What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

I'm still hopefull they will reopen but I just bought 1 month at Universe gym.

How's it going there? Any good?

It's 3 steps down from the WOW but at 800 baht for the month I will wait to see what happens .

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the fact that they took away the Pattaya Club (and others) from their website - at least their opening hours - reflects pretty clearly that there is few hope that they will reopen. Yet, why did the trainer tell me about next week?! Self-delusion, playing along or real hope?

Edited by Lukizatrus

Well, the fact that they took away the Pattaya Club (and others) from their website - at least their opening hours - reflects pretty clearly that there is few hope that they will reopen. Yet, why did the trainer tell me about next week?! Self-delusion, playing along or real hope?

Poor devil is probably as much in the dark as the rest of us

Why not pre-hydrate, and start running? Once a guy is acclimated, doing outdoor cardio is easy. The exception being guys with knee and/or back problems. I like to work heavy ay Tony's Naklua, then get out to the beach for a run or a long walk. If going heavy is not for you then superset everything with 30 second rests between sets. Good headphones with high energy tunes, M150, and lots of water, and a guy is good to go. IMHO

Outdoor running is a joy and great cardio but generally too hard on your feet, knees, and hips. Slanted beach isn't good, slanted road isn't good, and concrete isn't good. I wouldn't do it. (I was once a runner.) Walking is better. Super Sport at Central had a sale on treadmills recently, may still be going on.

I agree - the majority of foreigners here shouldn't run. Many of the Cal Wow members are in great shape but not for running which is a skinny mans sport. I'm a serious runner and my running friends are also putting in high miles. My running friends of all ages as a whole are in much better health than 99% of the general population. Shiit happens though and running like falling off a bar stool causes injury.

Keys are listening to your body, consistency, and weight management. Fluctuating weight and training is the reason many get hurt. Most foreigners here probably should not be running on the roads because of their builds. I'm 5'11" 165 lbs(73 kilo) and always outweigh every runner on the podium at races. I'm even too big and need to cut weight which would be muscle in my case.

The treadmills at gyms (cal wow) allowed me to train hard and give my feet the cushion they need. Now at Tony's I can't use the treads because of the heat and the embarrassment of my excessive sweat that splashes on adjoining treadmills. Sweating on petite Thai girls is frowned upon.

Edited by siamamerican

I agree - the majority of foreigners here shouldn't run. Many of the Cal Wow members are in great shape but not for running which is a skinny mans sport.

Thanks for being frank about it: "a skinny man's sport". At 100 kg with arthritic knees I definitely won't be joining you. I actually envy runners.

I used to splash the floor quite a bit off the Cybex machine at Cal Wow - and even felt embarrassed about it whenever the cleaning ladies came around with a mop. I can't imagine what the floor would look like at Tony's.

Ok from what I have read and from people I know who have trainer friends etc, it seems Cal wow pattaya is dead. I have read and heard all sorts of things, but the fact is the doors are shut and no one can say if they will ever open again since even the employees are left cluesless as to what is going on. Therefore, people might as well stop crying about it and find somewhere else to go. Yes they are not as wonderful as Cal wow, but they aren't bankrupt either so take the good with the bad. Tony has places all over pattaya and is advertising 1 year 10% off if you bring in your membership from wow and 20% off lifetimes, is opening a new big place on soi buakhao according to the banners, but customer service could use some work abd if you like it freezing cold it's not, works for me, not too hot or cold. Castra is just too far away, I have no idea about universal or fairtex as I haven't gone there. There are also a ton of hole in the wall places with a couple machines and a few free weights. Bottom line there is nothing like Cal Wow so find something you can at least be comfortable with and move on. RIP is what I see for Wow.

I am in your weight range, and I have taken off 17 kilos by diet and running. I have no adverse symptoms. Lucky me. What are the warning signs that I should be aware of?

Once again, my sympathies for the guys that got screwed out of there memberships.

