What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Please for the love of God, Budha or whatever rocks your boat will someone talk to Tony about the lack of AC and the idiotic placement of fans over his cardio equipment. Somebody surely knows him that can direct him to this thread.

My condo treadmill needs to be repaired so tried to do my interval session on 3rd road (not the tent). The idiotic gyms AC units have slowly deteriorated the last 3 years. Now only one unit works in the large cardio room which cools it down to 85. Now add that we are in the tropics and the perspiring people exercising. It must be close to 100% humidity.

I had to stop my workout because I was throwing sweat on other members. There is only one treadmill that can hold 12 mph without shutting down or slipping. It is in the hottest corner of the gym with a fan that blow directly over your head and offers zero cooling.

The petite Thai girls do there thing and barely break a sweat but I'm not there to walk 2 mph like the girls or for that matter to run 8 mph. I joined Tony's and California Wow to use the treadmills for my 2 to 3 tough runs each week because they are gentler on my not so young legs.

I'm willing to buy my own fans and probably could find enough members that would gladly share the cost of AC units. This is ridiculous and getting worse. Three years ago his 3rd road gym was not cold but definitely comfortable.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Tony here. Respect for you on taking your running seriously but I reckon you are right at the extreme upper-end of the cardio scale (12 mph equates to a 31 min 10K time !). I imagine its going to be hard to find facilities to suit you anywhere in Thailand. I once saw a guy run a 60 min 15K at a hotel I was staying at and it was quite a sight - can't imagine what 12 mph looks like.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please try to stay on Topic which is What's Up at Cal Wow.

The following link might be of some interest:

California Wow Customers Sign Complaints For The Return Of Membership Fees

Being discussed HERE

I think you're being a bit harsh on Tony here. Respect for you on taking your running seriously but I reckon you are right at the extreme upper-end of the cardio scale (12 mph equates to a 31 min 10K time !). I imagine its going to be hard to find facilities to suit you anywhere in Thailand. I once saw a guy run a 60 min 15K at a hotel I was staying at and it was quite a sight - can't imagine what 12 mph looks like.

I'm 45 and can't run a 31 10K - that would beat the Kenyans here which rarely go under 32 because of the heat. It was 4x5 min interval session that turned into a 2x5 because of my sweat glands.Been running on TM's for a long time and am comfortable. All the gyms around town with commercial treadmills purchased in the last 5-10 years can easily hold 12 mph and Cal WOW TM's went up to 22 kph. For me though it is a sweat thing. I can find TM's spread across town at Tony's gyms that can hold 12 mph but none with proper AC. I feel like a freak and probably just insecure but the sweat that comes out of me is indescribable with no fan or AC.

Back on topic. The post Rimmer just made is why I doubt Cal Wow will survive in any capacity. It still might reopen but its legal issues aren't going away.

I'm leaving for Chiang Mai soon. Is that branch still open?

I have a great idea, Lets say the company does go bankrupt. chances are if the treadmills are not leased, bangkok bank will have to sell them. Keep a look out for an expression of interest.Maybe they will go to auction. Then you can train in the luxury of your own house or condo. I thinnk Tony may like a bargain he will buy them. He probably owns now the most gyms in thailand/Pattaya.

I went to Tony's Buakow location tonight for a peek. The annual membership is 5000 baht which is very reasonable while waiting for an alternative. It's open 24 hours so I could easily train after sunset. At 21:00, there were so few people there and the market is right there for post training snacks. The gym is just fine for me.

There's also a live music bar with Tony himself and Graham Peter Sears on bass from his 3rd road location playing live music. They were onstage when I passed by earlier.

I think I'll join this week.

I went to Tony's Buakow location tonight for a peek. The annual membership is 5000 baht which is very reasonable while waiting for an alternative. It's open 24 hours so I could easily train after sunset. At 21:00, there were so few people there and the market is right there for post training snacks. The gym is just fine for me.

