Best Internet Provider On Samui

OK I know everyone is pretty bored with this....coffee1.gif but I know a few people waiting on a verdict.... wink.png

Really for those out of reach of Land lines.... obviously results are going to vary from place to place.....

But here is the out come of using Tropicalevo''s dongle... It's about the same as the old CAT dongle for me, perhaps a blink of an eye slower, The other member further into the jungle than me is actually getting a better signal than with his CAT modem.... I let him post his verdict if he wants...

I decided to get the True Mifi version, 21Mbps... even though that strength will not be available for, they say for a year.... ( I won't hold my breathe!...biggrin.png )

In the True brochure they list a 42 Mbps model, but apparently only good in BKK...

Apparently the CAT service won't drop dead at the end of the month.... but who knows it could drop without warning whistling.gif

As of Sunday the True shop in Tesco Chawang had all the three dongles..... Big C True, only the slowest cheapest model... 1390 baht service... 7.6 Mbps, if I remember (don't hold me on that, but that is the current speed for all of them at the moment) Power surf 111, 21Mbps is 2390 baht and the Mifi 21 Mbps is 2990 baht... plus four months connection.

As mentioned in another post, about True, the service guys and girls are better at Tesco Chawang .....True stall.... thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that the true shop by the cinema or the other one?how much to pay a month and how much do you get to download?the true shop in big c wanted 4100b for the mifi!thanks.

I recommend the True shop outside of the Bangkok Bank - near the Tesco checkouts. thumbsup.gif

The corrupt staff rotate their duties between Big C and the shop next to the Cinema. sad.png

Is that the true shop by the cinema or the other one?how much to pay a month and how much do you get to download?the true shop in big c wanted 4100b for the mifi!thanks.

Sounds like we should all keep away from the Big C True shop....with their varying prices ..... (unless they included tax, I ain't going to look for my calculator to figure that out!!!! ....... tongue.png biggrin.png )

I think they are bored in there anyway, the girl in there yanked her ear phones out when I interrupted her reading something. whistling.gif

All the prices are on a fold out brochure available at the desk.... at least at the Tesco Branch .... located across from the cashiers, at Tesco... I don't think they have a desk near the cinema / food court area anymore. (?)

899.00 baht a month for unlimited... plus tax, which makes it more expensive than CAT at 845 baht including tax... sad.pngbut there are other packages available....

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had given my last word on this.... and don't want to start another new thread!

After getting a CAT bill yesterday, I thought I had better go close the CAT account.... which I did this morning....

Knowing there are a few people using the CAT dongles, they are now saying end of October before the cut service....blink.png

Anyway, I have made the switch to True, which is not as good even with 3 g, as the old CAT dongle...(where I am anyway and costing more!!!) .

So, you need to close your account with CAT or bills will keep coming...If you have switch to another provider, already !!!

I refused to pay, since they did not tell me that, last month when I inquired... I assumed they would be done at end of this month as they had stated....

You need to have passport or local drivers license to close things out!

The End.... or is it???wink.pngbiggrin.png

Jimmy, I went to close my CAT CDMA account a couple of weeks ago, without any problems or need for ID. I just asked them to close it, and they did so straight away.

I have since been using the True Move 3g USB stick/dongle. I bought it from the small stand in Tesco Lotus situated by the checkouts. It cost 990 Baht for the dongle, and is then 899/month for the service. I did however get offered 4 months at half price. So far I am very happy with the service it gives me, but I've yet to use it during the power cuts.

• 5 months later...

Am I the only one who is having big problems with TOT fiber2u? Speed in Thailand very very good, but as soon as I test against a European server DL 0.08....

When I call them I get the same annoying answer all the time, have have problem in Bangkok.....

I'm near Soi Reggae, any suggestions what provider is able to provide a reliable, fast(ish) service here?

Am I the only one who is having big problems with TOT fiber2u? Speed in Thailand very very good, but as soon as I test against a European server DL 0.08....

When I call them I get the same annoying answer all the time, have have problem in Bangkok.....

I'm near Soi Reggae, any suggestions what provider is able to provide a reliable, fast(ish) service here?

This one has been done to death on this forum vlietje - but the general concensus (and in my personal experience) go 3BB.

I have both 3BB and TOT through a telephone line and 3BB is faster and much more reliable.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

is there any more current info on accessing the internet with an iPad with wireless only (no 3G, can not use dongles) on Samui? There must be something new since the over 2 years old archived thread I saw about Pocket Wifi Huewei E585 - Works With Dtac Edge? Started by CrossBones, 2011-01-24 02:23. Thanks.

is there any more current info on accessing the internet with an iPad with wireless only (no 3G, can not use dongles) on Samui? There must be something new since the over 2 years old archived thread I saw about Pocket Wifi Huewei E585 - Works With Dtac Edge? Started by CrossBones, 2011-01-24 02:23. Thanks.

Where are you located?

Can you get 3BB wifi or true wifi on your device?

Where are you located? If you're up on a hillside somewhere and can't get a physical line, drop me a PM. I might be able to help you.