Export Business

I just wanted a bit of feed back, I am foreigner and have been designing and making furniture solely for the purpose of exporting back to the US.

I keep getting conflicting information in regards to a foreign owned export company. I have been told that as a foreigner starting an exporting business in thailand I can have 100% ownership is this true? Next, do I need to get a work permit? Also how much estimated capital do I need for export start up?

Also do the rules change whether the product is made here in Thailand by myself vs. having a Thai native etc...

Hopefully you get the jist of where I am going here...

Sorry I should have explained better, I have not exported yet, but have been making for the purpose of exporting, initially I was going to have a manufacturing company in the US make the designs for me so I would not have to worry about exporting, however I wanted to actually make the pieces myself...long story in regards to sustainability and the manufacturing process....

Sorry wish I could help with your rubber, but am at a loss as much as you right now...haha

Sorry I should have explained better, I have not exported yet, but have been making for the purpose of exporting, initially I was going to have a manufacturing company in the US make the designs for me so I would not have to worry about exporting, however I wanted to actually make the pieces myself...long story in regards to sustainability and the manufacturing process....

Sorry wish I could help with your rubber, but am at a loss as much as you right now...haha

Sure there are much wiser advisors here than I that can help on exporting, so I will be watching the thread.

Just on another subject, I posted [ page 2 I think] that I have land zoned for industry out here in the back blocks of Issan. We use only a small area and anyone with an idea, could set up here, no rent, key money or anything. If the venture worked I would take a cut. If it bounced along the ground for a few years OK. If it failed I would have a few new or old buildings. Just a thought if you get further down the track to starting up. Good luck Jim. PS the place is on you tube collister rubber company Issan

Sure there are much wiser advisors here than I that can help on exporting, so I will be watching the thread.

Just on another subject, I posted [ page 2 I think] that I have land zoned for industry out here in the back blocks of Issan. We use only a small area and anyone with an idea, could set up here, no rent, key money or anything. If the venture worked I would take a cut. If it bounced along the ground for a few years OK. If it failed I would have a few new or old buildings. Just a thought if you get further down the track to starting up. Good luck Jim. PS the place is on you tube collister rubber company Issan

I just watched two videos from you, James. It's an interesting process that is very labor-intensive. I can imagine the satisfaction when a

successful "crop" is harvested and you feel as if something productive is accomplished. You mentioned in the "family factory tour" that you can make it more efficient. Several years have passed since the videos. Have you met your goals? Sorry to be thread-jacking but you can send me a message if necessary.

-Shawn

I just watched two videos from you, James. It's an interesting process that is very labor-intensive. I can imagine the satisfaction when a

successful "crop" is harvested and you feel as if something productive is accomplished. You mentioned in the "family factory tour" that you can make it more efficient. Several years have passed since the videos. Have you met your goals? Sorry to be thread-jacking but you can send me a message if necessary.

-Shawn

Yes and no, got truly screwed in 2008. Had a shed full of rubber that went from $5 US to just over a $1 US. That's life. but we are producing our own rubber now and making a living. Rubber markets are still up and down and hard to judge what tomorrows prices will be. So with little money to waste we play it safe. Had offers from buyers wanting large amounts of rubber, but I have not got the cash to speculate on 2 or 300,000 US. Lucky if I have enough to take the kids for Xmas in OZ. We are slowly trying to build up, but with the EU throwing the world into panic every few days, it's hard to know how much to risk.

Probably a lesson for all, take a chance and win, or lose. luckily for us our own rubber makes a good living in Thailand. Jim

Edited by jamescollister

Any form of work paid or unpaid in Thailand requires a work permit and appropriate visa.If you dont have one then you have already been operating illegally.Going by other threads, you also need to be aware of the type of wood used and the chemical treatment it may require "fumigation" by certain countries or it could end up being impounded and burned.

