What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

So join me at Universe instead of Tony's. It's better and cheaper!

What cardio machines do they have at Universe? How's the airconditioning?

Cardio machines range from rowing over bikes to Crosstrainer. OK, but not comparable to CWOW.

Temperature is defenitely far higher than in CWOW, though, strong fans give a bit of relief. All in all better than at Tonys but not great, either.

Probably, you gotta have a go yourself to try it out (see you tomorrow at 5pm biggrin.png - oooor at the same time at CWOW if reopened *mobilising last few units of hope* )

Thanks mate. I haven't seen that gym for about 5 years - I'll have to come down and have a look.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you write that you had already been there when I recommended it to you??

Didn't you write that you had already been there when I recommended it to you??

The last time I went there was about 2007. I've never trained there.

What are the prices there , for daily or monthly. I don't want to sign up too long until I know there is No hope left of WOW re-opening. Is it air cond ? as I heard a while ago that it was fan only. Thanks

What are the prices there , for daily or monthly. I don't want to sign up too long until I know there is No hope left of WOW re-opening. Is it air cond ? as I heard a while ago that it was fan only. Thanks

Jiu-Jitsu, on 2012-06-23 18:22:27, said:

Have you given the Universe Gym a go?

"No. I've had a good look in there - it's a non-starter for me".

Link to the offending post here.

A very misleading reply if you haven't actually been there for five years.

80 baht for a single session. Don't know the long term prices. We went as a couple for 120 baht per session. They even have a separate air con room for those who love air-con(many don't). The main room has a mix of fan and air-con.

80 baht for a single session. Don't know the long term prices. We went as a couple for 120 baht per session. They even have a separate air con room for those who love air-con(many don't). The main room has a mix of fan and air-con.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a go tomorrow if WOW is still closed. If anyone goes by WOW in the morning or early afternoon, Please post the status. Thanks

Jiu-Jitsu, on 2012-06-23 18:22:27, said:

Have you given the Universe Gym a go?

"No. I've had a good look in there - it's a non-starter for me".

Link to the offending post here.

A very misleading reply if you haven't actually been there for five years.

Interesting - yes, I was judging on what I saw there 5 years ago. I didn't figure much had changed in the meanwhile.

On second thoughts, due to Lukizatrus's recent post I will have another look. I'm sorry if I misled or offended you.

(haven't you got better things to do than dissect my posts?)

Edited by tropo

Too bad Fitness First doesn't invest in taking over CA Wow. There is certainly enough Thai and farang that live in the Pattaya area that would pay for their annual membership. And there is the "short term" visitor that needs a good gym that would pay for a one month membership at the same fee as his home country. Fitness first is all over Asia.

Dissect your post? I just remembered that you wrote something to me that contradicted what you just wrote...so went back to check.

Anyway, it's cleared up now.

It's more than adequate for most. I'm happy to adapt to a gym that has sensible prices and a sustainable business plan.

Off course you were excited about C Wow. But the fact is that people want pristine facilities, but don't want to pay for them. How many 'boasts' have we read of lifetime memberships for 10000 baht??

You simply cannot sustain those kind of facilities on cheapskate member's contributions.

Dissect your post? I just remembered that you wrote something to me that contradicted what you just wrote...so went back to check.

Anyway, it's cleared up now.

It's more than adequate for most. I'm happy to adapt to a gym that has sensible prices and a sustainable business plan.

Off course you were excited about C Wow. But the fact is that people want pristine facilities, but don't want to pay for them. How many 'boasts' have we read of lifetime memberships for 10000 baht??

You simply cannot sustain those kind of facilities on cheapskate member's contributions.

I don't think it's the membnrship fault, rather the business plan, after all the members can't sign up to a plan that is not on offer can they!

What planet are you on? Universe is more than adequate for most?... and then you go on to insult California Wow members by calling them cheapskates?

The fact is there isn't any alternative to California Wow in Pattaya for any price, period.

Now please - enough with the nonsense.

Too bad Fitness First doesn't invest in taking over CA Wow. There is certainly enough Thai and farang that live in the Pattaya area that would pay for their annual membership. And there is the "short term" visitor that needs a good gym that would pay for a one month membership at the same fee as his home country. Fitness first is all over Asia.

