What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Apologies, when I referred to powerlifting squats, I refer to Olympic Squats. Nevertheless I am confident that I will outperform you in both disciplines. Powerlifting squats are easier.

Good luck squatting like that. That's one of the worst squats I've seen - you'll blow your knees out in no time flat. He's a very strong boy, but that's no way to squat.

Here's a much better example of good squatting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNlxaASkgY&feature=related

It was just an example of the depth expected. An Olympic lifter can sit and lift from that position. You are the one with the knee problems, not I. So who are you to give advice??

Like I wrote, get yourself a life outside the gym. Your four days a week convinces no one. Your life revolves around the gym.

My life is based around good health, but I don't need to be inside on the best equipped gym to do so.

I'd like to think that I have both strength and endurance. A good balance.

Tell me Tropo, why do you base your life around the gym?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just an example of the depth expected. An Olympic lifter can sit and lift from that position. You are the one with the knee problems, not I. So who are you to give advice??

One minute you're talking about powerlifting, then olympic lifting. The truth is, you don't know squat.

I enjoy going to the gym... or used to until California Wow closed, however my life is based around the home as I spend most of my time there.

Where do you base your life?

Edited by tropo

One minute you're talking about powerlifting, then olympic lifting. The truth is, you don't know squat.

Incidentally, in my early 20's I was an olympic lifter until I had a motorcycle accident and broke my femur. I know a thing or two about it, but if you want to squat like that, go ahead - you won't be at it long.

So, you are a has-been.

You are playing at semantics. I am clearly not as obsessed as you are and visualised Olympic lifting as Powerlifting as I know it.

You again are spouting more rubbish about me not being able to be at for it long, but you are the one with the injuries. I have none.

I also have a life outside the gym, but am no slouch when I do decide to put the time in. But you made a blunder when you came to write about squats. I love them. I myself note how seldom people use the squat racks when in the gym and also how poor the quality of the squatting.

Lots of top heavy clowns out there.

Anyway, this is going a little too far.

My main point is stop whining. It's boring.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Anyway, this is going a little too far.

My main point is stop whining. It's boring.

The injuries were trauma injuries from a bad motorcycle smash. Not training related.

You've already shown your ignorance about just about every aspect of training, then to cover yourself you take to personal insults.

I suggest it is high time you took it somewhere else. I started this thread to find out what's happening at California Wow and you've been using it as an excuse to show us what a man you believe yourself to be. A man who can train in open air - impressive!

When you work out what a squat is, start another thread to discuss it.

Edited by tropo

Well, facing the situation I will buy a monthly (and thus for my remaining time in Pattaya) membership at Universe... Argh (!), but I reckon the chances of C.Pattaya reopening (soon) to be about 10%.

Universe is Not the WOW but it is really not that bad. I really hope the WOW re-opens soon.

What's Universe like? Is It good for lifting, equipment wise? How big is it? What's the air con like? Busy?

thx for any replies!

air cond-fair, old machines, old everything.

But you made a blunder when you came to write about squats.

I thought you were the one making the blunder about squats. You couldn't work out the difference between a powerlifting squat and an olympic squat.

I have no idea why you even brought up the olympic squat in the first place because no one other than olympic lifters do them and they are extremely detrimental to the knees. Most olympic lifters have serious knee problems by the time the retire from competition, which is usually at a young age.

So what are you then? An olympic lifter, a powerlifter, a bodybuilder or just a pretender?

But you made a blunder when you came to write about squats.

I thought you were the one making the blunder about squats. You couldn't work out the difference between a powerlifting squat and an olympic squat.

I have no idea why you even brought up the olympic squat in the first place because no one other than olympic lifters do them and they are extremely detrimental to the knees. Most olympic lifters have serious knee problems by the time the retire from competition, which is usually at a young age.

So what are you then? An olympic lifter, a powerlifter, a bodybuilder or just a pretender?

Look at my username.... Sheesh. Meathead comes to mind.

Arthritic knees from a motorcycle crash?? Perhaps.

I had a friend just like you. Trains four days per week and his life revolved around the gym. Could not even vary the times that he ate. Totally obsessed, but he him it was a normal way of life.

