Hat Yai

drum

planning a trip to yat hai,never been there before,so will land in bkk,any information how to get there,also hotels, beach, night life,where to go where not to go,general information for a tourist,

Well, to be honest, it is quite unusual to fly into to Thailand and head straight down to Hat Yai for tourism purposes. It is not much of an interesting place, however its little brother, Songkhla town has its charm that makes it enjoyable.

Get there by train, bus, plane. I prefer the latter option as the distance is quite considerable, 950 km.

Book hotels online, they are fairly cheap in Hat Yai, or get a hotel after arrival.

you can visit the town centre, Gimyong market, Floating market, Wat Hat Yai nai, Cable car, Tangkuan hill, Samila beach, Tho Nga Chang waterfall.

Beach, 30 km, called Samila beach. Quite a long stretch of sandy beaches. Although it seems ok I have never seen anybody dipped into the water there and this time of the year the sea can be quite rough. There is the "famous" Tangkuan hill in close proximity where you can meet hoards of monkeys, watch your valuables.

As for the nightlife, there is an abundance of nightclubs and Thai style live music pubs tucked away around Hat Yai. You can find many places right in the centre. Get around by tuk tuk or Song taew. Price starts from 20 baht for short distances.

I don't know of any "no-go" places in Hat Yai, but I would not rule out the existence of them.

You can get the same street food as usually around Thailand. The town is fairly safe apart form the occasional terrorist movements by the southern insurgents that cause disruption at odd times.

Edited by garrya

Well, to be honest, it is quite unusual to fly into to Thailand and head straight down to Hat Yai for tourism purposes. It is not much of an interesting place, however its little brother, Songkhla town has its charm that makes it enjoyable.

Get there by train, bus, plane. I prefer the latter option as the distance is quite considerable, 950 km.

Book hotels online, they are fairly cheap in Hat Yai, or get a hotel after arrival.

you can visit the town centre, Gimyong market, Floating market, Wat Hat Yai nai, Cable car, Tangkuan hill, Samila beach, Tho Nga Chang waterfall.

Beach, 30 km, called Samila beach. Quite a long stretch of sandy beaches. Although it seems ok I have never seen anybody dipped into the water there and this time of the year the sea can be quite rough. There is the "famous" Tangkuan hill in close vicinity where you can meet hoards of monkeys, watch your valuables.

As for the nightlife, there is an abundance of nightclubs and Thai style live music pubs tucked away around Hat Yai. You can find many places right in the centre. Get around by tuk tuk or Song taew. Price starts from 20 baht for short distances.

I don't know of any "no-go" places in Hat Yai, but I would not rule out the existence of them.

You can get the same street food as usually around Thailand. The town is fairly safe apart form the occasional terrorist movements by the southern insurgents that cause disruption at odd times.

thank you for the information,is there regular flights from bkk to Hat Yai ,

Beach, 30 km, called Samila beach. Quite a long stretch of sandy beaches. Although it seems ok I have never seen anybody dipped into the water there and this time of the year the sea can be quite rough. There is the "famous" Tangkuan hill in close vicinity where you can meet hoards of monkeys, watch your valuables.

Yes, if my memory serves me right, there are about 10 daily flights from Bangkok, including Air Asia, Nok Air, Orient Thai and Thai Airways. There is also a daily flight to KL and Singapore.

i take it that hat yai as its fair share of tourists,or not due to some terrorist goings on,

Drum, the running joke is, if you don't like someone, tell them to go to to Hat Yai.

I was down there for a night last year, transiting to Kuala Lumpur, it has very little, going on nothing, to commend it. It's not a tourist oriented town, it's a transit point at best. I say avoid.

ps. If someone recommended Hat Yai to you, go kick them on the stones. coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether

You'll probably run into more Malaysian tourists, than western ones, in Hat Yai and area, if they speak English quite well, that is where they are from...but a friendly bunch I find....

Songkhla city as mentioned is about 30 kms, with a beach... not too bad, but there are better areas in Thailand....

If you want to venture north a little and like the out door nature stuff, Thali Noi lake is one of Thailand's best kept secrets IMO ....... head up to Pattilung, (sp?) then about 20 kms east... there are a few places to stay in Thali Noi Village.

There would be tour buses doing day trips, that might be worth taking, then do the long boat trip around the lake.

I'd say nothing ventured nothing gained.... you'll either like it or not go back! I quite like the area myself!

