NASA Cancels Climate Studies In Thailand

webfact

Basically a environmental study which would ultimately declare Thailand as a major source of atmospheric pollution in the area among other,

Don't understand why the Thai's would be reluctant, ...

On the other hand the cover, scientific weather research hails all the way back to the U2 era,

Most likely special governmental entities as in the Company, already have in place facilities in the area that can support special ops, drone or logistically support.

dry.png

Edited by cobra

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is what the US has to deal with thanks to its record of aggression and asserting itself on smaller countries. This mission was most likely in good faith and would have been beneficial to the causes of science and environmentalism, but the world is simply wary and distrustful of the US, Thailand included. I'm American, but the truth is obvious even to me.

The US record of "aggression, (not strong enough a word) is a horror known throughout the world. But, had this been a straightforward military venture, Thailand would have accepted it quickly, with open arms. The fact that it was "just" science interested the administration very little, obviously. No clear path to profit, methinks. Can picture the discussion-"science? science?...we don't need no stinkin science".

If not for the US all of Europe would be speaking German and the Eastern part of the world would be speaking Japanese....

Clearly an issue of NASA not understanding Thainess.

One of these days the Thais will figure out the world is not flat and Thailand is not the center of the universe, and they may actually learn something from some of the best scientists in the world. Nah, who am I kidding?

• Like 2

UPDATE:

THAI-US RELATIONS

Nasa calls off weather research project

The Nation

30185159-01_big.jpg

US agency says delay in getting the necessary approvals from authorities forced cancellation

Bangkok: -- The US National Aeronautics and Space Administration has called off its weather-research project after a delay in the granting of permission to use the U-tapao airbase.

Nasa announced on its website on Tuesday that the Southeast Asia Composition, Cloud, Climate Coupling Regional Study (SEAC4RS) mission had to be cancelled because of the absence of necessary approvals by regional authorities in the time frame necessary to support the mission's planned deployment and scientific observation window.

Nasa's Twitter site also announced the cancellation, saying: "We have, unfortunately, had to call off this airborne science mission planned for Southeast Asia this year." Nasa had planned to launch the project for two months in August and September but stiff opposition in the Kingdom over the issue barred the Thai government from granting a quick approval for the project.

The opposition Democrat Party accused the government of having a hidden agenda of allowing Nasa to conduct the research for military purposes to contain China in the Asia-Pacific region in exchange for a US visa for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Democrats, together with some senators, demanded that the government bring the Nasa proposal before Parliament for approval in accordance with Article 190 of the Constitution.

The Cabinet decided on Tuesday that it would put the project for debate in Parliament, which will not pass any resolution after the debate.

The decision consequently delayed the project, as Parliament will open for the next session only on August 1.

Parliament President Somsak Kiartsuranon said the planned debate on Nasa's request would also be cancelled, as the US space agency was no longer seeking use of U-tapao. It was regrettable that it had cancelled the project, he said.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said earlier that he would file a lawsuit against the Democrat Party for its failure to bring the project for consideration by Parliament when it was in power in 2010.

Nasa had signed a joint statement with the Thai Science, Technology and Environment Ministry's Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) in September 2010 to show their intention to conduct the research.

Opposition Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, who was prime minister of the previous government, said yesterday that his Cabinet had nothing to do with the project, as GISTDA is a public organisation with full authority to undertake scientific cooperation with another agency.

The joint statement signed by Nasa and GISTDA when he was in the power was not linked to the current project proposed by Nasa, he said.

The SEAC4RS was initially planned to be Nasa's most complex and ambitious airborne science campaign of the year.

The project was to be led by Brian Toon, chairman of the University of Colorado's department of atmospheric and oceanic sciences.

Dr Toon is a veteran of Nasa airborne campaigns, including flights to study the Antarctic ozone hole and the atmospheric effects of volcanic eruptions.

Abhisit said the opposition did not oppose the project but wanted the government to conduct it with transparency, as he had learned that Chinese media had raised concerns about military confrontation in the region.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-29

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said earlier that he would file a lawsuit against the Democrat Party for its failure to bring the project for consideration by Parliament when it was in power in 2010.

As soon as he's back from Dubai he'll do so I assume?

This is what the US has to deal with thanks to its record of aggression and asserting itself on smaller countries. This mission was most likely in good faith and would have been beneficial to the causes of science and environmentalism, but the world is simply wary and distrustful of the US, Thailand included. I'm American, but the truth is obvious even to me.

I agree but I am not sure that the intent of the mission was to benefit science. The photo on the front page of the BKK Post showed the supposed weather plane. They used to be called U2s during the Cold War and their purpose was far from being weather data collection

Yep. The US is going to use outdated U-2s based in Thailand to spy on China (or maybe they are within range of the Middle East!). Better they should have junked them, along with the SR-71s, rather than using them for scientific purposes. After all, once a spy plane, always a spy plane.

