What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went past this afternoon and the steel curtain was still down, maybe tomorrow ?

Not a chance they will open again unless they get a lot of cash upfront first.

I must say we really appreciate you coming on here and keeping it real.

Unless Tony ups his game I think it is inevitable someone like Fitness First will come to Pattaya. If they do thou expect to pay substantially more than what you were paying at CaWow.

I dont think Fitness First do lifetime memberships. Most people pay a monthly rate plus a joining fee.

When I was about to leave Universe someone told me that CWOW opened again (he said his wife had told him)... Can anyone confirm this?

The phone is still off.

Has there been anything in the newspapers about this closing ?

It's more than adequate for most. I'm happy to adapt to a gym that has sensible prices and a sustainable business plan.

Off course you were excited about C Wow. But the fact is that people want pristine facilities, but don't want to pay for them. How many 'boasts' have we read of lifetime memberships for 10000 baht??

You simply cannot sustain those kind of facilities on cheapskate member's contributions.

What planet are you on? Universe is more than adequate for most?... and then you go on to insult California Wow members by calling them cheapskates?

The fact is there isn't any alternative to California Wow in Pattaya for any price, period.

Now please - enough with the nonsense.

Seriously my friend, you are just coming over like a man obsessed..

I meant exactly what I said. That many want something for nothing and that if you cannot adapt then you are the problem.

I train best in the open air. Being inside at all impacts on my training, but you don't see me here banging on about gyms having walls and a ceiling, so I can't train properly.

Then you spout theories about people giving up because CA Wow no longer exists. smile.png If they give up it has everything to do with themselves and little to do with CA Wow closing.

Look within yourself and stop whinging. Adapt and grow stronger.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Due to almost non existent (and truthful) communications from the gym, I am reduced to listening to all sorts of hearsay. Some member's wife has been told by her instructor that the gym will VERY LIKELY not reopen and some staff have already been told to look for jobs elsewhere.

A few weeks ago, the FIRST closure lasted a week. This latest closure started on Friday 13th, so I am still hoping for good news come Friday 20th despite all indications to the contrary.

I meant exactly what I said. That many want something for nothing and that if you cannot adapt then you are the problem.

I train best in the open air. Being inside at all impacts on my training, but you don't see me here banging on about gyms having walls and a ceiling, so I can't train properly.

Then you spout theories about people giving up because CA Wow no longer exists. smile.png If they give up it has everything to do with themselves and little to do with CA Wow closing.

Seriously my friend, you're talking to a guy who has trained for 36 years, not a novice. I've trained in all types of gyms all over the world. From basement dungeon type gyms to Gold's Gyms....including open air at the famous Venice Beach Gym.

While you're spouting here I've been having good workouts elsewhere and will continue to do so. I'll train anywhere I have to.

This thread is reserved mainly for whinging about the demise of California Wow, not a thread to brag about what a man you are because you can train in open air. I would suspect though that you're all talk and don't have a clue what hard training is about. You train open air so you can sweat more and think you're training hard. Smart people prefer to train in a cooler environment in tropical weather.

Edited by tropo

Been in N Thailand for a year and just got back in town a few weeks ago. Funny I just upped my Cal Wow to the VIP package but is what it is at the moment. Not big into the weights and mainly use the cardio equip. I'm rehabbing from a running injury and need a gym with top rate treadmills and AC because I sweat profusely. Yesterday I went to Tony's on 3rd road (lifetime member) and was reminded why I joined Cal Wow. The AC was cooling the room down to 30 C and the fan was positioned so it provided zero relief. Have no idea why he always places his fans where they don't cool down cardio equip users. Actually paid 300 baht to a staff member to have a fan permanently placed where it offers relief at his walking street gym but the treadmills are almost non functional, hence moving to 3rd road where the treadmills work sometimes.

So are there any simple gyms with good treadmills and AC for 1-1.5k a month? Not interested in anything outside of central Pattaya/Jomtien.

Thanks for any input!

You're talking to a guy who has trained for 36 years, not a novice.

While you're spouting here I've been having good workouts elsewhere and will continue to do so. I'll train anywhere I have to.

This thread is reserved mainly for whinging about the demise of California Wow, not a thread to brag about what a man you are because you can train in open air. I would suspect though that you're all talk and don't have a clue what hard training is about.

