Does Anyone Else Find The Service Crap In Thailand Or Is It Just Me.

steven100

Went to hotel pool bar once and asked for a chip sandwich, got a cheese one toasted, explained to server and got another sandwich, this time a crisp sandwich third time of asking got a chip sandwich but when checking bill was expected to pay for all 3.

What the heck is a chip sandwich? A crisp sandwich?

I know what chips are both sides of the pond, and I believe crisps only mean what chips do stateside, but haven't heard of any of these put between pieces of bread?

And if so, with what else?

I'm genuinely curious here, not taking the piss I swear. . .

Chip sandwich, fat french frys to you

Crisps are what you buy in a bag in 7/11 cheese and onion or so on.

Chip sandwich with brown sauce and a few beans..and vinegar, sarsons of course.....mmmm

Chip Buttiesmile.png

Oooh and a bannana buttie with sugar..:lol:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you go into a subway for a sandwich and you get a drink from the fridge ... you notice the drink is not cold ..in fact it's just below room temperature because the owner doesn't want to lower the setting as that costs money.

You simply advise the cashier that the drink isn't very cold ... so she looks at me like it's my fault. !

Same thing with ordering breakfast at the restaurant, I ask the waiter can the cook please make the eggs medium to hard ..not soft, not runny.

You have the silly attitude of a farang newbie. This is all just standard Thailand. Live here long enough and you get used to it and accept it like a Thai and don't even think about it. No point in upsetting yourself.

So, learn to stop being such a pussy. Drink the drink as it is, cold or not. Shut up and enjoy them dam_n eggs soft and runny if that's the way you get 'em.

Remember, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. smile.png

Years ago in Thailand and I went for meals GF orders Thai, I order western food, who's food arrives first, hers of course and mine ten to 15 minutes later, not on I say, food should be served together but oh no This Thailand.

I never let it bother me now just enjoy and accept unless was in a classier place and expensive then I'd expect better.

Went to hotel pool bar once and asked for a chip sandwich, got a cheese one toasted, explained to server and got another sandwich, this time a crisp sandwich third time of asking got a chip sandwich but when checking bill was expected to pay for all 3.

Oh well an experience.TIT.

It could have happened any place.rolleyes.gif

Ahfinditsayeexacklyrasame-rastanartaeinglishhereispitiful. Howaftendayyehuvtaesaysuh'intaegetachipbuttywifrenchfriesinitan'nocrisps?

That's why normally I just order things off the menu and point to them on the menu.

SC

What's a mucker, what's brown sauce, what's sarsons?

Are you from another planet?

Canuck mate if you are unaware of the existence of either brown sauce or Sarson's malt vinegar you should immediately cut your losses and kill yourself.biggrin.png

• Like 1

It's because alot of these tourists nowadays are rude in the first place especially the Russians and the Thais have had enough of their rudeness. and they they don't get paid enough for the amount of hours that they do.

Dont just single out the Russian, Indians, arabs's etc.....some of the most rude people I have observed were westerners

Brits, Yanks, German, Scandanvians..etc...

I’m not sure about that.

I have been in restaurants where there have been many Israeli and other Middle Eastern customers.

They are so rude; it really is cringe worthy to watch.

British food. They put it on steaks and burgers. Same with mayonnaise.

Stuff on a burger I understand, on a Steak? That's wrong. French fries in a sandwich, OK Lots of stuff works as a sandwich but bread and potatoes seems a bit redundant. I put gummie bears in a sub once, but I was 17 and had bad case of the munchies.

Never heard of the Canadian show Murdoch, I have been away a long time.

British food. They put it on steaks and burgers. Same with mayonnaise.

Stuff on a burger I understand, on a Steak? That's wrong. French fries in a sandwich, OK Lots of stuff works as a sandwich but bread and potatoes seems a bit redundant. I put gummie bears in a sub once, but I was 17 and had bad case of the munchies.

Never heard of the Canadian show Murdoch, I have been away a long time.

I never saw it in Canada. It was on Universal channel Asia.

French fries in a sandwich, OK Lots of stuff works as a sandwich but bread and potatoes seems a bit redundant.

A chip butty....real butter, proper chips (not french fries, or freedom fries if you prefer) proper vingar and HP sauce...

food of the gods...

French fries in a sandwich, OK Lots of stuff works as a sandwich but bread and potatoes seems a bit redundant.

A chip butty....real butter, proper chips (not french fries, or freedom fries if you prefer) proper vingar and HP sauce...

food of the gods...