Often wanted to visit other places, but if he wasn't sure of the gym facilities available, he could not go. Enslaved. Just like you almost in tears if something interfered with his 'routine'. Not unlike an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Inside, he was like a great, big scared girl. He was building his body up around him like some kind of shell to keep him safe.

Training hard? For what? Are you playing Jiu Jitsu? Competing?

You won't be giving me any lessons on fitness old man. I train under the kind of conditions that would finish your arthritic knees.

I don't need to obsess over whether I use 'Olympic' or 'Powerlifting' to describe what I mean....as long as you know what I mean. I have a life outside of the gym.

As to who is the man.... I don't need to bang on about my prowess in the gym to prove who I am.

The fact that you are suffering because of the exit of CA Wow says a lot about you. When the going gets tough.....

Don't try to denigrate me... I'll just embarrass you.

You train hard, because you have to. Pitiful.

Well, facing the situation I will buy a monthly (and thus for my remaining time in Pattaya) membership at Universe... Argh (!), but I reckon the chances of C.Pattaya reopening (soon) to be about 10%.

Universe is Not the WOW but it is really not that bad. I really hope the WOW re-opens soon.

What's Universe like? Is It good for lifting, equipment wise? How big is it? What's the air con like? Busy?

thx for any replies!

air cond-fair, old machines, old everything.

They have an air con room. Did you take a look?

I think for 800 baht per month, it's a good option for many.

Look at my username.... Sheesh. Meathead comes to mind.

Arthritic knees from a motorcycle crash?? Perhaps.

I had a friend just like you. Trains four days per week and his life revolved around the gym. Could not even vary the times that he ate. Totally obsessed, but he him it was a normal way of life.

Often wanted to visit other places, but if he wasn't sure of the gym facilities available, he could not go. Enslaved. Just like you almost in tears if something interfered with his 'routine'. Not unlike an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Inside, he was like a great, big scared girl. He was building his body up around him like some kind of shell to keep him safe.

Training hard? For what? Are you playing Jiu Jitsu? Competing?

You won't be giving me any lessons on fitness old man. I train under the kind of conditions that would finish your arthritic knees.

I don't need to obsess over whether I use 'Olympic' or 'Powerlifting' to describe what I mean....as long as you know what I mean. I have a life outside of the gym.

As to who is the man.... I don't need to bang on about my prowess in the gym to prove who I am.

The fact that you are suffering because of the exit of CA Wow says a lot about you. When the going gets tough.....

Don't try to denigrate me... I'll just embarrass you.

You train hard, because you have to. Pitiful.

Arthritic knees 30 years after a motorcycle smash ----- meathead.

Obviously California Wow is not a Jiu-Jitsu gym. So why even bother commenting on here.

Why don't you take a good squat somewhere - nice and deep. Get it all out.

Edited by tropo

Do you mean like the idiot who commented about the Universe Gym even though he hadn't been there for five years. smile.png

Friends of mine used to train at CA Wow and complain to me about the clientèle.

Not the place for me. Though it seems that it's the place for you. So much so that you started a thread about it.

Anyway, it's gone. So wipe away your tears and move on.

You told me this debate was getting boring yet you continue to reply till 4:30am.

Why did I start this thread? The title should explain that adequately.

Universe is obviously just the same as it was 5 years ago, going by all account here. I hardly think it is worth the time to go and check it out again but as I've already signed up for a month at another gym, there's no need to.

You obviously wouldn't know a good gym from a bad one, just as you don't know squat about squats. Perhaps you could do this thread a big favour and move on. Most of the people on this thread are members of California Wow and there's no need to insult them all in your feeble efforts to get at me.

post-4641-1156694606.gif

Enough off-topic bickering. Please take it to PM, this is not a public issue anymore.

A couple of off-topic and/or incendiary posts have been deleted.

Next to continue will find himself on a calming posting holiday.

And now back to our regular program.