The basic U-2 airframe is now used in ER-2s. The aircraft does fly high and for long durations and makes for an excellent science platform and can carry a decent sized payload. These planes fly with all the modern and required aviation transponders, lights, etc. They are not spy planes. Exercises like this, bringing down some kids from college on a field trip, seeing some real-world weather and aerosol monitoring devices could have stimulated so many minds of student physicists, engineers, etc. Sad it was canceled for no good reason. NASA would have paid for all the needed airfield support services.

Edited by gk10002000
  • Like 1

I am Thai and I am grateful for everyone who against this plan.

Turn off your computer, get the electricity disconnected and stop eating farmed food while you are at it. The next time you are sick, don't go to the doctor. Science is an evil thing.

Wake up and look around man. Jeez...

Maybe that poster is from North Carolina: http://www.care2.com/causes/nc-ignores-science-tries-to-make-sea-level-rise-illegal.html

• Like 1

As soon as he's back from Dubai he'll do so I assume?

This guy is a laugh a minute, when he opens his mouth.

Basically a environmental study which would ultimately declare Thailand as a major source of atmospheric pollution in the area among other,

Don't understand why the Thai's would be reluctant, ...

On the other hand the cover, scientific weather research hails all the way back to the U2 era,

Most likely special governmental entities as in the Company, already have in place facilities in the area that can support special ops, drone or logistically support.

dry.png

Thailand would be far from the only large scale polluter in the area.

While scientific research has been used at times as cover for espionage or monitoring,

it usually ALSO was actual scientific research that benefited many.

So even if there is one ringer in the room full of babies,

no sense throwing them all out because of the one,

they will find some way to monitor regardless of what projects are happening.

But the science is useful / needed regardless.

Brain dead Thai officials once again stopping progress and opportunity in their country. Are they wary of America spying on China from their country?? If America really wants to spy using the Dragon Lady (U-2) they could just use satellite or have the USAF launch from Okinawa. I believe NASA has also the SR-71 and that would be a treat to introduce into Thailand but Thai officials would probably say they have a faster aircraft and have no need for Habu (SR-71).

All SR-71 aircraft have been permanently retired. With the original tooling destroyed the first time they were retired, no spare parts are available. No flying capable aircraft are available at any price. It's been that way since October 1998.

As has been reported, the issue is a purely domestic politics problem. The PTP was worried that if a cabinet resolution was passed approving the mission, someone would file a lawsuit saying they had overstepped their bounds and they cannot make an agreement involving national security and sovereignty.

The Council of State had already ruled that it was within the constitutional rights of the cabinet to approve the mission, but they could debate in a parliament and have a non-binding vote on it.

The cabinet took the easy way out and voted to have a parliamentary debate (which cannot take place until August when it reconvenes)

TH

Essentially what you are saying is that Thailand has a nearly dysfunctional form of governance. That is the reality this nation is dealing with. That is part of what it taking the country in a slow, backwards direction. There is little in the way of true advancement here. Many of us love living here, but we see the nonsense quite clearly. Nepotism, cronyism, corruption on a massive scale, press censorship, false morality, and transparently false righteousness, from people as high up as the deputy PM.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had announced on Tuesday that her Cabinet was forwarding the NASA request to use U-Tapao naval airbase to conduct atmospheric studies to Parliament for a non-voting debate for transparency following heavy criticism from the opposition and critics.!!!!! Seems like the politicians in this country have the interlectual capacity of a fried egg.

I read that when this was previously submitted to the Dem Government it had been agreed without issue, then with the change of Government the Dems changed tact and decided to oppose the plans... can anyone shed any light on this aspect? Seems strange that they would switch stances from being in power to becoming the opposition.

That is the game of Abhisit and his cronies, anything that tries to make the government look good or good for the country they will oppose it, many many more people are starting to see this now. Which will go on to prove tat the Dems couldn't win an election if they tried, like very small children.

Edited by metisdead
: Corrected misspelling of Abhisit's name.

Wow! but what can you say it seems like the USA has been trying to help Thailand people like the flooding victim's and now NASA but the Thai government just want our tourist dollars only that's ok I still love Thailand and it's lovely people if they ever need my help I will help. from A farang man.

As though Nasa studying the climate over South East Asia has any direct benefit to the USA.

you may be on to something there...

If Thailand isn't worried about understanding the South East Asian monsoon better, stuff them.

...not quite the direction I was thinking.

Clearly an issue of NASA not understanding Thainess.

One of these days the Thais will figure out the world is not flat and Thailand is not the center of the universe, and they may actually learn something from some of the best scientists in the world. Nah, who am I kidding?

One way to be wise student, you have to choose right teacher.

A lot of people are throwing insults at the red shirt part of the government in this -- when it's actually the 'yellow shirt' democrats that messed this all up -- join by what someone has posted: the democrats approved this during their term but are now opposing it.

Simply put: "If we can't have the credit... let's throw a tantrum."

Turn off your computer, get the electricity disconnected and stop eating farmed food while you are at it. The next time you are sick, don't go to the doctor. Science is an evil thing.

