Two Thai Men Confess To Killing Aussie Michelle Smith For '300 Baht'

webfact

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"round up the usual suspects."

I hope that the guilty parties are caught and brought to justice, but I do not have complete confidence in the impartiality of the system here. Two men with a criminal background caught within a few days. Case closed.

I though only one had such a background?

Well, there are over 200 posts in this thread and seems like 90% are negative about everything to do with the investigation and police efforts. First off unless I missed something the articles stated that as yet it is unknown whether the reward money will be paid. They stated that the reward had been offered and that they got some leads in the case. No where was any mention made about the police sharing in the reward, in fact in an earlier article the police offered half and the resort offered half. So no one knows at this point what the facts are with regard to the reward. What I cannot understand when I read the various threads on ThaiVisa is the vitriol expressed even when police seem to do a good job. The assumptions made by posters that they just picked up two guys at random is without any foundation. Previous articles stated that police were able to enhance the cctv footage and get a partial on the motorbike license, the reward offered brought in tips. Isn't it just possible that the police did their job? With all the corruption that exists, that does not mean that there are not police officials that cannot do the job when needed. What happens with the two individuals caught in this case rests with the Thai courts good or bad. In my mind it would take many millions of baht to make one confess to stabbing the victim, risk imprisonment, etc. Even in a land where corruption is rampant, It would be quite a conspiracy to get all the people involved paid off if you ask me. We all know that Thailand is a third world country. It rates near the bottom for corruption and it is at all levels, politicians, police, government workers, corporations, and the list goes on. This corruption and the lack of any ethics or morals in the society in general is why Thailand will need another hundred years, if they are lucky, to advance into a civilized society. With that said, I still enjoy visiting Thailand and the friends I have there which I have been doing since 1972. While I enjoy visiting, I certainly have no desire to live in a third world country like Thailand but many enjoy it and to each their own. But you would never know it for the comments made on Thai Visa. I enjoy keeping up with the news in Thailand and that is why I check in on Thai Visa. However reading the general tenor of posts on Thai Visa would give anyone the general impression that the expats in Thailand are a bunch of ignorant fools who can't make it in their home countries. They seem like a bunch of whining fools that do not read the original posted articles in depth and go right on to post their foolish, uninformed comments without regard to facts. Their comments and assumptions are as bad or worse that the articles of which they often complain. I do look to the comments posted for information but generally speaking the comments made add little to the original post and most often is just rubbish. It's one reason that this site has, in my opinion, become less and less relevant to me.

It seems as though you assume that most of the posters on here are expats, which may or may not be the the case. I will agree that many on this forum don't read before they post and make uninformed comments, which drives me up a wall at times. But I can always just choose not open thaivisa.com and avoid the frustration... As far as living here, it has it's good and bad points. Life is what you make it, wherever you choose to live... I am fortunate enough to maintain homes in more than one country, so I guess it gives me a bit different perspective than many on this forum... But I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic, other than the person murdered was a foreigner to Thailand, as am I...

Whats really sickening is that these low lifes aren't presented as hard core drug addicts doing anything to pay for their habit like typical yaba and crack heads,

They did it to pay a petty bar bill for drinks, with no regard for the value of life or consequence of actions, total pond scum.

dry.png

In turth, statistics show there are 2X the number of murders per capita in Thailand than in the "wild and wooly, gun-crazy USA." 2X !!

You might want to double check your facts (incorrect facts).

Not 2X vs the US. 2010 figures are that Thailand had 5.3 homicides per 100,000 population, the USA 4.8, Great Britain 1.23, and Australia 1.16.

• Like 1

I still believe that all foreign embassies issue a warning to it's citizens planning on visiting Phuket. A boycott of the area would definitely get the attention of all the "Big wheels" there and might even bring a change to this very corrupt area!!!!!

Really? Again?

Try googling "fatal robbery 2012" or "gang rape 2012" or "murder 2012" and you will see quite how numerous these type of violent incidents are worldwide today.

This was a tragic, unnecessary event but take it for what it really was, a bungled robbery that turned sour, clearly no intent to kill, clearly no premeditated murder. If there's one thing that any rational, functional person takes from this sorry tale it's not to resist a street robbery, your bag is not worth your life.