Edited by samuijimmy

you mention pattilung,,do you mean patthalung,,i know this town been there a few times,,thali noi lake,is that the lake the government has just sold of to locals to open as a tourist attraction,,maybe the same one,,been there,,

just wanted to travel south more,, but have no idea whats there or what to do,,

you mention pattilung,,do you mean patthalung,,i know this town been there a few times,,thali noi lake,is that the lake the government has just sold of to locals to open as a tourist attraction,,maybe the same one,,been there,,

yes "patthalung "that might be another variation on spelling, as you know if you have been to Thailand, signs can vary as to spelling of a particular place... on the coast near Thali Noi, is a town called Ranot, or Ranod, depending who wrote the sign! Very much a farming and fishing community... problem is in some of these areas there are not a lot of places to stay ....

Home stay is becoming a "buzz" word in the area ... but you find it very basic for around 200 baht a night ... It depends if you want basic living on the road less traveled or the "safety" of "city living"... in rural areas not many people speak English, but you always get by..... I do anyway!

What you mention about the government selling off part of the lake area, I had not heard, but it is already a tourist destination .... but rarely do you see westerners.... but I think that will change with more resorts, it has improved in the last five years, since I first went, in that regard. (I stay with locals though)

The three "troubled provinces" in the south, are "pretty" but even though I drove through them last summer, it is a risk.... but then too is crossing the road anywhere ! That choice can only be yours....

Heading towards Trang is quite nice too, but not really set up for tourists.... National Parks are usually worth seeing if that is your "bag".... The thing is if you don't like a place it is easy to move on....

Going on a wild goose chase can be fun, it comes down to what you like ! You can malls and Tesco anywhere!

• Like 1

Don't go on a wild goose chase drum.

Stay in central Hat Yai for a day or two and then visit Songkla.

Songkla is my favourite but very quiet.

Endless white sand beaches to walk at sunset time!!

...it's also crawling with thais at that time...for what it's worth..

At night ,in Songkla, go up Si Suda rd...there are a few farang bars(no hostess), if you are so inclined.

On Sunday, there is a huge market in the middle of town.

Actually the two towns complement each other perfectly.

Songkla offers the 'beach' lifestyle,minus the tourists and Hat Yai is a bigger more commercial place with Carrefour,Tesco and a few shopping malls,movie theatres etc.

Songkla has none of the above.

If you need hotel recommendations PM me.

i like the sound of songkla,how far away is hat yai town,,will need hotel information for both towns,,all and any info will be helpful

no i dont need the company of a hostess,but thanks to point it out,,

yes "patthalung "that might be another variation on spelling, as you know if you have been to Thailand, signs can vary as to spelling of a particular place... on the coast near Thali Noi, is a town called Ranot, or Ranod, depending who wrote the sign! Very much a farming and fishing community... problem is in some of these areas there are not a lot of places to stay ....

Home stay is becoming a "buzz" word in the area ... but you find it very basic for around 200 baht a night ... It depends if you want basic living on the road less traveled or the "safety" of "city living"... in rural areas not many people speak English, but you always get by..... I do anyway!

What you mention about the government selling off part of the lake area, I had not heard, but it is already a tourist destination .... but rarely do you see westerners.... but I think that will change with more resorts, it has improved in the last five years, since I first went, in that regard. (I stay with locals though)

The three "troubled provinces" in the south, are "pretty" but even though I drove through them last summer, it is a risk.... but then too is crossing the road anywhere ! That choice can only be yours....

Heading towards Trang is quite nice too, but not really set up for tourists.... National Parks are usually worth seeing if that is your "bag".... The thing is if you don't like a place it is easy to move on....

Going on a wild goose chase can be fun, it comes down to what you like ! You can malls and Tesco anywhere!

if its the same town we are talking about patthalung,there is a huge fresh water lake on the out skirts of town,i have seen tourist there mostly thai,im sure the locals have been given permission to build log cabins and eatireis for touring folk on the banks of the lake,my interest is hat yai and as mentioned songkla,so any info will be helpful,

Don't go on a wild goose chase drum.

Stay in central Hat Yai for a day or two and then visit Songkla.

Songkla is my favourite but very quiet.

Endless white sand beaches to walk at sunset time!!

...it's also crawling with thais at that time...for what it's worth..

At night ,in Songkla, go up Si Suda rd...there are a few farang bars(no hostess), if you are so inclined.

On Sunday, there is a huge market in the middle of town.

Actually the two towns complement each other perfectly.

Songkla offers the 'beach' lifestyle,minus the tourists and Hat Yai is a bigger more commercial place with Carrefour,Tesco and a few shopping malls,movie theatres etc.

Songkla has none of the above.