This may very well happen now. They were probably waiting for this to happen. If they move in now they've got the market all to themselves.

^and the "nonesense" that Jui-Jitsu posted was that he's "happy to adapt to a gym that has sensible prices and a sustainable business plan." which is what I'd recommend all CWOW members to do.

Take out a rolling one month membership in another gym and adjust your training regime to accomodate that and then if in a couple of months CWOW survives you can go back to it, if not then you can look elsewhere.

Training in a gym that is open has got to be better than training in a gym that isn't, right?

Ooops, seems like the censors got in first there!

Edited by PattayaParent

^and the "nonesense" that Jui-Jitsu posted was that he's "happy to adapt to a gym that has sensible prices and a sustainable business plan." which is what I'd recommend all CWOW members to do.

Take out a rolling one month membership in another gym and adjust your training regime to accomodate that and then if in a couple of months CWOW survives you can go back to it, if not then you can look elsewhere.

Training in a gym that is open has got to be better than training in a gym that isn't, right?

Ooops, seems like the censors got in first there!

The censors are doing a great job...

You're a genius. That's exactly what I've done - signed up elsewhere for one month.

The problem is, and what you and Jiu-Jitsu don't understand is that anywhere else is a huge step down. You'd have to be an avid gym goer with experience to understand the difference though... To someone like you with no experience or interest in training, any place with some barbells and dumbbells is a good gym.

There's no point talking about price when there isn't a good alternative at any price. If another company opens up a gym as good as or better than California Wow, I'm in irrespective of price. You see, serious gym goers are more concerned with quality of workout than price. If we can swing a good deal as many did with California Wow - then all the better.

Anyway, it was nice chatting with you. I'm off to bed to get some sleep so I can get to the gym later this morning.

Cheers

Edited by tropo

I'm a lazy sod and have to (had to) drag myself down there most visits, so any excuse not to work out is welcome, and the thought of finding a new gym sends me scurrying back to bed, great pity as I did love looking at some of the cute girls, sexist I know but they were free to lech after me , none did though

So, you don't see the possibility of CWOW opening again this week or so (like last time)?

NO - UNLESS THEY COME UP WITH A BIG LOAD OF CASH - THEY CAN'T PAY ELECTRIC LET ALONE THEIR STAFF AND I AM SURE THE LABOUR OFFICE WHICH IS LOCATED ON LEVEL 2 OF THE AVE PATTAYA IS ALREADY INVOLVED.

Not sure if this has been said

but today Pattaya Branch is closed, went there to work out

Looks like there was a sign on the front but been torn down

sigh

Was going to head there today, thanks for the swift udpate!

no problem there was a hanful of cranky people there:)

Not that it makes any difference but from my 15 years experience of training and 3 years of working in one, i believe the biggest reason for WOW failing is lack of customer service, double pricing and most of all non existent retention team.

When i first arrived to Thailand i signed up with WOW and from memory it was 1800 per month, my girlfriend (thai) got the same membership for 1200, while a mate got his for 1500. when i asked for what i get for bringing 2 other members, the answer was nothing, even though not only i brought 2 members but also knew they got their fees cheaper and still nothing. at the time , they also had a promo, bring a friend and get a n umbrella, well i did not get that either as they were out of stock

when my membership was up , i asked what deals they would offer me and the answer was none, they kept insisting i pay the same rate. Naturally i left it(this was in BKK, where there are many other choices).

3 of my friends and training partners, did same as me, funny enough 6 months later i saw almost all members that trained at WOW at the new gym where i joined.

When in Pattaya i went to see the price for lifetime membership and was quoted 25000, later same day bumped into a mate who signed up for 10000.

Went back the next day and showed his paper and got it for 10000.

The point is when you run business like this, you certainly upset people, and for gym to stay in business you need to have loyal following and renewals. Gyms simply can not rely on new members, because its not enough to sustain the business.

Edited by phl

A friend in Bangkok tells me that only Paragon and Sukhumvit 23 are now open there.

I'm taking a week off from lifting this week and just doing lots of swimming & bodyweight exercises. I can't face going to Tony's yet until I know for sure if this is really the end of California.

I went past this afternoon and the steel curtain was still down, maybe tomorrow ?

Not a chance they will open again unless they get a lot of cash upfront first.

I must say we really appreciate you coming on here and keeping it real.