What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

Until June's electricity bill is overdue for payment anyway.

Why all the negative discourse?

There seems to be a group of people who want California Wow to fail.

You're right Tropo - led by PP and FB - people who either don't use CaWOW, or gyms at all, but seem to get a kick out of having a dig at the place, disparaging the people that work-out there, and gloating when it closed. Very odd.

I'm back in Pattaya on Sunday and looking forward to my daily visits - and thanks for the updates.

I've not done any digging, disparaging or gloating.

If I were to I'd mention those people member are crying that they bought lifetime memberships and really expect them to last a lifetime because they didn't do any due diligence and find out the financial position of the company first.

Or those members that are acting like kids that have lost their favourite toy and can't figure out that they need to face reality and think about making other arrangements or change their workout routines instead of whinging on here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until June's electricity bill is overdue for payment anyway.

Why all the negative discourse?

There seems to be a group of people who want California Wow to fail.

You're right Tropo - led by PP and FB - people who either don't use CaWOW, or gyms at all, but seem to get a kick out of having a dig at the place, disparaging the people that work-out there, and gloating when it closed. Very odd.

I'm back in Pattaya on Sunday and looking forward to my daily visits - and thanks for the updates.

If I were to I'd mention those people member are crying that they bought lifetime memberships and really expect them to last a lifetime because they didn't do any due diligence and find out the financial position of the company first.

Or those members that are acting like kids that have lost their favourite toy and can't figure out that they need to face reality and think about making other arrangements or change their workout routines instead of whinging on here.

You are a good troll you know that.

New mobile phone section - the Ground floor bar is under construction spending a fortune on it by all accounts, clearing of level two has begun to make way for what I'm told is a massive bar and restaurant and the courtyard roof should be finished in next few weeks.

post-37218-134122063102_thumb.jpg

New mobile phone section - the Ground floor bar is under construction spending a fortune on it by all accounts, clearing of level two has begun to make way for what I'm told is a massive bar and restaurant and the courtyard roof should be finished in next few weeks.

That's the rumor I've heard. Lots of bars.

We're trying to keep this on topic for up-to-date info on California Wow for people who actually have some interest in the gym.

In other words - go away!

• 2 weeks later...

Ekkamai closed this evening.. looking grim. Think its time for me to move on

Sent from my new fangdangled walkie talkie.. over

Went for my morning work-out this am and its closed again - with the same notice-up re the power being turned off.

I wasn't the only disappointed member either - shame as I thought WOW were doing OK over the last couple of weeks.

Are you guys talking about California Wow in Pattaya? Was it closed today?

Just checked and the phone 038 399999 is off again. This is exactly 2 weeks since they last closed.

Edited by tropo

Please tell me Tony's tent isn't the only other option....

First time trying it out and quite frankly it's a dump sad.png

Take your pick. There's the other Tony's dumps, Fairtex, Universe, Castra and hotel gyms. That's about the size of it.

California gone leaves a huge hole in the gym market which I can't see being filled any time soon. Tony's huge presence makes it difficult for anyone to compete. He's basically flooding the market with dumps.

Some people are holding their hopes high for the new Tony's gym on Soi Buakhao but unfortunately Tony's gyms never seem to live up to Tony's marketing hype.

Looks like we're all going to have to rough it.

Edited by tropo

Yeah it's shut today. Notice on the door...

Thanks for posting that. I think it's probably about rent not being paid, not electricity.

I've seen them signing up people over the past 2 weeks. Let's hope they can get it going again.

I don't think anyone is surprised though. We were all kind of expecting it...

Edited by tropo

I'm going to take a look at Fairtex next week, Castra is a bit far out for me.

Such a shame, I really liked the Cali wow gym, it had everything a solid gym should have with good air con.

I came out of Tony's gym thinking maybe I'll never workout again, it was such a bad experience!

Such a shame, I really liked the Cali wow gym, it had everything a solid gym should have with good air con.

I came out of Tony's gym thinking maybe I'll never workout again, it was such a bad experience!

You trained at the Sport's World plastic tent?.. and this was an overcast, cooler day. Imagine what it's like on a hot, sunny day.

I would hold off on signing up at Fairtex. It's really small with little equipment and gets crowded really quickly. With California Wow closed they may get a flood of new members. There's only one pulldown station, one row station, one bench press.... few cardio machines. If there's 10 people in there it's crowded. They don't run the aircon real cool either.