In the meanwhile, I'm about to head down the road for a squat workout. You're welcome to join me and I'll show you what hard training is all about. Don't worry, the gym is warm so you won't be getting cold.

Agree, and why is he so worked up about us complaining about Cal Wow. If he was forbidden to exercise outside, I wonder if he have any issues. Cal Wow was a nice gym and met your needs as a weight lifter and my needs as a cardio junky. I feel your pain in regards to lifting in the heat but trying to run 3:15 kilometer pace in a non AC/humid gym is borderline dangerous and my sweat is disgusting for others running near me.

Agree, and why is he so worked up about us complaining about Cal Wow. If he was forbidden to exercise outside, I wonder if he have any issues. Cal Wow was a nice gym and met your needs as a weight lifter and my needs as a cardio junky. I feel your pain in regards to lifting in the heat but trying to run 3:15 kilometer pace in a non AC/humid gym is borderline dangerous and my sweat is disgusting for others running near me.

I have the same problem. I was doing serious cardio-only days at California Wow where I'd burn 1100 - 1200 calories in an hour on the Cybex. Sometimes I'd do 90 minutes and burn through 1500 calories or more (my record was 1910 in 90 minutes and 1316 in an hour). Apart from the fact there are no Cybex Arc Trainers anywhere else in Pattaya, that same level of intensity in 30°C heat would have been impossible. Even in the airconditioning I was drinking over 2 litres of water to get through these sessions and I was soaked afterwards.

Why not pre-hydrate, and start running? Once a guy is acclimated, doing outdoor cardio is easy. The exception being guys with knee and/or back problems. I like to work heavy ay Tony's Naklua, then get out to the beach for a run or a long walk. If going heavy is not for you then superset everything with 30 second rests between sets. Good headphones with high energy tunes, M150, and lots of water, and a guy is good to go. IMHO

I don't like running for a myriad of reasons beyond the scope of this thread. I certainly don't see it as a good alternative to California Wow and Cybex Arc Training.

Each to their own.

My best alternative right now is an hour on my own Concept 2 rower at home - in airconditioned comfort. Running doesn't hold a candle to rowing. It's works the whole body and keeps the lower back strong.

Edited by tropo

hi guys

i am akim and have been working out at california wow for some years. the truth is they are in deep shit and they just cant make it. i used to go to silom which is now closed. pinkalao and ekkamai were supposed to be opened but they are closed now. no electricity and on the website it says they are negociating which i dont believe. i was shocked to find out that pattaya has been closed too. now i am working out in paragon but i think it is going to be closed anytime.. a trainer there told me its going in 2 months

hi guys

i am akim and have been working out at california wow for some years. the truth is they are in deep shit and they just cant make it. i used to go to silom which is now closed. pinkalao and ekkamai were supposed to be opened but they are closed now. no electricity and on the website it says they are negociating which i dont believe. i was shocked to find out that pattaya has been closed too. now i am working out in paragon but i think it is going to be closed anytime.. a trainer there told me its going in 2 months

And do you have any information about the state of the Pattaya club? Or could you use your contacts to find out about it? Would be great!

hi guys

And do you have any information about the state of the Pattaya club? Or could you use your contacts to find out about it? Would be great!

no answering phone today, so not bothering to go in, if someone sees it open let me know!

I was in Pattaya back in April for a month or so and went in to check out CWOW. The place seemed nicely laid out with good aircon and a good amount of treadmills.

But they play games with the pricing. First they made me wait for the manager to come around and tell me the prices. The waiting time was no more than a minute or two, so that was not a problem. In the back of my mind I was wondering why does the manager need to come around to tell me the prices...

The manger comes around with a list which showed 10 or 11k baht for a one month membership. laugh.png What a joke. Then she came back with a price 3.5k for the month. 3.5k is not too crazy and is about the same monthly contract price for Gold's Gym or other bigger and brighter gyms in Tokyo.

I really do not like the mysterious game playing with prices. A nice poster with the prices laid out at the front desk would do wonders. Especially since Pattaya is something of a transient town with people popping in and out and must get tired of having to fight for every baht.

I will have to give rowing a try.

There's a few at Tony's. Fairtex has one. Other than that you'll have to buy your own. They're about 55K landed. If it's not a Concept 2 rower I wouldn't bother.

CAWOW rent clubs in Pattaya and BKK form different landlords do they not, so dont you all think it is a little strange that said landlords would all cut the power at the same time and refuse to turn it back on?

