Why Are There Proportionately So Many More Brits Than Americans In Thailand?

FreedomDude

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, in expat havens like Cuenca Ecuador the expats are mostly Americans.

Yep, the majority of the expats in Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama and Colombia are all Norte Americanos.

Not to mention no tuktuks, jet ski mafia, bent cops, ludicrous visa requirements, etc....

I am impressed 57 posts and everyone is still playing nicely on this thread....thumbsup.gif

Nobody wants to speak ill of the dam_n Brits. People beat down the Americans (US) all the time. The "other" North Americans never even get a mention.

• Like 1

Mexico is why.

Great answer - many Brits come to LOS for sun, sea, sand and, lets be honest, companionship and few even for drugs or steroids - as do people of all nationalities in fairness. Mexico does these things better and cheaper - many US college students in California/Texas etc even party in Mexico 'on the weekend' - imagine if Brits had that option - long-haul flights would lose their appeal.

They kind of do. It's called the costa del sol. Who do you find there apart from the Spanish? Yet again not many Americans. tongue.png

I am impressed 57 posts and everyone is still playing nicely on this thread....thumbsup.gif

Nobody wants to speak ill of the dam_n Brits. People beat down the Americans (US) all the time. The "other" North Americans never even get a mention.

The "other" north american's are pseudo-Brits anyway....the problem with the Canooks is that they are so f*kcing polite and PC...laugh.png

You will note that no one rags on the Aussie too...just a bit a light jesting usually to do with being convicts and they take it in good humour

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Playing nicely? I'm glad to see treating Americans as the whipping boy is playing nicely smile.png

Honestly I believe the answer is simply lack of vacation time. I've heard two weeks mentioned a few times, but if you are any sort of professional you can't actually be gone for two weeks. If you are a blue collar worker you don't get paid if you are gone. So for either group being gone more then 3 or 4 days is generally not possible.

Edited by akspace

Thailand is just so far it is less on the radar. There are a LOT of Spanish classes in high school and college in the states too, some even required. Also, easy to eat and drink in Mexico, not so much in central and south America though, at least for the average American. Peru is a real standout on cuisine though, wow. Ability to drive, proximity i'm sure has a lot to do with it. A top notch Mexican hooker will cost you 100 bucks for about 20 minutes though -- I heard that on the oprah winphrey show anyway, I would have no idea myself. If you ever want a first hand answer to this question, try "paris de noche" in Ensenada... again, not first hand experience, I saw it on oprah.

Playing nicely? I'm glad to see treating Americans as the whipping boy is playing nicely smile.png

Honestly I believe the answer is simply lack of vacation time. I've heard two weeks mentioned a few times, but if you are any sort of professional you can't actually be gone for two weeks. If you are a blue collar worker you don't get paid if you are gone. So for either group being gone more then 3 or 4 days is generally not possible.

sometimes the truth hurts. Ha ha

You only have 17 posts boyo...I can assure you this is playing nicely thumbsup.gif ....but please have your say...but if you want to use the phase "Vile anti-American rhetoric" please talk to "Kerryk" as believe he coined this phrase on TV and uses it extensively...whistling.gif

A top notch Mexican hooker will cost you 100 bucks for about 20 minutes though -- I heard that on the oprah winphrey show anyway, I would have no idea myself. If you ever want a first hand answer to this question, try "paris de noche" in Ensenada... again, not first hand experience, I saw it on oprah.

wink.png ....tongue.png

Most Americans would end up in Taiwan with their general lack of knowledge of anything outside its own borders

About twice as many Americans have passports than the total population of the UK. 117,014,020 American passport holders. W JERSEY 68.36% ALASKA 65.01% MASSACHUSETTS 63.42% NEW YORK 62.47% CALIFORNIA 60.19% NEW HAMPSHIRE 59.39% CONNECTICUT 58.50% WASHINGTON 57.28% VERMONT 56.32% MARYLAND 56.21% MINNESOTA 56.14% COLORADO 54.88% RHODE ISLAND 54.40% FLORIDA 52.83% ILLINOIS 52.06% MAINE 51.62% ARIZONA 51.24% HAWAII 49.94%

• Like 1

Because most British people

a) realise that there is more than one country in the world

cool.png have passports (or even know what one is)

.... oh and yes, they have Mexico to go for their sex tours which is closer and cheaper when all told.

Hundreds of thousands of nudists and swingers in the US. Sex is free. Not much reason to travel for sex.

Most Americans would end up in Taiwan with their general lack of knowledge of anything outside its own borders

About twice as many Americans have passports than the total population of the UK. 117,014,020 American passport holders. W JERSEY 68.36% ALASKA 65.01% MASSACHUSETTS 63.42% NEW YORK 62.47% CALIFORNIA 60.19% NEW HAMPSHIRE 59.39% CONNECTICUT 58.50% WASHINGTON 57.28% VERMONT 56.32% MARYLAND 56.21% MINNESOTA 56.14% COLORADO 54.88% RHODE ISLAND 54.40% FLORIDA 52.83% ILLINOIS 52.06% MAINE 51.62% ARIZONA 51.24% HAWAII 49.94%

Nice try Kerry....but lets have the total number of PP against the total US population...

I have saved you the trouble...