This may help: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/897/~/importing-wood-products-into-the-united-states

here is an extract:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) regulates the importation of wood and wood products. APHIS requires wood and wood products to undergo certain phytosanitary procedures prior to importation in order to eliminate the risk of introducing non-native pests and diseases into the United States.

There are two treatment options for wood and wood products. Heat treatment involves the use of a kiln dryer or dry heat, such as a microwave energy dryer. Chemical treatment involves the use of a surface pesticide, preservative, or methyl bromide fumigation.

Wood products from China that contain bark are subject to additional APHIS restrictions.

A Timber and Timber Products Import Permit (PPQ form 585) must accompany each wood shipment. The permit will list the required treatment.

Edited by CharlieH

My visa status is legal, everything I am doing here is legal. I just wanted to be clear and definite in regards to the work permit situation with relation to exportation...have read and was told that with exporting the need for a work permit was out, however that did not set right with me considering the stipulations on a b-visa...

Just needed clarity and considering nothing is ever clear here...

Also thank you for the information on the woods, I will do a bit more research in that area.

At this point I think it might be better to speak with a lawyer rather than ask here...so if anyone has any suggestions for lawyers that work in exportation that would be great and are in central bangkok preferably?

First of all you need a company with min. 51% Thai ownership (in some case 64%). If you are not married Thai, you will need 2mill bath in the bank. Some of these money can be used to build up your company. If married, 1mill bath. When you have a company you can work, but no salary. Then you need a wp. If gouverment aprove your funiture for export its just go ahead

Edited by expat63

First of all you need a company with min. 51% Thai ownership (in some case 64%). If you are not married Thai, you will need 2mill bath in the bank. Some of these money can be used to build up your company. If married, 1mill bath. When you have a company you can work, but no salary. Then you need a wp. If gouverment aprove your funiture for export its just go ahead

If you are a US citizen, there is an "AMITY" agreement between Thailand and the US that grants a number of privileges to US citizens operating businesses in Thailand that other nationalities do not get. I do not know the details but I believe they are posted on the US Embassy website.

Edited by dddave

If you are a US citizen, there is an "AMITY" agreement between Thailand and the US that grants a number of privileges to US citizens operating businesses in Thailand that other nationalities do not get. I do not know the details but I believe they are posted on the US Embassy website.

Sorry I didn't know that. I just had to look it up and its seems like its only business within:

1.Communications

2.Transportation

3.Fiduciary functions

4.Banking involving depository functions

5.Exploitation of land and natural resources

6.Owning land; and

7.Domestic trade in agricultural products.

I do not need a establish a Thai business if I am doing exportation only I can own a 100% of the business...I simply want to deal in an exportation business only. However, I am familiar with the Treaty of Amity which is available to US citizens and will give me a 100% ownership as well as the 51%/49% business requirement if setting up a business to do trade and work in thailand. Though those would only make sense for me if my plan was to tap the thai market. However exportation has different laws all together.

I appreciate everyones help, but I think at this point I am just going to deal with a lawyer and go from there, thank you all so much.

I do not need a establish a Thai business if I am doing exportation only I can own a 100% of the business...I simply want to deal in an exportation business only. However, I am familiar with the Treaty of Amity which is available to US citizens and will give me a 100% ownership as well as the 51%/49% business requirement if setting up a business to do trade and work in thailand. Though those would only make sense for me if my plan was to tap the thai market. However exportation has different laws all together.

I appreciate everyones help, but I think at this point I am just going to deal with a lawyer and go from there, thank you all so much.

Sorry I noticed what I said might be kind of confusing, but if I establish an exportation business here in Thailand then I can actually own a 100% of my business or if I wanted to I could own like 98% and then give 1% to a thai and another 1% example to thai but with exportation as long as you are not doign business in thailand trades etc and only doign exportation then you can infact own 100% of the business as a foreigner...so since I am dealing with exportation only the need for the 51/49 is unecessary as well as the Treaty of Amity.