Jomtien Immigration

bobobo

There could be a tea-money element involved in the delayed return of the passport, depending on which supervisor is running the show at the moment.

My suspicion is -- if you said something like "I can't possibly come back tomorrow - I'll be in Bangkok for a week - can I pay an extra fee to get my passport now?" -- That might produce a minor miracle . . . TiT

Personally, I'd be happy to pay an additional B100 to expedite, because it's very difficult for me to get to Jomtien Imm.

That wouldn't be surprising. But that is very different than asserting there is a special list of favored expats and unfavored ones. I also wouldn't be surprised if a small number of celebrity types get favored treatment. But if the signing guy isn't there, he isn't there. But just based on having lots of retirement extensions and a stable address, etc., no.

One time I was asked to come back the next day to collect my passport. I said the traveling time backwards & forwards is a hassle, can you help me? (with a smile). First time I had dealt with her, much to my surprise she said OK come back in one hour - no tea money involved

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was made quite clear yesterday that in this office the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing.

Applying for an extension based on income, I forgot to get a copy of my bank book. I had intended to bring a photocopy of the account/name page and the current balance.

My number was about to be called up when I realised this. I went to the head supervisor (the polite officious looking guy at the front desk - don't know his name) and asked him if I needed it. He went a step further and told me I needed a bank letter for my application. I had made it clear to him I was seeking an extension based on income alone.

Anyway, my number was called up so I decided to ask the officer at desk 6 if it was required. He told me I didn't need either a copy of my bank book or a bank letter.

Go figure.... It is a bit ridiculous when you can't get the correct information from the head supervisor.

If they're reading this, then great because there is really no other word to describe this.

Edited by tropo

It was made quite clear yesterday that in this office the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing.

Applying for an extension based on income, I forgot to get a copy of my bank book. I had intended to bring a photocopy of the account/name page and the current balance.

My number was about to be called up when I realised this. I went to the head supervisor (the polite officious looking guy at the front desk - don't know his name) and asked him if I needed it. He went a step further and told me I needed a bank letter for my application. I had made it clear to him I was seeking an extension based on income alone.

Anyway, my number was called up so I decided to ask the officer at desk 6 if it was required. He told me I didn't need either a copy of my bank book or a bank letter.

Go figure.... It is a bit ridiculous when you can't get the correct information from the head supervisor.

If they're reading this, then great because there is really no other word to describe this.

so wait.. they processed your application for extension based on income without any proof of income?

I don't think any of the guys in the front is a supervisor. As far as I can see the higher the rank, the further back they sit.

But I agree, they all ought to know the rules.

I don't think any of the guys in the front is a supervisor. As far as I can see the higher the rank, the further back they sit.

But I agree, they all ought to know the rules.

I believe the guy who sits in the front is the head of the Chonburi office. Number one. He just sits there an acts officious. I'll have to look at the ranking chart they have on their wall next time I visit but I've seen him lead the squad outside when they are getting prepared to start their shift in the morning.

True story - a few years back he asked my wife to leave because she wasn't suitably dressed - at the same time there were scantily clad Russians in there and guys with tanktops and thongs.

Edited by tropo

so wait.. they processed your application for extension based on income without any proof of income?

No. I had to show the letter from my embassy.

ok.. that is how I always get my marriage extension based on income. I have never been asked for any banking details. Just the embassy letter is enough for the income part.

This is the head boss, Chaiyot Varakjunkiat, who generally stays in his private office - I've never seen him out mixing with the riff-raff.

post-53404-0-24865400-1342709733_thumb.j

Who's the riff-raff you're referring to? The customers or the other staff?

ok.. that is how I always get my marriage extension based on income. I have never been asked for any banking details. Just the embassy letter is enough for the income part.

I think only the US embassy offer this service. I asked the Danish embassy once, they refused. I have to have minimum 400,000 baht in the bank for 3 months, provide letters from the bank and copies of the bank book. :(

I think only the US embassy offer this service. I asked the Danish embassy once, they refused. I have to have minimum 400,000 baht in the bank for 3 months, provide letters from the bank and copies of the bank book. sad.png

I heard maybe the Aussie embassy does the same... can anyone confirm?

Jomthien has always been legit to me. As have all government offices here, including Land Transportation Office, Amphoe, Land Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and so on. I must be the only farang in Thailand who's never been screwed by the officials. Then again I always triple check the paperwork and current rules before entering any house of bureaucratic torture.

I still do hate visiting the immigration, though, bad parking and way too crowded. They should've stayed behind the Sailor Bar.

EDIT: the female colonel who makes the final stamps on 1y extensions does please the eye. If you're sitting there bored out of your wits, take a peek :D

Edited by DrTuner

You're lucky. I went there in March with only the embassy letter. I had a copy of my bank book, but it wasn't enough. Luckily, I bank with Bangkok Bank, who has a branch around the corner. Had to run out and get a certified letter from them. Came back and it was lunch time....ugh....

You're lucky. I went there in March with only the embassy letter. I had a copy of my bank book, but it wasn't enough. Luckily, I bank with Bangkok Bank, who has a branch around the corner. Had to run out and get a certified letter from them. Came back and it was lunch time....ugh....

and you are American? That does suck that you had to go through that but I just did mine renewal a few months ago and all went smooth as silk. No extra proof as far as income other than the embassy letter. I do make regular wires to bring funds into Thailand so if I really had to show money coming in to support my family I could (I mean, how else would I have money here to support my family) but all I could show was my bank book showing semi regular incoming wires.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to go for my yearly extension next week. Kilos of paperwork. I dread it. sad.png

The yearly is definitely more difficult. The road is in bad shape. Kinda one way, except for the many who ignore that.

I did avail myself of a beer afterwards at one of the many beer bars nearby. whistling.gif Kinda helped ease the pain!!tongue.png

I have to go for my yearly extension next week. Kilos of paperwork. I dread it. sad.png

Phil I know you are going for extension based on marriage, the process is just the same as last year, but after you have done the extension, be prepared for a long wait, I did mine in June and the decision has still not arrived back from Bangkok. They said today that I've to come back again in maybe 1 or 2 weeks to see if it has arrived.

Ps: Here is the list of the documents I needed for the extension.

http://www.thaivisa....attaya-jomtien/

Edited by MJCM

Phil I know you are going for extension based on marriage, the process is just the same as last year, but after you have done the extension, be prepared for a long wait, I did mine in June and the decision has still not arrived back from Bangkok. They said today that I've to come back again in maybe 1 or 2 weeks to see if it has arrived.

Ps: Here is the list of the documents I needed for the extension.

http://www.thaivisa....attaya-jomtien/

When I queried Jomtien immigration for an extension based on marriage I got a negative response & they strongly recommended I apply for extension based on retirement. As discussed on another thread you get the impression they don't like the extra workload. Also I was informed "if successful" could be up to 90 days to process.

When I queried Jomtien immigration for an extension based on marriage I got a negative response & they strongly recommended I apply for extension based on retirement. As discussed on another thread you get the impression they don't like the extra workload. Also I was informed "if successful" could be up to 90 days to process.

My problem is that I am not old enough to apply for a extension based on retirement. If I get rejected (there is no reason why they should, because we are happily living together and have sufficient funds) I will get a Multiple Non-O from one of the Embassy's / Consulates in the neighborhood and will not bother with Immigration anymore.

My problem is that I am not old enough to apply for a extension based on retirement. If I get rejected (there is no reason why they should, because we are happily living together and have sufficient funds) I will get a Multiple Non-O from one of the Embassy's / Consulates in the neighborhood and will not bother with Immigration anymore.

OK. Hope it all goes well for you