Thanks

At your weight I wouldn't be doing it even if your joints feel ok for now. That's a lot of pounding on ankles, knees and hips. I would look for more gentle ways to burn calories. The problem with running is you have momentum as well as weight to consider, which exponentially adds to the stress forces acting on your joints.

Ok from what I have read and from people I know who have trainer friends etc, it seems Cal wow pattaya is dead. I have read and heard all sorts of things, but the fact is the doors are shut and no one can say if they will ever open again since even the employees are left cluesless as to what is going on. Therefore, people might as well stop crying about it and find somewhere else to go. Yes they are not as wonderful as Cal wow, but they aren't bankrupt either so take the good with the bad. Tony has places all over pattaya and is advertising 1 year 10% off if you bring in your membership from wow and 20% off lifetimes, is opening a new big place on soi buakhao according to the banners, but customer service could use some work abd if you like it freezing cold it's not, works for me, not too hot or cold. Castra is just too far away, I have no idea about universal or fairtex as I haven't gone there. There are also a ton of hole in the wall places with a couple machines and a few free weights. Bottom line there is nothing like Cal Wow so find something you can at least be comfortable with and move on. RIP is what I see for Wow.

Are you doing a promotional campaign for Tony? Which Tony's do you train at? No one in their right mind would consider the plastic tent gym "not too hot". I've also heard some complaints from people who tried to train there that fume pollution from cars is a problem in there.

I suppose to survive the heat and pollution in there you need to train light for a short period of time and not breathe too deeply.

Well, facing the situation I will buy a monthly (and thus for my remaining time in Pattaya) membership at Universe... Argh (!), but I reckon the chances of C.Pattaya reopening (soon) to be about 10%.

Edited by Lukizatrus

Random guess..... They are trying to sell the Pattaya branch to generate some income for their core Bangkok business. They must have virtually no cash flow now since almost all of their income came from advance payments/training/classes.

Edited by ricklev

Random guess..... They are trying to sell the Pattaya branch to generate some income for their core Bangkok business. They must have virtually no cash flow now since almost all of their income came from advance payments/training/classes.

Good luck getting the equipment out under the standard lease with Siam Futures if you don't pay your bills you can be locked out and equipment, stock and fixtures seized in lieu of payment - before any internet warriors come trolling here - how do I know - I have a lease contract with Siam Futures.

Seriously my friend, you are just coming over like a man obsessed..

I meant exactly what I said. That many want something for nothing and that if you cannot adapt then you are the problem.

I train best in the open air. Being inside at all impacts on my training, but you don't see me here banging on about gyms having walls and a ceiling, so I can't train properly.

Then you spout theories about people giving up because CA Wow no longer exists. smile.png If they give up it has everything to do with themselves and little to do with CA Wow closing.

Look within yourself and stop whinging. Adapt and grow stronger.

Seriously my friend, you're talking to a guy who has trained for 36 years, not a novice. I've trained in all types of gyms all over the world. From basement dungeon type gyms to Gold's Gyms....including open air at the famous Venice Beach Gym.

While you're spouting here I've been having good workouts elsewhere and will continue to do so. I'll train anywhere I have to.

This thread is reserved mainly for whinging about the demise of California Wow, not a thread to brag about what a man you are because you can train in open air. I would suspect though that you're all talk and don't have a clue what hard training is about. You train open air so you can sweat more and think you're training hard. Smart people prefer to train in a cooler environment in tropical weather.

The only one bragging and spouting utter rubbish here is you. You have no idea how I train and your conjecture that I train in the open air because I was to sweat more is just stupid. I prefer to train outside because I like fresh air and breathing fresh air.

You haven't seen me here banging on about how hard and often I train, where I train etc. It is you who has been doing that throughout this thread. So please, give it a rest.

If you think that I am the kind of person who reserves comment only for Internet forums, you would be quite wrong. You are not the first gym whinger I've met in Pattaya. I tell them what I think too and help them to adapt their training if necessary.

I meant exactly what I said. That many want something for nothing and that if you cannot adapt then you are the problem.