There will always be these type of robberies in areas where the disparity of wealth between the rich and the poor are so massive. Crimes like this should raise awareness of how people can minimise their chances of falling foul of such events, not promote knee jerk responses. I found the video posted quite shocking and the initial response from most people I know who saw that video was "Why did they fight back? Why didn't they just let go of the bag?".

I'd like to make it clear that I don't believe the victims were in any way are responsible for this crime and the guilt lies firmly with the robbers but I know this for sure - I am making it dam_n clear to my daughter, my sons, my friends and my family, that if someone attempts to steal your bag just hand it over and walk away, it's not worth losing your life over.

Far more disturbing events happen daily the world over, http://www.lasvegass...as-teen-killed/ Now that's what I call a disturbing crime, a 34 year old sodomising a 14 year old girl and then setting her on fire. Haven't read any similar reports in Thailand in all the years I've been here, but a surprising number of similar crimes happen in US each year... Quite how many tourists flock to Vegas each year? I don't recall too many foreign embassy warnings...

Please try to comment rationally and with some sense of perspective.

the US is a bit of an exeption to the rest of the civilised west , such as western and northern europe , you have to admit , ....3rd highest youth murder rate,highest prisoner rate,highest gun cime rate, highest murder rate with firearms , highest car crime and highest crime rate in the world , all per capita according to nationmaster , not good america, not good !!..............after seeing these figures i suggest all americans refrain from commenting on crimes commited by thais in thailand , makes thais look tame in comparison wai.gifermm.gif Edited by osiboy

I still believe that all foreign embassies issue a warning to it's citizens planning on visiting Phuket. A boycott of the area would definitely get the attention of all the "Big wheels" there and might even bring a change to this very corrupt area!!!!!

Really? Again?

Try googling "fatal robbery 2012" or "gang rape 2012" or "murder 2012" and you will see quite how numerous these type of violent incidents are worldwide today.

This was a tragic, unnecessary event but take it for what it really was, a bungled robbery that turned sour, clearly no intent to kill, clearly no premeditated murder. If there's one thing that any rational, functional person takes from this sorry tale it's not to resist a street robbery, your bag is not worth your life.

There will always be these type of robberies in areas where the disparity of wealth between the rich and the poor are so massive. Crimes like this should raise awareness of how people can minimise their chances of falling foul of such events, not promote knee jerk responses. I found the video posted quite shocking and the initial response from most people I know who saw that video was "Why did they fight back? Why didn't they just let go of the bag?".

I'd like to make it clear that I don't believe the victims were in any way are responsible for this crime and the guilt lies firmly with the robbers but I know this for sure - I am making it dam_n clear to my daughter, my sons, my friends and my family, that if someone attempts to steal your bag just hand it over and walk away, it's not worth losing your life over.

Far more disturbing events happen daily the world over, http://www.lasvegass...as-teen-killed/ Now that's what I call a disturbing crime, a 34 year old sodomising a 14 year old girl and then setting her on fire. Haven't read any similar reports in Thailand in all the years I've been here, but a surprising number of similar crimes happen in US each year... Quite how many tourists flock to Vegas each year? I don't recall too many foreign embassy warnings...

the US is a bit of an exeption to the rest of the civilised west , such as western and northern europe , you have to admit , ....3rd highest youth murder rate,highest prisoner rate,highest gun cime rate, highest murder rate with firearms , highest car crime and highest crime rate in the world , all per capita according to nationmaster , not good america, not good !!..............after seeing these figures i suggest all americans refrain from commenting on crimes commited by thais in thailand , makes thais look tame in comparison wai.gifermm.gif

I agree. I am a citizen of the USA and I never make comments about Thais committing more crime or murder. Interesting that citizens of most other countries usually seem to feel superior in some way to people born in the USA or Thailand on this forum. As if they could choose their country of birth...

• Like 1

death penalty gets my vote 2x thai scum that we can well do without

damage to tourism is already done along with all the other recent tragic events in that part of LOSCB Land of Sick Corrupt Bast....ds

rot in Hell

If people watched the news they may get to know a little more. Chumphoon resident gave information that led to the arrest and will be receiving the 300K reward..lets however see that most on here will say, must be a distant cousin of Phuket police.

