Country Of Origin, How Important ?

soi41

I am proud to be British. Being British. To list a few things about Being British it gave me a good education, taught me fairness and manners and about different cultures and societies around the world. When I was down it helped me back on my feet. It gave me freedom of movement and many different opportunities in life too. So I use my home country's ideals and values as a reference to whatever other country I am in.

Britain is not perfect but what country is?

And according to another post you made, that includes thinking it's OK to bar fine an 18 year old girl to take home for sex. Great set of values you have there!

Edited by TommoPhysicist

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am proud to be British. Being British. To list a few things about Being British it gave me a good education, taught me fairness and manners and about different cultures and societies around the world. When I was down it helped me back on my feet. It gave me freedom of movement and many different opportunities in life too. So I use my home country's ideals and values as a reference to whatever other country I am in.

And according to another post you made, that includes thinking it's OK to bar fine an 18 year old girl to take home for sex. Great set of values you have there!

I don't think that's a uniquely British thing. I believe continentals, and other Johnny Foreigners, also do more or less the same. Anyway, we're none of us perfect...

Some of us fail to live up to the ideals that we set ourselves, either through our own weakness, or lack of opportunity. I have never freed the world from tyranny, and I imagine I would quail at such a task, but I hope that I will do my bit when required to do so. When I have atoned for all my sins of omission and commission, then I'll get stuck into properly stoning those whose morals may have lapsed

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Of course we all bring parts of our former lives with us. I lived in Canada for over 60 years and kind of got stuck in those lessons learned. I have traveled a lot and have learned a lot about different cultures and have accepted the fact that sometimes we just do not connect. I see no harm in talking proudly about your country of origin and its ways but, I do see harm in arbitrarily dissing the country you are living in or visiting just to be a braggart. I've been in Thailand for a hair under a year now and still find some Thai ways of doing things irking but, having said that, it's not up to them to change for me, it's up to me to learn to adapt and find a way to accomplish my task. I will admit to having fun with the locals when telling them stories of the frozen north though and watching them cringe at the thought that the inside of a freezer is a lot warmer than a January day outside in Winnipeg or North Bay.

And so what if I decided one time to barfine a woman. Freedom of choice. And as we all know, you are so perfect.

• Like 1

So my question is, how important is your country of origin for you being you? And how does that form your POV on living in Thailand?

The only point of view my country of origin forms is if I see a dam_n Frenchie I set the hounds on him.biggrin.png

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

Ever notice that the people from countries who have the best standard of living in the world never brag about it?

You don't ever (or very rarely) hear any Swedes, Norwegians, Finnish, etc..., or anyone else bragging about how amazing their country is.

So who in your opinion brags about their country. ?

My country of birth is Iran, so nothing to brag about there! Although a Brit I've spent most of my life in the Middle East (not Iran), so there again that makes me a sorry loser in the bragging stakes. In fact although I have had a good life and still do, If only I could find a train to throw myself under, I might just do that. Crazy response but I'm smiling to myself already.

It is the personal decision of two consenting adults. wub.png

And she was scrumptious, w00t.giflicklips.gif

It is the personal decision of two consenting adults. wub.png

And she was scrumptious, w00t.giflicklips.gif

Blimey, Scrumptious, ..................Billy Bunter is alive. w00t.gif
  • Like 1

I think JT should do a poll.

I could start it off, I'm from England, and I think it's a shit-hole.

Now anyone want to tell us their country is great or garbage?

If I could choose my country of birth, France or Germany or Switzerland.

Why. ?

France for having similar divorce laws as Thailand (you keep what was yours)

Germany for being the rulers of Europe (and snappy Nazi uniforms)

Switzerland for the money, chocolate and skiing (and gun ownership)

When asked by westerners or Thai's "Where u Come FrOm???!

I say " I come from Earth, I am a citizen of the world, I'm a human".

Most Thai's and Westerners look at me like I'm crazy when I give them that reply and

usually make an assumption based on my image or accent as to narrow me down.

Its strange most Thai's can't except a worldly answer such as this considering that

the Dalai Llama replied in a similar fashion in an interview on CNN's "Buddhists Warriors".

I think JT should do a poll.

I could start it off, I'm from England, and I think it's a shit-hole.

Now anyone want to tell us their country is great or garbage?

If I could choose my country of birth, France or Germany or Switzerland.

Why. ?

France for having similar divorce laws as Thailand (you keep what was yours)

Germany for being the rulers of Europe (and snappy Nazi uniforms)

Switzerland for the money, chocolate and skiing (and gun ownership)

Most Thai's and Westerners look at me like I'm crazy when I give them that reply and

Its strange most Thai's can't except a worldly answer such as this considering that

the Dalai Llama replied in a similar fashion in an interview on CNN's "Buddhists Warriors".

