Riverside Condos

nicksal37

A friend of mine is thinking of moving to the Riverside condo block and has a car.Last year we had quite big floods here in Chiang Mai.My question is, does the Riverside condo car park flood? I have heard contradicting reports.

I don't think it matters all that much; even if it doesn't flood then it will still be very challenging to get anywhere if there is flooding. And note that this is the same for about half of the town anyway; it doesn't matter all that much if it's right on the river or further afield; Flora Condominium is exactly the same deal; building itself probably isn't affected, but try getting there and away. Same for the very fancy new Shine condominium on Chang Klan.

The good news of course is that major flooding that originates form the river doesn't happen all that often; once every 5 years perhaps, and hopefully it can be managed better and better into the future.

Thank you WTK but if I had a car in Riverside I don't want it flooded.I used to live in Galae Tong condo and they had one metre of water in the lobby! My car would be underwater. Does the car park in Riverside car park flood?

Thank you WTK but if I had a car in Riverside I don't want it flooded.I used to live in Galae Tong condo and they had one metre of water in the lobby! My car would be underwater. Does the car park in Riverside car park flood?

Good question if it is below the building probably does. If on the same level hard to say. There is a major hospital only 100 meters away at probably the same level as the riverside condos.

Sure, but you see it coming; water levels are reported continuously, along with a prediction. It's known at what level it floods. So if there is a year again where it looks close then you'd park somewhere else for a couple days.

I don't know if the parking actually floods or not; will defer to someone with first-hand experience in that particular building.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sorry, one more post with potentially helpful stuff, but without giving the actual answer you're looking for: Typically the thing to do when looking at buying property (condominiums or otherwise) is to go talk with as many neighbours/residents as possible. They would know. And also they would know any other environmental or management factors that could be an issue; for example maintenance; how quickly are repairs performed. Do the elevators get regular maintenance. Is the pool always clean and well-kept. What is the water pressure and quality like. Electricity; are there more outages than is par for the course for Chiang Mai. How helpful and capable are the security guards. That's the sort of chat to go have in the building/neighborhood where you are looking to buy (or rent, even)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I have friends living there for 10+ years and Riverside Condo has never flooded. My car was there during said period.

It was build at the same time and by the same owner(s) as the Holiday Inn Hotel (Riverside Plaza Hotel at the beginning, later Westin and Sheraton) next to it. Both Holiday Inn and Riverside Condo are about 10 feet above street level (Chiang Mai - Lamphun Rd). Riverside Plaza Hotel was the hotel and Riverside Condo were the condo's of the same Riverside complex. My friend used to work at the Westin. He knows the story.

When the Ping River flooded in 2002, 2006 and 2011 the water found its way to the (lower) Chiang Mai - Lamphun Rd streaming n between the Holiday Inn hotel and Rajavej Hospital. Yes, the street and lower surroundings, even the Gymkhana Golf, were flooded 3-4 feet back in 2006. Less last year.

The Holiday Inn and Riverside Condo parking's were never affected.

They have it on their website:

www.chiangmairiversidecondo.com/homepage/where-is-riverside-condo/

Good luck and keep your car dry this monsoon.

Nick,

I lived at Riverside for a couple of years and loved it.

I moved to a dorm just around the corner and was unlucky to be there during the floods several years ago. Riverside Condo car park did not have a problem but the, at that time, Sheraton Hotel had some sort of conference including the then deputy prime minister and they used pumps to clear the water from their car park - which of couse came down the soi where my dorm was and we were all flooded.

Riverside - no problem.

Gladiator

That's good to know from someone who actually lived there as there's a rumor that all cars that were parked below the condo were all under water.

Nick,

I moved to a dorm just around the corner and was unlucky to be there during the floods several years ago. Riverside Condo car park did not have a problem but the, at that time, Sheraton Hotel had some sort of conference including the then deputy prime minister and they used pumps to clear the water from their car park - which of couse came down the soi where my dorm was and we were all flooded.

Riverside - no problem.

Gladiator

Edited by ARISTIDE

That's good to know from someone who actually lived there as there's a rumor that all cars that were parked below the condo were all under water.

Nick,

Riverside - no problem.

Gladiator

Hi Nick,

Its been a few years since I have moved. Not through choice but circumstance. My old Mum could no longer look after the family dog and Riverside does not allow 'pets'. The only other down sides that I found was a restriction on using gas canisters to cook with. No problem I had a convector microwave, an electric wok an electic heatter plate and toaster oven. The room was L shaped with a small kitchen facility with sink and storage cupoboards Also if the hotel next door had a party or function on their garden the noise carried. But not that often.

I had a corner 'studio' which was great. I could sit on the balcony with views of the Ping river and mountains and watch the sun go down. I paid one of Riverside employees to clean for me once a week. I think that I gave her 500 Baht a month.

With regard to rubbish - just had to leave the black plastic bag by the lifts. I was on the 11th floor.

The swimming pool was open from 1000 until late and also over looked the river..

There was a laundry situated next to the lobby/reception and an 'L' shaped car park which went around the condo.

Security was good and in addition to reception there was a lady guard overnight by the door to the lifts,

Location great! Tesco Lotus Express very close as is the 7-11 and market. Lots of songtieows and tuk-tuks.

Nang Nual - a wonderful seafood restaurant used to be just around the corner overlooking the river. Sadly they have now moved to a new location.

If you need amu further info - just PM me

Best,

Frank

Frank

Nick,

Riverside - no problem.

Gladiator

That was indeed the case but at Galae Tong condo (before called the mengrai tower).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/487299-flood-warnings-2011/page__st__600

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/w024/social.shtml

Galae Thong Condo on Chang Khlan Road is about 1 mile West of Riverside Condo and on much lower land.

Riverside Condominium was never flooded and never had cars in the water.

• Like 1

OMG! Over the years I've already told so many of my guests from BKK that this 'Riverside condo' is was flooded! Thanks so much for the info. But anyway the mother in law once was also interested in getting a unit there good thing I told her that. ha ha

Nick,

Riverside - no problem.

Gladiator

That was indeed the case but at Galae Tong condo (before called the mengrai tower).

http://www.chiangmai...24/social.shtml

Galae Thong Condo on Chang Khlan Road is about 1 mile West of Riverside Condo and on much lower land.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Nick,

Riverside - no problem.

Gladiator

http://www.chiangmai...24/social.shtml

Pingandsingh.

Thank you to remind me. It was 2005 when the big flood occured. Riverside never had a problem but for sure the old Chiang Mai - Lamphun road was flooded.. Since then I have moved for reasons listed and they have dredged the river.

One other thing that I liked about Riverside was that they knew how to make festivals 'shine' Every year at Loy Kratong they built a little jetty which had jolly flowers and garlands on and we could launch our Kathongs.

Ah memories.

Gladiator