars in the USA.

http://articles.cnn....es?_s=PM:TRAVEL

I was reading that article earlier today and didn't get around to posting it. But this summary in the article pretty well explains it.

Tourism experts and avid travelers attribute Americans' lack of interest in international travel to a few key factors, including: the United States' own rich cultural and geographic diversity, an American skepticism and/or ignorance about international destinations, a work culture that prevents Americans from taking long vacations abroad and the prohibitive cost and logistics of going overseas.

Several million Americans (and Canadians) are what is termed "snowbirds". Each year they move to the SW and SE of the United States and to Mexico during the winter months. They are not unadventurous but they found what they were looking for closer to home.

• Like 1