I train best in the open air. Being inside at all impacts on my training, but you don't see me here banging on about gyms having walls and a ceiling, so I can't train properly.

Then you spout theories about people giving up because CA Wow no longer exists. smile.png If they give up it has everything to do with themselves and little to do with CA Wow closing.

You're talking to a guy who has trained for 36 years, not a novice.

While you're spouting here I've been having good workouts elsewhere and will continue to do so. I'll train anywhere I have to.

This thread is reserved mainly for whinging about the demise of California Wow, not a thread to brag about what a man you are because you can train in open air. I would suspect though that you're all talk and don't have a clue what hard training is about.

In the meanwhile, I'm about to head down the road for a squat workout. You're welcome to join me and I'll show you what hard training is all about. Don't worry, the gym is warm so you won't be getting cold.

Agree, and why is he so worked up about us complaining about Cal Wow. If he was forbidden to exercise outside, I wonder if he have any issues. Cal Wow was a nice gym and met your needs as a weight lifter and my needs as a cardio junky. I feel your pain in regards to lifting in the heat but trying to run 3:15 kilometer pace in a non AC/humid gym is borderline dangerous and my sweat is disgusting for others running near me.

Anyone can train well under optimal conditions. But real life does not always supply optimal conditions.

If some people here are as dedicated as they claim, then training in sub optimal conditions can increase fitness levels.

Seriously my friend, you're talking to a guy who has trained for 36 years, not a novice. I've trained in all types of gyms all over the world. From basement dungeon type gyms to Gold's Gyms....including open air at the famous Venice Beach Gym.

This thread is reserved mainly for whinging about the demise of California Wow, not a thread to brag about what a man you are because you can train in open air. I would suspect though that you're all talk and don't have a clue what hard training is about. You train open air so you can sweat more and think you're training hard. Smart people prefer to train in a cooler environment in tropical weather.

I note that you have edited out your squat challenge. But you'd have to be a good man to outdo me on squats, even when I'm out of shape.

I won't accept anything less than Powerlifter squats. If your arse is not cms from the floor, you are not squatting. You did well to remove your hasty challenge..

Well, facing the situation I will buy a monthly (and thus for my remaining time in Pattaya) membership at Universe... Argh (!), but I reckon the chances of C.Pattaya reopening (soon) to be about 10%.

Universe is Not the WOW but it is really not that bad. I really hope the WOW re-opens soon.

You're talking to a guy who has trained for 36 years, not a novice.

This thread is reserved mainly for whinging about the demise of California Wow, not a thread to brag about what a man you are because you can train in open air. I would suspect though that you're all talk and don't have a clue what hard training is about.

In the meanwhile, I'm about to head down the road for a squat workout. You're welcome to join me and I'll show you what hard training is all about. Don't worry, the gym is warm so you won't be getting cold.

Agree, and why is he so worked up about us complaining about Cal Wow. If he was forbidden to exercise outside, I wonder if he have any issues. Cal Wow was a nice gym and met your needs as a weight lifter and my needs as a cardio junky. I feel your pain in regards to lifting in the heat but trying to run 3:15 kilometer pace in a non AC/humid gym is borderline dangerous and my sweat is disgusting for others running near me.

Anyone can train well under optimal conditions. But real life does not always supply optimal conditions.

If some people here are as dedicated as they claim, then training in sub optimal conditions can increase fitness levels.

You might be on to something here. A change in training routine is always good.

I note that you have edited out your squat challenge. But you'd have to be a good man to outdo me on squats, even when I'm out of shape.

I won't accept anything less than Powerlifter squats. If your arse is not cms from the floor, you are not squatting. You did well to remove your hasty challenge..

Here you go, spouting again. Powerlifting squats are not cms from the floor. They are done to parallel. YouTube has hundreds of videos of the best competition powerlifters squatting, so don't take my word for it - check it out. If you look carefully, many don't even break parallel.

I really thought you were training outdoors to work up a sweat, so you can pretend you are training. Really.