There's also a live music bar with Tony himself and Graham Peter Sears on bass from his 3rd road location playing live music. They were onstage when I passed by earlier.

Ever heard Tony singing? I'm sure after the first time you will prefer to exercise during the hottest part of the day biggrin.png

Before you join for a year, I would recommend you try a few 99 baht casual workouts first. Better be safe than sorry - you never know until you get in there and train if you're going to like it or not.

Before you join for a year, I would recommend you try a few 99 baht casual workouts first. Better be safe than sorry - you never know until you get in there and train if you're going to like it or not.

Oh for sure. I'll try to sneak a camera in, if possible.

Oh for sure. I'll try to sneak a camera in, if possible.

I think the dailies are actually 90 baht. They may get very busy in the peak season, and if the Arabs hear about it they'll be over like a shot.

There was and old truck carrying a Tony's banner around town today - blasting information (Tony's voice) about this amazing new gym and how all the equipment was specially imported from the States - and there's more yet to come.

I noticed a poster inside Tony's cardio room today "voted the best gym in Pattaya". LOL

Edited by tropo

As an aside, there were 2 of his rovers running around the market trying to get people into the music club. 1 was African American and the other Middle Eastern. Both were overly aggressive and annoying (think beach road tailors "how are you, my friend?"). They're probably doing great things with their persistence on Walking Street but not appreciated when doing some late night shopping in the market.

post-149387-0-81068400-1345910908_thumb.

Edited by cathy211

I wonder who did the maths on the new gym rates.

3 days = 63.3 baht per day.

5 days = 78 baht per day

10 days = 69 baht per day.

You get a better rate for 3 days than 5 and 10 days.

... and 7999 per year at the budget location: Soi Kao Talo where daily is only 49 baht?? The same yearly rate as the "first class" locations (Fitness Center and Sport World).

Edited by tropo

I wonder who did the maths on the new gym rates.

3 days = 63.3 baht per day.

5 days = 78 baht per day

10 days = 69 baht per day.

You get a better rate for 3 days than 5 and 10 days.

... and 7999 per year at the budget location: Soi Kao Talo where daily is only 49 baht?? The same yearly rate as the "first class" locations (Fitness Center and Sport World).

What are you surprised about? In the supermarkets in Thailand usually a 5 liter bottle from any product is also more expensive than 5 bottles of 1 liter.biggrin.png Edited by JanKlaasen

As an aside, there were 2 of his rovers running around the market trying to get people into the music club. 1 was African American and the other Middle Eastern. Both were overly aggressive and annoying (think beach road tailors "how are you, my friend?"). They're probably doing great things with their persistence on Walking Street but not appreciated when doing some late night shopping in the market.

maybe you can promo for him?

Checked out the Buakow location after reading Cathy's post. Nice layout and clean with great cardio equipment. A no go for me, "Sweat King", because of the lack of airflow. Talked to the only employee that was working about the fan placement and he told me he also wondered what the engineer was thinking. Basically 4 top rate treadmills with practically zero airflow. The fans are setup so if you ran with your arms out like an airplane, your fingers might get a little air.

I may just go in and run an interval session just to make my point. The machines are going to drenched in sweat and look like crap in 2 years time. It must be the same engineer that is installing fans at all his clubs. With the exception of third rd (1 fan covers 10 treadmills), all his other clubs' fans don't blow on the treadmills. Someone finally took the initiative and broke the undulating mechanism at Jomtien so at least you get a slight breeze that blows against your back.

I've given up on AC and now would be happy with fans over the treadmills. Your body throws off heat that needs to be dispersed.

In the end, a nice facility and most won't have issues like I do. In 2 years the treadmills will look like crap (rusty) but probably function fine.

Checked out the Buakow location after reading Cathy's post. Nice layout and clean with great cardio equipment. A no go for me, "Sweat King", because of the lack of airflow. Talked to the only employee that was working about the fan placement and he told me he also wondered what the engineer was thinking. Basically 4 top rate treadmills with practically zero airflow. The fans are setup so if you ran with your arms out like an airplane, your fingers might get a little air.