Edited by tropo

Thanks for posting that. I think it's probably about rent not being paid, not electricity.

I've seen them signing up people over the past 2 weeks. Let's hope they can get it going again.

Np. Yeah I have my fingers crossed, but it doesn't look good. They need a big financial backer to come in save them, but their reputaion has been ruined because of the Bangkok bank bankruptcy suit.

I'm ever hopeful though, it's a good gym and it should be saved.

You trained at the Sport's World plastic tent?.. and this was an overcast, cooler day. Imagine what it's like on a hot, sunny day.

I would hold off on signing up at Fairtex. It's really small with little equipment and gets crowded really quickly. With California Wow closed they may get a flood of new members. There's only one pulldown station, one row station, one bench press.... few cardio machines. If there's 10 people in there it's crowded. They don't run the aircon real cool either.

It's not looking good then sad.png

Edited by TingTong187

Np. Yeah I have my fingers crossed, but it doesn't look good. They need a big financial backer to come in save them, but their reputaion has been ruined because of the Bangkok bank bankruptcy suit.

I'm ever hopeful though, it's a good gym and it should be saved.

Gees,I paid my yearly lifetime subscription yesterday,.....what a disaster,100 baht down the drain

Which is the best Tony's to workout at then?

Probably the plastic tent gym, believe it or not. There's more space and equipment in there than the other gyms, unfortunately it will be hotter. For cardio they have a special cardio room just across from there in the main gym complex. Let's wait and see what his new Soi Buakhao gym looks like when it opens.

I suspect a lot of the not so dedicated people will quit training because of this. It will take quite an effort to adapt to an inferior gym.

Edited by tropo

It's not looking good then sad.png

I wish I had better news for you. If California doesn't reopen, perhaps a membership at Tony's is your only choice because you get use of all his gyms. You may find one you can handle.

Edited by tropo

Oh well, looks like I'll have to sweat this one out until there is a better alternative!

It's not just the lack air con in Tony's tent, it's the way it's setup like a greenhouse to bring as much heat in there as possible.

Plus they don't have water fountains and the decor is just depressing! Walking outside into the sun felt cooler than being in there.

Just feels like a huge downgrade from California.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to sweat this one out until there is a better alternative!

It's not just the lack air con in Tony's tent, it's the way it's setup like a greenhouse to bring as much heat in there as possible.

Plus they don't have water fountains and the decor is just depressing! Walking outside into the sun felt cooler than being in there.

Just feels like a huge downgrade from California.

Yeah, tin roof and plastic walls would be nearly impossible to cool down here in the tropics. In 2010 when he was still "building" this (or should that be - "pitching this") he had signs in his other gyms: "prepared to be amazed".

He took all the free water out of his amazing gyms about 2 years ago - along with the free towels - and cut back on air-conditioning. He's a marketing genius. Don't get any lifetime deals.

Edited by tropo

Yes it’s quite comical how bad his gyms are. I mean why anyone would choose to train there unless there was absolutely no alternative!? I was certainly amazed, amazed that there were other people training there!

I just hope someone will come in and save that gym in the Avenue if California goes under. Whether it be Fitness First, True Fitness or even turn it into an independent gym. I would pay double to avoid the tent.

I’m praying that Tony don’t get his hands on it or any of the equipment!

Just checked and the phone 038 399999 is off again. This is exactly 2 weeks since they last closed.

As I said in my previous post electricity etc is due by middle of each month and as I said in the previous post it would be shut again by then.

The AVE already has someone wanting that space and I guess in their meeting in Bangkok Head Office on Wednesday they decided enough is enough.

As I said in my previous post electricity etc is due by middle of each month and as I said in the previous post it would be shut again by then.

The AVE already has someone wanting that space and I guess in their meeting in Bangkok Head Office on Wednesday they decided enough is enough.

Stop with the riddles and tell us who is this "someone wanting that space".

How would you know when an electricity bill is due? It would depend on when the tenancy was started.

Has anybody been there yet today?

Probably the only way they will be able to open again is through a court ruling. That won't happen on the weekend. Maybe this is why the landlord cuts the power on Fridays.

See you down at Castras?

Edited by tropo