Google Nexus7 Tablet / Review Cnet.Com

Let me amend and update my prior post as follows (I'm no longer able to edit the one above):

Bino, the GSM Arena website says the 3G GSM version is only capable of 900 and 2100 3G...

But there do appear to be various different versions of this tablet in terms of 3G frequencies.

Here in Thailand, for example, the Jaymart Thailand site is showing a 3G Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 that's only 900 and 2100 3G.

http://www.jaymart.co.th/ViewPro.asp?7845

But the True Move H website is showing a different version of the same tablet with 850, 1900 and 2100 3G bands.

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh/product/detail/363/Samsung_Galaxy_Tab_2_7.0

The Samsung global website lists 4 different 3G frequency bands, but isn't specific as to a particular model of the tablet. I tend to doubt they are producing a Tab 2 7 inch that supports all 4 of those 3G bands in one device.

So the real question comes down to what exact version ThaiPhuket has or is planning to use.

The voice calling aspect, assuming he's using a compatible SIM in the U.S., shouldn't be a problem.

The ability to use 3G data services there depends on what 3G bands his own tablet will support. An 850, 1900, 2100 3G bands version would be fine for the U.S. A 900/2100 3G bands version would appear to be problematic for U.S. 3G data use.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my intepretation form the samsung global website and the thai version website that this tablet has the lot. I am interested in the tab 2 10.1 but will wait for someone to write a review here.

there is also a note 10.1 due out in a few months.

Bino, the GSM Arena website says the 3G GSM version is only capable of 900 and 2100 3G...

If you follow the link in my post above - it links to the GSM Arena website, and shows a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 that as sammycic says, "has the lot".

Having said that, is you search GSM Arena for "Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" , two models are found. The one I linked to above (P5100), and a non-3g version (P5110).

I'm not finding the one you say is 900 / 2100 only. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist- there very well could be more variations sold worldwide that aren't covered on GSM Arena.

Bottom line - if someone wants to be "worldproof", they should ensure to buy the P5100 variant.

Just realized - we might be talking about apples and oranges here. Sammy and I are talking about Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 when you / others are talking about Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

I took my cue to post from the link in Sammy's post about 10.1. My bad... since the general discussion here is about 7 inch tablets.

I believe the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is wifi only...

In Thailand this model is quad band 3G, and works well for phone calls.

(As do all Galaxy Tab 2 models which are all quad band)

The only differences between any of the Tab 2s is screen and battery size.

Wifi only are not widely sold in Thailand ..... although you might find a grey import if you look hard.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Yes, I corrected that info above re the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. My prior comments were reflecting the fact that the Tab 2 7 inch is pretty much sold exclusively in the U.S. as a wifi only device. But obviously, that's not the case in many other countries around, including Thailand.

Asked around at Fortune a couple of days ago. Most sellers were clueless, but those who weren't said they didn't think they would be receiving any sad.png

Made a visit this morning at biggest shops of Tukcom Pattaya, with paper documentation on Nexus 7, but at best some people heard about it from the Internet, but they have absolutly no idea if or when they will have it... sad.png

Asked around at Fortune a couple of days ago. Most sellers were clueless, but those who weren't said they didn't think they would be receiving any sad.png

Made a visit this morning at biggest shops of Tukcom Pattaya, with paper documentation on Nexus 7, but at best some people heard about it from the Internet, but they have absolutly no idea if or when they will have it... sad.png

Why would they? The specs are better for the similar priced samsung tab 2 7inch.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Why would they? The specs are better for the similar priced samsung tab 2 7inch.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Samsung tab 2 7" = 12,900bht

Nexus = 7,500bht

Not really a similar price IMHO.

And the Thai price is? (XE.com is putting $249 at 7900b)

The nexus has 3g. 16gb and a SD card slot. Right?

You can pick up the Samsung for 12 thou.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by thaicbr

anonymous friends, attached the specifications from amazon.de

Does Internet via mobile phone connection work in the US?

I don't see GSM anywhere. On the second page under "Daten-whatever", I see UTMS, EDGE, GPRS which would be data connectivity, but no frequencies listed for data or for the totally absent GSM.

As such, the internet capability is there, but we can't determine exactly what is available. Probably - guessing - quad band.

I doubt this tablet will talk - make and receive calls since there is no GSM. Maybe a German who can read this accurately can clarify but I'm quite confident that I'm correct.

Edited by bino

You can buy the 8gb for 159 UkPounds or 199$ US direct from google, On ebay its going for 249$ and you can be sure it wont be 8000bht when it's in Thailand,If you are in Thailand wait till you go back to US or Europe to buy, otherwise you will be stung for import taxes if you have it shipped.. They just love screwing people for extra.

Edited by KKvampire
  • Like 1

Google Stops Taking Orders for 16GB Nexus 7

July 22, 2012 by Lauren Indvik

Demand for Google’s 7-inch Nexus 7 tablet seems to have well exceeded the tech giant’s expectations. Last week, Google posted a message to its online store saying that shipments of the 16GB model were delayed one to two weeks. Now, the store has stopped taking orders altogether. Those who want to purchase the $249 version of the tablet are told to sign up to be notified by e-mail when it is back in stock. The 16GB version is also sold out at GameStop, Kmart, Sam’s Club, Office Depot, Staples, B&H, Best Buy in Canada and, according to The Guardian, Tesco in te UK. The only place to get the device online at this point may be eBay. Google is still accepting orders for the 8GB version however, which costs $199.

