Hua Hin - Penang

TomTom55

Greetings ThaiVisa. I will be heading out to Penang at the start of the next month and am planning on using the train directly from Hua Hin to Butterworth. I have been to Penang once before but I got the train to Surat Thani and then by road from there. I have a couple of questions.

Firstly how does the entry into Malaysia work with this train journey as you pass the border somewhere and I cannot figure out how and where they would check everyone through.

I have googled this trip and found a few posts about it, but it seems slightly dated. Does anybody know if there is a 1st class on the sleeper train departing Hua Hin at 16.30 or is it only a 2nd class air still? What are the prices?

Lastly I would like to know about the vadility of this statement. I read that not far from the consulate there is an agency where you can book flights back for around 2,500baht per person?

Thanks and would appreciate any help and feedback :)

Have not made the trip for more than a decade but train stops at border Padang Besar where you get out and go through both countries immigration on platform and re-board to continue. 1st class carriage was never used beyond Hat Yai when I travelled.

Have not made the trip for more than a decade but train stops at border Padang Besar where you get out and go through both countries immigration on platform and re-board to continue. 1st class carriage was never used beyond Hat Yai when I travelled.

Thanks for the info. I am wondering how someone can arrange a flight from Penang to Bangkok for 2,500baht per person. I read it in one of the travel blogs, but as I said it seemed to be a bit dated.

Book a bottom bunk cost approx 1,100 Baht, leaves about 7pm. Border crossing is smooth, they wake you about 6am...Once through the beds are up and seats only. Its a slow journey to Penang with stops everywhere, arriving 2pm. Make sure you have a few Ringetts for the ferry as there isnt a bureau de change. Once on the island get a taxi to wherever you are stayng. Best flight will be with Air Asia, depends how far in advance you book and what the price is....You can get the train back and its possible to book a return in Hua Hin

Book a bottom bunk cost approx 1,100 Baht, leaves about 7pm. Border crossing is smooth, they wake you about 6am...Once through the beds are up and seats only. Its a slow journey to Penang with stops everywhere, arriving 2pm. Make sure you have a few Ringetts for the ferry as there isnt a bureau de change. Once on the island get a taxi to wherever you are stayng. Best flight will be with Air Asia, depends how far in advance you book and what the price is....You can get the train back and its possible to book a return in Hua Hin

Hey thanks for the reply, so no sleeping after you are in Malaysia eh. I did check and you are correct the best prices are with Air Asia. I am going to change up enough Ringett before hand, I have been there before so I am not totally cluess to everything. I plan to stay in the Hang Chow hotel/cafe as it is value for money and close to the consulate. I am ust trying to figure out what to do with all that time on the train apart from sleeping!