• Like 2

I am adjusting to Tony's but still don't understand the AC. New AC units would not only save money in a years time compared to the 30 year old tanks he is using but also increase his membership. The one in the cardio room almost collapsed the wall. The staff finally got a crow bar and made it behave but I thought it was going to explode.

I would gladly pay an extra 500 baht a month for a VIP cardio room. I'm a cheap bassturd but not to the point where it might cause me to have heat stroke.

Edited by Tywais
Removed quote from previous deleted post

I am adjusting to Tony's but still don't understand the AC. New AC units would not only save money in a years time compared to the 30 year old tanks he is using but also increase his membership. The one in the cardio room almost collapsed the wall. The staff finally got a crow bar and made it behave but I thought it was going to explode.

I would gladly pay an extra 500 baht a month for a VIP cardio room. I'm a cheap bassturd but not to the point where it might cause me to have heat stroke.

Universe has a aircon room at the back that is nice and cool. Take a look and report back, as I can't remember what machines they have in there.

I enjoy getting a good sweat up but it is a bit ridiculous at Tony's tent. I only do weights there so I cant imagine what a cardio session would be like.

I think I will go down to A1 Fitness on Soi 3 when I am back next week and see if i can get a good monthly deal out of them. Their AC is ice cold. I think you might be able to get a reasonable price but you would need to be prepared to bargain hard.

Do you mean like the idiot who commented about the Universe Gym even though he hadn't been there for five years. smile.png

Friends of mine used to train at CA Wow and complain to me about the clientèle.

Not the place for me. Though it seems that it's the place for you. So much so that you started a thread about it.

Anyway, it's gone. So wipe away your tears and move on.

You told me this debate was getting boring yet you continue to reply till 4:30am.

Why did I start this thread? The title should explain that adequately.

Universe is obviously just the same as it was 5 years ago, going by all account here. I hardly think it is worth the time to go and check it out again but as I've already signed up for a month at another gym, there's no need to.

You obviously wouldn't know a good gym from a bad one, just as you don't know squat about squats. Perhaps you could do this thread a big favour and move on. Most of the people on this thread are members of California Wow and there's no need to insult them all in your feeble efforts to get at me.

It wasn't 4.30am for me. smile.png

Just popping down to my local gym to do some Olympic Squats. biggrin.png

I hope you can find a suitable gym for your special needs. wai.gif

Universe has a aircon room at the back that is nice and cool. Take a look and report back, as I can't remember what machines they have in there.

Thanks for the info but too far out of the way. Not worth the time it would take in the car or the daily risk of a motorcycle ride. I try to keep my possessions to a minimum but looking at treadmills now. I have weights at the condo and with the treadmill I would be set.

I saw a nice gym at a hotel with about 5 lifefitness treadmills near the windows. I may check that out today. Odd, it is outside of Pattaya before you get to Jomtien on, I think, Pattaya Sai Song 16. Not a great part of town but the hotel looked nice.

Ok, fair enough, you're not in Pattaya. So how about you tell us where you're training and exactly what conditions you're training in.

I can find a gym for basic needs, but not for special needs. All other gyms are old school - lousy machines - barbells and DB's... and that is exactly what I've done - gone old school. As you say, adapt the best you can. Having 180 lb dumbbells is a plus though because I can do some useful exercises I couldn't do at Cal Wow because they didn't go over 100's.

The show much go on - and it does. Did you think that after 36 years of training I was about to give up. I've trained in some of the absolutely worse conditions you've ever seen. Try Valenzuela, Manila in summer. The air is so thick with pollution that you don't know if you should open or close the windows. Top floor of a warehouse with the sun beating down on a tin roof. Only a few fans. When I go back to the Philippines for a month every year I travel 50km round trip to train in a gym on the top floor of a building which has no fans and extremely basic equipment. These gyms make Universe, Tony's and Castra seem like 5 star establishments by comparison.

But you know what? No matter how you weather the bad conditions, the better the gym the better the workout. It's a fact you just can't overcome.

Ok, fair enough, you're not in Pattaya. So how about you tell us where you're training and exactly what conditions you're training in.