If this is the criteria for an Embassy warning on one city, I guess they may as well close JFK, LAX, SFO ...etc. You do realize, that by the time I finish typing this, somewhere in the USA, someone just got robbed, raped, beaten, stabbed, shot ... or "all of the above?"

American here. Amen to that. Probably all of the above in any of the above mentioned areas. However, I don't know that everyone suspecting foul play in the apprehension of the suspects is 'off their rocker' so to speak. People have a right to be suspicious, not because it is Thailand, but because historically things that seem open and shut usually prove later on to be much more complex.

Edited by pacharaphet

Not forward thinking. Just show they care about something other than money. Cops should not have to be bribed with rewards to do the jobs they are paid to do.

Do you know what the base salary for police is in Thailand? I thought not... Why do you think they pay to be assigned to Phuket? Do you have a clue? Apparently not.

Haha, I know I dint have a clue about what you are attempting to articulate.

Re: you an Nisa

Okay, don't be a cop if you don't like the pay. Cops are not paid well in US either. Do your job or get fired. Screw the bonus. This was not a huge unsolved mystery. They had a live eyewitness, video tape of crime on CCTV and bar owner saying he knew who it was. Yep, bonus should be in order for solving that one.

Allowing police to accept rewards for solving crimes creates an inherent conflict of interest. Fundamental logic that need not be explained to those who refuse to get it.

Like I said, you don't have a clue what you're talking about... Try doing some reading instead of writing dribble. I don't have time to explain how things work in Thailand to you...

Just because that's the way things "work" shouldn't make it right or acceptable. Your simply endorsing an ideology that promotes corruption.

It would be difficult to imagine emabssies issuing warnings to their citizens advising not to travel to Phuket over this incident.

How many issued warnings back when the backpacker murders were occurring in Australia, just off the highway between Sydney and Melbourne? I'd suggest none (although I admit to not knowing if any or how many), and there were at least eight, along with some unsolved disappearances in areas where the perpetrator frequented, so possibly as high as 13 I think the police estimate.

I, for one, don't think the guy intended killing the woman, but rather that he was trying to slash her bag strap. Sure, it's a tragedy for her and her family, shouldn't have happened, but it did, and now he'll face a trial and just possibly face execution over his involvement. Some would argue that he was carrying a knife, and therfore guilty, but merely carrying a knife doesn't prove intent to murder. He may have intended slashing the strap, possibly even slashing her, but intending to kill her??? In my view, probably not, and without intent proved, he shouldn't be found guilty of murder, but of the lesser charge of manslaughter.

The Thai justice system may not be what foreigners expect, or as good as they believe their own systems are back home, but let the Thais run this investigation and trial.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Tourists have to be concerned when the Thai police say the 'reward' money is shared among the investigating police;

What is there to stop police setting up a tourist for a cheap kill then WHAMO " we have arrested the culprits"......where's our reward ! KOB KHUN MAK

Life is very cheap in Thailand. Stray dogs are treated and fed better than many humans in LOS.

Whats really sickening is that these low lifes aren't presented as hard core drug addicts doing anything to pay for their habit like typical yaba and crack heads,

They did it to pay a petty bar bill for drinks, with no regard for the value of life or consequence of actions, total pond scum.

dry.png

Then it is a drug-related crime, is it not?

Alcoholic drinks are drugs + committing a crime to pay for drugs = drug-related crime (among other things).

If you look objectively, you'll see that alcohol is the most harmful drug in Thailand.

.....all the locals were saying that this is the slowest low season they have ever seen, they blame crime against tourists, tuk tuk drivers and corruptionfor driving the visitors away.

The locals can also chalk up 'daily jet ski extortions' as a major factor for steering tourists away from Phuket.

Anybody find it interesting that given the international nature of this case it's off the front pages today? Thais don't really want tourists to know that you can be killed for a measily $10 whilst visiting this country. Also from what I remember the only mention of Yingluck's personal involvement came after they had located the suspects.