I'm going to stand up here and make a confession but as a born and bred Englishman I've never liked tomato sauce on my chips. To be honest I don't really like it at all. Now HP sauce.......

I would be inclined to agree with u on that point but this isn't the thread topic we are talking about and they are in the service industry so like it or lump it and they should deliver the expected service IMO...

But "expected" is the key word, you have to pay a premium if you want staff that have been well-trained by management that have in turn been well-trained. So if you're at the Oriental sure, and you're likely to get it.

But from an ordinary place with ordinary management, here in Thailand you shouldn't expect a lot.

Then when you do get good service, simply because that particular member of staff is in a good mood or a particularly energetic and cheerful person, you can be pleasantly surprised.

Just make sure to patronize and reward it where you see it and you're doing your part to help that paradigm evolve here.

B&Ming when you don't get it is certainly not going to have the same result.

Have to agree u ....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Not much rattles my cage in this department apart from the "mai mee' attitude....Do you have this in...?..colour...?..size..?..any at all..? etc and without lifting a finger....."mai mee"

And what the F do you want them to do or say, they haven't got what you want so F off and let her get back to her nails!

And the owner of the shop doesn't care either BTW, doncha know you should be grateful to have the privilege of being allowed to step into the place.

Really, this happens all over the world, just take your custom elsewhere and stop whingeing. . .

555555 haaaa

the F word comes out

"what happened to calmly explain......"laugh.png

I have to agree with most of the replies, service, for the most part, had gotten better,

Go in the Home Depot in the states and try to get some one to help you.

as far as restaurants are concerned, I like the Tip system we use in the US,

it is a great motivator for good service,

There is a restaurant we always go to in KK, the food is always great but the service was not always the best,

every time we go there,we treat the workers with respect and good humor, and we always give the girl a good tip, you should see how the service has improved now, they literally fall over each other to help as.

The tip system in the US is out of control, there are looking for 15 to 20% even if you hated the meal and they are hostile if they don't get it.

You want to bring that here?

I have to agree with that view, I have been in restaurants in the US many times where not only has the food been awful the service has been abysmal and they still expect a tip.

My daughter lives in the US and it amazes me that she still gives a 20% tip even when she is served by sloppy and rude staff. The amazing thing is that she doesn't see anything wrong in it.

Same same when you go shopping at any reputable supermarket, they treat farang like an alien ..

1. Stop referring to yourself as farang, its a good start.

2. They have gotten used to foreigners, they don´t look up to us as much as they used to...

It's because alot of these tourists nowadays are rude in the first place especially the Russians and the Thais have had enough of their rudeness. and they they don't get paid enough for the amount of hours that they do.

Dont just single out the Russian, Indians, arabs's etc.....some of the most rude people I have observed were westerners

I would say the russians and the brits, are the rudest

The tip system in the US is out of control, there are looking for 15 to 20% even if you hated the meal and they are hostile if they don't get it. You want to bring that here?

I have to agree with that view, I have been in restaurants in the US many times where not only has the food been awful the service has been abysmal and they still expect a tip. My daughter lives in the US and it amazes me that she still gives a 20% tip even when she is served by sloppy and rude staff. The amazing thing is that she doesn't see anything wrong in it.

If you want to express dissatisfaction, it is perfectly appropriate to tip 15% or even less, maybe down to 10%.

20% should only be for good service.

In a very expensive place, lower's OK, a cheap diner less so.

That's the way it is, if you don't like it don't go there.

I'm just wondering if anyone else finds the hospitality industry & service here has gone down hill very fast in the past couple of years.

I go to many restaurants and eatery's every week and I can tell you that I have really noticed that the waiter or cook or cashier or bar staff are becoming more ignorant, lazy, unfriendly & rude day by day ....

I am not sure what it is but it's like when you go into a subway for a sandwich and you get a drink from the fridge ... you notice the drink is not cold ..in fact it's just below room temperature because the owner doesn't want to lower the setting as that costs money.

You simply advise the cashier that the drink isn't very cold ... so she looks at me like it's my fault. !

Same thing with ordering breakfast at the restaurant, I ask the waiter can the cook please make the eggs medium to hard ..not soft, not runny. The waiter finally understands after explaining it slowly and pointing to a picture ... however, the feeling I get is that the quick chat between the waiter and the cook was somehow sarcastic and the response is like you asked them to hand over there gold necklaces...

Same same when you go shopping at any reputable supermarket, they treat farang like an alien .. What ever happen to customer service in Thailand .. It doesn't exist !!