I may just go in and run an interval session just to make my point. The machines are going to drenched in sweat and look like crap in 2 years time. It must be the same engineer that is installing fans at all his clubs. With the exception of third rd (1 fan covers 10 treadmills), all his other clubs' fans don't blow on the treadmills. Someone finally took the initiative and broke the undulating mechanism at Jomtien so at least you get a slight breeze that blows against your back.

I've given up on AC and now would be happy with fans over the treadmills. Your body throws off heat that needs to be dispersed.

In the end, a nice facility and most won't have issues like I do. In 2 years the treadmills will look like crap (rusty) but probably function fine.

Have you thought about asking if you can bring your own pedestal fan with extension? I used to do this at a gym in the Philippines. They let me store it there.

Have you thought about asking if you can bring your own pedestal fan with extension? I used to do this at a gym in the Philippines. They let me store it there.

I would feel funny but not a bad idea. I basically bought a high power fan for our condo complex and makes workouts there enjoyable. Now if the huge Russians and Farangs would stop breaking the base board I could just run there. As for Tony's, the answer is money. Payoff the manager to move 1 fan so it covers a treadmill. Done it before and probably will do it at his new location. I live 20 minutes away so maybe I won't.

I do like this new gym and wish it was closer. The market across the street is a nice plus.

I do like this new gym and wish it was closer. The market across the street is a nice plus.

Been going to the market since day 1 in Pattaya. Anyone who has been there knows you park wherever you can. This evening, I parked a few meters from the steps of Tony's gym so as not to obstruct the entrance and Tony's security asked me to move.

This has most definitely gone off topic, why is it allowed to continue? Everybody knows why they have closed their doors.

Discussion of CaWow alternatives is on topic.

This has most definitely gone off topic, why is it allowed to continue? Everybody knows why they have closed their doors.

Please keep up. we are discussing alternative training locations while we're waiting for news on California Wow. There are legal proceedings still in progress, so we're not done here yet.

If this bothers you, please don't read. All you need to do is resist the urge to click on this thread.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I would feel funny but not a bad idea. I basically bought a high power fan for our condo complex and makes workouts there enjoyable. Now if the huge Russians and Farangs would stop breaking the base board I could just run there. As for Tony's, the answer is money. Payoff the manager to move 1 fan so it covers a treadmill. Done it before and probably will do it at his new location. I live 20 minutes away so maybe I won't.

Tony's at Jomtien is kind of quaint. It's apartments converted into a 3 level gym. If their treadmills are up to speed it would an easy, low key place to bring a fan and I'm sure the manager would be happy to help you out.

Edited by tropo

i thought soi katoa is only for thais. can white people use it as well.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Are you talking about Soi Khao Talo? It's for everyone. I haven't looked inside. If you go there let us know what it's like.

Hi Soi Khao Talo its looks great, i thought it was the one on pattaya Tai Road, next to the sport world.

Hi Soi Khao Talo its looks great, i thought it was the one on pattaya Tai Road, next to the sport world.

I'll check it out. Went to Tony's web page and the club isn't listed. Where is it located? I see a billboard where Pattaya Tai meets Sukumwit and possibly the location. Also does it have AC?

I'll check it out. Went to Tony's web page and the club isn't listed. Where is it located? I see a billboard where Pattaya Tai meets Sukumwit and possibly the location. Also does it have AC?

It's located half way soi Khao Talo opposite the Tops supermarket, and no it doesn't have AC,I even think it's an open gym as it is located in a market space.

The topic has simply moved on to the next logical phase which is seeking good viable alternatives for people, it will not be closed for that.

Anyone been to Tony's gym much in Pattaya? I use cardio equipment and like it to be pretty cool with a/c as the humidity kills me when running or cross training etc. If they don't really use a/c much anyone know how much a basic cross trainers costs and where to get one from?

Cheers