Just a thought

@Boca: Indeed, I have thought about that as well. It just doesn't look like they would reopen again.

When I just went to VillaMarket I also met one of the trainers; He said it would re-open next week and I signed in a list to be called by the manager in that case. But honestly, it did not really appear credible.

I think the correct answer is no one really knows if they will reopen or not, we can only speculate.

For everyone who likes exercise we are hoping CAWOW will reopen but most of us accept there is a strong possibility they won't.

Who knows what is going on behind closed doors with the landlords and senior management.

Its funny in BKK the gym there said there were closing at end of June is still open Sukhumvit 23 and the ones they said they were keeping open are now closed. C'est la vie

Why not pre-hydrate, and start running? Once a guy is acclimated, doing outdoor cardio is easy. The exception being guys with knee and/or back problems. I like to work heavy ay Tony's Naklua, then get out to the beach for a run or a long walk. If going heavy is not for you then superset everything with 30 second rests between sets. Good headphones with high energy tunes, M150, and lots of water, and a guy is good to go. IMHO

Outdoor running is a joy and great cardio but generally too hard on your feet, knees, and hips. Slanted beach isn't good, slanted road isn't good, and concrete isn't good. I wouldn't do it. (I was once a runner.) Walking is better. Super Sport at Central had a sale on treadmills recently, may still be going on.

Outdoor running is a joy and great cardio but generally too hard on your feet, knees, and hips. Slanted beach isn't good, slanted road isn't good, and concrete isn't good. I wouldn't do it. (I was once a runner.) Walking is better. Super Sport at Central had a sale on treadmills recently, may still be going on.

That sums it up pretty well. The age and bodyweight of the person are important considerations too. Most expats are too old and heavy for jogging/running.

That sums it up pretty well. The age and bodyweight of the person are important considerations too. Most expats are too old and heavy for jogging/running.

I WAS a serious jogger for 17 years. I'd get up at the crack of dawn and run for 45 minutes. It not only kept my weight down and but gave me a "buzz" of feeling good about myself. Now that I am in my 50's, my knee cartilage has become thin so going up steep steps for more than 5 minutes will start creating pain. The sports doc I have gone to said it was from all of my running. Who knows??? But when you get older, I think it is best to use the tread mill or the eliptical for a "cardio fix" and yes, good equipment makes a difference. By the way, if one can afford it, look into some of gyms in the 4-5 star hotels in Pattaya (Marriott; Dusit; Sheraton;Royal Cliff; A-1 Royal Cruise Hotel; Centara Grand Mirage . Not only do they have some decent equipment (but small in size) they usually have a sauna, steam room, pool, and a trained staff that will know you by your first name.

Edited by toenail

I WAS a serious jogger for 17 years. I'd get up at the crack of dawn and run for 45 minutes. It not only kept my weight down and but gave me a "buzz" of feeling good about myself. Now that I am in my 50's, my knee cartilage has become thin so going up steep steps for more than 5 minutes will start creating pain. The sports doc I have gone to said it was from all of my running. Who knows??? But when you get older, I think it is best to use the tread mill or the eliptical for a "cardio fix" and yes, good equipment makes a difference. By the way, if one can afford it, look into some of gyms in the 4-5 star hotels in Pattaya (Marriott; Dusit; Sheraton;Royal Cliff; A-1 Royal Cruise Hotel; Centara Grand Mirage . Not only do they have some decent equipment (but small in size) they usually have a sauna, steam room, pool, and a trained staff that will know you by your first name.

This is the truth, knee cartilage gets worn out,the muscle gets ripped too easily too,the epileptic is supposed to go easy on the joints, The guys using bikes and rowing will be having trouble with prostate in time.

Just got to go easy on the body when getting older and not punishing it,every sportsman I knew years ago ,all are virtually crippled

The guys using bikes and rowing will be having trouble with prostate in time.

How does rowing influence the prostrate? On a rowing machine there's no more pressure on the butt than sitting on a seat. Another point you fail to consider - there's degrees of intensity. You can row and bike easy or hard - it's your choice. Exercise should be heart rate monitored and kept at MAF or under to be most beneficial and sustainable.

Sportsmen always over do it in the name of competition. They're not doing it for health, that's the difference. You can't compare a regular gym goer to a competitive athlete. Competitive powerlifters, olympic weightlifters, competitive bodybuilders - they usually mess themselves up in the end.

Edited by tropo