Thailand is really becoming a sad and sorry country from what I can see and this is a simple example of how thai's in the hospitality industry treat westerners ...

I consider myself to be fairly fair in being judgemental about anything as I always see two sides to any story but this is just so blatant and inexcusable.

I would be interested if others have had similar experiences....

whistling.gif

After being here For years now I personally think its the whole attitude towards foreigners / tourists has change for the worse hence everything else follows ...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I am not a Thai apologist by any stretch of the imagination, but in my 10 years of observations in Thailand, atitudes of foreigners towards Thai's leaves a lot to be desired as well...whistling.gif....have observed many farangs acting like old colonials towards their "natives"...so could we say it works both ways

Could not have said it better myself, I see it everyday...

I know what chips are both sides of the pond, and I believe crisps only mean what chips do stateside, but haven't heard of any of these put between pieces of bread?

Chip sandwich with brown sauce and a few beans..and vinegar, sarsons of course.....mmmm

As I said I know what chips and crisps are in brit-speak, just never heard of anyone putting them in a sandwich, seems bizarre to me, and can't say even have the desire to try it.

No wonder the staff had no clue what you meant.

Is that ever actually on the menu anywhere?

The tip system in the US is out of control, there are looking for 15 to 20% even if you hated the meal and they are hostile if they don't get it. You want to bring that here?

I have to agree with that view, I have been in restaurants in the US many times where not only has the food been awful the service has been abysmal and they still expect a tip. My daughter lives in the US and it amazes me that she still gives a 20% tip even when she is served by sloppy and rude staff. The amazing thing is that she doesn't see anything wrong in it.

If you want to express dissatisfaction, it is perfectly appropriate to tip 15% or even less, maybe down to 10%.

20% should only be for good service.

In a very expensive place, lower's OK, a cheap diner less so.

That's the way it is, if you don't like it don't go there.

why not tip zero ? and dont go back if the service is crappy or staff is rude ?

• Like 1

Service in Thailand is usually extremely good if based on the real friendliness of the staff. It is very poor based on product knowledge, finding needs and matching them with goods or handling problems. Not the staff's fault but the management for lack of training.

Thee standard management response "We cannot keep good staff." Is just a symptom of the manager's incompettance.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

I think every nation is quite capable of producing arrogant rude people, but to actually point a finger at any one nation is ridiculous.

I think every nation is quite capable of producing arrogant rude people, but to actually point a finger at any one nation is ridiculous.

Is calling another person ridiculous rude?

People that nation bash are very shallow in my opinion Kerry! We can all take the michael out of each other and nicely so, but in this case no it is not rude.

Now get off my case and concentrate on your own agenda!

Edited by edwinclapham

As I said I know what chips and crisps are in brit-speak, just never heard of anyone putting them in a sandwich, seems bizarre to me, and can't say even have the desire to try it.

seen plenty of our colonial cousins put french fries in their burger's in the US.....same idea....i guess you come from a really isolated part of the US

People that nation bash are very shallow in my opinion Kerry! We can all take the michael out of each other and nicely so, but in this case no it is not rude.

Now get off my case and concentrate on your own agenda!

Dont start kerry off....he will be accusing you of vile Anti-American rhetoric shortly...then theatening to send the men in black SUV's with blacked out windows round to your place...whistling.gif .....do you have oil in your garden...prepare to be invaded...thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

"Is that ever actually on the menu anywhere?"

Yes, Big Mango Bar suk soi 4.

You are given a choice of Thick Cut or Freedom Fries, and yes HP brown sauce is available.

Cost is about 80 baht from what I remember, perfect beer food.

Is calling another person ridiculous rude?

Whether one is ridiculous or not, one can still do ridiculous things. One does not need to wear a red nose or clown-feet to act like a clown, and when people point out our foolishness, we should reconsider, rather than trying to defend it. Sometimes, attack is not the best form of defence.

Sorry, Soutpeel: I should have multi-quoted this: I think I agree with BJBKK here - better to order things that are on the menu, than to try to recreate your favourites from home, as I said earlier, regardless of how internationally accepted our own favourite dish may be.

SC

Sorry, Soutpeel: I should have multi-quoted this: I think I agree with BJBKK here - better to order things that are on the menu, than to try to recreate your favourites from home, as I said earlier, regardless of how internationally accepted our own favourite dish may be.

????

I have never tried to order a chip butty off a menu in Thailand.....If I get the urge...I make my own...biggrin.png