If you need hotel recommendations PM me.

i like the sound of songkla,how far away is hat yai town,,will need hotel information for both towns,,all and any info will be helpful

no i dont need the company of a hostess,but thanks to point it out,,

It's around 30minute drive from Hatyai... There's no point for you to overnight at Songkhla, because there's little to no night life.. Advisable just to overnight at Hatyai..

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

i take it that hat yai as its fair share of tourists,or not due to some terrorist goings on,

Drum, the running joke is, if you don't like someone, tell them to go to to Hat Yai.

I was down there for a night last year, transiting to Kuala Lumpur, it has very little, going on nothing, to commend it. It's not a tourist oriented town, it's a transit point at best. I say avoid.

ps. If someone recommended Hat Yai to you, go kick them on the stones. coffee1.gif

“Drum, the running joke is, if you don't like someone, tell them to go to Hat Yai”

Dear thebiether can you please express what you actually means? Your transit for a night last year did not bring you anywhere. Yes you may find it boring, did not know where are the joints, but it is an important crossroad small city bracing border trades with Malaysia.

For your information, inside town itself are more than 9,000 hotel rooms not including daily rate apartments. It full every weekends. Cheers! Kicking them to the stones?

I live in Phattalung, and spend a lot of time in Hat Yai. Too be honest, I find both places very dull and wouldn't recommend either for a holiday destination. But, it depends what you are interested in, I suppose. They are very 'authentically Thai'. Thale Noi is a wetland reserve, if you go early in the morning you can see some nice water flowers and birds, and they sell some cute knick knacks, but otherwise it's nothing. Songkhla city is quaint and there are some neat places to visit (museum, etc) I wouldn't recommend swimming at Samila Beach as the current is very strong and it's quite dangerous. Some great fresh seafood restaurants though. Hat Yai's mainly good for shopping. More western tourists than the others, but mostly people in transit. There is a big night market on the weekends, and a lot of good markets in general - just ask the tuk tuk driver where to go because they move around. For nightlife in Hat Yai there are 2 pubs I'd recommend - Post Laser Disc (near Lee Gardens) more western style with a good band singing both thai and english songs, and Baroy, which is definatley a Thai bar. Really good live music and good food.

Unless you know some locals to show you around, you might not find much to do.

• 2 weeks later...

drum,

If youve not been to Hat Yai yet,Orient Thai are doing a flight promotion up till 30th September.

Book on a weekend for flights between Monday to Thursday only and the cost is just 880 baht all in,one way.

So book on the internet on a Saturday or Sunday and the cost will be 880 baht but only applies to flights Monday to Thursday,if that makes sense ?

If you try to book Monday to Friday on the internet the cost is 1450 baht,so quite a saving.

Hat Yai......not a pretty place but good for shopping,eating and naughty ladies !

Songhkla......28 kilometres away......decent beach area but fairly quiet......most of the hotels in Songhkla are fully booked because firms dont want their staff to stay in Hat Yai after the recent bombing.

But I think Hat Yai is still pretty safe to stay........theres not much trouble with the insurgents overall.

I would say,stay in Hat Yai but do a day trip to Songhkla.....easy to do.

• 4 weeks later...

My oz insurance company have told me any insurance is invalid for travel to songhkla province... So I'm giving it a miss... Will cut across to trang before I reach songhkla ...

For us who live in Songkla the idea of 'danger' is laughable.

You are 1000's of times more likely to die in a traffic accident than in the hands of rebels.

...no farang has died so far from the hostilities.

Wrong! A Malaysian and a Canadian died in the 2006 explosions.

You seem to be a funny boy calling that sort of danger 'laughable'.

Although the danger may not be great it is there and in excess of normal crossing the road issues of elsewhere. And this has been true for several decades (I can recall the train station/airport bombings while visiting in the 90's - it has not improved).

The odds of being killed in a terrorist related incident in Hat Yai are indeed laughably small.

Sure it's something I'm concious of when in crowded places during festivals, but you face greater perils daily, as already suggested Thailand's roads are considerably more dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...

Beach, 30 km, called Samila beach. Quite a long stretch of sandy beaches. Although it seems ok I have never seen anybody dipped into the water there and this time of the year the sea can be quite rough. There is the "famous" Tangkuan hill in close proximity where you can meet hoards of monkeys, watch your valuables.

To me it beggers belief why anyone would consider going to Had Yai as a tourist. Personally i feel very uneasy there and while some think it's safe i don't. If there's Westerners who live there by choice , well " there's nowt as funny as folk " as they say