Edited by steffi

Really? Again?

the US is a bit of an exeption to the rest of the civilised west , such as western and northern europe , you have to admit , ....3rd highest youth murder rate,highest prisoner rate,highest gun cime rate, highest murder rate with firearms , highest car crime and highest crime rate in the world , all per capita according to nationmaster , not good america, not good !!..............after seeing these figures i suggest all americans refrain from commenting on crimes commited by thais in thailand , makes thais look tame in comparison wai.gifermm.gif

I agree. I am a citizen of the USA and I never make comments about Thais committing more crime or murder. Interesting that citizens of most other countries usually seem to feel superior in some way to people born in the USA or Thailand on this forum. As if they could choose their country of birth...

Apologies if my example, meant only to give a sense of perspective to this incident, has caused anyone, Americans in particular to feel inferior in anyway.

My point was to illustrate that when considering this crime and the types of crime we see in Phuket, calling for embassy's to issue travel warnings/ bans as a result of this incident is just plain ludicrous.

As you point out US tops crime statistics for many types of violent offence and seems to harbour much more disturbing individuals, committing far more disturbing crimes than we see reported in Phuket. Can't recall too many embassy's slapping warnings/ bans on travel to the US.... although the US have been known to do so for countries arguably safer than their own...

Haha, I know I dint have a clue about what you are attempting to articulate.

Re: you an Nisa

Okay, don't be a cop if you don't like the pay. Cops are not paid well in US either. Do your job or get fired. Screw the bonus. This was not a huge unsolved mystery. They had a live eyewitness, video tape of crime on CCTV and bar owner saying he knew who it was. Yep, bonus should be in order for solving that one.

Allowing police to accept rewards for solving crimes creates an inherent conflict of interest. Fundamental logic that need not be explained to those who refuse to get it.

Like I said, you don't have a clue what you're talking about... Try doing some reading instead of writing dribble. I don't have time to explain how things work in Thailand to you...

Just because that's the way things "work" shouldn't make it right or acceptable. Your simply endorsing an ideology that promotes corruption.

How am I endorsing the way things work here? Where did I say that? You don't think there is any corruption in the US?

Please spell the name of Phuket correctly. It is not Phucket. The spelling you are using is a negative slur against the whole island and its population. If it is deliberate it is both inappropriate and hypocritical. If it is just ignorance, that is forgivable. Thanks.

My apologies, just a habit of putting a c before a k.

Pfft. Since there is no "c" in Phuket, you're full of it. Apology what apology?

Off topic, but you are both wrong. In Thai it's spelled with the letter "G"wink.png

This re enactment thing was a circus, sure do the re enactment if they have to but why not block off and secure the street keeping the general public away.

Totally agree mate. Does nothing except to give the relatives more grief.

Only a comment but surprised the "pork", the finest money can buy, didn't close off the street and sell 100 baht tickets for a look. Looked like it drew a good crowd. Opportunity lost. I suppose they can't think past helmets and sharing reward money and traffic accident settlements. From all that I've read

I think they'd still be looking for the prerps if a concerned restaurantuer / waiter hadn't mentioned it to them.

My wifes sister works for a large hotel in Phuket (accountant) and the wife was saying last night that her sister and 4 others from her hotel were given 200 baht (by the Hotel), to go along to the re enactment apparently there was a friend of hers from another hotel there also. I said to my wife; I hope she didn't take the money and her reaction was why not? Yes it definately was a circus.

AGAIN the gangsters are from Nakhon Sri Thammarat ... is it only me or is it obviously very very often that many scumbags came from this area?

Whenever I read about a crime, its 80% ppl from Nakhon Sri Thammarat involved....

I think it is only you but sounds like you maybe had a girl burn you from Nakhon Si Thammarat and it is clouding your thinking. whistling.gif I am very familiar with the Nakhon and notice it when it comes up in the news.

You should try to visit. It is one of my favorite places in Thailand. Great people, easy to get to, inexpensive, relaxed, beautiful beaches, mountains, parks, water falls and lots of history.

Apologies Nisa but I would have to agree with Moskito's comment in part.