... but you're on. Get your arse down to Castra tomorrow afternoon and show me what a man you are. Don't worry, it'll be hot so you're guaranteed a good sweat... and you can show me how you get your arse mere cm's from the floor with a wide powerlifting stance. I'd really like to see that. I'll bring a tape measure along. How many centimetres was that?

Your statement is absurd. Olympic athletes, including the fine athletes of your country, Australia, train in the best possible facilities money can buy. Sub optimal conditions will always yield sub optimal results. No one would be winning any medals training open air in the tropics.

More than likely you're a pretender who never works up a sweat except on your replies here.

Edited by tropo

Universe is Not the WOW but it is really not that bad. I really hope the WOW re-opens soon.

What's Universe like? Is It good for lifting, equipment wise? How big is it? What's the air con like? Busy?

thx for any replies!

Edited by TingTong187

Here you go, spouting again. Powerlifting squats are not cms from the floor. They are done to parallel. YouTube has hundreds of videos of the best competition powerlifters squatting, so don't take my word for it - check it out. If you look carefully, many don't even break parallel.

I really thought you were training outdoors to work up a sweat, so you can pretend you are training. Really.

... but you're on. Get your arse down to Castra tomorrow afternoon and show me what a man you are. Don't worry, it'll be hot so you're guaranteed a good sweat... and you can show me how you get your arse mere cm's from the floor with a wide powerlifting stance. I'd really like to see that. I'll bring a tape measure along. How many centimetres was that?

Ha ha... Castra tomorrow. smile.png

Apologies, when I referred to powerlifting squats, I refer to Olympic Squats. Nevertheless I am confident that I will outperform you in both disciplines. Powerlifting squats are easier.

You will have to wait until January when I'll decide whether I would like to meet. I'm just not that sociable. :)

Your statement is absurd. Olympic athletes, including the fine athletes of your country, Australia, train in the best possible facilities money can buy. Sub optimal conditions will always yield sub optimal results. No one would be winning any medals training open air in the tropics.

More than likely you're a pretender who never works up a sweat except on your replies here.

No, silly billy. First of all I'm not from Australia. Secondly, you'll find that athletes(including myself) train regularly in sub optimal conditions. For instance, at altitude, in the rain, in the snow, in the heat... They do so, so that that when they are put in optimal conditions it is that much easier. Then they are able to post faster times etc

If you train in optimal conditions only, you will be at a serious disadvantage if the competing conditions are sub-optimal.

Did you switch your brain on before you wrote that statement??

You need to stop writing this self aggrandising nonsense. It's boring. Really.

You need to get yourself a life outside the gym.

No, silly billy. First of all I'm not from Australia. Secondly, you'll find that athletes(including myself) train regularly in sub optimal conditions. For instance, at altitude, in the rain, in the snow, in the heat... They do so, so that that when they are put in optimal conditions it is that much easier. Then they are able to post faster times etc

If you train in optimal conditions only, you will be at a serious disadvantage if the competing conditions are sub-optimal.

Did you switch your brain on before you wrote that statement??

You need to stop writing this self aggrandising nonsense. It's boring. Really.

You need to get yourself a life outside the gym.

Competition olympic weightlifters and powerlifters don't train in sub-maximal conditions or lousy gyms. Most of them have absolutely amazing facilities to train in. Most competitive bodybuilders also train in great gyms. Gyms we an only dream of.

You might be talking about runners or endurance athletes. I thought we were talking about strength athletes and others who train in gyms.

Concentrate now. No more "self aggrandising nonsense", please.

I train 4 days a week at the gym. Plenty of life outside too - but thanks for your concern.

Edited by tropo

Apologies, when I referred to powerlifting squats, I refer to Olympic Squats. Nevertheless I am confident that I will outperform you in both disciplines. Powerlifting squats are easier.

Good luck squatting like that. That's one of the worst squats I've seen - you'll blow your knees out in no time flat. He's a very strong boy, but that's no way to squat. He's only 19 years old, but he won't last long.

Here's a much better example of good squatting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfNlxaASkgY&feature=related

Edited by tropo