Most Thais don't know, who Dalai Llama issad.png

I'm quite happy to have originated from England. I had a good education that would have been more effective if cricket, rugby, sailing and swimming (and girls) had not diverted my attentions. Perhaps the best part of that was the encouragement to read - a habit which remains to be enjoyed to this day. Every book has something to teach. If you can read and understand what you're reading, you can do pretty much anything you set your mind to.

Military service with the RAF was worthwhile, offering an apprenticeship which combined many lessons which also remain with me. I learned to take care of myself and also the value of logical thinking and problem solving, which I believe to be qualities much lacking in this country. Though I was a technical tradesman apprentice, I also learned to fly gliders and powered aircraft, though I had to come to SEA before being able to afford to do the latter. I have to say that the Air Force was not quite the one I'd intended to join, but without doubt the lessons were well worthwhile.

In SEA (where I've lived since 1972) I've had few days when the basics I derived from a British education and upbringing have not been of practical value.

Would I be interested in going back there to live? I don't think so. Here is where the education I received in England really pays dividends. Here, I'm practically a genius!

• Like 2

Many educated Thai's DO know who Dali Llama is, but they don't really understand what he has taught them. As many Thai teachers are amazed when I tell them Africa is more than one country and that Ecuador is in America!

To be fair, I doubt he knows them from Adam either.

I'll not bore you with the whole joke, I'm sure you all know it well, but the punch line is

"... and the fella in St Peter's Square next to him says 'Who's the chap in white shaking hands with Wee Jimmy?'"

SC

I was talking to this guy and his girlfiend and I asked , "where do you guys come from ? " and the bloke got annoyed by the question and replied " nowhere man" . True story.

Ever notice that the people from countries who have the best standard of living in the world never brag about it?

You don't ever (or very rarely) hear any Swedes, Norwegians, Finnish, etc..., or anyone else bragging about how amazing their country is.

As In AMAZINGLY EXPENSIVE?

Many educated Thai's DO know who Dali Llama is, but they don't really understand what he has taught them. As many Thai teachers are amazed when I tell them Africa is more than one country and that Ecuador is in America!

Is Sarah Palin working as a teacher in Thailand ??ermm.gif

As In AMAZINGLY EXPENSIVE?

Expensive for who? Despite the high pricelevel in those countries their citizens (most of them) are able to afford their yearly holiday. As a percentage of the population, they are by far the most frequent visitors to Thailand. And the holiday is paid with money left after a taxation of 30-70% to pay for the free healthcare, the free education and a welfaresystem to catch the unlucky ones, that in most other countries would end up with their belongings in a shoppingcart.sad.png

So maybe expensive for visitors, but IMO they are doing a dam_n good job.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Most Thai's and Westerners look at me like I'm crazy when I give them that reply

Or on ketamine...

Most Thai's and Westerners look at me like I'm crazy when I give them that reply

Or on ketamine...

Cool, Dalai Llama was also frowned upon when he replied to a Brittish Reporter about his nationality " I am a normal human being, a citizen of the world".

Sorry I'm not a nationalist and some narrowminds cant accept that...

Or on ketamine...

Cool, Dalai Llama was also frowned upon when he replied to a Brittish Reporter about his nationality " I am a normal human being, a citizen of the world".

I'm guessing the Dalai Llama refused to be drawn on mischievious questions of his nationality for reasons of entirely temproal and mundane common sense, given the sensibilities and sensitivities of the occupying Chinese tyrants in his country. I am surprised that you feel yourself to be in a similar situation

SC

Or on ketamine...

Why do you feel the need to be so Planetist?

Do you consider yourself superior to beings from other worlds?

Don't you think that is slightly narrow minded?

• Like 1

Or on ketamine...

Why do you feel the need to be so Planetist?

Do you consider yourself superior to beings from other worlds?

Don't you think that is slightly narrow minded?

He seems to think he's superior to ants and nationalists an alcoholics

SC

OP has his title wrong.

Even a Scot knows its the State of Origin that means everything.

State of origin is NSW versus Queensland. Every one in Australia knows that

Edit

Sorry for being a little off topic

Edited by ripstanley

OP has his title wrong.

I'm surprised that you feel the need to explain that. Did you think that there were some on this forum that did not follow league?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

OP has his title wrong.

Edit

If there was as I suspect a typo in the thread title, maybe you are on topic more than most

OP has his title wrong.

Edit

If there was as I suspect a typo in the thread title, maybe you are on topic more than most

I agree change country to state. We will have to move to different forum.