Maybe that poster is from North Carolina: http://www.care2.com...se-illegal.html

Unbelievable. I am avoiding North Carolina at all costs. ...and I thought all the stories I've heard about NC were 'over the top'. Completely speechless, I am.

Understanding the climate has benefits for everyone and does indirectly benefit North America. The US climate and ocean current models predicted that the Japanese tsunami debris wouldn't make it to North America for another 2-3 months. Currently, parts of Canada and the USA are covered with Japanese debris, that no one was expecting. Current weather models on tracking weather always need to be updated and the attempt by NASA was part of that updating.

Thailand has a hard on for nuclear energy. Ever wonder what would happen if there was a catastrophic leak at one of those nuclear power stations? Unless one has an understanding of weather patterns, one really won't be able to predict where the radioactive clouds will go. Will they track directly across the pacific or move up to Vietnam and China first before sweeping out over other asian countries? Only a current study of atmospheric conditions will allow a reliable prediction.

Do you understand the implications of your statement? Do you ever wonder why Thai scientists are not usually cited in original scientific research papers and why Thailand has never won a major award or prize in the sciences? Inpart it is because they do not have the opportunity to participate in the research because of people like you that deny them opportunities.

You may not understand it, but your position is a slap in the face to the Thais that have waited for this opportunity. You are saying that they are not important and do not matter.

Do you recall that during the flooding last year, the weather predictions and climate modeling was not as reliable as it is in other countries such as Japan, Korea and Singapore? Do you think it has something to do with there being limited research into the weather and that the models used were not reflective of normal changes in the atmosphere that occur with time?

The US record of "aggression, (not strong enough a word) is a horror known throughout the world. But, had this been a straightforward military venture, Thailand would have accepted it quickly, with open arms. The fact that it was "just" science interested the administration very little, obviously. No clear path to profit, methinks. Can picture the discussion-"science? science?...we don't need no stinkin science".

If not for the US all of Europe would be speaking German and the Eastern part of the world would be speaking Japanese....

What's the problem of speaking japanese and german?

Your statement as a native shows us why Los will always be in the Dark Ages with your silly stance on everything. rolleyes.gif

What's the problem of speaking japanese and german?

Nothing. It comes in very handy for the people that work in Pattaya and Patong.

Mind you, my family members spoke both languages. Unfortunately, it didn't help them when the Japanese invaded China and set about torturing, starving and murdering the locals. Had it not been for the sacrifice of the Americans,(and commonwealth volunteers) several of my family members most likely would have perished in a Japanese concentration /slave labour camp. Their Australian neighbors did.

• Like 1

Maybe that poster is from North Carolina: http://www.care2.com...se-illegal.html

Unbelievable. I am avoiding North Carolina at all costs. ...and I thought all the stories I've heard about NC were 'over the top'. Completely speechless, I am.

That's The Tea Party for you. I think Tea Bagger Party is a better name, since they have the Right Wing American Taliban GOP nads in their mouth.

Edited by thaimat

As has been reported, the issue is a purely domestic politics problem. The PTP was worried that if a cabinet resolution was passed approving the mission, someone would file a lawsuit saying they had overstepped their bounds and they cannot make an agreement involving national security and sovereignty.

The Council of State had already ruled that it was within the constitutional rights of the cabinet to approve the mission, but they could debate in a parliament and have a non-binding vote on it.

The cabinet took the easy way out and voted to have a parliamentary debate (which cannot take place until August when it reconvenes)

TH

It's incredible the number of important decision that are delayed because the current government and MPs are scared that they can be used against them to create more trouble and forment unrest.

The democrats act like spoiled children. The government is our toy and if we can't have it, we're going to break it so nobody can have it.

First they were ready to start a war with Cambodia to delay an election they knew they were going to lose. They now prefer to be caught dead than to accept that the American find the current government a more acceptable interlocutor than them.

The "action" with Cambodia was started by Thaky and his friend Hun Sen, before Abhisit came into office. Good idea to check facts before posting.

What "action" are you talking about ?

The relation with Cambodia was pretty peaceful before the coup ...

Crushdepth,

I never met doctor for years because I eat natural food not formed food as you mentioned.

And If people can communicate by telepathy, smart phones / computers will become nothing but rubbish causing the world polluted.

yet, there is a limit : telepathy will be efficiently used only among people whose mind is tranquil and empowered. How can we use it while most people's mind is always distracted by daily incidents, life, jobs, family, entertainment, etc.?

Although many men able to speak mind to mind, it's not easy to transmit their ideas to you directly since your mind can't easily receive it, in additon, it consumes much power that is different from communicating among their kind.

That's why computer is still necessary. Maybe,It's not my fault to use computer but it's yours. Your lack of ability.

Science benefits the world in many ways but it's not everything we have, it's not the peak of mankind and sometimes it blinds you from real power within. Don't be too absorbed in it, open your mind you'll see clean energy.

By the way, the US claimed that it's all about science and technology aid nothing more. But the truth lies beneath the surface, you know and I know. That's why I against this plan. For thailand, US is a friend while China is next of kin. We won't be used as a base to harm our neighbors anymore.