I can find a gym for basic needs, but not for special needs. All other gyms are old school - lousy machines - barbells and DB's... and that is exactly what I've done - gone old school. As you say, adapt the best you can. Having 180 lb dumbbells is a plus though because I can do some useful exercises I couldn't do at Cal Wow because they didn't go over 100's.

The show much go on - and it does. Did you think that after 36 years of training I was about to give up. I've trained in some of the absolutely worse conditions you've ever seen. Try Valenzuela, Manila in summer. The air is so thick with pollution that you don't know if you should open or close the windows. Top floor of a warehouse with the sun beating down on a tin roof. Only a few fans. When I go back to the Philippines for a month every year I travel 50km round trip to train in a gym on the top floor of a building which has no fans and extremely basic equipment. These gyms make Universe, Tony's and Castra seem like 5 star establishments by comparison.

But you know what? No matter how you weather the bad conditions, the better the gym the better the workout. It's a fact you just can't overcome.

I'm in the UK and conditions are currently good. My training doesn't involve just humping heavy weights, but performing well under a range of conditions.

I'm not going into the details of my training, as it might look like a pissing contest.

There is no doubt that CA Wow is/was well equipped. But it is clearly not a sustainable business. It was just formed as competition to a good old British company Fitness First. :) Major Cineplex are actually shareholders in the business, with some of the family acting as directors. 10000 baht for a lifetime membership is just ridiculous. Many thought they were laughing all the way to the bank, but it just brought this day closer.

Even more amusing are the calls for it to re-open. They can't have it both ways.

At least you enjoyed it whilst it lasted.

I don't think any other gym group will take the lease, as I'm sure Major won't be doing them any favours.

As one door closes, a window of opportunity opens.

I'm in the UK and conditions are currently good. My training doesn't involve just humping heavy weights, but performing well under a range of conditions.

I'm not going into the details of my training, as it might look like a pissing contest.

You see, there's the difference. I live in Pattaya all year long and have done so for 6 years straight. Having to rough it while over in the Philippines for a month here and there is easy and even enjoyable if you have a nice gym to return to at your permanent home location. Currently I'm faced with the prospect of training in dumps for the foreseeable future until someone can open a better gym.

I trained at Tony's Soi 16 gym for 4 years already. It was ok, but that was the best bodybuilding type gym available at the time.

Yes, I do have some special needs. These needs cannot be met at my current training location, but that's how it is. You win some you lose some. I lose special need machines but gain heavy dumbbells. The free weight section of Castra is superior to California Wow and it's quieter in the afternoon, so it's not all bad.

I'd love to train open air in the cooler temperatures you have in England. That would be fantastic.

In the meanwhile, I reserve the right to cry and whinge about the demise of a decent gym (for Pattaya). No one is shocked about this - even when I joined 3 years ago the writing was on the wall - but you get used to training somewhere and it is not pleasant to have it taken away... especially the Cybex Arc Trainer which is unparalleled in the cardio machine department.

Edited by tropo

Cwow was still closed today.. should I start looking for a new gym or just takea break from weights until a possible reopening of cwow !?

Tonys is way to expensive (no 10k Lifetime :( )

Universal is too far

Cwow was still closed today.. should I start looking for a new gym or just takea break from weights until a possible reopening of cwow !?

Tonys is way to expensive (no 10k Lifetime sad.png )

Universal is too far

I wouldn't recommend waiting. You could be waiting a long time and you could get lazy and quit.

10k lifetime was an exceptional deal. Don't use that as a yardstick for what memberships should cost as you'll not find anything to close to that.

Your choices are very limited. If you want cheap monthly deals, then try Castra (1000) or Universe (800). If you want cheaper, then you'll have to sign up for a year. If you live in central Pattaya and don't like to travel far then Tony's is your cheapest option.

Tonys is way to expensive (no 10k Lifetime sad.png )

Universal is too far

I wouldn't recommend waiting. You could be waiting a long time and you could get lazy and quit.

10k lifetime was an exceptional deal. Don't use that as a yardstick for what memberships should cost as you'll not find anything to close to that.

Your choices are very limited. If you want cheap monthly deals, then try Castra (1000) or Universe (800). If you want cheaper, then you'll have to sign up for a year. If you live in central Pattaya and don't like to travel far then Tony's is your cheapest option.