"Assuming that everyone who’s been issued a passport over the last ten years still has it, that’s 60,884,784 people with US passports. Given the US population is around 280 million, that gives us 21.7 per cent owning passports. Taking into account some of these will be five year passports"

Update: From the comments, the Economist has a subscriber-only article that states 34% of Americans over the age of 18 own passports, but cite no source for this. By comparison, it says 41% of Canadians over 18 have passports. (10 Sep 2005)

According to State data, about 28 percent of the U.S. population has a passport, with 85.5 million U.S. passports in circulation as of February 2008.

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Honestly I believe the answer is simply lack of vacation time.

and a lack of a passport in 80% + of the population

I personally don't know a single person without a passport. But anecdotes are not data, in any case the real data shows about 33% of Americans hold a passport, or 110 million of us.

Edit:

Added a link because I know you won't take my word for it.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

Edited by akspace

W JERSEY 68.36% ALASKA 65.01% MASSACHUSETTS 63.42% NEW YORK 62.47% CALIFORNIA 60.19% NEW HAMPSHIRE 59.39% CONNECTICUT 58.50% WASHINGTON 57.28% VERMONT 56.32% MARYLAND 56.21% MINNESOTA 56.14% COLORADO 54.88% RHODE ISLAND 54.40% FLORIDA 52.83% ILLINOIS 52.06% MAINE 51.62% ARIZONA 51.24% HAWAII 49.94%

.... oh and yes, they have Mexico to go for their sex tours which is closer and cheaper when all told.

Hundreds of thousands of nudists and swingers in the US. Sex is free. Not much reason to travel for sex.

Oh god, if you only knew. I'd have to say the women in US and UK are equally prudish (guessing really). I'd also guess the male populations are equally horny/frustrated (=very) -- everyone is supposedly a serial killer or has aids nowadays. <deleted> nightmare.

Anyway, i'd say those are a wash. Thailand is simply one of the closest and cheapest places to go to get the groove on, and lets face it, these brits are cheap bastards :) Really though, no matter what tourists are traveling for, Americans have many more closer options.

W JERSEY 68.36% ALASKA 65.01% MASSACHUSETTS 63.42% NEW YORK 62.47% CALIFORNIA 60.19% NEW HAMPSHIRE 59.39% CONNECTICUT 58.50% WASHINGTON 57.28% VERMONT 56.32% MARYLAND 56.21% MINNESOTA 56.14% COLORADO 54.88% RHODE ISLAND 54.40% FLORIDA 52.83% ILLINOIS 52.06% MAINE 51.62% ARIZONA 51.24% HAWAII 49.94%

You have just reposted the same thing kerryk posted..lets have the numbers against the total US population..this data in itself doesnt really mean very much...thumbsup.gif

BTW thought you had 50 states...seem to be missing a few from your list..whistling.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Oh god, if you only knew. I'd have to say the women in US and UK are equally prudish

Never had a problem with US women at all...in fact they were anything but prudish....must be the cute accent...never had a problem when I worked there finding someone to play hide the sausage with...biggrin.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Oh god, if you only knew. I'd have to say the women in US and UK are equally prudish (guessing really). I'd also guess the male populations are equally horny/frustrated (=very) -- everyone is supposedly a serial killer or has aids nowadays. <deleted> nightmare.

Anyway, i'd say those are a wash. Thailand is simply one of the closest and cheapest places to go to get the groove on, and lets face it, these brits are cheap bastards :) Really though, no matter what tourists are traveling for, Americans have many more closer options.

Whoa easy tiger, ba**ards we maybe but leave the cheap out....:)

" The yankyfication of Pattaya"

I'd swap the Russians for Yankees any time. Actually sort of miss all the "WWOOHOOOOO!!!GOUSA!!!" - thing they had going on before. They at least knew how to party.

Yeah, we should be so lucky. With more Americans, we'd finally get really good Mexican and Chinese food!
  • Like 2

Nice try Kerry....but lets have the total number of PP against the total US population...

"Assuming that everyone who’s been issued a passport over the last ten years still has it, that’s 60,884,784 people with US passports. Given the US population is around 280 million, that gives us 21.7 per cent owning passports. Taking into account some of these will be five year passports"

Update: From the comments, the Economist has a subscriber-only article that states 34% of Americans over the age of 18 own passports, but cite no source for this. By comparison, it says 41% of Canadians over 18 have passports. (10 Sep 2005)

According to State data, about 28 percent of the U.S. population has a passport, with 85.5 million U.S. passports in circulation as of February 2008.

Any way you look at it there are almost twice as many Americans with Passports as total people in the UK.

post-20120-0-91786000-1340373444_thumb.j

A top notch Mexican hooker will cost you 100 bucks for about 20 minutes though -- I heard that on the oprah winphrey show anyway, I would have no idea myself. If you ever want a first hand answer to this question, try "paris de noche" in Ensenada... again, not first hand experience, I saw it on oprah.

wink.png ....tongue.png

Wow and it took 74 posts before tuning to prostitution w00t.gif

Is everybody fine?

• Like 1

Any way you look at it there are almost twice as many Americans with Passports as total people in the UK.

Ah but that wasnt the comment....

There's been a run on Americans to get passports in recent years because of the increasing need for passports for travel to Mexico and Canada ("homeland security"). Obviously Mexico and Canada are the most popular international destinations for Americans. This has caused longer wait times for passport applications.