Pheu Thai Launches Singing Contest To Stop Student Brawls

Lite Beer

I've heard it all now coffee1.gif

Bet you haven't. ;)

Just when you think you have heard it all, the moronocracy pulls out another classic. Clearly Chalerm has been buying a few rounds over the past couple of days

Bet you haven't. wink.png

Just when you think you have heard it all, the moronocracy pulls out another classic. Clearly Chalerm has been buying a few rounds over the past couple of days

Nooo. Never buying. The Chinese have been in town no doubt trying to stop the Yanks putting another NSA set up in Thailand, so he will have been gambei'ing all day and night glasses of Chateau latour (with ice cubes in) in the VIP suites of certain establishments that he disapproves of and will wipe out in 3 months.

Bet you haven't. wink.png

I live in hope that there is one more thing to hear..............I'm surprised to see they didn't say that the singing contest would end all student brawling within 3 months, everything else will be solved within 3 months, apparently. coffee1.gif

I wonder how this brawl will be..... "let it be....Bash..... let it be.... Slam..... Mother mary comes to me..... whoosh.... pls ask TAKSIN for the text... it ryhmes well..... Police report... I was beaten up to the sounds of music in thai rythem..... Police: please stop whinning.... start singing!

mmm, actually the movie "A Clockwork Orange" (for those old enough to remember) was the first thing that came to mind when I read this story, ' singing in the rain, just singing in the rain".

A preposterous solution to the problem Putting their heads in the sand and not addressing the issue with rule of law and consequences, realistic opportunity, educational improvement, and parenting. The whole idea of the contest has no role to play in student violence and fighting. Thais should just look at one thing - how will the "losers" feel? Will there be any resentments?

Laudable notion, but it just doesn't work. Chicago, is a sterling example. It is now in the midst of an unprecedented murder and shooting crisis " which has been fueled by an entrenched culture of gang violence". On its recent Memorial Day weekend 40 people were shot in the city. This has come despite an increased police presence and and the investment of social services resources. All sorts of church groups, and private social service agencies have been campaigning against the violence, all to no avail.

Bangkok's streets could be flooded with security personnel, millions of baht handed out and it still would make little difference.

The only guaranteed cure to the violence is aging, assuming these people are around to age. Violent crimes drop when a population ages and it is one of the reasons why cities where such crimes once were out of control, experienced the decrease. Yes, diversion projects help and yes, targeted police actions help, but as long as there are 15-25 year old males wandering about there will always be trouble. Males at this stage of development do not have the mental development to fully understand their actions. Unless they were raised in a proper environment when they were kids, they will typically make bad choices when older. What we see now is an attempt to deal with a problem, but not prevention. While everyone is scrambling to respond to the problem, a new generation of monsters is being plopped out.

The current situation is the result of 2 decades of growing corruption and a decay of Thailand's social order. Underemployment and social frustration is the order of the day. The end result is a destruction of the family unit, and a disregard for social cohesion and civility. One need only look at the violence of the protests, the pettiness of the politicans and their idiotic acts. Why would any marginalized young person behave when irresponsible politicans can get on a stage and call for violence, show contempt in the House, seize airports, burn down buildings etc. without any real consequences? When a PM appoints a person associated with a despot from Africa to her cabinet, or the leader of the Democrats allows a man facing murder charges to remain in his party and in the House, it speaks volumes about the rot that is endemic to Thailand's social fabric. Monkey see, monkey do.

• Like 2

The ruling Pheu Thai Party yesterday launched a singing contest aimed at easing the problem of inter-school brawls, particularly among vocational students.

'singing contest' versus 'vocational'?

Reminds me of the description 'oral sex': one says '<removed> you', the other replies '<removed> you too'

Excuses if this is deemed somewhat unappropriate

• Like 1

I see a lot of these students when I drive home from work, around 2 or 3am. They are always around the Narathiwat area. To be honest, they look about as harmful as a jar of worms. I was turning right at a Bangkok intersection last year and the police were trying to whip these kids off their bikes with chains.

I suppose it could be fun to nudge them off their bikes, but it scratches the truck.

It`s true, Music really does hath charms to soothe a savage breast.

So if you are ever confronted by a knife wielding thug or a crazed gunman, than all you need to do is sing at him and he will put away his weapon and walk away.