The 7-inch tablet, which began shipping earlier this month, is the first to run the latest version of Android, codename Jelly Bean. It has a 1280×800 HD display (216 ppi) and a 12-core CPU. It has received widely positive reviews from the press — our own Peter Pachal called it “the Android media tablet the Kindle Fire was supposed to be.”

Are you in the market for a Nexus 7? How are you planning on getting your hands on one?

http://mashable.com/2012/07/22/google-nexus-7-sells-out/

• 1 month later...

Samsung tab 2 7" = 12,900bht

Nexus = 7,500bht

Not really a similar price IMHO.

Hi,

Where did you see this 7,5000 baht price? Any official announcement on it?

Since yesterday the Nexus 7 is available in Malaysia, next door ;)

http://www.themalays...let-in-malaysia

The official price though for the 16 GB model is RM 999, the equivalent of 10,000 baht...

Pretty silly prices in Thailand. This site, TheBaht.com, shows the 8GB @11,000 and the 16GB @13,000 Baht. B&H Photo at $249.00USD (7470 Baht) for the 16GB model.

I believe the price in the U.S remains $199 for the N7/8 GB and $249 for the N7/16 GB, before any applicable sales tax or shipping. Both models were in stock at Staples in metro-Boston when Iw as there last week. I am returning again in a few weeks, and may bring one back for a family friend - I will give it to them for my cost, ~ 6,600 for the N7/8 GB. (I bring back a lot of items, usually on request, for family, friends, neighbors - women's make-up is popular these days as it is marked up here by nearly 100%.)

I assume people are self-importing them and selling for a price people are willing to pay? This is typically how the 'grey-market' works.

Anyone who wants to share his/ her experience? I an very keen on the GPS / google maps capability, eg. download in North Thailand and using it for cruising around. Anyone done it?

I assume you are aware that this device is WiFI only. I guess you could use a mobile broadband device (Android phone or MiFi) to create a Mobile AP (WiFi hotspot) to provide internet connectivity for the N7, while on the move.

I am not sure if you can cache map areas using Google Maps with this device and it's corresponding Android versions and Maps version? I can cache a certain number of map squares (20 miles x 20 miles) for off-line use.

I am pretty sure Turn-by-Turn Navigation (with spoken directions) is not activated for Thailand. However a device can be modded to enable TbT Nav. - I have done this.

There are other paid and free Android mapping solutions which do all for full of-line mapping, and presumable TbT Nav.

Edited by lomatopo

the feature turn-by-turn navi is of no interest to me, simply because I don't ride my bike in any big city, except CM. What is interesting is the ability of seeing what is behind the next mountain range. Here is the big plus of google maps vs Esri GPS, to see cluster of buildings, terrain, exact elevation plus many other details,

Helpful to get a clearer view of where to rent/ buy/ build a house. That is the benefit of a larger screen than on a mobile.

I know where I am going but I like to be teased to explore deeper.

hmm, I dont really understand. When I use my HTC desire I can see all these things when cruising the chaing Mai area, without internet connection , only based on GPS. So that means that my mobile saves certain data in cache, why not a tablet?

Sorry, what are all the things you see?

Which application(s) are you using? (GPS is not an application per se.)

Do you have a SIM? Are you sure you do not have an internet connection?

If you are using Google Maps, and you have not pre-cached any map areas it would be impossible to view any detail unless you in fact did have a data connection.

Maybe you are using another mapping solution? One that allows for off-line use (by being able to download an entire country/regional map to the device)? Any mapping application which allows for off-line use which might work on your current device, may also work on an N7 or another android tablet.

• 1 month later...

Note the newly announced increase in memory/pricing and GSM/3G model:

Google is also revving up its tablet lineup. The Nexus 7 is now available with more storage. The 16GB version starts at $199 (previously, this version was $249) and a new 32GB model is available for $249. Google is also releasing an HSPA+ Nexus 7 with 32GB of data for $299. It works on AT&T in the U.S. and more than 200 GSM providers worldwide. The Nexus 7 will be available on Nov. 13 online and at retailers such as Gamestop, Walmart, Office Depot, Office Max and Staples.

http://mashable.com/2012/10/29/google-nexus-4-nexus-10/

Edited by lomatopo

• 2 weeks later...

Note the newly announced increase in memory/pricing and GSM/3G model:

Google is also revving up its tablet lineup. The Nexus 7 is now available with more storage. The 16GB version starts at $199 (previously, this version was $249) and a new 32GB model is available for $249. Google is also releasing an HSPA+ Nexus 7 with 32GB of data for $299. It works on AT&T in the U.S. and more than 200 GSM providers worldwide. The Nexus 7 will be available on Nov. 13 online and at retailers such as Gamestop, Walmart, Office Depot, Office Max and Staples.

http://mashable.com/...xus-4-nexus-10/

I saw an ad stating that the 3G / 32Gb version will remain under 10K Baht in Thailand. ("X,XXX", so likely 9,999, but still)

I wish that thing had the ability to make calls (via Bluetooth if need be) and a proper camera on the back; it certainly has the horsepower to record excellent video. It's small enough to fit in a jeans pocket (ok, just, but it does fit.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I wish that thing had the ability to make calls (via Bluetooth if need be) and a proper camera on the back; it certainly has the horsepower to record excellent video. It's small enough to fit in a jeans pocket (ok, just, but it does fit.)

The general pre-release consensus is that the 3G N7 will not support traditional GSM calling/texting out of the box.Whether it has the hardware capable to support this functionality remains to be discovered, and if so, can a MOD can be fashioned?

We may not know until developers get their hands on some units? Not sure but maybe T-Mo/USA will have product tomorrow (13 Nov)?

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1958686

Edited by lomatopo