I follow all news in Phuket fairly closely as I live here with my young family and whenever any murder/ robbery takes place here it is virtually always committed by someone not native to Phuket... Nakhon Si Thammarat features with surprising regularity. I made this comment on an earlier thread before the identities of the killers were revealed and was not overly surprised to see my predictions come true.

There is a tangible resentment from families native to Phuket that people from other provinces come here, commit these sorts of crimes and in turn give Phuket a negative image. Unfortunately this is a sad reality of popular tourist areas the world over; many people are attracted by work/ money and have a positive impact on tourism, but with this influx you always get a bad element looking to exploit the situation and make an easy buck, Thais and Farang alike.

What makes this more pertinent to Phuket is the ease at which someone can drive onto the island commit a crime & leave absolutely no record of having even been here. I personally would like to see stringent ID/ number plate checks & records at the Sarasin checkpoint rather than sleeping policemen... some sort of deterrent to those looking for easy pickings in Phuket.

This re enactment thing was a circus, sure do the re enactment if they have to but why not block off and secure the street keeping the general public away.

Only a comment but surprised the "pork", the finest money can buy, didn't close off the street and sell 100 baht tickets for a look. Looked like it drew a good crowd. Opportunity lost. I suppose they can't think past helmets and sharing reward money and traffic accident settlements. From all that I've read

I think they'd still be looking for the prerps if a concerned restaurantuer / waiter hadn't mentioned it to them.

My wifes sister works for a large hotel in Phuket (accountant) and the wife was saying last night that her sister and 4 others from her hotel were given 200 baht (by the Hotel), to go along to the re enactment apparently there was a friend of hers from another hotel there also. I said to my wife; I hope she didn't take the money and her reaction was why not? Yes it definately was a circus.

That's a very sad and disappointing story

That's a very sad and disappointing story

Well I am sure that the Hotels are aware of the international media coverage of this story so the more they get along to such a thing the further it goes to rebuilding the image

What makes this more pertinent to Phuket is the ease at which someone can drive onto the island commit a crime & leave absolutely no record of having even been here. I personally would like to see stringent ID/ number plate checks & records at the Sarasin checkpoint rather than sleeping policemen... some sort of deterrent to those looking for easy pickings in Phuket.

Might that not also be a deterrent to inter-province tourists? Have you considered that this vast quantity of data would exclude plane, bus and boat arrivals, in fact anyone who didn't arrive in an out-of-province vehicle?

On the news this morning some Phuket natives were complaining about outsiders coming in and committing crimes.Historically Nakhon Sri Thammarat has a reputation for producing gunmen, and reading the news a disproportionate amount of crime seems to occur there.

Quote:

Well I am sure that the Hotels are aware of the international media coverage of this story so the more they get along to such a thing the further it goes to rebuilding the image

The hotels paying their staff to attend the reenactment to feign righteous indignation ?? <deleted> .....

Even I never would have thought of that one. But it does prove one of my favorite sayings about Asia. It is not mysterious in the slightest, just follow the money....

Also I was a bit sad to see the board consensus here seems to be that due to the high crime rate in America , its citizens should no longer be allowed to comment on any crimes committed here. Hence I look forward to insightful commentary on Thai crimes to be made by members of low crime European countries....

Not like Nahkon isn't the largest province near Phuket and any real thought is put into that there are many people from Nahkon in Phuket both victims of crimes and perpetrators as well as police, shop keepers, nurses ... But lets not let them reading an island newspaper stop them from generalizing about how 80% of the crimes in Thailand are committed by people from Nahkon and how other Thais think badly of people from there.

PHANG NGA is the biggest Province next to Phuket, then there is KRABI and SURAT ... dam_n, instead of posting and posting and posting here, you really should learn something about this country and its geographic ....

typical thaivisa.. immediately assuming there are 'real killers' and that every arrest is some sort of conspiracy, and that the 2 arrested were tortured into confessing.. even though there hasn't been anything to suggest this is happening.. they always find these guys so fast because they have surveillance cameras everywhere and they put 100 cops on every hi-profile case, especially one that involves the killing of a foreign tourist..

HMMM - You don't read much do you..??

Foreigners arrested for crimes routinely report torture until they confess - guilty or not...