I don't think that Tony's is the cheapest option in Central Pattaya. There are couple of gyms on Third Road that are cheaper. There is even a 30 baht per session gym near the BIG C sign in South Pattaya.

Though don't expect CA Wow standard, as no one can afford to keep that level of equipment, building and conditions without a wide customer base paying a substantial subscription.

I actually train more in Thailand than I do in the UK. Used many different training facilities throughout the country.

The Soi 16 gym was horrible, mainly because of the chemical smell of the flooring and before that they had their ridiculous club next door. After that the facilities did a disappearing act one by one...

I haven't looked into the 'new' location on Walking Street. But in general, his gyms are horrible. I'd rather train anywhere else.

I also trained at GOLDS on Walking Street. I've seen many places come and go. But since I'm not bulking up I don't need too heavy weights. I can train almost anywhere. Though a few Nautilus type machine don't go amiss.

You see, there's the difference. I live in Pattaya all year long and have done so for 6 years straight. Having to rough it while over in the Philippines for a month here and there is easy and even enjoyable if you have a nice gym to return to at your permanent home location. Currently I'm faced with the prospect of training in dumps for the foreseeable future until someone can open a better gym.

I trained at Tony's Soi 16 gym for 4 years already. It was ok, but that was the best bodybuilding type gym available at the time.

Yes, I do have some special needs. These needs cannot be met at my current training location, but that's how it is. You win some you lose some. I lose special need machines but gain heavy dumbbells. The free weight section of Castra is superior to California Wow and it's quieter in the afternoon, so it's not all bad.

I'd love to train open air in the cooler temperatures you have in England. That would be fantastic.

In the meanwhile, I reserve the right to cry and whinge about the demise of a decent gym (for Pattaya). No one is shocked about this - even when I joined 3 years ago the writing was on the wall - but you get used to training somewhere and it is not pleasant to have it taken away... especially the Cybex Arc Trainer which is unparalleled in the cardio machine department.

The Soi 16 gym was horrible, mainly because of the chemical smell of the flooring and before that they had their ridiculous club next door. After that the facilities did a disappearing act one by one...

I haven't looked into the 'new' location on Walking Street. But in general, his gyms are horrible. I'd rather train anywhere else.

Well there you go. You've listed a number of reasons why I transferred to California Wow. I had dual memberships for nearly 2 years and when Soi 16 finally disappeared I'd had enough. I had looked at the new Walking Street location and it is dismal.

I'm in central Pattaya, so Castra is a bit far and I really dislike Tony's.

So which is better for weight lifting between Fairtex and Universe? I've got a pool to use so not fussed about cardio equipment, just bb stuff.

Fairtex is a bit of an unknown at this stage because I anticipate that many ex-Cal Wow members may go there and it may get much busier.

It's small, so if you can go early afternoon it's quiet and quite pleasant. The equipment is limited but what's there is reasonably good. After 5pm it gets crowded.... so as a morning or early afternoon gym it has potential.

Do some casual visits to try it out. Yearly it's not much more than Tony's at 9600 for gym only.

I'm in central Pattaya, so Castra is a bit far and I really dislike Tony's.

So which is better for weight lifting between Fairtex and Universe? I've got a pool to use so not fussed about cardio equipment, just bb stuff.

Fairtex is a bit of an unknown at this stage because I anticipate that many ex-Cal Wow members may go there and it may get much busier.

It's small, so if you can go early afternoon it's quiet and quite pleasant. The equipment is limited but what's there is reasonably good. After 5pm it gets crowded.... so as a morning or early afternoon gym it has potential.

Do some casual visits to try it out. Yearly it's not much more than Tony's at 9600 for gym only.

Thanks!

What about Universe? Prices look good!

I need to pop in and have a look. If I get a motorcycle taxi there it's not going to take too long

Thanks!

What about Universe? Prices look good!

I need to pop in and have a look. If I get a motorcycle taxi there it's not going to take too long

I've never trained there. Give it a go for 80 baht.