Every so often there is an uprising of thugs in Thailand whose aim is to go on the rampage causing havoc and terror. Last time it was the Samurai gang and now we have this present mob of scum going under the guise of students

These youths are just mindless thugs, terrorists in fact and must be treated as such. I really can’t see these vermin joining a singing corps or school quire. It has been proven worldwide that the softly, softly approach doesn’t work and Is just a waste of effort, time and money trying to transform these thugs into decent law abiding citizens. We are talking about psychopaths and murderers here, not naughty kids doing a little misbehaving.

Most of the Samurai gang conveniently disappeared and the public had a very good idea what happened to them and who dealt with the problem. No one lost any sleep over them.

Hopefully this mob will suffer the same fate and within the foreseeable future will also conveniently disappear and put out of action where they can`t do harm to anyone.

A preposterous solution to the problem Putting their heads in the sand and not addressing the issue with rule of law and consequences, realistic opportunity, educational improvement, and parenting. The whole idea of the contest has no role to play in student violence and fighting. Thais should just look at one thing - how will the "losers" feel? Will there be any resentments?

Laudable notion, but it just doesn't work. Chicago, is a sterling example. It is now in the midst of an unprecedented murder and shooting crisis " which has been fueled by an entrenched culture of gang violence". On its recent Memorial Day weekend 40 people were shot in the city. This has come despite an increased police presence and and the investment of social services resources. All sorts of church groups, and private social service agencies have been campaigning against the violence, all to no avail.

Bangkok's streets could be flooded with security personnel, millions of baht handed out and it still would make little difference.

The only guaranteed cure to the violence is aging, assuming these people are around to age. Violent crimes drop when a population ages and it is one of the reasons why cities where such crimes once were out of control, experienced the decrease. Yes, diversion projects help and yes, targeted police actions help, but as long as there are 15-25 year old males wandering about there will always be trouble. Males at this stage of development do not have the mental development to fully understand their actions. Unless they were raised in a proper environment when they were kids, they will typically make bad choices when older. What we see now is an attempt to deal with a problem, but not prevention. While everyone is scrambling to respond to the problem, a new generation of monsters is being plopped out.

The current situation is the result of 2 decades of growing corruption and a decay of Thailand's social order. Underemployment and social frustration is the order of the day. The end result is a destruction of the family unit, and a disregard for social cohesion and civility. One need only look at the violence of the protests, the pettiness of the politicans and their idiotic acts. Why would any marginalized young person behave when irresponsible politicans can get on a stage and call for violence, show contempt in the House, seize airports, burn down buildings etc. without any real consequences? When a PM appoints a person associated with a despot from Africa to her cabinet, or the leader of the Democrats allows a man facing murder charges to remain in his party and in the House, it speaks volumes about the rot that is endemic to Thailand's social fabric. Monkey see, monkey do.

Did I understand you rite you say Chicago is getting worse then cite examples that would make it safer. It is getting older.

"Our education system is unable to produce graduates with satisfactory working qualifications for the labour market..."

I am surprised no one quoted this. Finally someone speaks the TRUTH and we don't even acknowledge it!

• Like 2

"If you're Happy, and you know it, Clap Your (plastic) hands Feet !" rolleyes.gif

or perhaps an old classic "Fire", by the 'Crazy World of Arthur Brown', IIRC ? whistling.gif

then there's "We're All Going on a summer Thaksin-Holiday" w00t.gif

and "Red is the Colour of My True Love's Pyres, in the morning, when I rise" ermm.gif

"If you're Happy, and you know it, Clap Your (plastic) hands Feet !" rolleyes.gif

or perhaps an old classic "Fire", by the 'Crazy World of Arthur Brown', IIRC ? whistling.gif

then there's "We're All Going on a summer Thaksin-Holiday" w00t.gif

and "Red is the Colour of My True Love's Pyres, in the morning, when I rise" ermm.gif

'Dreaded Lockdown Holliday'

by 10cc short of a deciliter.

• Like 1

... imagine ... 16 and 18 year-old street toughies, exchanging their knives and guns for dance shoes, all holding hands and dancing and singing their ways to (uh, I hate to use this word) ... reconciliation ... just like in West Side Story ! ... this will be soooo cool! ... and wow, how suh-mart these guys are to figure this out!

Edited by swillowbee